BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Put old dishwasher on the curb, received email from "Shaqueen" offering "to cook [me] dinner or something-something" if I'd drive it to her place and install it. "My bo won't mind, he's in prison for being a dumbass."

Kharn
View Quote

Do you still have her number?

Got a dishwasher I need to get rid of.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#2]
OP, the only mistake that you made was letting it get loaded on the trailer without payment in hand. Money first. He could have kicked you in the balls and then just drove off.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What I am Selling: Jackson Bass, Effects Pedals, ART Processor

Purchaser: Hi Matt, I was wondering if we could try to work out a complete trade for your Jackson Bass.
Im not talking about all musical equipment or items'.. For example a Brand new Camcorder an some kool pedals I mean I will have to look to see what I have an what I am willing to let go!! But first thing is first' what you think about it. Now I am on disability an my check is shot for the month of April but for May I could kick in sum cash but do not know how much but atleast there can be sum cash involved but the problem with that is its too far away an the Bass gtr. could be gone bye then!!
Well I might be able to do a little cash here but I don't know yet till later this afternoon an I will get with you on the phone next time if your willing to work something out" I Hope so  anyways!!! So thanks Matt an I hope we can do Business..
Peace & Out!!......... Nesto Chavez

Me:
Depends on what you have.

Purchaser:
Sounds good n reasonable so later I will get busy an check out my stash of things an I don't mean junk neither sir. Not about to insult you!! Thank you n chat at ya soon!!
Nesto  

Purchaser (an hour later):
I have a question Matt on the Bass" like all my guitars I love my String Action nice & Level Low next to 1 another evenly,.. the lower the better with NO FRET BUZZ' it don't have to be extremely low but im sure you know what I mean so I can do my Slap Jammin on the Bass!! So are the Strings nice & low & evenly or am I goin to need to take it in for an intonation action set up?? I am very serious to you about this Deal so I want you to know Matt I wont waste yor time!!! Thank you!.......... Nesto Chavez

Me:
They are pretty low with faint/light buzz...you can eliminate all the buzz but that would require raising the strings/action (which I find more difficult to play and slows ya down) or by using the thinnest gauge strings possible...It has brand new D'Adarrio EXL165TP's on it.

Purchaser: Well if your willin to work with me im willing to wave the Buzz and just have to take it in for a set up an the Strings sound sweet so no worries there. Ok thank you and I shall be in contact with you later. Thanks again Bro. I appreciate it!!!

Purchaser (a day later):
Just wanted to let you know I am sill working on sum things and I am waiting on a friend of mine who is to buy something that I have that he wants so to finance your Bass!! My thing is is to mix it up with sum cash for ya so its not all gear & that's what I am working on but unfortunately he idnt show up but then again he told me it might be today or 2moro or Sun. or Monday or never that Bastard" lol. well he is trying cuz I know he wants what I got badly!! thanks an I shall be in touch Matt so plz stay patient!! thanks!.... Nesto.

ME: Go away.

Purchaser:
You know what? I had fucking great news for you! No it wasn't our income tax but just as GOOD!! AFLAC Check worth over $1222.oo And I swear to my God that my wife got the check in the mail this morning & your telling me to go away????????haha.. And on top of that I was goin to buy your Chorus pedal & effect Processor with Floor control Switch Board and your telling me to go away???????????????? lol.. Then Your wish is my command & im not goin to argue with sum1 who has the whole world by the ASS ok & if that's what you want"{GLADLY}You got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There r far more & better equipment around here then just your stuff! Your stuff has been laying around for a long time on craigslist an you have been trying to sell your stuff for over a Century now an with your additude you can add another CENTURY!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 DICK HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

Me: Yes, I am a dickhead and have the world by the ass. I don't need to sell anything and I don't need some dick stroking  (Edited due to COC) for a pen pal.

View Quote

lol that's pretty good.

I tried to sell some gun stuff on craigslist before, some soft armor, optics etc.

I got a guy that asked if I was interested in custom walking sticks or lessons on how to carve said walking sticks lol.

Yours is pretty entertaining though.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not craiglsist but armslist.........same thing sometimes.

Guy post a revolver for sale.

I literally had the cash in my wallet when he posted the AD. Emailed him and told him I would give him his asking price, no haggling, no bullshit. He is stationed on Fort Riley ( me too) so this should be an easy, quick deal.

Send him the first email and got a prompt reply saying "Cool, I'll bring ti to work tomorrow and we can meet up"

Never heard back from him, sent him one more email to see what was up but that's it.  

FOr fucks sake, dude offers you your asking price and is willing to come meet you RIGHT FUCKING NOW and you disappear?
View Quote

If you're willing to pay asking price without haggling, I bet others were too.

Maybe someone was more insistent, and maybe someone was more direct. . . maybe his buddy bought it or he got so many "I'll take it unconditionally" that he decided he'd keep it for a month and try and re-sell it for more $

I've seen plenty of stuff come up for sale on the local forums and after the "I'll take 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths" go by. . . they just disappear.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I met a woman that needed help paying her rent. Needless to say I helped her and she helped me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:23:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Put a old diesel tank up for free on Craigslist. Only rule was whoever picked it up had to load it themselves. Of course the first idiot came alone with a tiny ass truck and started cutting up the tank next to my building.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've been looking for a 6" jointer on CL for a while. Ones in decent condition seem to go fast in my area. It's a Friday night and I was looking through the tool section and I see a good deal on a Jet jointer. I email the dude, is it still available? Yep, sure is. He says texts are better for him. Ok. So I send a text on a few questions (horsepower, number of knives). Get a quick reply back with info. Everything looks sounds good so I give the "I'll take it". Seller confirms and we setup a time to meet the next morning since it was already getting late. I get up next morning and send a quick text of "we still on". Seller responds yes. I go and rent a u- haul and text him for the address. No response. We still had an hour or so until the agreed upon time so no big deal. An hour goes by and no text. I text again and get the "sorry bro I sold it".

I give him the thanks a$$hole and block his number.
View Quote
Had a similar situation, I was looking for some full doors for my Jeep Wrangler TJ.  Low and behold I find a set in a matching color (red) for sale at a reasonable price.  Contact seller, they are still available. I ask to meet Sunday, he says no as he is a student and leaving that day early to travel back to school.  He says tonight or nothing, I say "ok." We agree to meet in a public parking lot that was about an hour drive away for each of us, I get cash, fuel up, and head to our agreed upon location.  I contact seller before I depart and once I arrive saying I am here. No response.  I wait and hour and attempt to make contact again.  No response.  I drive back irritated I didn't get the common courtesy saying he wouldn't show.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a brand new 2000 RM250, owned it for three years, maybe had 100 miles on the thing if I was lucky,  bike still looked brand new, no scratchs at all, even had a new after market Gold Series FMF pipe. I wanted $4500. After having it listed for a week a guy from Maryland wanted to come and look at it and wanted to meet in a place he could ride it.

We agree on a time and place, being he could only meet through the week I had to take a vacation day from work. I load the bike up and make the 15 mile trip to the nearest trail area which had about 400 acres to ride on. Guy shows up 2 hours late in a small beat up pickup truck with one of his friends. At this point I had the bike unloaded and ready with a full tank of fuel.  He gets out doesn't really introduce himself, gets on the bike and takes off full blast up the hollow and out of sight.  After being gone for about an hour he comes back, the bike was completely coated in mud and my brand new pipe had a big dent in it but being he said he was going to buy it I didn't say anything. Then his buddy got on and rode off. After watching his buddy ride off I notice my back tire is bent, and bad. I'm getting pissed at this point. About that time his buddy comes back and the original guy I I originally had contact with walks over. He tells me he's going to pass because he doesn't like it. And says good luck then starts for his truck.

So I start looking the bike over, deep scratches in just about all the new plastics, big dent in pipe, bike dripping in mud, engine smoking from said mud and a bent back tire. I Inform him thats fine but the bike has been extensively damaged,  just looking it over about $1200+ worth of damage.  He denies it was him jumps in his truck and takes off. Luckily I took about 10 pictures of the bike and a video just before he arrived.

I took his plate down and called the police. He didn't make it out of town before the cops got him. He was arrested for driving on a suspended and had a warrant for his arrest go figure.  Fast forward 6 months,  a lawyer and one civil court case later that he was a no show for I ended up getting all of my money back plus court cost, out of his mother of all people.

Grade A scum bag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#9]

I've got a couple rules for selling on CL.
1)  No one comes to my house.
2)  Throw-down gmail address for communications.
3)  Throw-down google voice number for communications.
4)  No one comes to my house.
5)  I put up a very detailed description of object, including good pictures of all sides of the object.  And by good pictures I mean you can make out what the object is and read the model numbers off of it.
6)  I put the general location of the object in the ad.
7)  I post what I consider to be a fair price, with obo and a note that only offers made in person will be considered, and first come first served.
8)  Once contact has been made we set up a meet at a strip mall close to me that is just off a major highway.  I have them call me as they pass a certain landmark on the highway that gives me ample time to get to the meeting place.
9)  No one comes to my house.
It's worked ok so far.

ETA, 10)  Always carry all the time.  Not necessarily just CL related, but particularly important then.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, the only mistake that you made was letting it get loaded on the trailer without payment in hand. Money first. He could have kicked you in the balls and then just drove off.
View Quote

The Glock 27 I had on my hip in a Fobus holster had the guys attention enough that I don't think a nut kicking was coming my way.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell, I have even been propisitioned for an impact wrench I had listed.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had 6 bicycles, all in great shape, but we all had just purchased new bikes.   They were in the one storage garage I have for a year or two and I wanted them gone.... wife said to set them out with the trash... I thought I'd rather see them get use as some had barely ever been ridden, and all were in great shape.... I put an ad on craigslist in the free section with pics and my phone number to text me... I posted the ad and walked out of the office for a meeting.  I guess it takes a few minutes for the ad to show up, because I'm just getting to my clients and I start getting about 10 different numbers per minute texting me about the damn bikes.  Then calls out the ass.  I must have received 200-300 texts and about 40 phone calls in the hour I was in the meeting.

dumbass
View Quote

A guy I use to work with wanted to play a prank on another guy, and posted a Craigslist ad for AKC registered German Shepard puppies - free to a good home, complete with a picture and the other guy's cell number.  I'm pretty sure the other guy ended up having to change his number.  Even after the ad was taken down, his phone was almost unusable, due to the volume of calls.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The stories you guys are putting up are awesome by the way, keep 'em coming.

I have another one as a buyer not a seller.

A local fellow put up an ad for a nice Ski-Doo MXZ.  His asking price was on the lower end of things and his pics were nice.  Lots of detail, close ups, well written ad copy.

I sent a text and told him if it was as represented I would take it at his full asking price, no response.

I e-mailed, same thing.

I called, three times.  On the fourth call he answered and said I could see the sled in two weeks when his uncle was around and could show it to me.  

I told him thanks, but no thanks.

My theory is that he didn't want to sell it and was only listing it to appease his wife.  But damn it was frustrating!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Buying on CL is a different story altogether.

Couple things I've learned:

1)  If there is more space in the ad devoted to bitching about no-shows, scammers, and low-ballers than there is actual description of the item for sale, it ain't worth the hassle.

2)  If the description reads "car for sale" and has 1 potato pic, it ain't worth the hassle.

3)  If the seller starts in with how many people are interested in the item, it ain't worth the hassle.

4)  If you question the seller about something in the description that just doesn't seem right, and they go straight to butt-hurt level 9, it ain't worth the hassle.

5)  If you're cruising CL and see something that is an obvious deal, call or email right then, it will be gone if you dilly-dally.

Something I see a lot is people posting something for sale at a ridiculously inflated price.  I usually skip those but I suspect that it is people getting tired of all the low-ball offers, so they just start stupid high hoping they will end up down around what they really expected to get in the first place.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The couple of times I bought stuff on CL I flat out asked what is the lowest price you would take. They would tell me and I would say when are you available for me to pick said item up. The last one was a camper shell. The guy did no want to tell me his name or his address. He lived two hours away. I started driving in that direction. I got halfway there and said can you tell me to what town I am heading too? 30 minutes later he finally gave me an address. The other one was a tour pak from a Harley. Told the guy when and where I would meet him. Didn't have a single issue with him at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I always carry a gun, and meet in highly crowded places...
View Quote

This...

Sold many things on CL back in MD before our move and sadly I have no stories.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I was kinda a tard/tire kicker back at the new year.

Guy in bay area had a 95 cobra with a transplanted and blown 383 stroker that came out of a wrecked 351 Cobra R.

Guy had a victor intake and heads to go with it, with stock choked intake and heads it was 480 rwhp.  Heads plus intake and it would do 600 easy.

Guy came down to 12k and was willing to meet me half way.   Was an awesome deal and we were talking straight with no pretenses.   Basically he got sick of assholes and tire kickers and I was the last attempt before he decided to sell it.

I would have spent every last bit of savings to make it work.  I was just freshly paid off on EVERYTHING and the only unknown was if I would owe taxes or get a refund.

He decided to keep the car and I got a fat refund.   Now, 6 months later I have the cash and then some but he doesnt want to sell and I do not blame him.

It is for the best as I have two other projects to complete.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Glock 27 I had on my hip in a Fobus holster had the guys attention enough that I don't think a nut kicking was coming my way.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think the Fobus holster put you over the top as a tier 1 badass?   I mean, It's a little better than an Uncle Mikes...  Did you have to keep touching the butt of your pistol ot make sure it was still kinda hidden, but obvious to see?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:10:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do you think the Fobus holster put you over the top as a tier 1 badass?   I mean, It's a little better than an Uncle Mikes...  Did you have to keep touching the butt of your pistol ot make sure it was still kinda hidden, but obvious to see?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man, you got my number!  You definitely put me in my place!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a 2008 ski-doo summit mountain snowmobile that i was selling on Cl, a few years back. I get alot of lowball offers, until finally a kid from a town about 150 miles away calls, and says he  wants it, and thinks it perfect for him, but having only owned short track sleds, he wants to look at in person.I said sure, and we set up a time to meet.
In the mean time, i tell several potential buyers, i had  a guy that  was comming to pick it up soon, but if that fell through, i would let them know.
The guy finally shows up, after driving 150 miles, but shows up in a car, with no trailer.My instincts should have kicked in, but no.The guy, his dad, and friend (mechanic) look it over top to bottom, and say yep, this is what we want, can we take it for  a quick ride? Against my better judgement, i say, if you are super careful,this thing has over 150 hp.Oh yes, I understand.The guy gets on, does not even warm it up, and just  rips down the field by my house.I couldnt believe it.I was pretty Pissed, when he got back, but since he was about to pay me, i held it in.
The guy gets off ,happy as hell, and says, yep, i will take it, just let my mechanic check it out, and we have a deal.Here we go again, now the mechanic beats the crap out it  for 20 mins.I figured, well its yours now, do what you want. The mechanic gets back gives his blessing, and i start organizing all of the extras, and talk about when he wanted to pick it up.The guy says, can my dad ride  it quick, sure why not, your buying it right? Yep. Dad does the same thing, and then kid rides it one last time.
.This has eaten up most of my saturday now, but at least  i sold it. When all of the joy ridding is done, they all walk to their car, and kinda make it sounds  like  they dont really want a mountain  sled, sorry, and thanks  for your time.
I was litterally in shock, i stood there with my mouth open, speechless, as they drove away.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not only that, but I got to laugh out loud.  It's a good day.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too, now if I only had time to make 20 posts a day for the last 9 months I would be in heaven!
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Me too, now if I only had time to make 20 posts a day for the last 9 months I would be in heaven!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, I hear that. But they are quality posts.  Lighten up, see the humor in what you wrote, don't take yourself os seriously.  You might find you have an easier time of it in your next craigslist deal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
You know what.  You are right.  I am sorry, honestly.

I am not usually a dink.  I don't even know why I took offense in the first place.

Let's get this thread back on track with more humor.  

And maybe I am not a tier one badass, tier two maybe?
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I sell all sorts of farm related goodies and this stupid bitch from a horse rescue emails me all the time wanting me to "donate" my tractor, bushhog, barn package, etc.

Last time I heard from her I told her I was taking a load of horses to the packing plant, she has never called again
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had a brand new 2000 RM250, owned it for three years, maybe had 100 miles on the thing if I was lucky,  bike still looked brand new, no scratchs at all, even had a new after market Gold Series FMF pipe. I wanted $4500. After having it listed for a week a guy from Maryland wanted to come and look at it and wanted to meet in a place he could ride it.

We agree on a time and place, being he could only meet through the week I had to take a vacation day from work. I load the bike up and make the 15 mile trip to the nearest trail area which had about 400 acres to ride on. Guy shows up 2 hours late in a small beat up pickup truck with one of his friends. At this point I had the bike unloaded and ready with a full tank of fuel.  He gets out doesn't really introduce himself, gets on the bike and takes off full blast up the hollow and out of sight.  After being gone for about an hour he comes back, the bike was completely coated in mud and my brand new pipe had a big dent in it but being he said he was going to buy it I didn't say anything. Then his buddy got on and rode off. After watching his buddy ride off I notice my back tire is bent, and bad. I'm getting pissed at this point. About that time his buddy comes back and the original guy I I originally had contact with walks over. He tells me he's going to pass because he doesn't like it. And says good luck then starts for his truck.

So I start looking the bike over, deep scratches in just about all the new plastics, big dent in pipe, bike dripping in mud, engine smoking from said mud and a bent back tire. I Inform him thats fine but the bike has been extensively damaged,  just looking it over about $1200+ worth of damage.  He denies it was him jumps in his truck and takes off. Luckily I took about 10 pictures of the bike and a video just before he arrived.

I took his plate down and called the police. He didn't make it out of town before the cops got him. He was arrested for driving on a suspended and had a warrant for his arrest go figure.  Fast forward 6 months,  a lawyer and one civil court case later that he was a no show for I ended up getting all of my money back plus court cost, out of his mother of all people.

Grade A scum bag.
View Quote

you know....

it is shit lime this that is equal parts sad, hilarious, and rage inducing.

Guy is smart enough to work out a scam for a free dirt bike ride.   But not smart enough to figure out his criminal acts are piling up and gets caught for some stupid shit.

Glad the police did something for you and treated the call seriously and didnt sluff it off as civil.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Four groups of Mexican men show up at the same time for a clean Toyota pickup.

Let your imagination run wild.

View Quote

Not a CL story but relevant to yours.  

My BIL sold a few parts off of a car on Ebay.  The buyer asks if there are any other parts available.  BIL says yes.  Buyer offers $ to take whatever he wants off.  It was about what the car was worth so BIL says sure.  

5 young latino gentlemen show up and strip her down to nothing if a few hours.  It was awesome.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had a 2008 ski-doo summit mountain snowmobile that i was selling on Cl, a few years back. I get alot of lowball offers, until finally a kid from a town about 150 miles away calls, and says he  wants it, and thinks it perfect for him, but having only owned short track sleds, he wants to look at in person.I said sure, and we set up a time to meet.
In the mean time, i tell several potential buyers, i had  a guy that  was comming to pick it up soon, but if that fell through, i would let them know.
The guy finally shows up, after driving 150 miles, but shows up in a car, with no trailer.My instincts should have kicked in, but no.The guy, his dad, and friend (mechanic) look it over top to bottom, and say yep, this is what we want, can we take it for  a quick ride? Against my better judgement, i say, if you are super careful,this thing has over 150 hp.Oh yes, I understand.The guy gets on, does not even warm it up, and just  rips down the field by my house.I couldnt believe it.I was pretty Pissed, when he got back, but since he was about to pay me, i held it in.
The guy gets off ,happy as hell, and says, yep, i will take it, just let my mechanic check it out, and we have a deal.Here we go again, now the mechanic beats the crap out it  for 20 mins.I figured, well its yours now, do what you want. The mechanic gets back gives his blessing, and i start organizing all of the extras, and talk about when he wanted to pick it up.The guy says, can my dad ride  it quick, sure why not, your buying it right? Yep. Dad does the same thing, and then kid rides it one last time.
.This has eaten up most of my saturday now, but at least  i sold it. When all of the joy ridding is done, they all walk to their car, and kinda make it sounds  like  they dont really want a mountain  sled, sorry, and thanks  for your time.
I was litterally in shock, i stood there with my mouth open, speechless, as they drove away.
View Quote

At that point it is "your mechanic can look it over all he wants but test drives are over until I have cash in hand."
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At that point it is "your mechanic can look it over all he wants but test drives are over until I have cash in hand."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely THIS. I never allow test rides on motorcycles without cash in hand. Too many stories like this to tempt fate.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:33:20 AM EDT
[#30]
These people arent just on CL.  These are real people and CL doesnt make them into retards, thats just how they are.  They vote, drive and have children. CL is just an opportunity to see how stupid most people are. Remember, the average person isnt very bright and half of people are dumber than that
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Grade A scum bag.
View Quote

This is why I have "full amount, cash in my hand if you want a test ride" policy, even if I do have full coverage insurance.
It keeps the joy rides down to 0.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
The worst idiots are those that want to buy an old car/truck but have no idea what they are getting into. I have got to the point of telling some people that restoring an old car is not for them. Especially for those that want it to become a daily driver.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:18:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This is why I have "full amount, cash in my hand if you want a test ride" policy, even if I do have full coverage insurance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grade A scum bag.

This.  People really let others joy ride their stuff around without cash in hand?
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:51:07 AM EDT
[#34]
About 5 years ago, I was selling a old Chevy Cavalier on CL and had a jail bait 17 year old girl show up looking at it. Basically she want to trade her "services" for the car. I politely told her cash only and she would need someone over 18 to come back and buy the car.

Next day she shows back up with both parents and after they bought the car and was given the title, I told them both what their little precious daughter had done the day earlier and they both about popped a gasket on their daughter and wailing ensued.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Back before Internet I called about a truck for sale in the local paper. The guy gave me directions, I went and test drove. Didn't like the truck, but I really needed one and this one was within my budget. Told him I wasn't sure, let me think about. He said ok. I leave. Next day I get home from work and the caller ID shows that he called me 26 times. I call him back and tell him I thought about it and I don't want it. Again, he says ok. Next 3 days the same thing happens, over 2 dozen calls per day on my caller ID, all from him. I ignore him at this point. A week or so later, he calls again. I answer and tell him that I just bought a truck yesterday, so I'm definitely, positively sure that I'm not going to buy his truck. He screams something into the phone that sounds like "fuck you for wasting my time!" and hangs up.

Weird. Whatever.

Couple months later, I get a second job at a small grocery store in town. This same guy comes in the store as a customer. He acts like we had never met, he doesn't recognize me at all. He tried to have a pleasant conversation about the nice weather and what kind of bacon he prefers. I told him I had work to do, have a nice day.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:31:15 AM EDT
[#36]
A good friend of mine got scammed badly on Craigslist recently. I wouldn't normally call him an idiot, but in this case he ignored EVERY single red flag. The "how to avoid a scam" info on Craigslist was basically a checklist of things he did.

Long story short, he has a Ford Ranchero for sale. Someone from out of state offers to buy it, as long as my friend pays for half the cost of shipping it to Florida. He wires them $500. Nobody showed up, but there was a long text conversation going on. I think he finally caught on when the scammer told him that the truck was stuck in Wisconsin customs, and that he would need to wire them more mobey to get the truck back on the road.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Sold a set of plastic dune buggy seats for 40 bucks. Guy over an hour away says he will take them if I bring them to him for free. I told him delivery was a buck a mile.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#38]
I put an ad up for 4 snow tires mounted on 4 steel FJ Cruiser wheels.

Ad clearly stated these were a 6 bolt Toyota wheel (for brake clearance questions), and would only fit a lifted truck. I get a response back from a guy who wants these for his Tacoma (my ad did specify that they fit Tacos, but there are 5 and 6 bolt pattern Tacos, and I had also stressed the LIFTED part).

30 something sumbich shows up the next day with a 5-bolt 2WD Taco, with the car-sized tires on it.

The tires I was selling were 35" in overall diameter. Propped up against his truck, they are taller then the WHEEL WELLS, let alone the bolt pattern being wrong. There is no universe in which they'd fit.

Dude is angry and said I misrepresented the sale, I whip out my phone and show him the ad that clearly outlines the type and size of the wheels and tires. He then accuses me of lying and that he wants gas money from driving from outside Denver to COS.

I told him he can buy the tires and wheels if he has another vehicle they will fit, but the guy is essentially hell bent on calling me a liar and starting something (and I'm beginning to question if he had other motives for calling me out for the sale). He then gets on his cell phone with his "bro" and starts arguing with the guy, his tone changes and then he just takes 600 cash out of his pocket and asks for help loading the tires into his truck.

I never asked WTF, and drove off once the last tire got out of my hands.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I've had pretty good luck with Craigslist, although I haven't used it much.  

I listed a sportbike, Honda 1000RR, one fall with no real response.  The next spring I got an email out of the blue saying he was a military guy about to come home from deployment in a week or two and was looking for that specific color and year, and did I still have the bike for sale.  I did, but told him that was my 'fall' price, it was now riding weather and the price would be higher.  The next Saturday he was on my doorstep with cash in hand.  I have no idea how he stumbled across my ad after that long, but we both ended up happy with the deal.

Man, I miss that bike.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I was selling a propane heater once, guy contacted me and said he'd pay my asking price and give me a little for delivery if I'd bring it by his place. He was right on my way to work, so no problem. I pull into this weird, long, abandoned looking driveway that went forever back into a field. There at the back of the field is an old shitty trailer in the woods. As I stop the car, I look and there's a pair of legs hanging out of an open door, no shoes, with a monitor bracelet around one ankle. Dude is laying there, in his underwear, passed out.

Awesome.

As I get closer to him (wondering if he's dead), his dog jumps over him (waking him up) and charges me. Little scottie/pug mix looking nightmare. I scrambled back towards my car with this little shitty ankle biter nipping at my jeans and it finally gets a good bite on my calf. I reflexively kicked the little shit and it ran under his trailer. I look up and I see the guy standing there, looking all disheveled, and he goes "Yeah man, kick that motherfucker!" lol

So, I get the heater and bring it to him, and he tells me he can't leave the house (points to his ankle bracelet), and hands me some cash.

I grab it and get in the car thinking I can't get out of their fast enough, and what's hilarious is as I start pulling away he turns so I'm kind of looking at him from the side and I see he's got a boner going on...it's poking out of his underwear like a flagpole. He's standing there just surveying his kingdom, in his undies with a boner.

Just had to shake my head and laugh. The way some people live.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Most CL idiot stories are because the seller was an idiot as well. NEVER hold shit and if you do, 24 hours Max.

People that e-mail me about trades or stupid low ball offers go right to the trash, I  don't waste time on them. Anytime I sold something it was a good product for a good price and sold it within the day.

In for the stories though
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was selling a propane heater once, guy contacted me and said he'd pay my asking price and give me a little for delivery if I'd bring it by his place. He was right on my way to work, so no problem. I pull into this weird, long, abandoned looking driveway that went forever back into a field. There at the back of the field is an old shitty trailer in the woods. As I stop the car, I look and there's a pair of legs hanging out of an open door, no shoes, with a monitor bracelet around one ankle. Dude is laying there, in his underwear, passed out.

Awesome.

As I get closer to him (wondering if he's dead), his dog jumps over him (waking him up) and charges me. Little scottie/pug mix looking nightmare. I scrambled back towards my car with this little shitty ankle biter nipping at my jeans and it finally gets a good bite on my calf. I reflexively kicked the little shit and it ran under his trailer. I look up and I see the guy standing there, looking all disheveled, and he goes "Yeah man, kick that motherfucker!" lol

So, I get the heater and bring it to him, and he tells me he can't leave the house (points to his ankle bracelet), and hands me some cash.

I grab it and get in the car thinking I can't get out of their fast enough, and what's hilarious is as I start pulling away he turns so I'm kind of looking at him from the side and I see he's got a boner going on...it's poking out of his underwear like a flagpole. He's standing there just surveying his kingdom, in his undies with a boner.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#43]
The only exchange I've had from CL was with a girl who was selling a diamond tennis bracelet for not even half of what it was worth.
She couldn't make it the first day because she was child sitting and trying to stay afloat by doing so.

Everything went smoothly, met on time, item was exactly as pictured.  She seemed excited that I gave her an extra $20 over her asking too but I figured she needed the money.

I have understood that my experience was far outside the "norm".  I have had worse experiences on our own "internal" board than on CL.
It really lets you know how horrible some of the people who work here are.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Awesome.

View Quote

whyd you hafta go an make me famous?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I buy and sell on Craigslist A LOT.

Always get a chuckle out of the people that post something like "NO SCAMMERS! DO NOT EMAIL ME!"

They're about as effective as "gun free zone" signs are at deterring crime.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Had a fellow try that line on me once.
When I texted him back asking him to pick up Two for me at that price he went ballistic!
Wish I had saved the spittle filled rant he sent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I think I was asking $350 or so. I had this guy who kept offering $150, and I kept politely telling him no. He kept emailing me that he was seeing identical ones all over the place for $150,

Had a fellow try that line on me once.
When I texted him back asking him to pick up Two for me at that price he went ballistic!
Wish I had saved the spittle filled rant he sent.

Love it!
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Speaking of motorcycles i had idiots actually ask me if i would finance it for them???(but you can hold the title till its paid off)
Or they would have someone else call for them, and everything i would say would be relayed to somebody else, with the accompanying dalay...
Selling a gun on tx gun trader or armslist stating monies needed for another gun and some idiot actually asked i would trade a fkn bow???wtf am i william tell over here?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#48]
I sold a refrigerator 2 weeks ago (as in i have been paid in full) but cant get the fucker to come pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Speaking of motorcycles i had idiots actually ask me if i would finance it for them???(but you can hold the title till its paid off)
Or they would have someone else call for them, and everything i would say would be relayed to somebody else, with the accompanying dalay...
Selling a gun on tx gun trader or armslist stating monies needed for another gun and some idiot actually asked i would trade a fkn bow???wtf am i william tell over here?
View Quote

The relay may be because the potential buyer is deaf, hard of hearing, or non-english speaking.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The best trade offers I got were the chick that sent a picture of her mouth and offered to blow me every Thursday for two months in trade....
View Quote

Sold!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top