Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I also want my GF/future wife to know how to an IFAK also. Since I would be the one in a gunfight if it occurred at home and if I took a bullet she could at least patch me up till medical arrived.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Have a full trauma bag, tq, trach kit, sutures, staple gun, etc. Trained in the use of everything in it. Quickclot too, But that stuff is really for OhFuckYoureGonnaBleedOut moments when there's no other option available. Nasty shit and can cause its own problems. Really shouldn't be carried by anyone who doesn't understand this.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:38:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, including NPA's and chest needles. Haters gonna hate. I actually have three: one is in my POV, one attached to my active shooter rig in the trunk, and the other in the front seat of my patrol car.

I also keep tourniquets in my front door pockets and one on my person.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Aside from basic boo-boo kits with bandaids and meds and such, I have a few kits that contain SOFT-TW tourniquets, QC Combat Gauze, Olaes or Israeli bandages, HALO chest seals, compressed gauze, 5x9 pads, petrolatum gauze, and Durapore tape.  Needles and tubes are above my level of training.  One rides in the truck, one in my work bag, a few at home.  

Lone Star Medics runs some good classes for the lay person if you're in the north Texas area.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I keep a Tactical Med. Solutions Drop Leg med kit in my car. Mostly, it's there when I'm shooting as my car is always with me.

I had CLS training years ago, so I can't say for certain I could perform 100% casualty support, but I ought to be able to aide in a GSW until medics arrived. I keep a separate first aid kit with Band-Aids and neosporin, etc. in my car for everyday stuff for my kids.

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:18:12 AM EDT
[#6]

$85 plus shipping for this one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'll have to look them up.  I have bought most of my stuff at gun shows.  Maybe they have booths there?  I really didn't pay attention to who it was I was buying from.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
... of course

In Arizona, your go-to company is the Tactical Medic in Mesa.
Stock up on all related provisions there

I'll have to look them up.  I have bought most of my stuff at gun shows.  Maybe they have booths there?  I really didn't pay attention to who it was I was buying from.

Tactical Medic is hosting IFAK Life Saver and Invasive Trauma Interventions classes by Independence Training on April 26th and May 9th in Mesa, also June 20th and July 11th in Prescott Valley.
Check this post in the AZ HTF for details.

Instructor is an arfcommer: rizzo1318.

I'm not affiliated with either group, just passing along the good word.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 7:53:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

An NPA does not qualify as an advanced airway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a med bag in my truck for scene response with the fd(EMT) so no....most people all they will ever use are baindaids and maybe a roller gauze bandage and a couple 4x4's

Also every first aid kit needs something to sustain an airway without an airway ya got nothing.

Remember the number 1 killer or Americans is heart disease you are more likely to die because of what's on your fork, your lack of exercise and that you won't quit smoking then by being shot.

That said I do have a CAT tourniquet and quick clot in a kit we got off a state grant.....I honestly doubt I will ever use more then a basic pressure dressing.....but hey I've got it lol

Funny cuz I keep band aids, gloves, Benadryl and Asa in my little ziplock bag

How many people know how to drop an advanced airway?

An NPA does not qualify as an advanced airway.

That really depends on where you cram it, though, amiright? If I'm waving a pocket knife in one hand and an NPA in the other, with my eyes fixated on your gently bobbing Adam's apple, it's about to get messy and advanced.

This reminds me that I need to go through & update my stuff. I have a STOMP 2 filled with advanced stuff at home, small BOK on my belt rig and chest rigs plus a NARP leg rig for various shooting activities, and a NARP squad kit in my daily driver. This thread also reminds me to go do another ATLS course.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:...
I do have an IV set in here that I'm not certified to use, but I don't care.  ...
View Quote

NVG is probably still glad you had that.  

OK, well... maybe not during.  But certainly afterwards.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:43:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
I do have an IV set in here that I'm not certified to use, but I don't care.  ...

That wasn't mine.  I was snoring drunkenly when that happened.  Sadly.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#11]
not for $80
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes I do, yes I can, and that kit in the first link looks half useless.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

But still half usable
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/Lance1775/media/IMG_1126_zps947ae301.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn77/Lance1775/IMG_1126_zps947ae301.jpg</a>$85 plus shipping for this one.
View Quote

What pouch is that?  USGI?  Very similar contents to what I built for the family, different pouches.  No shears, Benchmade 7 hook and 4" Olaes.  Kid used a Condor MA21 pouch at a recent run-n-gun and had the whole thing fillet open and spilling some of contents on the sprint to the finish.  Grey-Ghost slim kit worked for me but I wasn't moving as fast and hard.  Kid needs something slim/less bulky, and secure... Looking for alternatives or might just go with another GG/TT pouch or something tall/slim like that.   HSGI maybe.  I like the look of the USGI pouches as they look secure, but also bulky...

The family attended the Lone Star Medics Medic-1 class to get hands on with TQ's, trauma dressing, wound-packing etc.  Kids also got their CPR cert via that class for when the old-man keels over at a run-n-gun. Great class. http://lonestarmedics.com/medic-1/

ETA: Brother pointed out that it's a SAW pouch...
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Marz Tactical Patrol IFAK strapped to the headrest of each seat in my truck.  I each Patrol IFAK is a SOFT-Wide TQ, a TacMed Solutions Olaes pressurebandage, a HALO chest seal, a Sharpie, a small amount of duct tape, and a pair of nitrils gloves.  I have a disposable CPR mask clipped to each IFAK.  

I have an old NARP squad medic thigh rig in the truck with is loaded with Kerlix, Coban, Ace bandages, and Water Jel.  It serves the purpose as "Hey I need more bandages" or "That isnt bad enough an injury to use pressure bandages".  I'm thinking about removing some Kerlix and adding an Olaes Blast Bandage.

I have 40 hours of training over the last 2 year in field and tactical medicine, so I am confident in the use of those tools.  I am NOT confident in using needles, but will eventually carry them for others to use.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 3:32:44 AM EDT
[#16]
like, do I carry an IFAK with me on all times or something? No, I don't.

Do I have one on my gear and have a big ass trauma bag? Yes I do.

Do I know how to use it? Yes, I do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Not true for QuickClot Combat Gauze. The stuff you guys are talking about hasn't been in the Army inventory in almost a decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've found medical packs to be useless accessories when carried by people with no medical training.

The last time I saw an accident at a range three guys tried to field dress a huge cut (guy fell into a prairie dog hole on the range) and made a mess of it until I got my hands on him.

I also remember reading that quick clot and other agents created more of a mess for surgeons to deal with when simple pressure or a tourniquet would have worked.

Also true, some of the older ones have alumina that should be dialized from the blood because of cell toxicity.

Quik clot is holy shit you're bleeding to death with no help in sight and will die, not bleeding that can be addressed with pressure and a tourniquet.

Not true for QuickClot Combat Gauze. The stuff you guys are talking about hasn't been in the Army inventory in almost a decade.

I was gonna say, either the new stuff (combat gauze) works different than it was explained to me, or they aren't up to date.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 5:03:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But still half usable
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But still half usable

Touche.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#19]

X10 CLS bags

Too much med gear to post.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#20]
68W, EMT (wilderness and tactical too) etc here.

So yeah I know how to use the fuck outta some band aids and Motrin. Change your socks btw.

All my shooting gear and armor rigs have FAKs. Work belt has a TQ on it, chest seal and quick clot in my vest behind the trauma plate, and IFAK in my bag.

Bigass aid bag in my car.

Medical gear out the ass.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's right Spunk used his shit... or did he have to dig into Cazzi's stuff?

Any rate, it was pretty funny to hear Spunk trying to burn through the fog "Stop fighting me, I'm trying to help you!"

I just rolled over and went back to sleep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#22]
All my kits are built to my skill level. I have other items outside my skill level for friends who have said skills.
Several ifak /bok /vok whatevers...larger trifold m3 ...larger tote....and larger tote after that...
Car has a large fak with a gallon ziplock filled with bleeder /gsw only gear and labeled as such...the rest is "ouch...daddy I scraped my knee " shit.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:38:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is kinda relevant, but I got a chance to train with probably the best TQ I've used so far.  It is fast, easy and gets tight as hell with the use of one hand.  They pack easier and are quicker to deploy and pretty much idiot proof.  

http://ratstourniquet.com/product/rats/

I am not affiliated with the maker of this product, I just got exposed to it a while ago at a trauma class.   They are for sure cheap enough that a person can buy one and compare them.
View Quote

Just read back through the thread and saw this...

Sure, as far as a one handed compact TQ... It works... For arms. For compact I prefer SWATT but those are a bitch one handed.

I think overall as a primary TQ, it's a fucking turd and should not replace a CAT or SOFT. Did you try putting it on a leg? Pain in the ass. Barely enough there for someone who doesn't skip leg day either.

I'll still keep it in my bag, because for children and K9s it'll work well. But that's about the only thing I'd use it for unless I exhausted all my other TQs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sure, as far as a one handed compact TQ... It works... For arms. For compact I prefer SWATT but those are a bitch one handed.

I think overall as a primary TQ, it's a fucking turd and should not replace a CAT or SOFT. Did you try putting it on a leg? Pain in the ass. Barely enough there for someone who doesn't skip leg day either.

I'll still keep it in my bag, because for children and K9s it'll work well. But that's about the only thing I'd use it for unless I exhausted all my other TQs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is kinda relevant, but I got a chance to train with probably the best TQ I've used so far.  It is fast, easy and gets tight as hell with the use of one hand.  They pack easier and are quicker to deploy and pretty much idiot proof.  

http://ratstourniquet.com/product/rats/

I am not affiliated with the maker of this product, I just got exposed to it a while ago at a trauma class.   They are for sure cheap enough that a person can buy one and compare them.

While I agree that the rats TQ doesn't replace the SOF-T or CAT as a primary TQ, it's head and shoulders above the TK4 or similar for someone who is putting together a minimalist kit to be carried on a duty belt / uniform pocket, etc.

I hate the SWAT TQ. Had a chance to help several students work with a wide range of TQs in an urban tactics class, and thr SWAT was the slowest and most difficult for the group by far.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#25]
OPAs and NPAs aren't advanced airways, . I don't think supraglottic airways should be considered advanced either but what do I know.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Yes. Yes. Yes

Medic here. Kits in both cars. 3 including my full aid bag in house. I got it all covered. No snakebite kit, they haven't been proven to ever be useful. Neither has the method of "sucking out the venom". Any kind of small cut from even brushing/flossing teeth can allow venom to enter rescuers body also. Best treatment for snakebites is a semi-tight tourniquet/constricting band above snakebite and get to hospital and hope they have anti-venin.

Any shooter/outdoorsmen should have some kind of blowout kit on hand. They are very cheap to purchase. Accidents always happen when you least expect them.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#27]
I can now wholeheartedly say yes.  Just last week I completed a course from JTM training group here in Las Vegas. Course of instruction went over TCCC. Medical side of it went over treating uncontrolled hemoraging through tourniquets, treating tension pneumothorax, cricheotamy, etc., and a whole gamut of shooting skills.  Great course. Grueling, but great medical knowledge gained and advanced ground tactics.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#28]
All you all pussies just need to drink a canteen of water and drive on. Maybe pop some Motrin if it's really bad....

But in all seriousness, yes I do carry medical.  I have an IFAK in the range bag, one on my battle belt, one on my LBE, one on my PC, two big ones in my house, a medium sized IFAK in each car, and IFAKs in each of my hiking packs/bags. That puts me in a position where I almost always have an IFAK on me and another within seconds. Most importantly I know how to use them and have experience dealing with trauma
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes, Yes and Yes ( I think there was three questions by the OP).

J-
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top