Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife used to employ the same cleaning methods... just throw it all away.  She even has special thing black lawn trash bags so I can't see what is in side.

Now she doesn't throw it away, she puts my stuff "away".  Unfortunately she has a terrible memory and can't recall where she puts anything.  At least when it was thrown away, I didn't waste time looking for things I'll never find.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I told my girlfriend when we were dating, you touch anything in my garage and we're done. When I married her I re-emphasized the point.

I am now selling my home and we are buying one together. First thing she said to the realtor when we went looking when she asked about the garage was "Oh, that's all on him, I don't touch the garage without asking and he doesn't touch the kitchen without asking" We have trained each other very well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just went out to get a file to sharpen my chainsaw and noticed something was amiss. The chainsaw file, and every file in fact were gone. Upon passing the (2) 55 gallon trash cans i keep out there i glance into them and see an array of my things. Including a brand new $120 snowmobile seat cover "In the box" i had bought to replace the torn seat on my old Indy. The impossible to find sealed beam headlights for my old Case tractor. My brass tumbler, and half a bag of walnut shell media, and much much more. So still haven't found my files, and seem to have lost most of my mind along the way. Was having thoughts of coming in the house and "Cleaning" all of her favorite rooms but just poured myself some Captain, sat down at the computer and started preying for the strength instead.

She thinks she did the greatest thing, but we've been together for 10 years, and we've been through this. It's part of the master plan isn't it? I must be rendered completely insane.

How does one proceed? I should have rushed around and took it all in at once, cause when i go back out there I know I'm going to realize the full scope of the "Cleaning" and with my already frail emotional state I just might lose it.
View Quote
You need to put up no trespassing signs.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The answer is to bring the 2 trash cans into the living room, dump them on the floor, and begin looking for your stuff.
View Quote

I'm going with this...or have her sort thru and put everything back precisely where you had it, and she gets to clean up the aftermath of that as you supervise.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Pour a decent glass of captain and go for a stroll.

Paper and crayon is optional.  I guess she tossed all your scrap wood, if not use scrap wood instead of paper.

Make a list with rough estimates for replacement cost.

If it hit the trash, it goes on list.

If trash ran this week, then look carefully.

If she hauls stuff to the dump on her own, look carefully.

When done round up as you add things up and say thanks for cleaning darlin, it will only cost 3k dollars to replace what you tossed since a lot of that stuff is no longer made and no longer easy to find and the case needs its headlight spares.

If she considers it worth her time to waste 3k dollars, then so be it.

And I don't care if you are only out time, you spend the 3k dollars on a proper mechanics tool box, the roll around auto mechanic type, and lock it.  You build or go find some used cabinets or buy new ones, I don't like the new flimsy ones, for locking up the larger items like the chain saw and what not.

chainsaw should also have its own case with room in it for its files and spare chains and filters and plugs and fuel mix and other stuff.  Ok, maybe the chainsaw stuff needs its own little case or ammo can.  

Everytime I wonder how something winds up at the dump or someplace else someone can scrounge it and then go sell it I think of these threads.

Your fault for not having your items on lockdown.

She has shown you her methods and my experience with women is they will leave before I manage to change em so I like the lockdown concept.

And no she does not need her own battery powered cut off tool or anything similar.

If she can learn to pick locks she can learn the value of a tool.

And whoever said bouncing betty is silly, you want a directional charge so your stuff won't be damaged.  As usual, claymore is an acceptable answer to most questions.  Cleanup sucks, hope she did not toss the pressure washer.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:25:14 PM EDT
[#6]
You need to sit down and have a serious talk with her. If that fails, it's divorce time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:28:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

get online and re-buy everything that is "gone".

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just went out to get a file to sharpen my chainsaw and noticed something was amiss. The chainsaw file, and every file in fact were gone. Upon passing the (2) 55 gallon trash cans i keep out there i glance into them and see an array of my things. Including a brand new $120 snowmobile seat cover "In the box" i had bought to replace the torn seat on my old Indy. The impossible to find sealed beam headlights for my old Case tractor. My brass tumbler, and half a bag of walnut shell media, and much much more. So still haven't found my files, and seem to have lost most of my mind along the way. Was having thoughts of coming in the house and "Cleaning" all of her favorite rooms but just poured myself some Captain, sat down at the computer and started preying for the strength instead.
   She thinks she did the greatest thing, but we've been together for 10 years, and we've been through this. It's part of the master plan isn't it? I must be rendered completely insane.

How does one proceed? I should have rushed around and took it all in at once, cause when i go back out there I know I'm going to realize the full scope of the "Cleaning" and with my already frail emotional state I just might lose it.

get online and re-buy everything that is "gone".

This. Or at least fake it by making a fake invoice and leave it just lay around to be found.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hmmm....some dudes think messy or disorganized is a proper way to live.  It isn't.
View Quote

How do you know for sure? Maybe it is.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I could do that.....again, for the 10th time. I'm thinking more along the lines of Shock and Awe this time. Only problem is...everything i think of will only cost me more money. I think I'm in checkmate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You tell her that she has thrown away good, usable items, and to not clean the garage again.

ever.

I could do that.....again, for the 10th time. I'm thinking more along the lines of Shock and Awe this time. Only problem is...everything i think of will only cost me more money. I think I'm in checkmate.

no. you are nice and you explain it again. AS MANY TIMES AS IT TAKES.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#10]
This is so easy. Inform her that you had hidden a very expensive piece of jewelry in the garage, and  that you were intending on giving it ti her for bday or whatever is close, but its missing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Build detached shop.  Don't give wife key.
View Quote

This is what I did. 1600 sqft shop with 920 sqft man cave upstairs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife knows the garage is mine she can borrow stuff but it goes back where she found it just like her kitchen I am guest there.

If she doesn't know the divide...make sure she knows she is welcome out there and if she wants to "clean" it needs to involve you both.  I like doing stuff with my wife and she helps with projects and reloading but she would NEVER throw my stuff without asking.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#13]
That's just so bizarre.  I can't imagine someone doing that.  

I park in the garage and that's about it.  The one time I tried to do him a favor and use the leaf blower to clean off the porch I nearly took my leg off at the knee.  

At any rate, his things are his things and my things are my things and we don't just go messing with each others' things.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not trying to give you an aneurism here but... Since you reload... I know a guy who toasted two surgeon actions due to his wife's cleaning... Mixed all his less empty powders into each other. His h4350 had a bunch of 4895 and similar fast burn extruded powders in it..
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Build detached shop.  Don't give wife key.

Pics?
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife and step-daugher enjoy doing this.  I think the plan is to cause me to have a heart attack and die.

1st time step daughter cleaned out my truck,  second time was wife dumping everything out of my important drawer, 2 weeks ago it was part of the carport.  They don't really clean, they just shuffle stuff around so it is cheaper for me to buy new tools that figure out wtf they did with my old ones.
---
I lost the usefulness of my detached shop when she filled it with crap that will never be pulled out of her packing boxes again.  3k feet of shop lost.

View Quote

This is why the answer is always NO when they ask 'is there room in the garage for my....' "NO!"  There is not 1 damn in my garage that belongs to her, so she has no reason to enter it without me being present.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Sooo, you should go thoughtfully clean her closet and makeup drawer. Throw everything in a bin and be all proud of yourself. That'll learn her durn her.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
It's gone....next you loose space than nuetered
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#19]
How did she even get in there? Did you leave the keys accessible to her? If so, your fault.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#20]
WHAT....did you do to piss her.....OFF!

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#21]
My mess is my mess.  It really is that simple.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Clean out her shoe closet.

Throw away everything that you don't care for haven't seen her wear that week or has more than one of the same color or type.
IE: keep only the one pair of high heels,...etc.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:59:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Not trying to give you an aneurism here but... Since you reload... I know a guy who toasted two surgeon actions due to his wife's cleaning... Mixed all his less empty powders into each other. His h4350 had a bunch of 4895 and similar fast burn extruded powders in it..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

holy shit!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:01:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All these worlds are yours....except Europa MY GARAGE
View Quote

This, seriously.

The garage is mine, period, end of story.

Put a little 80/90 weight gear oil on your fingers and go handle all her jewelery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go in and hug her.  Kiss her and thank her for cleaning the garage.

Cook dinner for her.  Make her a bubble bath.  Push her head under the soapy bubbles and hold it there. Give her a massage.

Make sure that she is taken care of first.

Get all your stuff and in a few days take her out to the garage and explain that many of the things thrown away were still good items.

FIFY

Nailed it
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Nailed it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cook dinner for her.  Make her a bubble bath.  Push her head under the soapy bubbles and hold it there. Give her a massage.

Get all your stuff and in a few days take her out to the garage and explain that many of the things thrown away were still good items.

FIFY

Nailed it

Stress Relief
Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the crisp cool mountain air.

Nothing can bother you here.

No one knows this secret place.

You are in total seclusion from that place called "the world."

The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

The water is clear and you can easily make out the face of the person whose head you're holding under the water.

Look. It's the person who caused you all this stress. What a pleasant surprise.

You let them up... just for a quick breath... then ploop!... back under they go...

You allow yourself as many deep breaths as you want.

There now... feeling better?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:25:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
 Back from range,, great  day of shooting.   Cleaned a couple  pistols, and  a carbine.
put about maybe half of the  stuff away.
Getting  ready to jump in the shower,  
Wife  pointedly asks if THOSE 8  pistol magazines need to be THERE on the credenza/wall unit, table thing in the hall....
I am naked.  on my way INTO the shower.

Taking immediate action to rectify the  'problem' I grab  the nearest 50 caliber ammo can, slap it on the hardwood credenza/ wall unit/ table thing in the hall,  rip  open the lid, which bangs loudly on the credenza/ wall unit, table thing in the hall, slam my 8 SIG 226 magazines roughly  in the ammo can,  briskly re-fasten the lid,  and slam the  ammo box back down on the floor,  next to  gun safe...

I Jump in the shower.
  Wife is pissed.
Apparently,    some scratches have appeared on the Credenza/wall-unit, table thing in the hallway.

View Quote

YEEEESSSSS YOU ARE LEGEND! OP, kinda curious how many black eyes she got. (JK)
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Cook dinner for her.  Make her a bubble bath.  Give her a massage.

View Quote

I think he means EJECT.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:35:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
All these worlds are yours....except Europa MY GARAGE
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:37:19 AM EDT
[#30]
My wife did this ONCE.  I just went out and bought some new stuff to replace just part of what she threw away.  That was all it took.  She threw away some expensive stuff.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:44:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Wife pics still not loading. We have rules around here.  

Pee on it to establish dominance then build shop.

Why have a dead hooker when you could have a live one
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:55:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Just as a fyi, I hear winchester spx's are on sale......

only kidding
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Mine is a saint, went out and bought me a large tool box with instructions to "Put all my shit in there"
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:02:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't touch things in the garage..... ask first!

First thread I read after a long weekend at work.......thanks OP!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#35]
My SO knows he isn't allowed to touch my tools, or anything in my garages, or anything on my workbench, and that the penalty for doing so is to be immediately kicked to the curb.

You gotta set boundaries,  OP

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I park in the garage and that's about it.  The one time I tried to do him a favor and use the leaf blower to clean off the porch I nearly took my leg off at the knee.  

At any rate, his things are his things and my things are my things and we don't just go messing with each others' things.
View Quote

I came home one day to her so proud that she got the leaf blower running and got half the yard done but she was frustrated because it stopped working.

Yea, the gas was clear as water.

She was shocked when I picked it up, walked over to the trash and tossed it in.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:37:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I came home one day to her so proud that she got the leaf blower running and got half the yard done but she was frustrated because it stopped working.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The rules in my house are simple... If it has an engine, DO NOT FUCK WITH IT! The ONLY thing she or the kids are allowed to do is put gas in their cars or tell me if an idiot light comes on.  Since I've implemented this policy, things have gotten a lot smoother.  

As far as cleaning my area? Heh, good luck.. It's cleaner than the rest of the house will ever be, and my tools and valuable spare parts are locked up.  I got tired of shit going missing years ago.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:28:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Who the heck throws away tools?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#39]
My first wife was a clean freak, bless her heart. Couldn't have asked for a better woman, seriously. Second one, real bitch and whore, but she loved guns, video games, all the guy stuff, so there was that. Sucked ass as a wife though.

Back to the first one. A redheaded, horse riding nurse, everything stayed spotless.

But, when we first moved in together, and moved from my parent's house to ours, I began to notice things missing.

Nothing all at once, because it was early on in the marriage and I just sort of started thinking, " Hey, I think I'll hang that undefeated Miami Dolphins pennant from the Super Bowl ( VII ), signed by Bob Griese in the extra bedroom where I'm building my man cave."

Couldn't find it.

Then it was, " You know, that old 1970s Gerber MK II knife I had should really go in the new gun cabinet over here."

Couldn't find it.

"Oh, I think I'll start back writing the book I was working on in college with a friend of mine. Let me get all of those cassette tapes and notebooks with the interviews of my Grandfather and his brothers, and a few other WWI veterans."

Couldn't find it.

Her answer, "Oh, I cleaned in there and all those boxes of junk you never mess with. Most of that stuff I gave away if I though someone less fortunate could use it."

Me , slowly, slumping over the couch, and falling into a deep depression that lasted for weeks.

Well, not really, but I was really pissed off. I think the knife and the cassettes may actually still be here at the house ( parents where I'm living since they've passed ), but sadly, being the good and caring wife that she was, and my mother being the kind and loving mother that she was, they worked together cleaning out my old bedroom here where a lot of that stuff was too. So the combined caring womanhood quotient doesn't look favorable to me.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Cook dinner for her.  Make her a bubble bath.  Give her a massage.

View Quote

What?
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why does your wife have keys to the garage?
View Quote

And why is her stove chain too long???
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#43]
my wife takes very good care of my stuff, she understands if I have to replace it she will have less clothes money and she loves clothes
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:32:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Long ago......
I had my granfathers enfield out. Nothing fancy (1917 beat up etc ). Anyway. I leave the mag on the table to research some stampings..and buy another if i could(this was in the late 90s )...

I come home and mag is gone. I ask wife unit where is it.

Then i have to describe what it looks like...where i left it. Now my wife is at work still..so i go nuts looking for it...

I find it under the damn kitchen sink!

Now 15 years later if she moves or cleans or puts things away ...i ask once. .and go right to the sink. While saying "that power saw should be here right...". This then gets her pissed...which makes her stop what she is doing until what im looking for is found..

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:49:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Threaten to SIIHPAPP
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:54:53 AM EDT
[#46]
When I first got married I shaved with a mercur razor misspelled  anyway I switched to disposables for a lack of good blades. Several years later I decided to switch back. Opened the drawer expecting all my old safety razors to be in there.  All fuckin gone.  Three or four including the nice one from my father gone.

I learned to check every time she has a garage sale or gives to good will.  Now I know why women never keep money the throw shit away and then re buy.

that was bad and left a hole in my heart but was not near as bad as her throwing away a box in the garage with my DeLeon skinning knife with a gut hook. I left it out there because I had been cleaning some rabbits and did not want my young daughter to see me walk back into the house with it.   De leon is not making knives any more and that was one fine skinner gutter

After my father died I went through his old razors and found a newer looking adjustable Gillette razor that I now use.
My mother knew better than to throw his shit away.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#47]
3 years or so ago I worked very hard cleaning the garage.  I left my dive log and other important papers stacked up to take in the house.  The wife decides to take the trash off after I am done and a few days later I notice the log is gone along with my certification cards etc.  All of it.  I tore the garage apart looking for it  I was sick to my stomach and started the process of getting new cards issued etc. Some I can never replace as the training agencies have merged or closed.  

2 years go by and I am out there working and decide to sort through some of her shit stored in the garage.  I open one of the boxes of her no longer used teacher supplies and notice the very distinct dive flag cover of my log book.  I have yet to figure out WTF happened or how it got into her shit but I was very relieved.  The only thing I can think of is that she was checking her stuff and saw papers, thinking they were hers she tossed them into a box and shoved it onto a shelf with the rest of hers.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:36:18 AM EDT
[#48]
I guess I'm fortunate. My wife only goes in the garage to get things out of the freezer and extra fridge. She never touches anything else and as long as she can park her car easily does not care how I have things organized.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#49]
My Father in law is left handed.   When he would come over he would wander into the garage and start putting stuff away to fit his needs.  Which was always wrong.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:44:36 AM EDT
[#50]
NEVER let the wife in the garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top