Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2015 1:14:45 AM EDT
In the event of a mortgage deficit as a result of a short sale wouldn't PMI cover that? Also, if you had to report the deficit to the IRS wouldn't that mean it's forgiven debt and not subject to legal action by the mortgage company?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:35:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I think PMI is for foreclosure only but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Everyone's situation and state is different. You need to get in front of a tax attorney and an accountant. You are going to get 20 different answers here.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
If you short sold a house the amount of the mortgage you were short is a taxable event as debt forgiveness and you will get a 1099c from the lender for it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:49:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you short sold a house the amount of the mortgage you were short is a taxable event as debt forgiveness and you will get a 1099c from the lender for it.
View Quote

So that means that the mortgage company can not seek a judgement for the deficit?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:53:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So that means that the mortgage company can not seek a judgement for the deficit?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not if they agreed to the short sale. If you didn't get it in writing they can in some states.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
See a lawyer.  You're going to want to get it in writing that the lender is accepting the short sale amount as a settlement in full of the debt amount owed and will not pursue the difference after the fact.

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:59:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

They have to accept the short sale and then they can still come after you for the difference.

The good news is they aren't selling the house at auction and coming after you for that difference.

PMI isn't protecting you, it's protecting the lender.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I had to short sell a house in 2012. From day one I worked with the lender, made sure I jumped through all their hoops, dotted the "i's" and crossed the "t's". Since I had their blessings, the bank said they were happy and wouldn't come after me for the deficit ($50K).

However, come tax time the following year, I get a 1099 from the bank for $50K of "forgiven debt". The IRS considered it "income", and I had the pleasure of paying $16K of taxes on income I never received! Sucked big time, believe me. I was just lucky I had the funds to pay.

So be advised, there are plenty of potential "got'cha's" just waiting to bite you in the butt. Get a tax lawyer so you're well prepared.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

They have to accept the short sale and then they can still come after you for the difference.

The good news is they aren't selling the house at auction and coming after you for that difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

It is only a taxable event if the lender is forgiving the debt....i.e. Releasing you from your obligation to pay.  Generally by the very nature of a short sale that is what happens.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:17:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had to short sell a house in 2012. From day one I worked with the lender, made sure I jumped through all their hoops, dotted the "i's" and crossed the "t's". Since I had their blessings, the bank said they were happy and wouldn't come after me for the deficit ($50K).

However, come tax time the following year, I get a 1099 from the bank for $50K of "forgiven debt". The IRS considered it "income", and I had the pleasure of paying $16K of taxes on income I never received! Sucked big time, believe me. I was just lucky I had the funds to pay.

So be advised, there are plenty of potential "got'cha's" just waiting to bite you in the butt. Get a tax lawyer so you're well prepared.

Just my two cents.
View Quote

Dude, so if I gave you $50k as a loan and then told you you didn't have to repay me, didn't you just recieve a $50k gift/income?

Same principle applies when a short sale occurs.  You are recieving a $50k benefit of NOT having to repay the money, therefore it is taxable income.  Pretty simple concept buddy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
How can they come after the deficit and I still have to report it as taxable income with a 1099c? Isn't that like double dipping?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It is only a taxable event if the lender is forgiving the debt....i.e. Releasing you from your obligation to pay.  Generally by the very nature of a short sale that is what happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's incorrect.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, sorry I should have specified that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How can they come after the deficit and I still have to report it as taxable income with a 1099c? Isn't that like double dipping?
View Quote

They can't.  They have to forgive the debt in order for it to be taxable.  No forgiveness, no 1099c
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:35:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just my two cents.
View Quote

Btw, depending on your level of financial sophistication, a tax attorney is probably unnecessary.  If in doubt err on the side of caution and talk with a CPA or tax attorney.  Though to be honest and not trying to rip you, if you are seeking tax advice from ar15.com, you probably have your answer on if you feel comfortable dealing with this yourself.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:03:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Just my two cents.
View Quote

Let's say they loan your $300K which you used to buy a house.
Instead of paying back $300K (plus the interest which you deducted from your taxes every year anyway) you sell the house short & pay the bank back $250K.

The bank wrote off a $50K loss (less profit = less taxes paid) on the money that you received & spent - it is no longer a "loan" it is "income."
The IRS wants theirs.

I suppose it is also a deterrent to keep people from deliberately taking & defaulting on loans.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:05:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think they can because a short sale is releasing you from the debt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Just my two cents.
View Quote

If it's your primary home,  you can fall under the debt forgiveness act, and the IRS does not tax you on that deficit.  That ran from 2007 to 2014.  It may get extended to cover 2015 also.  I short sold the condo I was living in in 2012, and escaped your fate.

if the house you sold was your primary home, you need to find and choke your accountant, and then find a new one to readjust your 2012 tax filings.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right they will not come after you... But if you simply sell your house for less than you owe the bank then you can count on them coming after the remainder if you didn't get a short sale agreement with them in writing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Geez, more moronic real estate advice.....

This is right up there with Buyer's Agents are worthless.

The bank issues a 1099 so that they can account for the loss on their books.  You receive the 1099 because you were the beneficiary of their loss.  Your accountant should report your loss on the sale of an investment, which would usually be equal to or even greater than the amount on 1099.

You let accountants handle complex tax issues don't you?

FYI, they are not all equal just like real estate agents and doctors
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The bank issues a 1099 so that they can account for the loss on their books.  You receive the 1099 because you were the beneficiary of their loss.  Your accountant should report your loss on the sale of an investment, which would usually be equal to or even greater than the amount on 1099.

View Quote
I was going to say...if you were in a short sale situation and you get the short sale approval from the bank where you end up selling the house for 50-100k less than you purchased it for, wouldn't the capital loss on the house make up for the 1099 from the bank for the debt forgiveness?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was going to say...if you were in a short sale situation and you get the short sale approval from the bank where you end up selling the house for 50-100k less than you purchased it for, wouldn't the capital loss on the house make up for the 1099 from the bank for the debt forgiveness?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Usually yes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If it's your primary home,  you can fall under the debt forgiveness act, and the IRS does not tax you on that deficit.  That ran from 2007 to 2014.  It may get extended to cover 2015 also.  I short sold the condo I was living in in 2012, and escaped your fate.

if the house you sold was your primary home, you need to find and choke your accountant, and then find a new one to readjust your 2012 tax filings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my two cents.

This... You really need to look into that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Only if the lender clearly agrees to that in writing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top