BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:00:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Compared to the 240, it's love. The 60 was just set up right ergonomically to carry, the 240, not so much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your opinion of it?
Pro and Con of this weapon?
Why is it so hated by so many?
Why is it loved by some?

I have held an M-60 only once. Don't know anything about it.

It's called a PIG for a reason

The guys who love them have mental disorders

Compared to the 240, it's love. The 60 was just set up right ergonomically to carry, the 240, not so much.

Ergonomics and ease of carry don't mean shit when the guns literally disintegrate under normal use. When I was a private still, one of my NCOs had me read Stan Goff's oral history of his time in Vietnam. There's a description in there of how the M60 he was carrying and fighting with in a pretty intense firefight quite literally fell apart in the middle of things due to the gun getting hot and the receiver rivets coming out. When I read that, I thought "OK, I'll admit the M60 isn't the greatest thing out there, but that has simply got to be an exagerration...".

Very next exercise we went on, the same damn thing happened to my gun. Receiver rivets came out, and the entire buttstock and receiver bridge assembly separated from the gun in the middle of firing for qualification. I completed the string, stood back from the gun, looked down, and thought "Huh... That's funny... Where'd that come from...?".

Only time I didn't fire Expert with my MG, in my entire career.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:16:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:27:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Like I tried to insinuate, if a 60 had problems it was due to it being old. From 89 until we got the 240 we never had the problems that I'm reading about here. I also said if I had the choice of a new 60 and new 240, both of them firing fine, I'd take the 60 and that was the sentiment of the weapons squads I've known. I think you missed the point of whst i was saying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is your opinion of it?
Pro and Con of this weapon?
Why is it so hated by so many?
Why is it loved by some?

I have held an M-60 only once. Don't know anything about it.

It's called a PIG for a reason

The guys who love them have mental disorders

Ergonomics and ease of carry don't mean shit when the guns literally disintegrate under normal use. When I was a private still, one of my NCOs had me read Stan Goff's oral history of his time in Vietnam. There's a description in there of how the M60 he was carrying and fighting with in a pretty intense firefight quite literally fell apart in the middle of things due to the gun getting hot and the receiver rivets coming out. When I read that, I thought "OK, I'll admit the M60 isn't the greatest thing out there, but that has simply got to be an exagerration...".

Very next exercise we went on, the same damn thing happened to my gun. Receiver rivets came out, and the entire buttstock and receiver bridge assembly separated from the gun in the middle of firing for qualification. I completed the string, stood back from the gun, looked down, and thought "Huh... That's funny... Where'd that come from...?".

Only time I didn't fire Expert with my MG, in my entire career.

Like I tried to insinuate, if a 60 had problems it was due to it being old. From 89 until we got the 240 we never had the problems that I'm reading about here. I also said if I had the choice of a new 60 and new 240, both of them firing fine, I'd take the 60 and that was the sentiment of the weapons squads I've known. I think you missed the point of whst i was saying.

Did you read any of my posts, either?

I have been a gunner, myself. Given the choice between a random unit-issue M60, and a random M240, you would be insane to pick the M60. I was a fairly experienced armorer when that M60 self-destructed on me, and I'd gone over that thing with a fine-toothed comb, and taken meticulous care of it while I had it under my care. The way that gun destroyed itself still took me by complete surprise, as I saw nothing to indicate it was having issues.

If that had happened in combat, I'd likely be dead and my unit defeated. I'll take the M240 of unknown provenance over the M60, any day. At least I'll know it will keep firing...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:19:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Loved it, except for the road marches (AG gear was worse though).
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's a good tool for clearing a path in the jungle if you swing it hard enough..
View Quote

Its even better at catching the "Wait a minute vines" whilst tromping through the jungle

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Loved shooting the E3
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Should have never adopted the M240 nor M60 for mounted work.  Keep improved M60s for squad work.  We should have just kept the M1919 for mounted work.  It was a better gun.  Ahh the day when we will stop using these foreign made machine guns and go back to us made ones.  1919 had a high MTBF like the M240 like a million years earlier.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:11:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LAV on the new US Ordnance M60E6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTwyP2UUtFA
View Quote

Came to post this
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:16:23 AM EDT
[#10]
WTF personal attack? Warning issued - T
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Wow, what was that about?  ^^^
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:31:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wow, what was that about?  ^^^
View Quote

retarded guy went retarded? I still stick to my original post, I liked the 60
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Pain in the ass to hump ( I was a whopping 150 lbs.); pain in the ass to clean (and I had to keep it clean); shooting it made the first two problems go away.  I heard stories from other guys in other units about some problems, but every unit I was in we had no problems, other than whining about carrying it and it drew unwanted attention.  (And it DID absolutely suck with the BFA)  I served during the 70's when they were only slightly worn out.

So in reference to a previous post, I am mentally defective.  While I was in, it was my favorite weapon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#17]
thekirk's experience aside, the ones I have personally carried and fired worked fine with live ammo,
they only got finicky sometimes with blanks. They liked nice, shiny, new blanks, not blanks left over from previous field problems.

They were in NO cases NIB, either; they had all sent many rounds downrange.  Cleaning them was harder than cleaning our M16A1's, easier
than cleaning our M2's.

What was heavy, in my experience, was having to be your own A-gunner and ammo-humper. Gun, spare barrel, and extra ammo. THAT was heavy.

The only 240's I ever saw were mounted to tanks, back then.

They were fun to shoot and I liked mine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Not by you.  You should start one bra!

View All Quotes
I have first hand experience with one. these threads are for dipshit wannabes!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Woopty do! So do I.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:01:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
yeah, but wait another 20 years when the Army is still using the same 240 you used, and people will bitch about it to.

A good 60 is a good MG.  It's not it's fault the Army used it way too long.  Only the military would keep using a 2000 dollar gun beyound when it actually worked, to save money.  

"Well, our weapons don't work, but on the upside, our unit is well within it's budget for the year."
View Quote

The 240 material and construction will probably give it 40-50 years till that happens.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Woopty do! So do I.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
  Not by you.  You should start one bra!

Woopty do! So do I.  
you get a cookie!

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#23]
It is gravitationally challenged.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I loved it. A hell of a lot of fun to shoot, and ours were old as hell. Kind of a pain in the ass to break down and clean but not too bad.

When I went to PLDC, there was a guy there from the base hospital. Radiology tech, IIRC. His dumbass unit armorer sent him to PLDC with a fucking '60. Poor guy had NO idea how to operate it, but since it was his "assigned weapon" that's WTF he came with. We ended up taking turns carrying it when we went out on our field problem, because by midafternoon the first day, it was kicking his ass bad.

View Quote
Yeah, reminds me of when I went to WLC they had us drive our POVs down which meant we had to draw weapons there and everyone from my group got an M240B. I worked in an office and was never a pt stud so I was pretty proud of myself just for keeping up

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:35:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Edit - T
View Quote

I see you are no lover of M60 machine guns. They weren't kind to you either I guess.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:37:36 AM EDT
[#26]

I hated having the damn spring try to take my thumb off.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It was a design that should have never seen the light of day with the MG3 & MAG-58.

View Quote

this... when  you copy a design - do it right!

there were about three different ways you could re-assemble it incorrectly after cleaning and still have it pass a function check.

lots of them were jam-o-matics...

a guy finally figured out how to make them reliable but by then, newer systems were being fielded...

that  said, when they ran right, devastating... made a great visual of what the beaten zone means.

I will have scar on my wrist 'til the day i die from accidentally laying up on a hot barrel
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I was a 19K. This is me 17 years old at Ft. Knox 1988 D-2-13 OSUT, field week.
We had 2 M60's for camp security. I was the only guy in my company that could one arm the 60 with no problems.
The 60's would run great with live ammo, but hated blanks. So whoever said you cant fire the pig one armed....

Sorry for the crap pic, its a scan of a Polaroid, we didn't have cool cameras back then( and cameras were not allowed around our tanks )

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top