Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/1/2015 11:33:17 PM EDT
I use a credit card for just about everything nowadays.  Even the bill at restaurants.  

One exception is tipping at restaurants.  When I have cash, I try to leave cash.  I figure the server can claim it on his taxes as required.  

Most servers seem to live on the edge, so:

- If I leave $5 cash, the server can use that $5 immediately.  

- If I leave $5 on the card, the server won't see $3 until payday.  The other $2 he may not see until he gets his tax refund in April 2016.  

Any thoughts here?  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  -J
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use a credit card for just about everything nowadays.  Even the bill at restaurants.  
One exception is tipping at restaurants.  When I have cash, I try to leave cash.  I figure the server can claim it on his taxes as required.  
View Quote

Same here, and for the same reason.

Except I explicitly do it so they can not claim it on their taxes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Prettymuch the same. I just write "On Table" where the tip amount is. Cash is immediate and can be attributed to the diner for the future as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:37:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Use a CC, they do get taxed.

Leave cash...well...it's up to them to claim it

I always preferred cash.  If you used a CC, I much preferred to use the tip to even out the final cost.  Example:  Food = $10.44 + $4.56 = $15.00.  Much easier to calculate everything at the end of the day.  To me at least...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Always.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I tip 20%+ if the service is good.

Businesses figure XX% tip in cash for Tax purposes.

What do you think servers prefer?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I always tip well.  Usually very well.  I never really stopped to think when they get it.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
If I have cash, I leave cash and the tip line I write "cash" so they can report whatever they want.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I have cash, I leave cash and the tip line I write "cash" so they can report whatever they want.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I leave cash so they don't have to report it to the tax man. Since my nieces are waitresses I encourage others to use cash.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:44:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I always tip well.  Usually very well.  I never really stopped to think when they get it.  

View Quote

Its because you like pie!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm with gearjammer
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I nearly always leave cash.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost always.

Sometimes I don't have cash, then they get a CC tip but normally I slash though the CC tip and give cash directly to the waitress/waiter.  I don't like leaving it on the table.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
No. No. No.

Lots of restaurants pay out the credit card tips to the servers in cash from the drawers. That helps the servers get cash in hand and it lowers the amount of trips to the bank. So, it doesn't matter how you do it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:48:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Most servers seem to live on the edge, so:

- If I leave $5 cash, the server can use that $5 immediately.  

- If I leave $5 on the card, the server won't see $3 until payday.  The other $2 he may not see until he gets his tax refund in April 2016.  

Any thoughts here?  
View Quote

Just a point to the bit in bold, even if you leave a tip on the card, the server still gets that money that day.  The value of the card tip is subtracted from their cash due (cash collected from patrons who pay their food bill in cash that the server holds until they cash out at the end of their shift).  

However, as you noted, the tips left on cards MUST be claimed as income for tax purposes, so they take a bit more of a hit on their paycheck from it.

But I agree, I always leave cash whenever possible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:49:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Always--and I NEVER leave it on the table.  Many years ago I saw a scumbag walk past a table and very discreetly grab the tip money.  He never even looked down.  As I saw it I told him to put it back.  Since then I always pay the bill, then seek out the server and hand it to him/her.
View Quote

I put it in the little folder they usually have the CC receipt in and wait for them to collect it before I leave.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Always--and I NEVER leave it on the table.  Many years ago I saw a scumbag walk past a table and very discreetly grab the tip money.  He never even looked down.  As I saw it I told him to put it back.  Since then I always pay the bill, then seek out the server and hand it to him/her.
View Quote

Sounds good, but I don't have an hour to wait for them to come around again.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#23]
I usually leave cash.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#24]
If the server was especially good, I give them a good cash tip. I also personally hand the cash to the server to be sure the server gets it, and it's not taken by someone else.

Mediocre servers get whatever comes from a credit card charged tip.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I gotta wait an hour for them to come back around, they probably didn't get a damn tip anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Normally on the CC, never thought about it before, but will be doing cash from now on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:58:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I pay in cash as much as possible, more so to a mom and pop business! As a small business owner I understand the costs of having to accept credit cards. (we get charged just like the user).

However when it comes to tips, I always go cash!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#28]
There was one time me and a buddy went to a Chinese buffet out of town. I had no cash on me and it was one of those places where the waitress brings/refills your drink and takes away your plates, but you pay up front at the register.

We both planned on giving tips on the cards, but as we were both walking away from the booth the waitress came over and mumbled something under her breath, and I strongly suspect the reason was that there was no cash left on the table..

We both noticed and he went back and put some down... I left $5 on the receipt...  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#30]
After eating the entire meal, I'd then complain that it was not up to my expectations, refuse to pay and if they dared to say anything I'd feel that is disrespectful, I'd start a riot.
That's what I'd do if I was a ...dot dot dot
Seriously though, I tip cash and probably more than most. Unless the service sucked, but still more than dot dot dot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No. No. No.

Lots of restaurants pay out the credit card tips to the servers in cash from the drawers. That helps the servers get cash in hand and it lowers the amount of trips to the bank. So, it doesn't matter how you do it.
View Quote

this. Every restaurant I worked for and most of the people I knew that worked for other restaurants would cash out server's tips at the end of the shift or by the next day at the latest, cash in an envelope in the office.

It really makes no difference cash or credit tips with the exception of taxable income the server is obligated to claim on their income.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:08:38 AM EDT
[#32]

About 80% of the time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Why should wait staff not have to pay taxes?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Especially if I had particularly good service.  They get it right away (instead of waiting for the card settlement with restaurant) and without tax implications.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Use a CC, they do get taxed.

Leave cash...well...it's up to them to claim it

I always preferred cash.  If you used a CC, I much preferred to use the tip to even out the final cost.  Example:  Food = $10.44 + $4.56 = $15.00.  Much easier to calculate everything at the end of the day.  To me at least...
View Quote

everyone hates when you do that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Bartenders and servers tip out from the till. This cuts down on the cash that has to be deposited, and no one has to keep track of tips beyond a shift/day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I think its best to leave cash.

Ive always tipped very generously. I dated a few waitresses/bartenders and heard the horror stories.

When the waitress is hot and waits on a table of women that are older and or not that good looking she can pretty much expect next to nothing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ive always tipped very generously. I dated a few waitresses/bartenders and heard the horror stories.

When the waitress is hot and waits on a table of women that are older and or not that good looking she can pretty much expect next to nothing.
View Quote

Since you have inside knowledge-second hand....I bet there's more to this tale.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

They are.

But why should they?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#40]
I pay in cash and tip in cash.
Every time.
And I have been tipping 50-75% lately because I can. Fuck it.
It's worth it and nice to get "extra special" treatment next time I come.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#41]
I always leave cash, with a card its much to easy for others to steal most of it from the waitress.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:23:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View Quote
Fuck the IRS.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why should anyone have to cough up roughly 4 months of income every year to pay their taxes?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a list of groups of people who never tip.  

Everyone in that industry knows that list and knows it well.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Servers get credit card tips nightly at most restaurants.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:31:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, 20 percent.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#47]
If I have cash I like to leave a cash tip.  It's probably 50% of the time though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:48:20 AM EDT
[#48]
... yes, cash. I will write, "Cash on table" on the tip line of receipt
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:56:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Cash is where it's at. Servers prefer it and I prefer happy servers
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's Truth in them there stereotypes huh...
Well before too long that knowledge will be banned, infractions of sharing said info will be prosecuted.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top