almost 3 hours of WTF? it kept promising but never delivered
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll pass until it comes on free on TV.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I liked it.  

It was all science-fictiony and stuff, and I had to give them bonus points for talking about a higher dimension THAT WASN'T TIME.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I enjoyed the science in it and theories they had even though lots didnt make any sense. I just nerded out on what ifs.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I really liked it
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I enjoyed the science in it and theories they had even though lots didnt make any sense. I just nerded out.
View Quote

There was  a weird mix of things that didnt make sense, and things that were more feasible scientifically.  

ETA--I liked it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I really liked it
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#7]

If you can't spell it, it's probably not the film for you.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I like most of it. I didn't care for the ending where he went... And how it explained previous events in the movie
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I watched it and didn't realize how long it was. I guess I got lost in the movie. I enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Too many big words, not enough guns & boobies?

ETA:  J/k,  I don't see what the big deal is in not liking a subjective piece of art.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Lol

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I enjoyed it, saw it in the theater up here

really would love to see it in an IMAX theater
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
watched it last night--enjoyed it, but there was something unsatisfying about it.  every individual thing about it was solid, but it was like a great recipe, only missing one or two ingredients.  a bit on the predictable side, which is ok, but it didn't quite pay off right.  i can't put my finger on it.

probably the least satisfying nolan movie i've seen, but the bar was set awfully high to begin with.

i did appreciate how much effort they put into the science of the thing.  per wiki, the preproduction work actually led to 2 scientific publications.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

LEAVE GENE ALONE!!!

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Haha. IQ of a toaster huh?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Got the Blu-Ray of it yesterday, watched it today.  I enjoyed it.  Maybe if we're lucky they'll have a sequel.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Got the Blu-Ray of it yesterday, watched it today.  I enjoyed it.  Maybe if we're lucky they'll have a sequel.
View Quote

Why do we need a sequel? Leave good movies alone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Saw it at IMAX and liked it. Hell, the wife wanted to go back the next weekend to see it again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I really liked it
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of the decisions to save the human race were just stupid.  Spoilers below if you still need to warn of spoilers 6 months after a movie comes out.

"Hey guys let's consider a planet next to a black hole. What could go wrong with that idea?"

"We have no idea what any of these planets are like so rather than doing a few laps in orbit and observing we're just going to drop someone on a random spot and hope for the best."
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want to see what happens on the new planet.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Saw it and loved it! Wish other directors would step up to Nolan's level and deliver thoughtful/intelligent movies!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I loved it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I loved it.
View Quote

You do have impeccable taste in movies.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I liked it.  

It was all science-fictiony and stuff, and I had to give them bonus points for talking about a higher dimension THAT WASN'T TIME.  
View Quote

Fuck yeah! Moving books and shit in the past? That was awesome!

I dunno, I had high hopes for this. I loved Gravity and Moon and for whatever reason I thought it would be more along those lines. The end of Interstellar didn't work for me. And yeah, I'm pretty convinced no movie is worth 3 hours. Ninety minutes folks, that's the optimal movie length.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Some of the decisions to save the human race were just stupid.  Spoilers below if you still need to warn of spoilers 6 months after a movie comes out.

"Hey guys let's consider a planet next to a black hole. What could go wrong with that idea?"

"We have no idea what any of these planets are like so rather than doing a few laps in orbit and observing we're just going to drop someone on a random spot and hope for the best."
View Quote

a planet next to a black hole is no different than a planet next to a star.  if our sun collapsed into a black hole tomorrow, it would do absolutely nothing to the earth's orbit--same mass, same gravitational effects.

as for not orbiting, the writers went to great lengths to establish why they didn't.  the relativistic effects of orbiting the first planet would dilate time so badly that everyone on earth would be dead anyway.  the second one, the surface of the planet was obscured by solid, frozen clouds.

it's not like they didn't spend extensive screen time explaining these things.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I really liked it. Thought provoking.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I thought everybody here had an IQ above 130 here...

lol
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:03:55 PM EDT
[#32]
One of the best movies I have seen in years. Very believable
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Great SF movie.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
One of the best movies I have seen in years.
View Quote

One of the best SF movies in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:11:18 PM EDT
[#35]
maybe the OPs sensibilities would be better suited to this one.....

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

In that case there are a LOT of things that aren't for Gene.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Good movie.  I did not notice the 3 hour time so much, they kept the storyline moving enough to keep it interesting.  I do believe in letting a movie entertain me, I do not watch them for authenticity, except for maybe an obama 2016 type movie.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Would you like some corn with your corn on the cob, corn bread, and cream corn?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#39]
a planet next to a black hole is no different than a planet next to a star.  if our sun collapsed into a black hole tomorrow, it would do absolutely nothing to the earth's orbit--same mass, same gravitational effects.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I thought a specific deal with black holes is their gravity is so great that not even light escapes.  I'd say that's slightly different than the average star.

the relativistic effects of orbiting the first planet would dilate time so badly that everyone on earth would be dead anyway.
Yeah but with those same time dilation effects the human race would be stuck in this giga-slow development relative to the rest of the universe (except for other species who chose a black hole as their home star).  Would the side of the planet closer to the black hole experience an even greater time dilation effect than the "shadow" side?  Did that planet have a rotation so as the planet rotates the side facing the black hole slows down and over the course of each "day" different time zones speed up and slow down in time?  Not to mention the whole thing about jacked up gravitational effects on everything.  Does your weight vary depending on which side of the planet you are on?

the second one, the surface of the planet was obscured by solid, frozen clouds.
Which would suggest a less than hospitable climate for agriculture.

The whole method of selecting a new planet struck me as akin to throwing darts at the wall while blindfolded and seeing what you hit.  Sub-orbital satellites or atmospheric drones or some other method of exploring the planets would make way more sense than just dropping a dude off at a random spot and hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Some of the story was outright stupid, very unbelievable. The science presented wasn't exactly cutting edge stuff.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:40:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Watched it last night--enjoyed it, but there was something unsatisfying about it.  Every individual thing about it was solid, but it was like a great recipe, only missing one or two ingredients.  A bit on the predictable side, which is ok, but it didn't quite pay off right.  I can't put my finger on it.

Probably the least satisfying Nolan movie I've seen, but the bar was set awfully high to begin with.

I did appreciate how much effort they put into the science of the thing.  Per Wiki, the preproduction work actually led to 2 scientific publications.
View Quote

First, please note that I took the liberty of properly capitalizing your post.  While you may argue that your lack of capitalization is an expressive right, protected by the 1st Amendment, I really don't give a damn, because that's how I roll - and because I know you have thumbs, thus enabling you to use proper capitalization even when posting from an iPhone, iPad, iWhateverYouCollegeFolksUseTheseDays.

Now, about the movie ... What really bridged the gap and struck me at the core was his relationship with his daughter.  I think that pulled me into the movie more than anything else, and I really liked the "anything else" stuff, too.

The movie requires a suspension of disbelief for some of the more allegorical aspects, like where the craft breaks apart while entering the black hole - as this looked like an overt reference to Einstein's postulation of what happens to a lone astronaut falling into a black hole.  I liked the neo-baroque score by Zimmer, too, which also had some nods to 2001.

Ok, so you're now going to go back and watch the movie again, and like it more ... capisce ?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:06:47 AM EDT
[#42]
TL;average story.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Couldn't stand it.  The sound/music was all jacked up and the climax was a disappointment.  They made (what passes for in modern cinema) a hard science film, and then the day is saved with, literally, a miracle.  It was a slap in the face.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"We have no idea what any of these planets are like so rather than doing a few laps in orbit and observing we're just going to drop someone on a random spot and hope for the best next to the beacon the previous astronaut set up, informing them the planet was hospitable."
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:48 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I really liked it
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:56 AM EDT
[#46]
I really liked the movie, except for one part.

I cannot fathom how Coop can spend the whole movie trying to get back to his daughter, and when he finally does at the end there were no tears...no embraces (yeah she was in a hospital bed, so what), and she was apathetic about him even being there after she spent two weeks traveling to the station to see him.  Kinda frustrating for a movie that based it's story on love and human emotion.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Couldn't stand it.  The sound/music was all jacked up and the climax was a disappointment.  They made (what passes for in modern cinema) a hard science film, and then the day is saved with, literally, a miracle.  It was a slap in the face.
View Quote

I think that was the whole point. Miracles exist and their results are so amazing yet so unrealized.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Some of the story was outright stupid, very unbelievable. The science presented wasn't exactly cutting edge stuff.
View Quote

I was just glad to see a movie that took a somewhat scientifically accurate approach to space travel. It wasn't perfect, but it was way better than the typical scifi space movie that is obviously a writer just making shit up as they go.

But the story was a little underwhelming to me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:20:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I really liked the movie, except for one part.

I cannot fathom how Coop can spend the whole movie trying to get back to his daughter, and when he finally does at the end there were no tears...no embraces (yeah she was in a hospital bed, so what), and she was apathetic about him even being there after she spent two weeks traveling to the station to see him.  Kinda frustrating for a movie that based it's story on love and human emotion.
View Quote

I took it as they were never really apart.  She took notes as Coop -.---.....--...--..
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Interstellar was hands down my favorite sci-fi movie, ever. It had everything ive ever wanted in a sci-fi flick; apocalyptic mood, black holes, wormholes, Matt Damon dying, time travel, black holes... I mean, what more could you want? Hell, even the musical score was appropriate.

Thanks OP for reminding me to Redbox it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top