User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. A long time ago, I bought a new Dodge Challenger R/T. Had a 440 magnum. Had a Hurst shifter, great looking machine. It was really quick. I broke it in correctly. Went to work one night and when it was time to go home at 8am, I started my car and the oil pressure never came up. I could hear the tappets clicking loudly, so I knew it was not the gauge.
Called the dealer(20 miles away) and he told me to drive it over...with no oil pressure. He assured me I had a 5 yr warranty and he and Dodge would stand behind it. So, I did. Then he cussed me when I got there, saying I must have taken it to the drag strip that weekend. It was Monday, but it was also February and the strips closed here in the winter.
But it was a cracked oil pump...from the factory. Of course it really sucked oil after that to the tune of a quart every 300 mi. Chrysler says that is acceptable for a new car. I was stuck.
Every year the starter went out. The tape deck did not work the day I got it from the dealer and it was ordered new for me. The car never shifted smoothly. I had it in several times for that and they never fixed it. Finally one day the stick went around it circles and would not shift out of Third as I was driving one day, so I pulled into a local gas station and put it on the rack. A bolt came out, must have been loose from the factory. Put a new bolt in and it shifted great for the first time after a year of owning it. It was  a huge POS and when Chrysler refused to rebuild the engine or put a new one in when the oil pump went out, I vowed to never buy another Chrysler product....they said they did not care. I guess there are fools born every day.
My brother had a Chrysler that the tranny went out about every fifteen thousand mi.
View Quote

I am torn. I feel your anger on the shit service and having it put together terribly with crap parts. But, I would love to have one NOW. Can't deny the fact people will throw piles of cash at those cars especially after a correct rebuild.

I'm not a fan or newer Chrysler. I have had plenty of wheel time in 60's, 70's and 80's Chrysler Corp. vehicles and I guess it boils down to expectations. Back then, no one expected a tight, 200k vehicle with good styling. They were rough, shit rattled, interior was ugly and ill fit. Today, however, it is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have owned 8 Chryslers in the past 5 years.  Never a problem outside what I would consider reasonable and overall have experienced less problems than the other brands that have gone through my garage.  I cross shop all the brands before every purchase, and go drive a new Summit Grand Cherokee and try to buy anything remotely comparable at the same price point...won't happen.  I've been pleased, and it's one of the only brands that has factory-backed service plans for the life of the vehicle.

I bet it's a high probability that most everyone who complains about FCA quality hasn't owned one under the FCA marquee.  Chrysler and most other brands have improved the quality of their cars tremendously over the past few years.
View Quote

reality check. you haven't put enough miles on anyone vehicle in the last 5 years to be able to accurately judge their reliablity.

you're the guy that buys a pistol shoots 100 rounds through it, carries it for 6 months sells it buys another pistol shoots 100 rounds through it and carries it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#3]
But but its imported...from Detroit...better than German or Japanese cars...or so the commercial sez.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Been there, done that. I will never spend my money on another Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.

Pure. Fucking. Junk. It's too bad really, cause they make the best looking vehicles on the road.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a turbo Dart that's a pile of fucking crap.

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

must use premium and it only gets 26 MPG.

radio turns on full fucking blast everytime I start the car.

turbo wastegate opens randomly and I loose all my power.. its like hitting the brakes.  Dodge says its normal.

big fucking rearview mirror blocks half the windshield. I got mad, after almost hitting some little kid. I ripped it off and threw it out the window and its one of those Bluetooth ones too.  Fuck it, $300 or not.

on my 4ths set of tires in 40k.

cant replace the rotors without tearing the bearings out.  wtf kinna retard shit is that?

damn near impossible to see out of.

ETA again... thought of more shit.

some of the adjusters for the airflow control broke off
the ebrake button is jammed in.... so I cant set it.
A/C is totally weak ass shit. takes 20 mins to cool the car.
Heater sucks too. If its below 15 wear a hat and gloves for at least 20 minutes.

The car sucks major dick.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get that none of you guys would buy a chrysler vehicle but that doesn't help me right now

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

turbo wastegate opens randomly and I loose all my power.. its like hitting the brakes.  Dodge says its normal.

big fucking rearview mirror blocks half the windshield. I got mad, after almost hitting some little kid. I ripped it off and threw it out the window and its one of those Bluetooth ones too.  Fuck it, $300 or not.

cant replace the rotors without tearing the bearings out.  wtf kinna retard shit is that?

Heater sucks too. If its below 15 wear a hat and gloves for at least 20 minutes.

28k and im on my 2nd set of tires
You nailed the point about the car taking forever to warm up in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I get that none of you guys would buy a chrysler vehicle but that doesn't help me right now
ETA.. mines a 13 too.

sooo..... do you have more or less issues?

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:12 PM EDT
[#7]
When I saw the thread title:
Quoted:
I hate Chrysler
View Quote

I thought: 'brother, you ain't the only one'.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an 03 grand Cherokee that has been a great car.   Of course my go to is a 2014 Toyota Tundra, best vehicle I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ah change cars/SUVs every two to three years is the secret.
View Quote

Nope, all bought used except for the '09 Charger. The current vehicles residing in the garage is the '00 Grand Cherokee and the '03 Grand Cherokee, and both have over 300k combined service miles with the factory original engines, transmissions, t-cases and axles. Aside from regular maintenance (belts, hoses, fluids, filters, etc.), I've had to replace the alternator on the '00, the PS pump and water pump on '03, along with the radiator.

The '96 Grand Cherokee had over 220k miles on it with the factory engine, trans, t-case, and axles, with only the starter solenoid being replaced (factory starter and alternator still!) aside from regular maintenance. I sold it to my BIL, who recently decided to sell it after 14 months of daily driving it. That Jeep currently has 232k miles on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
the day I watched it drive away was glorious.
View Quote

Still remember fondly the day I drove the 2001 POS Cruiser to the dealer to get rid of it.

2 weeks after GF purchased it (after me and my dad told her not to get it) it blew the head gasket. Head was warped, also dripping coolant supposedly damaged other parts of the engine. That was about a $1300 repair.

Shortly later the car started to stutter and die, at the worst possible times. Diagnostics said CPS fail.

Replaced original crank position sensor, it was full of oil, causing it to fail.

Same problem came up a few weeks later, replaced the $70 oil filled crank position sensor again.

No one could explain why the CPS sensors were getting oil in them, thus destroying them. Oil pressure check was in spec.

Again, a few weeks later, stuttering and dying, put in 3rd CPS, right before driving it to dealer to get rid of it.

Had other problems like heated seats would get so hot you'd have to stop and get off the seat while it cooled down.

Chrome peeling off wheels. Other corrosion issues not common to a car of its age.

Wonkey intermittent electrical issues of all kinds.

Trash tires and wheels, air leaks could not be fixed despite multiple trips to tire repair place.

Total trash car.

Carfax came back clean, but with this much trouble I'd think it was a car that was salvaged by the insurance company from hurricane Katrina.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My 2006 LJ Rub is noisy, handles like shit, rises rough, gets crappy gas mileage and costs me thousands in suspension and under-carriage parts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I have had two different model Jeeps try to murder me by "death wobble."

I will never buy or endorse ANY Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Finally. I read through the first page and all the hate for all brands. I worked for a Lexus dealership. We had a RX350 with just over 800 miles on it come in with a blown motor. Nothing the buyer did. It just happened. You guys crack on Chrysler, Ford, and GM. The import dealers service bays are just as full and busy as any of the big 3 and it's not all oil changes and tire rotations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who actually buys Chrysler vehicles anymore?

My Ram has been a much better truck than my Tundra was.

I work for a Toyota dealership, I'm a parts manager. People on here would shit bricks if they actually knew all the shit that goes bad in Toyotas.

Finally. I read through the first page and all the hate for all brands. I worked for a Lexus dealership. We had a RX350 with just over 800 miles on it come in with a blown motor. Nothing the buyer did. It just happened. You guys crack on Chrysler, Ford, and GM. The import dealers service bays are just as full and busy as any of the big 3 and it's not all oil changes and tire rotations.

Honda Odyssey 2007, replaced lifter at 58k.
Honda Odyssey 2011, replaced motor,head, worn out cam, 39k .

All service completed by Honda dealerships; I think they were doing something wrong; wrong oil, something.

Traded for Toyota 4runner; fingers crossed. I am seriously thinking about bitting the bullet and change the oil myself. Even though they give 2 yrs of free oil changes.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#14]
That's what the lemon law is for OP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

You guys realize that you are either shit drivers and are just super hard on tires, or cheap bastards and buy shit replacement tires.

Saying that a car is shit because you wear out the tires is like calling it shit because the oil got dirty.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

4 sets of tires in 40k??!!  Not the car's fault.

Poor visibility? If only dealers let you drive a car before you bought it.

Some of you guys are a bit much.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You guys realize that you are either shit drivers and are just super hard on tires, or cheap bastards and buy shit replacement tires.

Saying that a car is shit because you wear out the tires is like calling it shit because the oil got dirty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA.. mines a 13 too.

Factory Continentals got 9k. I understand it is my fault about the tires however on the last car I owned my driving style was the same and I was always able to get at least 20 thousand.

I have owned many Jeep and Chrysler products before this Fiat merger and I never had a bit of problem with any of them until you own this car you will not understand. everyone is having problems with the turbo dart and all dodges does is issue tsb's.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I will never buy a Chrysler, had some years ago, never again.
I owned a Dart years ago, biggest POS ever made.
When I saw Chrysler coming out again with it I just laughed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The Dart is a shitty rebadged Fiat Neon!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Hmm . I used to have a Dart. Nothing fancy but it was a solid reliable car.
But then again mine had a slant six, three on the tree and was built in 1967
View Quote

and you can keep a couple wrenches,  a screwdriver, a wire with alligator clips and a ballast resister in your glove box and not get stuck anywhere for more then 5min

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How is chryslers fuck up my fault? How any times do I have to deal with a fucked up car that's under warranty?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is your poor decision your banks fault? Fix the pos and sell or trade it.

How is chryslers fuck up my fault? How any times do I have to deal with a fucked up car that's under warranty?

It takes a great deal of pain to sear into peoples brains why you don't buy Dodge / Chrysler products.  I have had sufficient pain that I will never buy another one.  Won't even consider it.  Apparently you are not there yet.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who actually buys Chrysler vehicles American cars anymore?

The only thing American about the Dart is maybe the engine, assuming it is one of the N/A options.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My diesel dodge trucks have all been great. Only parts that broke were of my own doing. Heck my old 2005 dually still had factory pads and rotors at 140,000mi when I sold it. My 07 magnum wagon was good but the defrost sucked below 20 degrees, either iced up side windows or and iced up windshield.

Buy the cheap stuff and you end up with a less than stellar car?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Should I assume a new Jeep Grand Cherokee will be just as bad?
View Quote

Every GC I have had has been fine...can't speak at 80-100k miles.

Currently have a 14, so far so good.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fuck I'm so pissed. 20 miles from home and my pos car with only 28k miles is running like utter shit and no dealership around has anything open until next week. I'm so tempted to tell the bank to shove this car up their ass and just wiped hands of this fucking thing. Anyone else been in this situation? The fuck am I supposed to do with this car?
View Quote

You want I should flip their tech center off next time I drive by it? I drive by it almost every day.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Fix
It
Again
Tony.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I would help to have some more information in order to help trouble shoot problems!
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:10:58 PM EDT
[#29]
The misfire was caused by a bad coil on cylinder #1. The part wont be in until monday and they wont give me a loaner Im pretty fucking pissed off about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Swap it out with a good coil on a test drive in a new dart?

Nah.....I dont want this one, its running like chit

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can't pile on the Chrysler hate.

I have worked as a tech at a Toyota dealer, and this may rustle some arcom jimmies, but we never had a shortage of work, we constantly had a shop full of broke down late model Toyota's to fix and a line of them waiting to get into our bays. I also worked as a tech at a Ford Dealer, and also always had plenty of broke dick Fords waiting to be fixed.

The big difference? The owners, Toyota owners were often willing to rationalize their car being broke down when it shouldn't be. Tundra owners with bad rear ends at 25K? They would convince themselves that they should have had it serviced at some imaginary mileage, 10K, 15K or whatever, but they refused to accept that Toyota sold them trucks with shitty rear ends. Tacoma frames rusting out? That was the previous owners fault obviously, he had probably been driving it on the beach too much, or it was a "northern car" and the road salt rusted out all cars just as fast.

At the Ford shop the owners were different, they would bring in a car with 10K on the clock, and wheels with heavy road rash front and rear on one side, complaining about who shitty the car was because it was making a funny noise when they turned. Mustangs came into the shop on Monday morning and still had chalk numbers on the windows, registered owner explains to us that his son was driving it and it just stopped as he was sitting at a red light, and Ford sucked because there is no way a six month old car should have a locked up engine.

ETA: I have owned several Chrysler products over the last twenty years, four Neons, an LHS and a Caravan. All of them were very reliable vehicles, two of the Neons went well over 200K without any mentionable repairs, one was totaled at 180K, and the third is still going strong at 170K. The LHS was actually surprisingly trouble free, bought it new in early 97, put 120K on it between then and 2005, it was hit and totaled. While I owned the LHS I had to replace a blower motor resistor pack, way out of warranty, and went through a couple of MAF sensors before figuring out that I had an intake gasket leak which cost $12 and two hours to fix. The Caravan was a 2000 model I bought used for next to nothing in 2008 with 125K on it already. We put 70K on it over the next five years, in the time we owned it I had to replace a wheel bearing, and put a set of tires on it, aside from very routine maintenance that is it. I got more from the insurance payout than I paid for it.

During that time I bought a Kia Minivan, a 2005, I let the multitudes of glowing reviews about how great Kia was, and how much better their vehicles were at that point then in the past cloud my judgement. It was the biggest POS I have owned since I quit paying $400 for vehicles. In three years and 60K miles (bought new) there was always something wrong with it, including sliding door bearings that had to be replaced every 20K miles, I don't believe that the Caravan  we replaced it with had ever needed anything done to the sliding door bearings in the nearly 200K it was on the road, I doubt they had ever even been lubed and they still worked fine. The Kia, every 20K it needed new sliding door bearings or the rear doors wouldn't open or close, and it needed a new set of four tires, and front brake pads.
View Quote

the neon, as stupid as the name was, once they replaced the early ones head gaskets with steel ones, a decently cared for neon will last a very long time. some dude on here years ago posted a pick of his odometer with over 400k on it!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Loaner cars for Chrysler products are at the discretion of the dealership.  Some do and as you have found out, some dont.  If you get the extended coverage, you get rental car reimbursement if the vehicle has to stay overnight.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#33]
No big 3 allowed in this household.  We are high mileage drivers, wife's Toyota has 233K on it and our 14 Honda already has 32k on it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#34]
My 89 Ram has been a nightmare over the years. The only thing original is the 360 and it's on it's last legs. When I buy a new vehicle I expect 300k miles and a good 20 years of service without issues. The only ones that haven't let me down are my 4-runners and (hopefully) my Tundra. See what they have in common? The ones who didn't make it that far are my Wrangler, my F-100, my F-150, my S-10, and my Maxima.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It was a 2001. When we got rid of it last fall, it had barely hit 85k miles.

We spent over $2000 in repairs on it, despite driving it gently. It had 67k when we bought it in 2007. It was a worthless pile of shit, and the day I watched it drive away was glorious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
google the symptoms.

Online communities saved my bacon when we owned our shitty fucking Durango. We were able to diagnose and fix most stuff ourselves.

What year was your Durango? My 2000 R/T has been nothing but great and I rag that truck hard

It was a 2001. When we got rid of it last fall, it had barely hit 85k miles.

We spent over $2000 in repairs on it, despite driving it gently. It had 67k when we bought it in 2007. It was a worthless pile of shit, and the day I watched it drive away was glorious.

Buying used means you generally don't know how its been taken care of before you got it. I had a 99 Durango that was great.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:40:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fuck I'm so pissed. 20 miles from home and my pos car with only 28k miles is running like utter shit and no dealership around has anything open until next week. I'm so tempted to tell the bank to shove this car up their ass and just wiped hands of this fucking thing. Anyone else been in this situation? The fuck am I supposed to do with this car?
View Quote

Did the bank build the car?  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top