Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/1/2015 5:03:06 PM EDT
Fuck I'm so pissed. 20 miles from home and my pos car with only 28k miles is running like utter shit and no dealership around has anything open until next week. I'm so tempted to tell the bank to shove this car up their ass and just wiped hands of this fucking thing. Anyone else been in this situation? The fuck am I supposed to do with this car?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Fuck I'm so pissed. 20 miles from home and my pos car with only 28k miles is running like utter shit and no dealership around has anything open until next week. I'm so tempted to tell the bank to shove this car up their ass and just wiped hands of this fucking thing. Anyone else been in this situation? The fuck am I supposed to do with this car?
View Quote

Can't recall if you are the guy that was super hopped up on his dart a few months back? Guess the buy Ford comments didn't change your mind?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Who actually buys Chrysler vehicles anymore?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on many conversations with UAW workers that worked at the Chrysler plant that used to be in this city, I'm suprised that car actually worked in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience with Chrysler products involves changing the plugs on a PT Cruiser and putting a new power door mirror on that same vehicle.  Based on those two events alone, I would not buy a Chrysler vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:08:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Can't recall if you are the guy that was super hopped up on his dart a few months back? Guess the buy Ford comments didn't change your mind?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fords just work. That's what they do. They ride and sound better than any Chrysler I have ever been in, many GM products too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#6]

I will never own another one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:09:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I get that none of you guys would buy a chrysler vehicle but that doesn't help me right now
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Chrysler cars are total junk, especially the Darts and 200's..all the real crap from Alfa/Fiat. I deal with their engineers a lot, most have no idea how these electrical nightmares work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Learn to troubleshoot and fix your own, or be held hostage by the dealerships.  

Goes for any make or model, at some point everything on the road will have an issue.  Murphy will make sure it is at the worst time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Did you try turning it off and back on again?

ETA:  If the CEL is on and your car is in limp mode, get yourself a cheap bluetooth OBDII scanner and Torque (if Android) and reset it
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:12:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you try turning it off and back on again?

View Quote

I LOL'D
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My experience with Chrysler products involves changing the plugs on a PT Cruiser and putting a new power door mirror on that same vehicle.  Based on those two events alone, I would not buy a Chrysler vehicle.
View Quote

I got 150K on our PT Cruiser. It was going to be my daugther's high school beater, but the cable guy drove into it while it was parked in front of the house.
I changed the clutch once and had to put in a new radiator fan.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I get that none of you guys would buy a chrysler vehicle but that doesn't help me right now
View Quote

You are on the internet right now, do a quick search on the model you are driving and the symptoms.  There is probably a dozen youtube videos made by people with the same problem.  

That is the great thing about car companies that mass produce junk, they mass produce the same problem and it does not take long for the information to get out.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

They aren't offering to take the car in and put you in a car until they get it fixed? Call 1 (800) 334-9200 and open up a case. Believe it or not that gets shit done (I know because I work at a FCA dealer).
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Can you explain what vehicle you are referring too? I've owned many brands and I don't find Chrysler to be any better or worse.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Just be glad you don't drive a Ford OP. You wouldn't have even made it that far!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Call up Chrysler corporate and ask for a loaner vehicle or a paid rental until a dealer can accommodate your repair? There should be info regarding this in the warranty info booklet included in the car.

FWIW, all of my Chrysler product vehicles have been just peachy. These include:

'94 Wrangler
'96 Grand Cherokee
'00 Grand Cherokee
'02 Dodge Neon
'03 Grand Cherokee
'05 Dodge Neon SRT4
'09 Dodge Charger RT

Shit happens, that's why you have a warranty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I like my crysler
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

What wonderful Chrysler product is this  ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#20]
My first car in the mid 90s was a Chrysler.  Pretty big POS.   Finally had an electrical problem that the idiot Chrysler dealership service guys misdiagnosed as a faulty transmission.  Then they proceeded to basically destroy the car trying to fix it.

I will never again own a Chrysler product.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:20:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

1) Chrysler makes utter shit.  Now you know that and won't buy any more of it in the future.
2) At 28k miles, it ought to have a warranty.  Get it fixed under warranty, and then get something else.
3) In reference to #2, buy a Honda.  They don't suck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Can you explain what vehicle you are referring too? I've owned many brands and I don't find Chrysler to be any better or worse.
View Quote

+1 I've done major damage to pickups from all of the big 3. They all break. I just have the worst luck with Fords because that's what I drive for work and that's what I put the most miles on.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah my Ford is the biggest piece of shit I've ever driven, and my Dodge is fantastic
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
google the symptoms.

Online communities saved my bacon when we owned our shitty fucking Durango. We were able to diagnose and fix most stuff ourselves.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
google the symptoms.

Online communities saved my bacon when we owned our shitty fucking Durango. We were able to diagnose and fix most stuff ourselves.
View Quote

What year was your Durango? My 2000 R/T has been nothing but great and I rag that truck hard
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:32:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Why is your poor decision your banks fault? Fix the pos and sell or trade it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll trade you my 2005 Nissan Altima for your Chrysler straight up.  My Nissan is the biggest piece of shit car that I have ever owned.  My 2000 Dodge Dakota with 270,000 miles on the other hand has been an amazing vehicle.  I'm using the Dodge as a daily driver now because the Nissan is down again.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:34:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What year was your Durango? My 2000 R/T has been nothing but great and I rag that truck hard
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google the symptoms.

It was a 2001. When we got rid of it last fall, it had barely hit 85k miles.

We spent over $2000 in repairs on it, despite driving it gently. It had 67k when we bought it in 2007. It was a worthless pile of shit, and the day I watched it drive away was glorious.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

We told you so.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'll trade you my 2005 Nissan Altima for your Chrysler straight up.  My Nissan is the biggest piece of shit car that I have ever owned.  My 2000 Dodge Dakota on the other hand has been an amazing vehicle, which I'm using a daily driver now because the Nissan is down again.
View Quote

You know what's funny? In my head I just knew you drove a Nissan. Though in my fantasies, it's a 370Z Nismo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:35:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I have an 07 Sebring. Post when you have a real problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We spent over $2000 in repairs on it, despite driving it gently. It had 67k when we bought it in 2007. It was a worthless pile of shit, and the day I watched it drive away was glorious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
google the symptoms.

Weird, I've got 180k on mine and I've changed...alternator, water pump, and harmonic balancer.  I am hard on that thing and it has never let me down
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Who actually buys Chrysler vehicles anymore?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:46:15 PM EDT
[#36]
For us, all our sensors were constantly going out. Usually while I was on the freeway, going 80. I can't even remember all the things that went out. The TCM (the actual computer, yeah. $600 for a refurbished one), the TPS (IIRC, this was the one mounted on the underside of the transmission or some bizarre shit. One of the sensors we replaced cost us $700, because the engine had to be pulled to get to it), the Crank Position Sensor, twice. That was a special kind of hell, removing it. The first time after three nights in the winter of wrestling it and coaxing it, we got it out - the price of the sensor + bloody knuckles and emotional anguish. The second time, it just goddamn snapped off and fell into the oil pan. $300 to a mechanic to have it removed - at least the tow was covered by insurance.

Then the mysterious overheat issue. For some reason, it stopped pulling from the coolant reserve. It wasn't the water pump, and we never did figure that one out. We just made sure to keep the system topped off manually and it did okay.

It also had some evap code that never went away. We had a mechanic do that test where they push thick smoke through the system, looking for a leak. Never found it.

Over time we replaced the thermostat, the tie rods, shocks, and sway bars, the battery... God. I'd say maybe the prior owner raped it, but it was in pretty good shape when we bought it, so...

I take it back. We spent way more than $2k on it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#37]
American vehicles are good, you just have to know which ones to buy.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now you know better than to use logic with people on ARFCOM GD.  

This is where everyone establishes their opinion of a car based on the fact that their mother's second-cousin's son had to repair the frammus valve on their 2003 Ferrari, and therefore, all Ferrari's suck.

Given that most persons are more emotionally invested in their car than they are their firearm, about 90% of the comments you hear on this board related to automobiles are strictly anecdotal and emotional in basis.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I had an 04 f150 that warped one of the heads at 28k. I will never own a ford because of that experience. I was actually told by the local dealer "just because there is a blue oval on my sign, it doesn't mean I have to fix your fucking truck." Took 2 months to get it warranted.

My dodges don't break and the dealer support is great.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

This is where everyone establishes their opinion of a car based on the fact that their mother's second-cousin's son had to repair the frammus valve on their 2003 Ferrari, and therefore, all Ferrari's suck.

Given that most persons are more emotionally invested in their car than they are their firearm, about 90% of the comments you hear on this board related to automobiles are strictly anecdotal and emotional in basis.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, how's this for anecdotal?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2013/03/14/cars-that-can-last-for-250000-miles/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/10-best-cars-to-last-200-000-miles/index.htm

http://www.businessinsider.com/cars-most-likely-to-get-to-200000-miles-2014-2

There's a whole lot of asian cars in there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
For us, all our sensors were constantly going out. Usually while I was on the freeway, going 80. I can't even remember all the things that went out. The TCM (the actual computer, yeah. $600 for a refurbished one), the TPS (IIRC, this was the one mounted on the underside of the transmission or some bizarre shit. One of the sensors we replaced cost us $700, because the engine had to be pulled to get to it), the Crank Position Sensor, twice. That was a special kind of hell, removing it. The first time after three nights in the winter of wrestling it and coaxing it, we got it out - the price of the sensor + bloody knuckles and emotional anguish. The second time, it just goddamn snapped off and fell into the oil pan. $300 to a mechanic to have it removed - at least the tow was covered by insurance.

Then the mysterious overheat issue. For some reason, it stopped pulling from the coolant reserve. It wasn't the water pump, and we never did figure that one out. We just made sure to keep the system topped off manually and it did okay.

It also had some evap code that never went away. We had a mechanic do that test where they push thick smoke through the system, looking for a leak. Never found it.

Over time we replaced the thermostat, the tie rods, shocks, and sway bars, the battery... God. I'd say maybe the prior owner raped it, but it was in pretty good shape when we bought it, so...

Damn, lemon maybe?  Every one I know with a Ford Focus loves their's and our's has been nothing but issues from day one.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:54:20 PM EDT
[#42]
I've only known two people with a Ford Focus, and they both called their cars a "Ford Fuckus."

But those were the older ones. Apparently the new ones are better.

I would LOVE a new Focus RS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shocks and batteries as well as tie rod ends are wear items or consumables. Same as a u joint or fan belt, or timing belt. If you count those as money spent in your 2k in repairs you need to count oil changes and air filters too.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Why is your poor decision your banks fault? Fix the pos and sell or trade it.
View Quote

How is chryslers fuck up my fault? How any times do I have to deal with a fucked up car that's under warranty?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I've only known two people with a Ford Focus, and they both called their cars a "Ford Fuckus."

But those were the older ones. Apparently the new ones are better.

I would LOVE a new Focus RS.
View Quote

2012 Focus, bought it with 19k on it.  Automatic tranny (automated manual), had the clutches replaced in it at 30k.  Front end had a popping noise in it, took the dealer about 6 tries to find it and fix it.  Turned out to be some bearing, but they replaced about everything up there before they found it.  Radio was replaced, paint is about as thick as the hair on my half bald head, you can pretty much chip it off with a fingernail.  Water, yes water, stains the seats.  Oh, and when it rains the driver's floorboard fills with water
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Shocks and batteries as well as tie rod ends are wear items or consumables. Same as a u joint or fan belt, or timing belt. If you count those as money spent in your 2k in repairs you need to count oil changes and air filters too.
View Quote

Replacing all that in a 6 year old vehicle seemed dubious. *shrug* I've never had to replace them on other vehicles like that. I'm not listing them as actual problems, mind you. Just annoying shit that iced the cake.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
google the symptoms.

In 14 years of ownership [2000 Durango] the only things that actually took a dump was one spark plug, [bosch] and one O2 sensor, [bosch again] that's it. Yes I did maintenance but those are the only two things that took a dump. Sold it in 2014 for almost 10K.

Toyota could take lessons from freaking DODGE as far as customer service goes and actually, you know, keeping in touch with them. [they were not happy with my manufacturer survey]

As an aside, the last JD Powers long term survey placed Buick in front of Toyota and only second to Lexus for fewest problems in a 3 year period.  I don't think ANY of the Japanese manufacturers are really any better then overall then US manufacturers anymore. Some of their MODELS may be better in certain segments and they seem to hold value better but there isn't really any gap anymore as a whole.

I'm still driving a 98 Buick Regal and a 98 Sonoma most of the time, other then a can of R134 a year, they are still running perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In 14 years of ownership [2000 Durango] the only things that actually took a dump was one spark plug, [bosch] and one O2 sensor, [bosch again] that's it. Yes I did maintenance but those are the only two things that took a dump. Sold it in 2014 for almost 10K.

Toyota could take lessons from freaking DODGE as far as customer service goes and actually, you know, keeping in touch with them. [they were not happy with my manufacturer survey]

As an aside, the last JD Powers long term survey placed Buick in front of Toyota and only second to Lexus for fewest problems in a 3 year period.  I don't think ANY of the Japanese manufacturers are really any better then overall then US manufacturers anymore. Some of their MODELS may be better in certain segments and they seem to hold value better but there isn't really any gap anymore as a whole.

I'm still driving a 98 Buick Regal and a 98 Sonoma most of the time, other then a can of R134 a year, they are still running perfectly fine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

google the symptoms.

My 2014 Durango was great.  Loved it.  It was the reason I bought a Ram.  Only reason I got rid of the Durango was I needed/wanted a truck.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, how's this for anecdotal?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2013/03/14/cars-that-can-last-for-250000-miles/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/10-best-cars-to-last-200-000-miles/index.htm

http://www.businessinsider.com/cars-most-likely-to-get-to-200000-miles-2014-2

There's a whole lot of asian cars in there.
'
Thank you for proving my point.

Those citations you listed have a number of vehicles from SEVERAL brands that have a reputation for longevity.   Did you notice that #1 on one of the lists is the Ford F150?  And did you also notice that within the first 10 posts on this thread, some guy said "be glad you didn't buy a Ford", which pretty much is in contrast to that citation.

Like I said, 90% of the comments on this forum about cars are based on personal emotional investment, and not facts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Should I assume a new Jeep Grand Cherokee will be just as bad?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top