Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/1/2015 12:27:04 PM EDT
How do you respond when people you work with daily and are NOT below you on the totem pole, call you sir, or ma'am for the ladies?

I call almost everyone sir, out of habit and respect. "thank you, sir" "no problem, sir" and so on.  About a dozen guys at work do the same to me. I inspect their work for accuracy to planning, blueprint,  and for workmanship. I tell them they dont need to call me sir, but wont dont worry about it if they choose to.

What if subordinates don't say it, does that bother you?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I die a little on the inside, regardless of rank.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a student that continually refers to me as sir even though I have repeatedly told her that such formalities are not necessary in my classroom.  If she wants to call me sir then its fine, but I just inform her its not necessary every so often.

I really don't care that much if anyone calls me sir or not.  In the classroom I make sure they do not refer to me by my first name however, not because I care, but because other professors get really butthurt and I do not want them to get in trouble for my lack of formality.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
People ought to be treated with courtesy.  Having been raised in Texas, "sir" and "ma'am" were obligatory when speaking to an elder, a person of legal or religious authority, or  anyone new to you including the black man driving the garbage truck.

I teach.  My students call me Mr. Goldstein or Sir.  I do the same for them unless I call them by name.

Good manners has long-lasting benefits for all parties.

I can't comprehend how some people consider it demeaning to call someone else sir or ma'am.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I call just about everyone I am not on a first name basis with Sir, and ma'am
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People ought to be treated with courtesy.  Having been raised in Texas, "sir" and "ma'am" were obligatory when speaking to an elder, a person of legal or religious authority, or  anyone new to you including the black man driving the garbage truck.

I teach.  My students call me Mr. Goldstein or Sir.  I do the same for them unless I call them by name.

I can't comprehend how some people consider it demeaning to call someone else sir or ma'am.
View Quote

As a native Texan, I agree with this post.

Nicely stated.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Earned not given. Sign of respect regardless of station.  

Elder family and friends is obligatory.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It's professionalism.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nicely stated.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nicely stated.

I agree also, that was how I was brought up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:05:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I hate it when somebody obviously older than I calls me sir.

I address older folks who I do not know by sir or mam
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't mind it at all.

I call everyone I don't know sir or ma'am out of respect, until I either get to know them on a first name basis, or do something to prove themselves unworthy of respect.

It absolutely drives me nuts when people show offense to this, the most common one from guys is "Don't call me sir I work for a living" and women who take offense to it as if I'm calling them old or something.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought it was strange when i was in usa and everyone even the beggers called you sir and i dont think i came across anyone who was ignorant or rude. Maybe its because i dont live there, you dont get respect like that in england.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I try to be polite and respectful.  I call everyone of every age "Sir" or "Ma'am".  If they object, they can go fuck themselves.

TC
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Some do at work. I dont give it a second thought. Uncle on the other hand
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't mind it at all.

I call everyone I don't know sir or ma'am out of respect, until I either get to know them on a first name basis, or do something to prove themselves unworthy of respect.

It absolutely drives me nuts when people show offense to this, the most common one from guys is "Don't call me sir I work for a living" and women who take offense to it as if I'm calling them old or something.

View Quote

For the guys that is a military thing the enlisted folks setting themselves apart from the officers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nicely stated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicely stated.

Yes, because they only do that in Texas.

I've never been to Texas. I call just about everyone "Sir" or "Ma'am", and it was common to hear people do the same when I was growing up in Michigan and it is common to hear people say it here in Missouri as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#17]
doesnt bother me.  just called being polite.

eta: that's just how i was raised.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicely stated.

Yep. Even my 4 year old son merits a "sir". Hard to teach a child manners if you don't show them the proper way.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Being called sir, or ma'am

I like "Jane" best, but of the two options given, I prefer "ma'am".
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I try to be polite and respectful.  I call everyone of every age "Sir" or "Ma'am".  If they object, they can go fuck themselves.

TC
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I get a lot of it, all day every day.  But that's what the USMC says I am.  

For those that bitch and moan about it, try saluting on top of the formalities.  It gets a bit tedious at times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

this

It's simply good manners to address people you don't know personally as sir/ma'am.      
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't mind it at all.

View Quote

+1, I was raised to say "yes, sir" "no, sir", and my father was military. I worked in the service industry for many years and every once in a while I'd get the "Don't call me sir" shit and it was fucking aggravating, keep that asshole shit to yourself or I'll flip it and call you a massive cunt because that's how you're acting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm rarely addressed as sir, so I wouldn't know.

I pretty much address everyone as sir or ma'am even my subordinates.

I've had several women take offense to it over the years as they evidently took it as a commentary on their age. Several people have assumed I was in the military because I use "sir". I guess it's just not that common anymore.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#26]
My father is sir.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I tell them that "sir" is insufficient. It's your majesty, peasant.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I saw some douchebag staff sergeant rip a fresh out of basic airman for calling him sir.  The kid was hammered for weeks about addressing people as sir or ma'am.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I die a little on the inside, regardless of rank.
View Quote

This.  I hate it being said to me, however use it nearly all the time, even casually.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How do you respond when people you work with daily and are NOT below you on the totem pole, call you sir, or ma'am for the ladies?
View Quote

Same as if they hadn't called me sir.

View Quote

Nope.

If I'm addressing you formally for whatever reason it will be Mister, or Doctor, or Your Honor, etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#33]
I call my little nieces ma'am.

I call my sons sir.

Younger, older, doesn't matter. It's courtesy- an odd thing to get butthurt about.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:13:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Nicely stated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nicely stated.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:14:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's professionalism.
View Quote

Out all all my years of business I very infrequently used those terms when addressing someone in a professional setting.

I'm more impressed that if a coworker or client remembers my first name.

I will however use titles if you have earned them including but not limited to,

Professor (last name).
Doctor (last name).
Judge (last name).
Officer (last name).

etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:18:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:24:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, however, dealing with some women in Dallas and their offense at being called ma'am has led me to using "miss" more often.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I call my little nieces ma'am.

I call my sons sir.

Younger, older, doesn't matter. It's courtesy- an odd thing to get butthurt about.
View Quote

Not a native Texan but quickly picked up the habit because it feels right to do it.  And I agree, odd to object to.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:36:33 PM EDT
[#41]
I always say Sir or Ma'am
Especially to younger folks - it fucks with'em you see, makes'em question their youthful good looks
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

i told you last time. the dungeon is for punishment not for fun. No you can't have a key.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
i politely remind them i am to be referred to as "Your Grace" or "Your Majesty".  if they do it a second time i have them executed, unless they are a hot chic.

IIRC we have another title we mostly use for you... but I'm not sure I can repeat it in polite company.

i told you last time. the dungeon is for punishment not for fun. No you can't have a key.

I heard he is very dirty. Very. Dirty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I call almost everyone sir, out of habit and respect. "thank you, sir" "no problem, sir" and so on.  About a dozen guys at work do the same to me. I inspect their work for accuracy to planning, blueprint,  and for workmanship. I tell them they dont need to call me sir, but wont dont worry about it if they choose to.

View Quote

Doesn't bother me either way.
I just do it habitually. I say "thank you, sir" to 7-11 clerks. I don't even think about it if someone calls me sir or doesn't.

I did notice awhile ago I get sir'd more if I'm distracted or in a bad mood.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:46:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I refer to 99% of women as m'am

Guys is either brah or sir.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#45]
I don't have that problem.

I also don't routinely say sir. I figure if I don't call my dad sir, I won't call other people sir either.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Out all all my years of business I very infrequently used those terms when addressing someone in a professional setting.

Professor (last name).
Doctor (last name).
Judge (last name).
Officer (last name).

etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's professionalism.

Professor (last name).
Doctor (last name).
Judge (last name).
Officer (last name).

etc.

I'm not surprised you can't remember.  Thorazine has well-known amnesiac properties, sir.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#47]
When in person, I address everyone I know except my close family and friends as sir or ma'am. It is a formality born from hospitality and respect. You would be surprised how it changes your interactions with other people when you treat them with the reverence, respect, and formality.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yup, however, dealing with some women in Dallas and their offense at being called ma'am has led me to using "miss" more often.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny but I have been calling more younger women  "Miss" lately.  Haven't heard any objections.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I call almost everyone sir, out of habit and respect. "thank you, sir" "no problem, sir" and so on. About a dozen guys at work do the same to me. I inspect their work for accuracy to planning, blueprint, and for workmanship. I tell them they dont need to call me sir, but wont dont worry about it if they choose to.

View Quote

After 20+ years in the Military I would not work at a place where you couldn't call everyone you know by their first name, from the owner/president to the guy that takes care of the plants in the lobby.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Never worried about it.  Was raised on 'sir' and 'ma'am'; was reinforced in the military.  <<shrugs>>   It just is...ya old fart.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top