Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Our rule is our kid can swear all he wants in Macedonian and Serbo-Croatian, but not in English.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I turn it down a bit, but who fucking cares?  

if you stub your toe in front of a kid and you say "shoot" or "darn it" instead of "shit" or "damn it"   what does it matter?   You are still cursing, just not using the words society deems bad.
View Quote

I can be pretty bad and dumb. I think I said something like, "holy shit! Wife, when the fuck did they start putting maple syrup in fucking squeeze bottles", or something like that at the grocery store the other day. No kids were around for that one, but then I realized I sounded like trash.

I think that is what OP is referring to.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In those type of situations I do try my best to curb my language

Not only was I raised in an Italian family in jersey was a mechanic for over a decade and in construction operating heavy equipment where cursing is just part of the job so it's tough to filter

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're from jersey I grew up with my parents cursing around me we curse around our kids they know there bad words and can't use them

I don't get what the big deal is

So you meet up with your new/current boss or say wifes co-worker in a public place. They have small children. Do you just drop whatever language you want in front of them because "you don't get what the big deal is" or would you put a filter on it because you understand if might bother some folks.

Be Honest

In those type of situations I do try my best to curb my language

Not only was I raised in an Italian family in jersey was a mechanic for over a decade and in construction operating heavy equipment where cursing is just part of the job so it's tough to filter

So you do understand its a big deal if you try to make an adjustment.

FYI--I also grew up in the 80's in a little town called Williamstown NJ. I have a large family and my last name also ends in a vowel ---so I get it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:Slow down there post whore.
View Quote

I upgraded my Team membership last night and figured it was as good a time as any to finally start posting.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't swear at work, especially on the phone.  Lots of times I may be on speaker and you never know who is a silent participant.  

I make a sincere effort not to swear around my kids.  My wife can swear like a sailor and I've been pretty blunt to her about knocking it off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Dirty words are fucking dangerous.  We should ban them.
View Quote

Only a cunt would be offended by such language. Only a cocksucker would ban them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Around my kids, yes. I try not to around other people's kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, not around my own child, but I use it on Arfcom regularly, and I'm pretty sure that qualifies.
View Quote

I don't curse in front of children IRL OP
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Exactly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I don't talk that way around adults, either.

Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate.

Exactly.

lol

"The idea that no gentleman ever swears is all wrong. He can swear and still be a gentleman if he does it in a nice and benevolent and affectionate way." -Samuel Clemens

Mark Twain was more than articulate. He was very much a believer in swearing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I disagree entirely. They are words just like any other. They have definable definitions and uses. Excluding them from your vocabulary to sound verbose makes you seem like an inarticulate fuck.

Notice the effectiveness of the word? Knave is an acceptable substitute, yet, it isn't.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

I disagree entirely. They are words just like any other. They have definable definitions and uses. Excluding them from your vocabulary to sound verbose makes you seem like an inarticulate fuck.

Notice the effectiveness of the word? Knave is an acceptable substitute, yet, it isn't.

That was a dumb statement. Using a varied vocabulary with no profanity makes you inarticulate, seriously
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to not understand the fuss, but as a parent of a 13 month old I now understand.  I can cuss with the best of them, but I make a conscious effort to not have a foul mouth around my daughter.  I do not want her picking up on my bad language and habits.  At first, I didn't think it mattered, but I see how she picks up on all of our behaviors and tries to mimic us and I am now aware of how much they actually do understand.  It makes me feel bad that as a teen/ younger adult I didn't think it mattered.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For instance. Remove the swear word from your comment and you said...............nothing. If asked what you fertilized your garden with, that would be a suitable answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

For instance. Remove the swear word from your comment and you said...............nothing. If asked what you fertilized your garden with, that would be a suitable answer.

Bullshit.

For instance, remove the entire fucking sentence you wrote and you said...........nothing. See, we can play that fucking pathetic game all day long.

Your shitty, asinine logic is as weak as your goddamned swearing, you fuckin' dirt-worshipping heathen! /Swearengen
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

For instance, remove the entire fucking sentence you wrote and you said...........nothing. See, we can play that fucking pathetic game all day long.

Your shitty, asinine logic is as weak as your goddamned swearing, you fuckin' dirt-worshipping heathen! /Swearengen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Imagining Carl Jung say that made me lol, bravo sir
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:41:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I try not to but I fail from time to time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:53:30 PM EDT
[#17]
<----"Trashy" @times, though typically not in public. I've turned loose some "words" in the confines of the home and auto.  I'll set my imperfect ass in a corner for a bit.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
No.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:14:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Well used profanity is like fruit in a bowl of otherwise unsweetened cereal. It should flavor it rather than replace it wholesale. That said, if any of you think any kid over the age of 8 doesn't already know every single variation of every single swear word and several creative new complex compound usages, you're nuts. I don't have kids, so I try not to drop any pointless vulgarities around my wee nieces, nephews and various cousins. I also don't say the word "fuck" in front of my grandmother, for she is still swift and merciless and though my grandfather owned a mechanic's shop for 45 years and I have no doubt she could match me word for word and probably add a few, that is the one she's most likely to smack someone over.

At a bar, amongst my friends? My filter tends to slip a bit and I get a bit more creative. Don't want junior to hear bar talk? Don't take him to the bar where grown ups are talking. Playing xbox on a game rated "M" and hearing some kid's voice calling me a cocksucking faggot? Yeah, that kid's parents have already fucking failed, so I'm not so much concerned if he hears a bit of adult conversation at 11 at night playing COD.

99% of my interactions with strangers are short and polite. I was raised to say please and thank you, grab the door for other people and call the person I'm dealing with sir or ma'am.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't use foul language here.  I certainly avoid it around decent folk, kids, etc.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:20:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There have been times when I accidentally let something slip during a fit of anger but otherwise I do not curse around my daughters or while out in public.  My daughters are now teenagers and are aware of curse words and know that they are to not use such language.  We have had similar experiences while out in public that the OP had and I've just used it as a teachable moment to my girls of how trashy and inappropriate it is to speak that way in public or as a part of one's regular vocabulary.  I think they get it as I have not had that problem with them.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Our rule is our kid can swear all he wants in Macedonian and Serbo-Croatian, but not in English.

View Quote

I've always just cussed in spanish whenever I had to vent, it's never been an issue here in rural Missouri.  It became an issue when my first three year old started saying "puta madre" at random moments, though.  Household Six was NOT happy...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#23]
not around the kids or anywhere else Seems pointless to me
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Profanity is the effort of a feeble brain to express itself forcibly.
View Quote

Think you were aiming for "Profanity is the final bastion of the inarticulate" but your smug got in the fucking way.

There's a difference between profanity and vulgarity. And profanity, used properly, enriches language. There are very few words that can convey such a vast array of meaning dependent on inflection, placement, repetition and situation. A single utterance of the word "fuck" can convey resignation, anger, exasperation, pain, surprise... All dependent on the inflection.

But go ahead and stick with your "feeble brain unable to express itself forcibly" thing. I'm obviously totally fucking illiterate and incapable of communication in any kind other than grunts and shit flinging.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:29:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Father is an automechanic, grew up working in the shop. I learned every use of the word "fuck". On a side note, funniest thing I ever saw was my dad get pissed after scraping his knuckles on an engine block. He threw the flathead screwdriver he had at the wall and the thing came right back at him and stuck him blade first, right between the eyes. Pretty sure he went cross-eyed with rage. I had to run away I was laughing so hard. Pretty sure he invented new  curse words that day. After high went right into the Army and became a FO, that was attached to an infantry unit I do have a hard time turning it off sometimes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]
No I don't swear in front of kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I do and say what I want, when I want. I ask for permission from no one and apologize for nothing. If someone has a problem with that, they can kindly fuck off
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:47:34 PM EDT
[#29]
While letting it fly in front of little kids may not be preferable behavior, there are a fuckton of high horses in here...
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
. That said, if any of you think any kid over the age of 8 doesn't already know every single variation of every single swear word and several creative new complex compound usages, you're nuts. I don't have kids, .
View Quote

You sure about that one? I mean not all children have been thru the same social situations at that age.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:I've always just cussed in spanish whenever I had to vent, it's never been an issue here in rural Missouri.  It became an issue when my first three year old started saying "puta madre" at random moments, though.  Household Six was NOT happy...
View Quote

All through school (K-12) about half of my class was Mexican kids.  The first spanish words I ever learned were curse words!  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
It's classless, and uncouth.

Having said that, a self-righteous prig, who parades his sanctimonious bullshit as a reason, is almost as annoying as those who curse in front of kids.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#33]
No.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I have young kids, don't use profanity around them. When the kids aren't around, I sometimes curse like a sailor (actually worse than some of the sailors I know). Right now the kids need to learn the fundamentals of articulating their thoughts and arguments.

After they can engage appropriately in elevated discussions with class, I'll teach them the beauty and usefulness of profanity.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#35]
I have slipped. I guess I am trash. Pretty harsh judgment no?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1720263_Do_you_swear_in_front_of_your_children_.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Sometimes.  Don't really care.  They'll hear it eventually.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:04:53 PM EDT
[#37]
no.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You sure about that one? I mean not all children have been thru the same social situations at that age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
. That said, if any of you think any kid over the age of 8 doesn't already know every single variation of every single swear word and several creative new complex compound usages, you're nuts. I don't have kids, .

Unless they live constantly devoid of access to media, including books, and without any exposure to other kids and are supervised 100 percent of the time, then yeah, they've probably heard Carlin's list of 7 words you can't say on tv. So I'd say that the generalization was fairly accurate. I'm sure that somewhere there are kids who live on a compound and are homeshcooled who only come into contact with other homeschooled kids, that have never once seen a single profanity in a single work of literature ever, meaning they skipped anything in iambic pentameter, and have never once heard a radio. And their parents have never hit their thumb while trying to hammer a nail or stubbed a toe.

But sitting on my balcony, reading a book and having a smoke, puts me above the normal line of sight-nobody ever looks up-and cussing is just as popular with the kids in the neighborhood (particularly when there's no visible adult) as skateboards.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Mind your fucking business!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#40]
The only way to give profanity any power whatsoever is to treat certain sounds that come out of your mouth as "dirty" and "bad".

It's kind of stupid, in the abstract and I don't buy that normal grown ups nor children are harmed by hearing profanity.

Instead, I taught my daughter very early the concept of appropriate, grown-up, and tactful language and how to tell the difference and what is ok when you're young, and what is not.

So, yes, I cursed around my daughter and occasionally around other children.

But, I managed to raise a child who seldom if ever was profane or vulgar (by Church Lady standards).
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#41]
There are times, when raising boys, that the perfectly timed swear word cannot be replaced.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
If I am capable of expressing myself with a vocabulary as large as your own, but I also use foul language, when appropriate, is my profanity really a verbal crutch?

Sometimes the correct word choice is profane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

If I am capable of expressing myself with a vocabulary as large as your own, but I also use foul language, when appropriate, is my profanity really a verbal crutch?

Sometimes the correct word choice is profane.

Not only that, but there are some in our species who grasp clearer understanding of your nuance when you use vernacular they are familiar with.

"Don't come any closer, or I'm gonna fucking shoot you dead right fucking here asshole".

"Get off my dick right this fucking minute, I can hear your husband pulling up in the fucking garage".

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#43]
nope
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:48:30 PM EDT
[#44]
antidisestablishmentarianism and dimethoxymethylamphetamine are the two biggest werds I know.  Fuckin A>  I had to spell check both of 'em though....fukin icehole corksmokers
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

fuckin' a right.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#46]
<--  retired sailor and OP wants to know if I curse around my kids

I don't take the Lord's name in vain but everything else, even stuff I invent myself is good to go.
I watch my language in public but at home or around friends the real Chief comes out.
The guys in my old shop use to make jokes about my verbal tirades.  I have been accused of verbally castrating people.
My vocabulary could best be described as a mix between Mark Twain and George Carlin.
Yet I can don a suit and tie, enter a board room and wax poetic with the best of them.
I am just more comfortable with my country boy language.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.

Bullshit.

Brohawak, I notice you don't have a tank icon!  Yeah I let some go around my kids.  My kids even use it from time to time, and its correct and relevant.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:34:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There are times, when raising boys, that the perfectly timed swear word cannot be replaced.

View Quote

Truth, and learning that adults get to do different things than children is part of growing the fuck up.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:33:14 AM EDT
[#49]
no..
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:40:19 AM EDT
[#50]
Nope. I feel sorry for kids around assholes like that.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top