Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No I mean something like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhOjWHbD6M

That is a liberty safe btw that got they pried open in less than two minutes.  In addition, did you notice in your video that there were no guns in the safe primarily paper?  Paper doesn't rust, metal subjected to high temps would rust and had their been plastic parts (ar15) on a gun they would have been melted off.  Btw, there is another video out there of a liberty safe being opened up like a tin can using nothing more than a splitting maul.  You want to trust your valuables to a liberty knock your self out.

https://i.imgflip.com/jlf4b.jpg

Nobody puts baby in a corner
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:55:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That is a liberty safe btw that got they pried open in less than two minutes.  In addition, did you notice in your video that there were no guns in the safe primarily paper?  Paper doesn't rust, metal subjected to high temps would rust and had their been plastic parts (ar15) on a gun they would have been melted off.  Btw, there is another video out there of a liberty safe being opened up like a tin can using nothing more than a splitting maul.  You want to trust your valuables to a liberty knock your self out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sorry but liberty safes are junk.  That safe while charred, I doubt was subjected to high temperatures for any significant amount of time. I would like to see a broader shot of the safe.  I am betting seeing that broader shot would show the fire was not as bad as it would appear by zooming in on the safe.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZikSlwWm30#t=93

ok. No point even locking my liberty safe when I leave the house then.
This will save me a few minutes of my time each day. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:07:11 AM EDT
[#3]
He was looking at his garage fire and drinking whiskey. When the RSC was opened, he started square dancing with his wife.
You can't square dance with a bottle of whiskey.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:19:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have the link to the ARFCOM safe thread?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:24:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Just a dude whose done a ton of research and looked most brands of safes in person.  Liberty safe are junk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a dude whose done a ton of research and looked most brands of safes in person.  Liberty safe are junk.

What brand of safe do you own?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anyone have the link to the ARFCOM safe thread?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_46/264352_The_official_gun_safe_picture_thread.html
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Too bad you can't open it up from the inside, that's a hell of a tornado shelter, if you could stand the pressure in there.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#8]
safe just buys you time.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS, it makes a BIG difference if they can get the safe on it's side trying to break into it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#11]
That'll buff out.  Just repaint it and sell it on the EE.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#15]
that'll buff right out
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm confused.

Those pictures appear to show a safe that was exposed to very severe conditions, and yet the contents were protected - there are even documents on the top shelf that survived unscathed.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I am a week or two away from buying a decent safe. Had plans to keep it upstairs in my house but not sure how I would "bolt it down" as I have carpets and plywood subfloor. Are MESA safes any good or are they considered junk on here too?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you look closely, you will see a Liberty safe still standing tall and intact after the EF5 tornado in Moore OK.  The dealer gave the owner a new safe and this one now sits on the dealer's floor as a tornado survivor.  None of the contents of the safe were damaged in any way, the door was undamaged except for paint and easily opened normally.  The house was totally destroyed.

http://i.imgur.com/QLx69zj.png

After some cleanup

http://i.imgur.com/heVWtHr.jpg

View Quote

Damn!  I see what you mean, it totally didn't move... just some paint scratches is all......The corvette must be a great buy
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I have a Liberty, hope it's fire-proofness never gets tested like that. The dealer tried to sell me one with an even higher fire rating that would be great for an hour.

I told him there was no such thing as an hour long mobile home fire.
View Quote

Truth.  More like seven minutes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed, but if all you are looking for is smash and grab protection, you can buy that for a lot less than $1,000.

Now having said that, even a $10,000 safe can be broken into given enough time and the proper tools.
The goal is to make it too time consuming and loud for someone to be able to break into it before they are discovered.  That is where some sort of alarm system would help reduce the time available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't calling you the competitor marketing guy, but the guy in the youtube vidya.

Is any $1000 safe as good as a $4000 safe? probably not.
Would meth head cheese dicks be able to get in that liberty safe if it was bolted to the floor and placed in a corner where said meth head cheese dicks would be unable to get leverage with a prybar? Not unless they had better tools and a lot more time.

Agreed, but if all you are looking for is smash and grab protection, you can buy that for a lot less than $1,000.

Now having said that, even a $10,000 safe can be broken into given enough time and the proper tools.
The goal is to make it too time consuming and loud for someone to be able to break into it before they are discovered.  That is where some sort of alarm system would help reduce the time available.

Liberty Safe with a web cam on the top.  Someone shows up and the POlice get there before they get in.  Hell for me I could be home from work before they break in.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#22]
I am really surprised that the safe in the video protected the contents the way it did.

Wildland (brush) fires are a different animal then your average house fire. A typical house fire gets put out, houses in brush fires tend to burn to the ground then the remnants smolder for hours/days.
Think BBQing something for 15 minutes versus baking for hours at the same temp.

I count on my safe to protect the contents from smash and grab burglars and typical house fires.
A couple of well equipped burglars or a wild fire, not so much.

If I ever have to evacuate due to brush fire, the safe will be empty when I leave.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:07:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think most folks understand sub $1k safes offer a little protection from acts of God, security, and smash and grab thieves - not someone who is trained or prepared to get into it.  $1k safe with a $200 annual insurance policy/rider makes sense for a lot of folks compared to a true $5k-10k safe.  So long as everything is replaceable, it's just as effective.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Depends of the temperature of the fire, it's duration, and how much thermal insulation that particular RSC model has.

Given enough heat and duration the interior of that RSC would have been fried along with its contents.

Not bashing Liberty; I have one, but the picture in the OP doesn't tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Back when I was in the market for a safe I pretty much studied everything on the topic.  I worked at a place that sold Liberty safes and could get a nice discount.  So after my research I end up going elsewhere and buying an AMSEC safe.

The kicker with Liberty is they seem to focus too much energy in their marketing BS.  For example their 'hidden hinges'.  Fact is the recessed caused by the hidden hinge reduces the fire rating due to the thin spot.  Also you want to lure a thief to fruitlessly waste time attacking the hinges (hinges just swing the door, they aren't a security element).  Another thing is the moving bolts on the hinge side.  That needlessly creates a weak spot.  They don't need to move on the hinge side, weld immovable lugs that can't be compromised.  Those are my two biggest gripes with Liberty.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:51:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You will have better fire protection if you put it on the lowest floor.  Basements are best, as heat rises.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am a week or two away from buying a decent safe. Had plans to keep it upstairs in my house but not sure how I would "bolt it down" as I have carpets and plywood subfloor. Are MESA safes any good or are they considered junk on here too?

You will have better fire protection if you put it on the lowest floor.  Basements are best, as heat rises.

While I don't know anything about weight limits, can an upstairs handle a 800 lb ish safe? Just curious..
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont they then get flooded with water in a house fire?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
While I don't know anything about weight limits, can an upstairs handle a 800 lb ish safe? Just curious..
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 fat people on a king sized waterbed weigh more than that  albeit spread out more...

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:15:09 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

2 fat people (or one Arfcom member) on a king sized waterbed weigh more than that  albeit spread out more...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2 fat people (or one Arfcom member) on a king sized waterbed weigh more than that  albeit spread out more...

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Can someone point me towards this arf safe thread that has been referenced here?  Is it tacked in one of the subforums?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I can personally attest that Liberty will stand behind their lifetime warranty.

I lost a safe in September (Liberty Presidential).  I bought it in 1996.  The dealer I bought it from dug through the attic and found my original purchase order (Liberty Safe, Sacramento, CA) even though it had been almost 20 years.

Liberty gave me absolutely no hassle.  They sent me paperwork, I filled it out, they sent me a new safe to the closest dealer.  I paid for shipping only.

When I bought my Liberty, it was $3200.  The new one was almost $6K, and Liberty also decked the new safe with lights, an outlet, dehumidifier, and door storage--all things my old safe did not have.  When I called Liberty to make sure a mistake wasn't made, they said "When you bought your safe in 1996, you bought our top of the line.  We replaced it with the same model, top of the line."

Liberty is good in my book.
View Quote

How does one 'lose' a safe?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

heat may rise but the hottest part of the fire is at the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can personally attest that Liberty will stand behind their lifetime warranty.

I lost a safe in September (Liberty Presidential).  I bought it in 1996.  The dealer I bought it from dug through the attic and found my original purchase order (Liberty Safe, Sacramento, CA) even though it had been almost 20 years.

Liberty gave me absolutely no hassle.  They sent me paperwork, I filled it out, they sent me a new safe to the closest dealer.  I paid for shipping only.

When I bought my Liberty, it was $3200.  The new one was almost $6K, and Liberty also decked the new safe with lights, an outlet, dehumidifier, and door storage--all things my old safe did not have.  When I called Liberty to make sure a mistake wasn't made, they said "When you bought your safe in 1996, you bought our top of the line.  We replaced it with the same model, top of the line."

Liberty is good in my book.

Appently some fucking crack hears took it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Keep in mind Liberty has a very wide range of RSCs.  Everything from branded Chinese box store specials to really nice high enders.  So technically they have crap and quality stuff.
View Quote

This is GD, ain't no body got time fo facts.  

Did you see the video of the former NFL practice team linebacker high on PCP using nothing but an 87 Lbs Council Tool Apocalaxe Diamond Cutting Carbon Nitrided Boride axe cut into that $250 after Costco instant rebate 22 gauge Liberty Safe?  If you have then you'd be like me and fuck no I wouldn't spent a cent on Liberty, they're all shit.  Every single one of them.  

(sarcasm for those with a broken meter)
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am sorry but liberty safes are junk.  That safe while charred, I doubt was subjected to high temperatures for any significant amount of time. I would like to see a broader shot of the safe.  I am betting seeing that broader shot would show the fire was not as bad as it would appear by zooming in on the safe.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZikSlwWm30#t=93

Bait and switch.  The OP complemented Libertys on their fire rating, not their ability to withstand safecracking after thieves bring it back to their garage.  Every safe can be cracked once thieves bring it back to their garage.  If you show me any safe filled with gold bars that I can bring back to my garage I will show you my new free gold bars..  Can you show me a video of thieves opening up a Liberty safe bolted to the floor in a cellar?

Are there better quality safes out there?  Absolutely...but saying Liberty safes "Junk" simply because there are better quality safes is unrealistic.  The OP's Liberty safe saved his bacon (and whisky) so the OP certainly doesn't think they're junk.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can someone point me towards this arf safe thread that has been referenced here?  Is it tacked in one of the subforums?
View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/46_Safes_andamp__Home_Security.html

Most of the info is in the Ask the AmSec guy thread.

edit: speeling.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.  I thought I remembered that thread when it started, but then I couldn't find it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:15:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Looks just like mine.  Good to know that it might actually make it through a fire.  Always wondered how it would fare.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
must be good whisky if you have to keep it in the safe
View Quote

I keep my Johnnie Walker Blue in the gun safe, my brother will mix it with whatever if i leave it out...

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:19:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I keep my Johnnie Walker Blue in the gun safe, my brother will mix it with whatever if i leave it out...

Kharn

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
must be good whisky if you have to keep it in the safe

Kharn

Kclog?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:32:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#49]
This is why personal OPSEC is so important.

A smash and grab thief won't mess with a safe like liberty. It's the guy driving by who sees you putting your SR-25s in your safe in the garage after your trip to the range.....a targeted breakin where they know you have a safe and know how to beat it will defeat all but the very best safes out there.

Liberty is good value for most gun owners. If you have a $30000 collection you may want to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If a normal hobo lives in fridge box, does a high class hobo live in a safe?
View Quote

He lives in a safe box.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top