Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/30/2015 11:16:30 PM EDT
Upgraded future versions of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter could replace the stealthy jet’s Pratt & Whitney F135 turbofan with a new adaptive cycle engine. The current F135 engine is at the limits of its capabilities and can’t push the jet out to the outer edges of its airframes capabilities—especially at low speeds.

Basically, the F-35 airframe gets too hot at lower flight levels because of the limitations of the F135—which has to run at high temperatures to generate maximum power. The F135 generates 28,000 lbs of thrust normally, but produces over 43,000 lbs of thrust with the afterburner engaged. "Today the F-35 has flight restrictions at low altitude because of thermal management,” an industry source told The National Interest.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/f-35-needs-bigger-more-powerful-engine-12491

More at the link
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah but at least when it's flying slow its guns will be more effective
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Should have had two engines all along.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess the old bird is getting long in the tooth.

Time to start upgrading.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
TRILLIONS...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Wasn't there a big argument over the 2 engine option? And now this comes out..... Hmm.... Not a P&W study I am sure.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
GE J79 - 17,835 lbf (79.3 kN) with afterburner

PW F135 - 43,000 lbf (191.35 kN) with afterburner

The F-35's 1 engine has more power than the F-4's 2 engines combined. Yet the F-35 is regularly criticized for being under powered while the F-4 is look back upon, reverently, as being a brick held aloft by the might of its powerful engines.

(yes I realize the problem presented in the linked article is much more complex, I just find the above dichotomy amusing)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Total goat fuck
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That pretty much sums it up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

It doesn't even have the software to shoot its gun yet, so, a lot of good that will do.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I was gonna call it the flying Bradley but that's an insult to the Bradley.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:58:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It doesn't even have the software to shoot its gun yet, so, a lot of good that will do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's the joke...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
So when is someone going to hang for this? Do you we need to dig up Eisenhower?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:03:03 AM EDT
[#13]
GOOD I hope it fucks CT

http://www.pratt-whitney.com/Home
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe we can just roll them down a hill at the enemy?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:05:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL FPNIA
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#16]
A trillion or so will fix that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe the pilot can lean out of the window and shoot 'em with his m9.

Wait, they killed that too, didn't they?

Hard to keep up with it all sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:07:48 AM EDT
[#18]
And they were pimping this as a potential A-10 replacement?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:08:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like GE is just butthurt the F-136 didn't get selected

Non-story
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The F-35's 1 engine has more power than the F-4's 2 engines combined. Yet the F-35 is regularly criticized for being under powered while the F-4 is look back upon, reverently, as being a brick held aloft by the might of its powerful engines.

(yes I realize the problem presented in the linked article is much more complex, I just find the above dichotomy amusing)
View Quote

How does the F-4 airframe compare to the F-35?  It's all relative.  They are saying that because of the advanced airframe of the F-35 those powerful engines are havng to run with afterburner on too much (thus too hot) and even then aren't capable of pushing the airframe to the limits they designed it to handle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:10:10 AM EDT
[#21]
The Tea Party is credited with killing the second engine. GE/Rolls Royce.... lost the battle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How does the F-4 airframe compare to the F-35?  It's all relative.  They are saying that because of the advanced airframe of the F-35 those powerful engines are havng to run with afterburner on too much (thus too hot) and even then aren't capable of pushing the airframe to the limits they designed it to handle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It doesn't say it was to fly with AB more anywhere in that article

The entire article reeks of GE bullshit
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You didn't read the entire article, did you.    
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:51:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Super Hornets FTMFW !!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Pratt & Whitney?   Wasn't their crap that almost killed the Mustang?  

Maybe the F-35 also needs some Rolls Royce love.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:55:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh... Rolls charges you for parts you don't even need!

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Un-believable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View Quote
Should have gone with the F-22

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you meant YF-23 Black Widow.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

That thing looked awesome
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:14:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Wasnt the F 35 the one with the fuel problem? Or was that the F22?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought the guns weren't going to work for a few years yet. They haven't written the software or something.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:16:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure it lost because it just looks all wonky and the fighter mafia didn't care for that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#34]
This entire F-35 is just one big
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I thought the guns weren't going to work for a few years yet. They haven't written the software or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, it was Allison whose engines were in the early Mustangs.

Pratt & Whitney powered the F4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat, F8F Bearcat, F7F Tigercat, F4U Corsair, B-50 Superfortress, C-119 Flying Boxcar, B-36 Peacemaker, C-97 Stratofreighter (and -tanker), hell even the Spruce Goose!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The F-22 was never in competition with the F-35.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Just wait until it needs a bigger fully redesigned  fuel system or the new engine needs some exotic fuel or some other ridiculous thing. As was posted above,  trillion doller plane, here we come.        

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

And the O2 system worked.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:15:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep.

I'm fairly damned certain that both flight demonstrators (the YF-22 and YF-23, which only vaguely resemble the desired product) used LOX, not OBOGS.

Had the F-23 been selected, its non-existent OBOGS would also have had to have been developed. And it, too, could have had problems.

The YF-23 lost for a reason. It was an incomplete prototype without even a demonstration of its complicated and potentially problematic weapons bay. If Northrop had wanted to win the ATF contract, they should have built an actual proof of concept aircraft showcasing their ability the overcome the highest risk elements in their design. That's what Lockheed did, and it's why Lockheed won.

The F-23 might have been a little stealthier, in theory. It offered little else over the F-22.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:34:42 AM EDT
[#41]
This article on, Overall Pressure Ratio, explains some of the design constraints of jet engines.  

Add to this the stealth requirement of minimizing the waste heat dumped overboard and you get the problems the F-35 is having.  

These problems are not a surprise, they were expected, the trick is to find work-arounds, like the variable pressure ratio engine so the engine adapts to the flight situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overall_pressure_ratio

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 3:50:03 AM EDT
[#42]
If I recall correctly, the F35 is the first fighter since vietnam to have less than a 1-1 thrust to weight ratio.  That engine is working hard to do what it does...so one would assume it is going to get hot and have problems as it isn't all that powerful compared to the mission weight of the aircraft.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:48:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly, the F35 is the first fighter since vietnam to have less than a 1-1 thrust to weight ratio.  That engine is working hard to do what it does...so one would assume it is going to get hot and have problems as it isn't all that powerful compared to the mission weight of the aircraft.  

View Quote

which variant? there are 3; A,B, and C.

I think the A version is similar thrust to weight to an F16, but thrust to weight is a pretty general rating.
for instance, an F-35A loaded with some JDAMS amd AMRAAMS can store them internally, decreasing the drag over a similarly loaded F16.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This article on, Overall Pressure Ratio, explains some of the design constraints of jet engines.  

Add to this the stealth requirement of minimizing the waste heat dumped overboard and you get the problems the F-35 is having.  

These problems are not a surprise, they were expected, the trick is to find work-arounds, like the variable pressure ratio engine so the engine adapts to the flight situation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overall_pressure_ratio

View Quote

Apparently not, if they are currently in production with said problems.

It's time to find and stop the Sino-Russian agents responsible for keeping the F-35 program alive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I wonder if the new engine will be louder than the current one.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:19:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, Strike Eagles have less than a 1:1 (by a decent amount - they're heavy)

(Not sure where you're basing the thrust/weight ratio off of - that statement might be true if you were talking about light weight
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Just to bring people up to speed on the YF-23..  There was even a thread on ARFCOM ~~  https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1435392

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The current F135 engine is at the limits of its capabilities and can’t push the jet out to the outer edges of its airframes capabilities.
View Quote

So it still flies, but it doesn't give pilots a chubby? This is a reason to upgrade the engines on 1500+ aircraft, most of which you haven't even bought yet?

You guys really need to cock-punch the folks driving your procurement. They need to learn that they're buying weapons, not Italian sports cars.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
So it still flies, but it doesn't give pilots a chubby? This is a reason to upgrade the engines on 1500+ aircraft, most of which you haven't even bought yet?

You guys really need to cock-punch the folks driving your procurement. They need to learn that they're buying weapons, not Italian sports cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The current F135 engine is at the limits of its capabilities and can’t push the jet out to the outer edges of its airframes capabilities.

It brings me back to the original F-14A with its shit TF30 engines.

How long did the Navy accept the sub-par performance of the TF30 before they they went with the F-100 engines?

13 years.

And even then they didn't re-engine the entire fleet, the Navy was still flying the F-14A right up until it was retired.

How many F-14A's were lost due to that craptastic engine?

At least this time around they are acknowledging the issue and working a solution instead of hiding their head in the sand.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top