Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:14:27 PM EDT
Neighboring HOA tried to enforce it's rules on me...and I am not even part of their HOA...

Was cleaning up the garage this weekend and some guy came up my drive way with a flier pointing out some of my violations.  (Trash cans visible outside, weeds growing in lawn (I keep it cut, but they complained that it had dollar weeds in it, and blades of grass going over the side walk).  

I played along because I wasn't sure it was legit or not and told him ok.

I have lived here for over 6 years and don't ever recall being in HOA.  Did some research and contacted the corp that runs this HOA and I am not even under them.  The HOA that covered my area was dissolved in 2009.

I went on their forum and told them they should inform who ever is going out trying to enforce rules that they need to stick to streets covered by their HOA.  

What is pathetic is some of the complaining on this forum.  It is mainly older retired people in their late 60s complaining that there view is ruined because they can see the neighbors trash can (talk about a 1st world problem).  From the way the post was written it was like some one had been murdered on the lawn.

I am truly surprised no one has tried to build a killdozer to fight some of these HOAs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Want to borrow my D9?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're not part of their HOA, take it all in stride.  It must have been a relief to find out they had no power over you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Next time man up and engage that octogenarian in an olde time bout of fisticuffs.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Want to borrow my D9?
View Quote
That piddly thing?  Might as well step up to a D11.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]
post link to forum so we can invite them to the lemon party
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, it's evident that trash can showing cretins like you are responsible for the downfall of modern society.  Without the thin HOA line, you might work on your car (trucks are not allowed) in your driveway, leave your garage door open for more than ten minutes, let your grass grow to seven inches, or....(gasp) drink in your driveway.

HOA's.  For the children (in adult bodies).
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Display trash cans proudly in the middle of the yard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#8]
after that I would go out of my way to put up a bright yellow and orange polka dot fence, the ugliest brightest colored shed, and leave my cans by the street all week long...

Just to be a spiteful prick
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Let the grass grow up just to piss them off.  My bitch of a neighbor called codes because I was working on my vette and we took the hood off.

Our codes state grass cannot average more than 4" high so I did the math and had 2 ac of perfectly manicured lawn and a 15' strip along her property that was 3' high.  It looked like shit and my wife did not like it but codes man said it was legal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Time to paint your trash can bright pink.

Also, HOA web forum?  GTFO, that's like troll paradise.
Lucky.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Really don't like HOA
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Maybe it's time you quarter a deer or something like that in your front yard?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Without pics of weeds and trashcan this thread is useless..

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link to HOA forum?
Sounds like some good reading for a few chuckles.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:23:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I would have waited for it to escalate and allowed them the opportunity to make more profitable mistakes.    

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
HOA's

I could never..............

Mostly I don't play well with others, serious authority issues too................
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to borrow my D9?
I wasn't sure how close to a railroad line he was
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, HOA web forum? GTFO, that's like troll paradise.
View Quote

Yea its some kind of website called nextdoor . To get access to you have to prove you live in the neighborhood.  Otherwise it would be a free for all...lol
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Next time man up and engage that octogenarian in an olde time bout of fisticuffs.
View Quote

Haymakers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Neighboring HOA tried to enforce it's rules on me...and I am not even part of their HOA...

Was cleaning up the garage this weekend and some guy came up my drive way with a flier pointing out some of my violations.  (Trash cans visible outside, weeds growing in lawn (I keep it cut, but they complained that it had dollar weeds in it, and blades of grass going over the side walk).  

I played along because I wasn't sure it was legit or not and told him ok.

I have lived here for over 6 years and don't ever recall being in HOA.  Did some research and contacted the corp that runs this HOA and I am not even under them.  The HOA that covered my area was dissolved in 2009.

I went on their forum and told them they should inform who ever is going out trying to enforce rules that they need to stick to streets covered by their HOA.  

What is pathetic is some of the complaining on this forum.  It is mainly older retired people in their late 60s complaining that there view is ruined because they can see the neighbors trash can (talk about a 1st world problem).  From the way the post was written it was like some one had been murdered on the lawn.

I am truly surprised no one has tried to build a killdozer to fight some of these HOAs.
View Quote

Nelson JPEG.?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#21]
And when folks wonder what spawned the need/want for a HOA, they need to look at a few of the replies so far.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Next time one of them shows up, and while they are limping back to their car (a good 90 seconds or so), run out and curl a stoolie on their hood. Dominance. Ripe, spiteful, fuck-your-HOA dominance.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to borrow my D9?
It'll make its own right of way

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta love the HOAs. I lived under one for a while.  My story:

A friend of mine calls me up one day and says, hey, my neighbor's selling a hot tub. You want it?

Nah, can't afford it.

He only wants $300........?

I'll be right over!

Since I'm a newly divorced guy back in the dating pool, it looks pretty good.

So I get the thing, hire a couple of guys to help me get it up on the deck. All the neighbors are watching. Finally the old guy across the street walks over and tells me that the association doesn't allow hot tubs.

I look at the bylaws and find nothing. I proceed.

The weeks passed, I reinforced the deck so it would take the weight, I fill the tub up, put in the chemicals, everything works fine.

For 2 years random debauchery and immorality ensue. I made the deck rail/screen a bit higher to discourage spectators.  I finally get tired of paying the electric bill for the thing, and sell it on Craigslist.

Get the HOA newsletter a month later, and they have held a special meeting to deal with the scourge of hot tubs in a family neighborhood. They are now banned.

LOL

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:28:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Invite the man into their lives.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Only reasonable answer.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Let the grass grow up just to piss them off.  My bitch of a neighbor called codes because I was working on my vette and we took the hood off.

Our codes state grass cannot average more than 4" high so I did the math and had 2 ac of perfectly manicured lawn and a 15' strip along her property that was 3' high.  It looked like shit and my wife did not like it but codes man said it was legal.
View Quote

That's living on the edge man. Way to passive aggressive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm an asshole so I would go out of my way to piss that guy off now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
I would go buy a few more trash cans, and fill them with dirt (so they don't blow away) and leave them outside for a good week or 6.

My dad has 15 acres, 5 of which are part of an HOA, he has a trap machine that is really nice, so we shoot trap out in his back yard occasionally. The neighbors complained, and voted in an amendment to ban shooting.

So we backed the trap machine onto the land not governed by the HOA and partied on
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:30:58 PM EDT
[#30]
The neighborhood busy body is trying to get everyone to sign up for an HOA.  She goes door to door every couple of weeks and leaves flyers on the door.  She's tried to stop me to and from work a couple of times.  Thankfully I'm no longer on days.  I should throw all the crumpled flyers on her doorstep.  

I need to drop an email to my attorney friend and make sure they can't somehow incorporate us into an HOA w/o our permission.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:01 PM EDT
[#31]
So how did they respond?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Should have invited him back to see how well things look.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Yea its some kind of website called nextdoor . To get access to you have to prove you live in the neighborhood.  Otherwise it would be a free for all...lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Also, HOA web forum? GTFO, that's like troll paradise.

Well there goes my plans for tonight.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#34]
You were much too polite in my opinion, and I salute you for that. I guess.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh, almost forgot to mention - Christmas Decorations...

All...

Year...

Long...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#36]
If it was me, I'd set a sofa on the front lawn and sit on it everyday drinking beer just to piss those yahoos off.  HOAs are freaking ridiculous.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I hated working for an HOA, it might have been the worst 9 months of my life.

For the most part the people who lived in the area were decent people but there was always a few who were complete assholes.

Now I avoid going to Las Colinas.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well, thats like, just your opinion, man.

I thought it was AWESOME ! !!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All...

Year...

Long...
View Quote

We rented a condo once where Christmas lights had to be down by mid January.  Ours were still up by June.  We got a letter in the mail for $125 fine for leaving our Christmas lights up.  I wrote them a letter back saying they were summer solstice lights and we were greatly offended they were discriminating against those who choose to follow paganism.  

Never heard anything back and cleared the condo w/o owing anyone any money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Time to break out the flamingoes and start doing your yard work in a speedo.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
And when folks wonder what spawned the need/want for a HOA, they need to look at a few of the replies so far.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#43]
nobody is gonna tell me what i can do on my land.

fuck them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Your MS Paint diagram isn't loading
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#46]
You blew it OP
You should have said nothing and simply not complied. Than let them threaten, and hopefully they would have tried to take action against you.
Than you could have sued them
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is always that one guy............
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If it was me, I'd set a sofa on the front lawn and sit on it everyday drinking beer just to piss those yahoos off.  HOAs are freaking ridiculous.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#49]
HOA's: Bringing Big Government-like intrusion to your neighborhood.

TC
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We rented a condo once where Christmas lights had to be down by mid January.  Ours were still up by June.  We got a letter in the mail for $125 fine for leaving our Christmas lights up.  I wrote them a letter back saying they were summer solstice lights and we were greatly offended they were discriminating against those who choose to follow paganism.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All...

Year...

Long...

That's some outside-the-box thinking.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top