Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:51:07 AM EDT
Taking the family down there next week for the kids' spring break and camping on the NAS.  Anybody recommend any must-see activities?

So far, we're planning on spending some time at the USS Alabama in Mobile and I'm taking my son diving at Morrison Springs.  Other than that, we're wide open.

Any must-see/do sights & activities?

How about restaurants?  Living in MI, we don't get the best/freshest seafood...where can we get the best oysters?

What's the fishing like in Perdido Bay?  We'll be on the shore, so I'm thinking fishing off the bottom with natural bait on a Carolina Rig.

How about must-avoid places?  We're going to be there on the very tail end of collegiate spring break, and would definitely like to avoid those crowds.  With that in mind, are there any good beaches we can find a bit of solitude on?  I hear the AL beaches are wonderful...

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Brian
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
See if our tag is still on the F4 near the entrance to the school house.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Naval aviation museum
Barancas cemetery
Go out on P'Cola beach and head east if you want solitude on the beach
Joe Patti's fish market
McGuire's Irish Pub

Edit:  since you're going to Mobile, eat at Felix's
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#3]
The Naval Air Museum is a must see. If you are camping or staying in the cabins on NAS Pcola the museum is less than a mile away. The lighthouse is close as well and a must see IMO.
If you like old forts, Barrancas is on base, and Ft. Pickens is out on Pensacola Beach. You also have Ft. Morgan, Mobile Bay ferry, and Ft. Gaines on the Alabama side but from Pensacola it will take well over an hour to get there.
Lots of good eating places, but one of my favorites is McGuire's Irish Pub in Pensacola.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a metric shit ton of artificial reefs close in to Pensacola, If you like fishing and can grab a small boat charter its worth the time. Other than that, ask the local bait shop whats biting off the beach/piers and follow that advice.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's a metric shit ton of artificial reefs close in to Pensacola, If you like fishing and can grab a small boat charter its worth the time. Other than that, ask the local bait shop whats biting off the beach/piers and follow that advice.
View Quote

Cobia are just getting going.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you dive?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
We went to a tourist trap called Crabs.  It was red and on the beach. Not sure if in Pensacola or on Santa Rosa Island, which is where we were.  I'm sure there are better places, but the atmosphere was fun, and the food was good and plentiful.  The key lime pie was enormous, took a couple of days and 2 of us to finish it.  My daughter and her friend each got crab nachos (or something similar) for appetizers and could have had just those for the meal.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If I was in Pensacola I wouldn't go to Morrison's Springs to dive, plenty of good diving off of Pensacola, not in a pond.

My favorite restaurant in the world is Peg Leg Pete's on Pensacola Beach.

The Museum of Naval Aviation is a must see.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#9]
All of the above suggestions are great. Above all be careful. Driving to NAS you will go through some 'low income' areas. Check with base security if you will be carrying. In years past you could check your weapon at the security bldg at the main entrance - but I haven't been in years so maybe someone else can chime in here. You will love the area. We welcome 'transplants' so come back often !!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Avoid house parties in Panama City.  

Link
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I was in Pensacola I wouldn't go to Morrison's Springs to dive, plenty of good diving off of Pensacola, not in a pond.

View Quote

I'm diving with my 10 yo son.  It's his first OW dive...hence Morrison's.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Take a ride down the beach from Pensacola Beach to Gulf Islands National Seashore (Luna Drive / Bowden Way / Gulf Drive are all the same road). When you get to Navarre, stop at the park and say a prayer for the 11 lives lost there earlier this month in a UH-60 crash.

There is a bunch of neat, historical places to see, but don't forget the beaches are some of the best in the world!

Oh, and take the kids to McGuires for a 'made on site' root beer and have one of their adult brews for yourself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
The Blue Angels should be doing practice on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  The Shrimp Basket on Blue Angel is one of my Wife's favorites, but I don't remember if they have oysters.  The Pensacola Beach recommendation, is not where you want to go.  Maybe if you check out Fort Pickens to the WEST of Pensacola Beach.  You can do some good fishing there as well as check out the old forts.  PensacolaFishingForums can give you some good info as well.  Welcome to the area! And stay in the right lane unless you're passing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#14]
The Alabama tour is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]
whats the restaurant that you staple a dollar to the cieling. tourist trap but the food wasnt bad
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

whats the restaurant that you staple a dollar to the cieling. tourist trap but the food wasnt bad

View Quote
McGuire's. They have their own beer, and it's pretty decent.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I was just on google maps..IIRC, the F4 we tagged was in front of the school house...I just see an F18 sitting out on the street corner..shit change there since the mid 90's? Is there an F4 at an entrance of a building down there, I remember a garden around part of it and it off the sidewalk..

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:32:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Joe Patti's is the best seafood market this land lubber has been to.

We like to go there and spend a lazy afternoon grilling a feast.

Look around, and know what you want before you get a number.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Blue Angels should be doing practice on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  The Shrimp Basket on Blue Angel is one of my Wife's favorites, but I don't remember if they have oysters.  The Pensacola Beach recommendation, is not where you want to go.  Maybe if you check out Fort Pickens to the WEST of Pensacola Beach.  You can do some good fishing there as well as check out the old forts.  PensacolaFishingForums can give you some good info as well.  Welcome to the area! And stay in the right lane unless you're passing.
View Quote

Technically, you have to go to Okaloosa Island for the best beaches... PB was a generic description for the out of towners.  You know how they are, wet and sandy means a beach.  No true connoisseur of beaches exists outside of the state of Florida anyway.  Gulf Islands is good for family beach time as long as there isn't a little storm rumbling in the Gulf!  Plus the wreck may be visible if he's lucky.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Technically, you have to go to Okaloosa Island for the best beaches... PB was a generic description for the out of towners.  You know how they are, wet and sandy means a beach.  No true connoisseur of beaches exists outside of the state of Florida anyway.  Gulf Islands is good for family beach time as long as there isn't a little storm rumbling in the Gulf!  Plus the wreck may be visible if he's lucky.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm from Ft. Walton.  The fishing is better in Pensacola and Navarre than here.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I'll second everything above! I lived in p cola in the early 80s and its a great place! For beaches, do spend a day on pensacla beach( Santa rosa island) and the pier. But the best beach is on gulf island national seshore, miles of beautiful white sand. Joe patties is a fish market, Joey pattis is a great fried food diner beside it. Figure on spending a whole day on NAS, see the blues practice in the morning then the rest of the day at the museum.  For fishing advise stop at outcast bait and tackle. Check out the pensacolafishingforum.com as well the guys on there can help a bunch. If you get a charter boat go to daybreak marina for the best. If you go out for some adult beverages don't miss the Flora-Bama lounge, they also have a shuttle tha will take you to Lulus ( Jimmy Buffets sister owns it)
Have a great time!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#22]
To keep down the tourist population, we occasionally get these guys involved.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd go to Navarre, but I like a little more peace and quiet. And I'll second Peg Leg Petes. Get some Oysters Rockefeller. And drive on the island from Navarre to Pensacola. Absolutely gorgeous.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

To keep down the tourist population, we occasionally get these guys involved.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-US8cIIQAIHsxb.jpg

http://floridaduh.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/mako.jpg
View Quote
I missed out skinny dipping with a skinny hot 18 year old gas station girl one night because it was shark feeding time.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#25]

I don't know if its still there but there is/was a little restaurant just under the pcola side of the bridge on Gulf beach HWY. that crosses over to Perdido Key (Theo Bahrs bridge?) Last time we were down there it was the best food we had! Just a little hole in the wall place with 3 or 4 tables in a screen room with a separate kitchen.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#26]
McGuire's Irish Pub

You may have to kiss the moose!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

THE school house he says.  Like there is only one on P-cola
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

He wants to go EAST of P'Cola beach (like I said) for the solitude he seeks.  

Just head East past all of the houses and Portofino (huge multi bldg condo complex OP, you can't miss it) and you'll find miles of nothing.  There's only a couple of "official" parking lots but you'll find a hell of a lot more empty beach than people.

There's a place directly across from Joe Patti's (Sam's maybe?  Can't exactly remember. I only get over there a few times a year) that's really good.  

A quick stop in outcast tackle shop is in order too:
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Peg leg Pete's. Place is really good.  Someone mentioned the Shrimp Basket.  I'm not a fan, it's similar to a chain restraunt. Peg Leg's is much better
McGuires is good as well.   Plenty of nice places downtown as well.  

Blue Angels practice on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  That's always cool to watch.  Aviation museum as others have mentioned.  

If you drive to Eglin, hit up the Armament Muesum.

Fishing is warming up.  Cobia are being caught and pompano should being moving soon, reds and black drum are being caught off the beaches and piers.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Georgio's Pizza, Flounders Restrant, TGD firearms, Pensacola Indoor shooting Range, Jays guns and accessories. I think jims firearms has a store there, they are the people i use for supressors.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is the MAIN one..the big ass'd one..I know, there are more. I remember the F4 we tagged was in front of 'one' of them..two story's, lots of wood. Big glass display cases on the main floor..

I thought it was the main one..
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Eat at Felix's on the Causeway when you go see the USS Alabama. It's less than a mile away, has a nice view over the bay, and the food is good.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Mcguires is a must!
Flora-bama's is fun place to go.
head over to Gulf shores, in Alabama, there you thave the original oyster house--good seafood..then there Lamberts--home of the throwed roll-----check it out
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Drive an hour East on I-10 to see the Armament Museum here on Eglin AFB.    

http://www.afarmamentmuseum.com/

Have lunch Stewby's afterward.  

http://stewbys.com/

After Stewby's, head over to Hurlburt Field to check out their collection of static displays of special operations aircraft.  It's quite impressive.  

Eglin, Stewby's, and Hurlburt are all within about 8 miles or so of each other.  You can follow Hwy 98 along the beach all the way back to Pensacola from Hurlburt Field to complete the round robin.  Definitely worth the drive.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a very boring dive but given the circumstances it will be fine. There's some decent reef diving off PCB where they sunk the old bridge spans, wouldn't be a bad follow up.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fishing is warming up.  Cobia are being caught and pompano should being moving soon, reds and black drum are being caught off the beaches and piers.
View Quote

Reference picture, below:

We're camping on the NAS.  Trying to keep it "easy button" simple with the kids...wake up, eat some bacon and eggs, stroll over to the places indicated by the arrows, bounce some bait off the bottom for an hour or two, come back, go to the beach, see a museum, drink some beer (me, not the kids).  Good plan?

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Go to the museum at NAS. Pretty cool place.

Then go to AMS-1 at 0500 at take a picture of everyone standing in formation before PT for me.

ETA: PCola beach was always a nice place to go. They have a small boardwalk with a Hooters, a couple bars (bamboo billys was always the place to drink underage ) and some trinket shops.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#38]
McGuires Irish Pub - should still have my dollar on the wall somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#39]
I really, really miss it down there.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I really, really miss it down there.
View Quote

I had a lot of fun there. I was lucky I didnt get in more trouble than I did. Stupid minor stuff, but had an ass chewing more times from the Squadron Gunny that I would have liked.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We're camping on the NAS.  Trying to keep it "easy button" simple with the kids...wake up, eat some bacon and eggs, stroll over to the places indicated by the arrows, bounce some bait off the bottom for an hour or two, come back, go to the beach, see a museum, drink some beer (me, not the kids).  Good plan?

http://i.imgur.com/Bo89eiW.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Carolina rig, with some peeled shrimp should get you bites.  I'd use any pinfish caught as bait for reds.  Generally you're going to catch flounder, spec trout and reds there.  Good eating on all counts, just make sure you know the limits.
Click the fish to see the limits.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A Carolina rig, with some peeled shrimp should get you bites.  I'd use any pinfish caught as bait for reds.  Generally you're going to catch flounder, spec trout and reds there.  Good eating on all counts, just make sure you know the limits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'll do, then.  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:52:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reuben Egg Rolls and the best Filet I've ever had.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That's a very boring dive but given the circumstances it will be fine. There's some decent reef diving off PCB where they sunk the old bridge spans, wouldn't be a bad follow up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which number is that on this site: Link

I really want to see how he does at Morrison's.  In the pool he's a natural, but I don't want to task saturate him beyond what he can reasonably handle at this point.  I have decades of diving with him (and my younger daughter) ahead of me...definitely don't want to take the fun out of the sport by pushing too hard.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:06:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

I heartily recommend Peg Leg's too.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Ive caught some big specks and reds there. early morning wading those grass flats was the best. I would use a  pearl white super fluke and dye the head red......ive caught reds, specks, small grouper, blues, and triple tail out there
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Update:

Arrived yesterday.

Had early Easter dinner at Peg Leg Petes and spent entirely too much money there.  Two dozen raw oysters and an oyster po' boy, all washed down with some Sweetwater 420.  Just what the doctor ordered.

Headed over to Ft Pickens to walk off the calories.  The drive to the fort was spectacular.  Sugar sand beaches.  The fort itself, was disappointing...trash everywhere.  Dirty diapers on the beach, garbage, bottles...ugh.    It's a sad thing to see a great blue heron perched on a rock that's covered in trash.

We'll head back there in a few days to dive the jetty.

Today: getting a couple dive cylinders filled at Dive Pros, check out the museum, and wet a line in Perdido Bay.  You guys who live he are lucky.

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:33:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Update:

Arrived yesterday.

Had early Easter dinner at Peg Leg Petes and spent entirely too much money there.  Two dozen raw oysters and an oyster po' boy, all washed down with some Sweetwater 420.  Just what the doctor ordered.

Headed over to Ft Pickens to walk off the calories.  The drive to the fort was spectacular.  Sugar sand beaches.  The fort itself, was disappointing...trash everywhere.  Dirty diapers on the beach, garbage, bottles...ugh.    It's a sad thing to see a great blue heron perched on a rock that's covered in trash.

We'll head back there in a few days to dive the jetty.

Today: getting a couple dive cylinders filled at Dive Pros, check out the museum, and wet a line in Perdido Bay.  You guys who live he are lucky.

View Quote

Those of us that live here typically don't litter like that.  The Angels will be practicing Tues. and Wed. this week.  I'm pretty sure it's 11:30.  I hope all goes well while you're here.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Naval aviation museum
Barancas cemetery
Go out on P'Cola beach and head east if you want solitude on the beach
Joe Patti's fish market
McGuire's Irish Pub

Edit:  since you're going to Mobile, eat at Felix's
View Quote

This guy covered it all.  Born and raised in Pensacola here!

Fishing at the pier on Pensacola Beach is better.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:51:55 AM EDT
[#50]
A review from Urbanspoon:

Georgio's is a vacation necessity!

We have only made it to Pensacola twice, but both times we had to eat at
Georgio's. Their garlicky, fresh tzatziki is fantastic and their gyro
is fresh and near perfect. I've never had a better gyro and their
chicken kabob is quite good with a great lemon flavor. I love Georgio's,
and the owners are great people to chat with too.

Section 8-looking outdoor food truck, but... the BEST gyros you will find anywhere, and baklava made the right way (not sticky sweet, just enough honey to bind the dozens of layers of ultra-thin phyllo dough...)  Fuck, my mouth is salivating just remembering how amazing the food is there.

Don't fear what you see when you drive up the dirt road to the shack - the 94% 'Like' ratio on Urbanspoon exists for a reason.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top