Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:24:27 AM EDT
Skip to the end for

Anyone who knows much about Florida knows it has, with few exceptions, little in common with the rest of the South. It owes its distinctiveness to its explosive growth over the last 60 years, a phenomenon that shows no signs of slowing.

Since the days of Eisenhower, only Texas and California exceeded Florida’s absolute gain in population, and geographers are quick to point out that those states have a lot more land mass to pack people into, and by a considerable margin, than we do here.

Nonetheless, the insatiable appetite of migrants for the Sunshine State has pushed Florida past New York. It now ranks as the third most populous state in the nation, with population estimated at more than 19 million.

The steep trajectory of Florida’s growth is remarkable given its status in the 1940s as the least populated southern state. There were about 2.7 million Floridians back then. The residents looked like each other (mostly white), worshiped like each other (mostly Protestant), and were homegrown like each other (mostly born in the South).

Florida then carried the historical imprimatur of the region’s antipathy toward blacks. It did not cotton to any movement toward racial equality. That changed, of course. The 20th century onslaught of diversity changed hearts, minds, and the rule of law. The state modernized. The relative suddenness of its transformation eclipsed anything the nation had ever seen before; nor has anything like it been seen since.

Florida is now the heir-apparent to California as the nation’s trendsetter, a moonshot achieved by the juggernaut of its explosive growth and the endless procession it offers of the bizarre and unprecedented. It invites evermorerapacious development, and narcissism on steroids.

Ponzi schemes are as plentiful as dandelions. Criminality is viral, fed by Florida’s excess of riches and the extent of its poverty, the perfect medium to grow and spread the disease of substance abuse, drug lords, pill mills, and the human trafficking going on under our noses. Urban sprawl and recreational megalopolises gobble up real estate so fast locals do not know what hit them. The pattern is well established and it is not waning. We are past the fail-safe point, deep into the quicksand of the unsustainable. The state’s challenges demand leaders with a long-term vision and a commitment to innovation; that seems unlikely to happen soon enough to save us from ourselves.

We suffer from politicians who espouse rank populism and court special interests who pay to play. The frequency with which they abuse their power earned our state the title of “Corruption Capital” of the nation. They arose to prominence out of the demographic and social mayhem unique to Florida’s development, but their conservatism is charting Florida’s turn to the right, out of the frying pan, and into the fire. It thus seems timely to come up with a moniker that more accurately reflects the lemming behavior and perilous ideology of this political class.

How about naming them the Party of Floridiots? A description follows.

Floridiots are a rising sect of politicians, derived from but not limited to the people who elected them. They may be identified by the irrationality with which they pursue the public interest, abandoning, whenever necessary, empathy, fact and critical thinking. Floridiots are an invasive species, commonly found throughout Florida, with well-established habitat in Tallahassee. However, their range is expanding to other states, threatening the demise of democratic governance through the successful pollination of right wing extremism. Floridiots have a fondness for substituting fiction for fact, and conceal with anonymity their I.O.U’s to special interests to whom they owe their power — Big Money, Big Energy, Big Sugar, the NRA, and the phalanx of lobbyists overrunning the state capitol. Floridiots hold a super majority in our state legislature, led by their Floridiot-in-Chief, Governor Rick Scott. These people have clearly taken leave of their senses.

I offer as evidence the following: Our governor bans the use of certain words by state agencies and employees that draw attention to the fact that Florida is in the crosshairs of climate change. Floridiots take federal money to compensate hospitals for care of the poor but refuse billions in federal aid for the purpose of providing health insurance to a million of the state’s uninsured. Floridiots work zealously so there will not be a place or a circumstance in the state where toting a gun is prohibited or unacceptable — exempting of course, the state legislature. Floridiots join the gun-crazies and survivalists in espousing an apocalyptic vision of danger everywhere, in our churches, grocery stores, schools, libraries, playgrounds, restaurants, bars; and now, college campuses. In the Floridiots’ Orwellian world, you can’t leave home without a gun because you may need to shoot your neighbor. Floridiots want to turn us all into a bullet in search of a target; and, God help us, even toddlers who shoot their mommy in a Wal-Mart are a permissible risk.

I rest my case.

http://palmbeachgardens.floridaweekly.com/news/2015-03-26/Opinion/The_party_of_Floridiots.html

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Fucking move then.  Bitch.

I love how she whines and complains about Government corruption, but if you asked the dumbass how to fix it, she'd say "government".

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:32:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What a fucking moron.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#3]
She talks about restricting first and second amendment rights, but complains about the current "Orwellian" powers in Florida. Hmm....
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Floridiots ...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Liberalism is a disease and you can tell by what this lady wrote she has a serious mental problem.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Amazingly, FL is a red state in terms of state-level and most county-level governments. Most of the Dems are confined to about a half-dozen stronghold counties but their numbers are huge there. The governor's seat will probably flip back and forth from R to D and back but the state legislature is heavy R due to that population spread. It's the big elections where the Dems have chances to win - US Pres, US Senate, FL governor.

This state is a great example of why I'd kind of like to the Electoral College go to county basis instead of state. I assume California, Illinois and New York may function similarly if that were the case.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#7]
" Floridiots take federal money to compensate hospitals for care of the poor but refuse billions in federal aid for the purpose of providing health insurance to a million of the state’s uninsured".

Whats the issue with this? They use the money to keep hospitals open and offset costs of the uninsured and dead beats.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn that Big Sugar!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#9]
First post...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If we didn't have such a strong GOP presence in the state legislature, our Democrats would make California's Democrats positively sane and well-reasoned.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:51:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll bet she wears sensible shoes

We need to bring back insane asylums and encourage the repopulation and growth of the spiritual havens for
hysterics that are convents
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish the thread started out with the location "west Palm Beach" I would have stopped reading right there
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Since when is Palm Beach part of Florida
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If we didn't have such a strong GOP presence in the state legislature, our Democrats would make California's Democrats positively sane and well-reasoned.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:00:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Bitch needs a gun shaped dildo to help her with her phobia.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I betcha ten bucks she doesn't know that Big Sugar in south Florida is a co-op.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Cane_Growers_Cooperative_of_Florida
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually this is Palm Beach Gardens/ Jupiter FL which is 20 minutes north of West Palm Beach but still in Palm Beach County.  It is generally considered a more conservative and wealthy area, but there are plenty of liberal wingnuts there as well.  She was nice enough to post her email in the image next to the photo.  Let me help, [email protected] or [email protected] .
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What a fucking moron.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I might take one seriously if I ever hear them sincerely use the term "left-wing extremism".
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually this is Palm Beach Gardens/ Jupiter FL which is 20 minutes north of West Palm Beach but still in Palm Beach County.  It is generally considered a more conservative and wealthy area, but there are plenty of liberal wingnuts there as well.  She was nice enough to post her email in the image next to the photo.  Let me help, [email protected] or [email protected] .
View Quote

Without looking into her background, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she turned out to be a transplanted snow bird.

Florida, by and large, is a pretty conservative state.  

It's Orlando, the I-4 corridor, Miami, and the Keys that bring out the derp during election season..... but sometimes you get idiots who move to north Florida from New England that just make you go

I really wish they would just break off and form North Cuba.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I bet that cunt is from NY or NJ.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:28:53 AM EDT
[#23]
It says she lives with her Pugs in Jupiter.  Funny how the dogs always resemble the owner.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:30:36 AM EDT
[#24]
More reason I'm glad to be moving to the Alabama side of the panhandle.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#25]
No way she isn't a f'n Yankee transplant.  West Palm is like the Austin of Florida.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#26]
How did Florida take the title of Corruption Capital from Illinois.  Or New York.  Or Jersey.  Or any of the other big contenders?

Oh, wait.  It didn't.  Unless you change your definition of "corrupt" to being "politics I don't agree with, which make me cry".
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:36:55 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

No way she isn't a f'n Yankee transplant.  West Palm is like the Austin of Florida.
View Quote
Yep, and she demonstrates a total lack of knowledge of Florida's history.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The steep trajectory of Florida’s growth is remarkable given its status in the 1940s as the least populated southern state.

https://comfortexpertsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Carrier-Air-Conditioners.jpg

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The steep trajectory of Florida’s growth is remarkable given its status in the 1940s as the least populated southern state.

https://comfortexpertsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Carrier-Air-Conditioners.jpg

You don't say...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#30]
"If anyone going to be fucking my cousin it will be me... Out if respect.. You know?"

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#31]

California is ----> that way bitch!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"If anyone going to be fucking my cousin it will be me... Out if respect.. You know?"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YKEJqN0kXN0/Uvf-vvAyNzI/AAAAAAAABes/d2STLLvmo1A/s1600/tumblr_mxtq5efSun1s31ttxo1_500.png
View Quote

What a great character.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#34]
On an unrelated note, my 12 gauge Mossberg is named Doomcock.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
" Floridiots take federal money to compensate hospitals for care of the poor but refuse billions in federal aid for the purpose of providing health insurance to a million of the state’s uninsured".

Whats the issue with this? They use the money to keep hospitals open and offset costs of the uninsured and dead beats.
View Quote

She wants to go full retard.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol, she's just pissed off that the GOP controls the Florida legislature & has more representatives than the democrats in the US House. Dumb cunt.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:03:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

On an unrelated note, my 12 gauge Mossberg is named Doomcock.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Look I think it is time for sensible gun laws like politicians should never be allowed to own firearms of any kind while they are in public office.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top