Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy a used dirt bike for $1800, some gear, and you don't need a bro-dozer to haul it, you'll have more fun and go more places than those RZR monstrosities, and learn a skill few of their drivers have.

You don't need to be rich to have fun offroad. In fact, some of the best fun is the cheapest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.

Kidding?  Or what did he do to get that?

Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.

And is not the norm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You are in Texas...

Do you have any idea how many kids are trust fund babies where their daddy either owns an oil company or owned mineral rights in the Eagle Ford,Barnett, or Haynesville shale?

Just a real life example......  2120 acres of mineral rights in Louisiana with a lease bonus of $25,000 per acre for a total of $53,000,000.  That was a check for $53,000,000 before they even put one well into the ground....

Before the recent oil crash people were making so much money they started their own banks

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Buy a used dirt bike for $1800, some gear, and you don't need a bro-dozer to haul it, you'll have more fun and go more places than those RZR monstrosities, and learn a skill few of their drivers have.

You don't need to be rich to have fun offroad. In fact, some of the best fun is the cheapest.

View Quote
But then you don't get any bro-hos, or bros to bro out with, bro.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm riding in the wrong area.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a fair point, and it's hard to hold a beer with your clutch hand.

<remembers passing hundreds of drunk UTV drivers at a recent trail event>
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:30:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.
View Quote

RZR 1000's are $20,000 plus tax and fees
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.

Holy shit!

I could buy a 2000 Tacoma for that!

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Holy shit!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit!

You can damn near get a new Wrangler for that, if you finagle a deal on a Sport.

I just paid 3500 bucks for an old Land Cruiser...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No tax if you buy out of state. Just a $25 title fee.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

Also, real men ride off-road on 2 wheels.
View Quote

maybe because you hated her guts and she was a bloodsucking harpy?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

One of the richest guys I ever did work for drove a beater, and dressed like a hobo. The dude was always working, and having work done to his properties.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Most of the people I know who have "self made" wealth drive shitty cars.

One of the richest guys I ever did work for drove a beater, and dressed like a hobo. The dude was always working, and having work done to his properties.

One of my bosses is worth millions, drives 20 year old pickup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

On the other hand it's always nice to cum into money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It's settled then.  If I continue to drive my 11 year old pick-up, I will be a multi-millionare in 9 years!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Holy shit!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit!

You can get very nice used ones.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You can damn near get a new Wrangler for that, if you finagle a deal on a Sport.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit!

Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Blazer, Toyota Land Cruiser (or anything else with front/rear solid axles) are not in the same category as a RZR - I want to see any of the solid axle vehicles do 45mph across a whoop section.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Shit's expensive, no doubt.  I am buying a Ranger Crew 900.  I was going to buy in February, but I decided to wait until May so I could pay cash in full.  

Back to the OP, most people are financed to the hilt.  No thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
None of it financed. Even the truck.

http://i.imgur.com/ZlHO4XJ.jpg  
View Quote

But tell everyone what you do for a living
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:02 PM EDT
[#19]
There are a lot of people out there with a lot of money.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was reading a thread on Wrangler Forum the other day, and there were guys financing their Rubicons for 84 months.
View Quote

Fuck!!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I am  40 with 3 kids 1, 6, and 13. Wife and I both work and do OK.
I have an 07 Z71, 16' flatbed Hudson style trailer to haul my toys. 4 quads a dirt bike and a little Suzuki lt50 and a LT80.
The most I have in any one quad is about $1700.00.
List
All Honda
1998 Fourtrax 300 4x4
1998 Recon 250
2004 Rancher
1987 200X
2003 XR100R

Nothing real fancy but all machines are 100% and if I total up all that I have in them including the trailer I am well under $5000.00.
I get reactions sometimes like I pour money away but that is not the case. I would love to drop $20,000 on a toy but I would never do that. I have fun on my old beaters and can keep up pretty well.

The brats with daddy's farm money is who I hate. Little pricks beating the crap out of the toys daddy buys them when they could not find a way out of a wet paper bag without having mommy and daddy to help.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Jeep Wrangler, Chevy Blazer, Toyota Land Cruiser (or anything else with front/rear solid axles) are not in the same category as a RZR - I want to see any of the solid axle vehicles do 45mph across a whoop section.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Holy shit!

Was anyone comparing their capabilities? I didn't see that, only the relative value.

I mean, if you want to draw comparisons, can you drive the RZR to and from the offroad area, or haul a 17' boat with it?

I think what people are saying is the RZR is way fucking expensive for a 4wd toy, relative to the cost of an on-road 4wd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah and there were 30k rzr high lifter editions out there too...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:21:26 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a TON of money in Texas, and some very expensive toys as a result.

Some of the money I see dumped into cars is ridiculous.  I run into guys with built cars, who don't own enough tools to put together an IKEA table.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:25:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yup, people making 100k a year just 4 hours south of me are just making a decent living, come up here and you are Mr. Moneybags if you can rake in 6 figures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're making a hundred grand a year and you're single with no kids; you're mismanaging your money if you can't afford to pay cash for a $15,000 toy.  

Some of the folks running around with expensive toys are up to their eyeballs in debt.  Some are paying cash for those toys.  

$100k/year ain't the same across the entire country.....

Yup, people making 100k a year just 4 hours south of me are just making a decent living, come up here and you are Mr. Moneybags if you can rake in 6 figures.

OP is in Texas though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#26]
used to sell powersports

I can count on one hand the number of units I sold for cash ( all to farmers at harvest time )

99% were financed at retarded rates
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

used to sell powersports

I can count on one hand the number of units I sold for cash ( all to farmers at harvest time )

View Quote

I just bought a bike from a dealer at a large multi-brand facility, and he was telling me the same thing. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I bought used, put half down, and got a 4% rate and will pay it off in a year. I'd never finance a new motorcycle/ATV...not when the market is perpetually saturated with gently-used "I shouldn't have bought this but it was so shiny" stuff out there with depreciation already taken care of (and often fully farkled).
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Different strokes I suppose.  Some people have a nice fancy ass house with all sorts of crazy gadgets inside but cant afford to do anything.  Others have badass cars but cant afford to put gas in it.  Then there's ARFCOM where everybody pays cash for everything and can live off the interest gained by their 22LR fund and retire by the time they are 40.

I'm always amazed at how many teenagers and guys in their early 20s are riding around in lifted diesels with new SxS with tons of mods...big lifts, aftermarket cages, etc.  Daddy's money I suppose.    

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

...how do I know these people don't know shit about off roading...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks

...how do I know these people don't know shit about off roading...

.....How do I know you don't know shit about off-roading......

They use them to haul their off-road vehicles, not actually offroad with them...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:50:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

If your are single, no kids, pulling $100k/yr and can't afford to pay cash for a $15k toy then maybe you're the one doing something terribly wrong.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:51:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap!  For $20,000 they better have a turbocharged inline 4 with a paddle shifter.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
used to sell powersports

View Quote

But I have it on good word here on Arfcom that there are "lots" of guys who pay cash for their toys and don't finance at 87% for 87 months.

Probably same guys who play a 6'5" 250 lb 10% body fat millionaire SEAL on the internet but are paler than Casper the Ghost because Mom's basement doesn't have windows.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.

I have a a 40k truck but owe a couple grand on it. Other than that i owe on my house but thats it.
View Quote

Can I get a job with you and your buddies? I'm doing it wrong
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Dime a dozen around here.  I live modestly but I'm in the heart of oilfield country.  Got a few cousins that get a few thousand a month just from gas royalties.  Kids in high school drive 50000 dollar brodozers.  Just how it is I suppose.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This I'd say. Any "business owner" I've met that worked a full time job somewhere else was in serious financial trouble.

If it was all paid off and the business made a lot of money, why would he be working a full time job instead of taking it easy or focusing on his successful business?

I'm not saying that guys situation is impossible, but I've never seen it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kidding?  Or what did he do to get that?

Owns a business, works full time for some one else, owns a house - and has time to maintain the house & maintain/play with multiple offroad toys. That math don't add up - unless he inherited more than a little bit. Or has more debt than you know about.

This I'd say. Any "business owner" I've met that worked a full time job somewhere else was in serious financial trouble.

If it was all paid off and the business made a lot of money, why would he be working a full time job instead of taking it easy or focusing on his successful business?

I'm not saying that guys situation is impossible, but I've never seen it.

Inherited business and the house. The business has been up for over 10 years and is run from the house. People order custom through him and he also has 60ish popular models on the lot that people come and meet him after his 9-5. Its been run as a secondary business to a full time job its entire life. Its pretty good money. He definitely isnt in debt, that i know for fact.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep a lot of failure to eject these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have noticed that a lot of "those people" are in their early 20's and still live at home with mommy and daddy. They have a job good enough to pay the notes on that stuff and party on the weekends, but they are fucked if they are forced out on their own.

Yep a lot of failure to eject these days.

24 here. With 350k house. Between wife and i, we gross 200k/yr...but we actually did finance it so we have some debt. Wife also has some school loans. And i owe some on my truck

Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're making a hundred grand a year and you're single with no kids; you're mismanaging your money if you can't afford to pay cash for a $15,000 toy.

Kinda what I was thinking too. I was in the same situation as the OP (single, no kids, $100k) and living in the NYC metro area and had no problem affording numerous expensive hobbies. Doing even better now that I'm down south.

+1 we come up with 15 extra pretty fast. Been using it to do lump sums on the house and wifes school loans. We have our first child on the way. Hope to have house paid off before she reaches 5. We are still young and have lots to learn about managing money and investments etc but i think we are on a pretty good path, especially comparing us to others my age. Grandpa always said the best thing about being young is having time to recover from mistakes. Not having any is ideal but I'm sure they'll be some failures along  the way
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was reading a thread on Wrangler Forum the other day, and there were guys financing their Rubicons for 84 months.
View Quote

I didn't even know they would do a term that long, I thought 60 was pretty much the max.

We just did my wife's new car at 60 because the rate was really low and sometimes during the winter we have to pay the minimum on stuff so we don't blow all our cash. During work season I do my best to pay double or more on everything so we can stay ahead of it, every loan so far has been paid off a year or more early.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Debt is the new status symbol.
View Quote

There's a reason credit report commercials and foreclosure relief commercials are popular on television.   There's a reason they advertise the "payment" for new cars.

When I was a kid they advertised the purchase price of new cars, credit cars weren't widely used, and there wasn't any such thing as credit report monitoring, or free credit reports.  In fact it wasn't until the early 90's that all these automated credit reporting services where adopted.  

Things can really change in 25 years.

Now it's all about "credit worthiness"  and making the payments on the coolest house, cars, and stuff.  Our government, and people are in too much debt.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Might be time for a phone call. "Hey, I was just thinking about you..."
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Some have land in lieu of wheeling machines.

Some have wheeling machines in lieu of land on which to wheel them.

With land alone, one cannot show ones economic status abroad.    

I know landed gentry with, and without, the money-broadcasting brodozer.  Those with brodozers don't risk the peril of wheeling it.  It's not the expense of repair; they don't want to get them dirty.  Even when staffed with 'Mexican' labor, It's cost prohibitive to clean the visible underside of the brodozer.  

Business tip for the manufacturers of brodozerization accoutrement: Make components with design and surface finishes friendly to cleansing.  Mud adheres too readily to cheap paint.
View Quote

Say wha?  You must be one of them funny speaking brit landers
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I just bought a bike from a dealer at a large multi-brand facility, and he was telling me the same thing. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

used to sell powersports

Best were the ones on the Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki cards

0% and $100 month payments for 24 months

Then 23% after that.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You need a bro-truck and one off road moto/utv/atv at a minimum to get a bro-ho, bro.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
You need a bro-truck and one off road moto/utv/atv at a minimum to get a bro-ho, bro.

Not gonna ask why the bro-ho's tore the crotches out of their jeans but I hope this is a new trend.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Not gonna ask why the bro-ho's tore the crotches out of their jeans but I hope this is a new trend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:53:00 PM EDT
[#44]
So I googled Down South offroad park.... meh.
This is how redneck royalty spends their money in Florida.

And if you really want to feel like you're missing out, google "Columbus Day Regatta Miami". Warning, most images will be NSFW.
Or have you ever seen an airboat with 2500 horsepower? This guy was out on the lake last month. Twin turbo, 632ci motor.

No matter how far up you climb on the ladder, there's always someone with more. Don't let it get to you.

Link Posted: 3/31/2015 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I want a RZR, but imho the pricing is just ridiculous. My wife wants to do offroading stuff...but doesn't want to drive, just passenger along. Which limits my options quite a bit.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top