Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/29/2015 11:10:21 AM EDT
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Debt is the new status symbol.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:12:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Debt....it's the American way.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I have noticed that a lot of "those people" are in their early 20's and still live at home with mommy and daddy. They have a job good enough to pay the notes on that stuff and party on the weekends, but they are fucked if they are forced out on their own.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was a little slow in figuring this out when I was a teenager with a credit card, but there is a big difference between being rich, and having credit.

A friend of a friend would probably fit right in with those boys.  Big new lifted Dodge 2500 with a diesel, big Polaris-something or another behind it on a trailer, up to his eyeballs in toy payments.  That's not a good way to live, IMO.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.

I was a little slow in figuring this out when I was a teenager with a credit card, but there is a big difference between being rich, and having credit.

A friend of a friend would probably fit right in with those boys.  Big new lifted Dodge 2500 with a diesel, big Polaris-something or another behind it on a trailer, up to his eyeballs in toy payments.  That's not a good way to live, IMO.

My friend who was with me believes that the majority of them are rich and easily afford it, I just have a hard time believing it. He has a RzR 570 bought for 10k put 2k down, does payments, and that's one of the cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.

I have a a 40k truck but owe a couple grand on it. Other than that i owe on my house but thats it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
It's the same way here at the lake...lots of people running around in brand new supercharged jet skis, brand new lifted trucks, brand new speed boats and pontoons.  I would say it must be nice to be able to afford that, but then again, most of it is probably indeed people up to their eyeballs in debt, taking out credit cards to pay other credit cards, etc.  I'll just be happy to be out on the lake this year (hopefully) in my 1994 Polaris ski that I built up from a bare hull with no debt involved.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a friend who is 25 and has over 1 million in assets including a 60k dollar jeep on 38s and a brand new rzr and about 6 4 wheelers and about 400k in other miscellaneous vehicles and a half a mil house, all paid off.
View Quote

Kidding?  Or what did he do to get that?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's the same way here at the lake...lots of people running around in brand new supercharged jet skis, brand new lifted trucks, brand new speed boats and pontoons.  I would say it must be nice to be able to afford that, but then again, most of it is probably indeed people up to their eyeballs in debt, taking out credit cards to pay other credit cards, etc.  I'll just be happy to be out on the lake this year (hopefully) in my 1994 Polaris ski that I built up from a bare hull with no debt involved.
View Quote

I bet it's way more fun without a payment!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:23:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, the majority of America is in debt. Not sure why you are asking that?

I used to race a modded yfz 450 and stopped the year the rzr craze hit. I can't afford it. If you break it down over 4 or 5 years it isn't as bad but the total overall cost sticks in the back of my head. I'd like to get a rzr in a few years for putting around town and the dunes a bit when I make enough money to justify it.

It's priorities. I'm trying to retire in my 30s. That plan isn't conducive to having high dollar toys. I had a blast the 4 years I rode but it was just a temp thing for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
My experience with that crowd is that they happily live in a run down trailer park, as long as they can get their hands on a trailer full of dirt bikes and quads. Same guys that buy a Tundra, add 15k of bullshit to turn it into a brodozer, then plaster it in Yeti and SaltLife stickers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#14]
My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

Also, real men ride off-road on 2 wheels.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Easy to get credit with a high APR, they don't care.

I know a guy driving around a 2015 truck he bought new with 16% APR.....that is just fucking crazy. He pays more per month on the truck than I do on my house.

I have debt but it is all from equipment and loans for the business. I drive a older truck and live in a modest house and try to get my debt to work for me, not to just provide me with fleeting entertainment.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:30:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Everyone I personally know that owns shit like that lives an a rental and has financed most of the stuff.
Most of them also have a wife or girlfriend who makes just as much money if not more than they do.

They can afford to live that lifestyle, but they can't sustain it once they have a kid or want to buy a house.

Those are the guys who sell their shit cheap after a couple of years.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Some have land in lieu of wheeling machines.

Some have wheeling machines in lieu of land on which to wheel them.

With land alone, one cannot show ones economic status abroad.    

I know landed gentry with, and without, the money-broadcasting brodozer.  Those with brodozers don't risk the peril of wheeling it.  It's not the expense of repair; they don't want to get them dirty.  Even when staffed with 'Mexican' labor, It's cost prohibitive to clean the visible underside of the brodozer.  

Business tip for the manufacturers of brodozerization accoutrement: Make components with design and surface finishes friendly to cleansing.  Mud adheres too readily to cheap paint.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]
My wife and I use to wonder about this until we retired and our friends had to keep working because they didn't have two nickels to rub together.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:32:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was at down south off road park last night. There where bad ass jacked up diesel trucks every, hundreds of Polaris RZR 1000, and Can Am 1000's rolling Round. And of course with thousands of upgrades. Are the majority of these people in debt?? Can they really afford this?? I want to get into this but damn it's like $15,000 for a RZR.  I am a $100,000k arfcommer single no kids, and I don't think I can afford this hobby.
View Quote

they are probably in debt. this is america the land of the credit card.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Owns his own business AND works a full time job outside of his business. Also inherited a little bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Owns a business, works full time for some one else, owns a house - and has time to maintain the house & maintain/play with multiple offroad toys. That math don't add up - unless he inherited more than a little bit. Or has more debt than you know about.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My wife and I use to wonder about this until we retired and our friends had to keep working because they didn't have two nickels to rub together.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Owns a business, works full time for some one else, owns a house - and has time to maintain the house & maintain/play with multiple offroad toys. That math don't add up - unless he inherited more than a little bit. Or has more debt than you know about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This I'd say. Any "business owner" I've met that worked a full time job somewhere else was in serious financial trouble.

If it was all paid off and the business made a lot of money, why would he be working a full time job instead of taking it easy or focusing on his successful business?

I'm not saying that guys situation is impossible, but I've never seen it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Most of the people I know who have "self made" wealth drive shitty cars.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That goes a long way if it is used properly, especially for funding business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most of the people I know who have "self made" wealth drive shitty cars.
View Quote

One of the richest guys I ever did work for drove a beater, and dressed like a hobo. The dude was always working, and having work done to his properties.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#26]
This is life in America on a macro level. Nearly everyone is in major debt and lives a lifestyle many, many steps higher than they should.

You would be 99.99999% accurate to say that most are dead broke. The guys you see with the BMW xxx, fancy suite and blah, blah watch are broke as fuck as well.

Most people that have real money have nothing g to prove!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Plenty of rich people out there that can afford stuff that I cant.   Others just prioritize differently than I do.  Some are just in debt up to their eyeballs.

OP.... Skip the razor and buy a Jeep.   Build it up as you can afford it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:43:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Most are 1-2 paychecks away from living in a cardboard box.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have noticed that a lot of "those people" are in their early 20's and still live at home with mommy and daddy. They have a job good enough to pay the notes on that stuff and party on the weekends, but they are fucked if they are forced out on their own.

View Quote

Yep a lot of failure to eject these days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:46:02 AM EDT
[#30]
A lot of people have trucks worth as much or more than their house.  People have different priorities.
I drive a 07' F350 crew cab lariat 4x4 offroad diesel.  I got  it cheap on ebay a few years ago and it would appear I am driving around a $60,000 truck when I actually paid less for it than a used Honda.
The brand new F350 King ranches raised and decked out that are running around put a hurting on even the ''Rich'' guys pockets.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:50:59 AM EDT
[#31]

My buddy goes to Down South.

We have the same job; but I make more because I run harder.

Me:  Cheap apartment, 14 year old paid for vehicle.  I saved in cash more than I paid in takes last year.  Top 15% income.

Him:  House, RV, boat,  ATV, motorcycle, <1 year old truck for him, brand new truck for wife.  Flat screens in every room of the house.  Multiple computers.  New fancy ass washer and dryer. Etc. Etc.

He's paycheck to paycheck.  He couldn't buy shoes the other week.

Get this:  Last year his Dodge needed engine work.  He couldn't afford it.  So he financed a new truck.

He's had at least 15 yehicles in the time I've worked with him.

He's broke.

But he's at Down South Off-Road with you.

-p.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Sure tons of people are in debt. But tons of people actually make enough to afford the toys they want.

Maybe they don't need a huge house and just put money towards their hobbies or just make more money than they have bills to pay.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:52:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's no doubt.  Realistically, there is a 1995 SeaDoo ski for sale in town for $1300 I could buy, but when mine is done, I think I may have less in it and all the hoses, seals, and gaskets will be brand new.  So I'll know exactly what is in it.  Plus, I'll have learned a thing or two about how it works so I can fix it myself.  Which leads to even less debt because I won't need to pay someone to do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#34]
I don't see where the RZR is worth what they ask for them.  I'd rather have a killer K5 blazer or an expedition type vehicle to explore out west with.    

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur and thanks for the tip.  I'm going into the collection business.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is life in America on a macro level. Nearly everyone is in major debt and lives a lifestyle many, many steps higher than they should.

You would be 99.99999% accurate to say that most are dead broke. The guys you see with the BMW xxx, fancy suite and blah, blah watch are broke as fuck as well.

Most people that have real money have nothing g to prove!
View Quote

This, when the downturn in the economy hit in 2008, I was turning off utilities right and left  to people that have everything to include 150 grand worth of rides in the driveway of their 300K house, they couldn't even pay a couple hundred dollar monthly utility bill.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have a a 40k truck but owe a couple grand on it. Other than that i owe on my house but thats it.
View Quote

I'd bet a finger he has no where near 1m of assets at 25 unless he inherited it.  My dad passed away over 8 years ago. I inherited a lot of money. I took 10k out for myself to spend on whatever. The rest was invested in property and retirement accounts. There's not a day goes by that I don't want him back. I miss his big hugs and always telling me he loves me.

With that said 1m in assets is a out of touch for 99% of us. Especially a 25 year old. Not saying your lying, but you might be off a bit.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#38]
I collect heavy equipment. Antique and newer. Also have a bunch of property.

Everyone has their own hobbies. Mine just can be used of my main job takes a shit. Instead of a new truck or jeep I have enough heavy equipment to make contractors jealous. And a lot of property.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#39]
How many here have multipul Knights guns/LWRC guns/Cans/handguns/NFA toys, live in a shit hole mess and drive a shit box? In debt up to their neck beard. I bet at least 50%.

Why worry about what other people have, buy or finance? You sound like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:11:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Eye watering amounts of debt.

Financed $50k trucks, and financed $20k+ UTVs (toys). The redneck status symbols.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How many here have multipul Knights guns/LWRC guns/Cans/handguns/NFA toys, live in a shit hole mess and drive a shit box? In debt up to their neck beard. I bet at least 50%.

Why worry about what other people have, buy or finance? You sound like a bunch of self-righteous assholes.
View Quote

The OP posted up we responded. If I had to guess I don't think the # is 50%. Probably closer to 15-20%.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

My 26 year old ex has $74mil of family money.  Why I left her move to CO I'll never know.  

Also, real men ride off-road on 2 wheels.
View Quote
Keeping her would have been a wise investment. You have chosen poorly.

I agree that dirt bikes are much more fun than a $20k UTV.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm 35 own a lot of nice upper end guns, two newer vehicles that are paid off, and a very nice house with a low payment because I worked my ass off and saved a ton to pay on it before building. I owe for nothing besides my mortgage and the payment is less than most pay for rent. I don't think anyone here is worrying and some of us just get a laugh on making fun of the financially stupid and have seen over and over what usually happens. Did this answer your question?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Most are 1-2 paychecks away from living in a cardboard box.
View Quote

Hell, most are 1-2 unpaid days off from not being able to make all their payments on their shit.

Going out to the local desert on a busy weekend is an experience in excessive financing and/or "who the fuck has this kind of money".

$250,000 motorhome, $100,000 prerunner or sand car, $30,000 enclosed trailer, $15,000 UTV for the wife to buzz around in, couple of $5,000 bikes for the kids (and all the associated gear). Add in fuel, food, repairs, etc ($500-$700+) for a weekend if you don't break anything.

I have a $5,000 4x4 truck and tent camp when I go out there. I haz a poor (and very little debt).

ETA: I will say it looks like fun but IMO it doesn't balance out the amount of stress of having to pay the note on all that stuff every month.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I plan on driving my 2006 Rav4 into the ground.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#46]
We could afford it but it's like the stupid money thrown into a boat or motorhome.  Have to use it a lot to make any economc sense, otherwise rent.  

If you find one 25-50% of blue book maybe buy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This I'd say. Any "business owner" I've met that worked a full time job somewhere else was in serious financial trouble.

If it was all paid off and the business made a lot of money, why would he be working a full time job instead of taking it easy or focusing on his successful business?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

My place and truck are quite nice, and I became debt free earlier this year

Makes shooting my Knights rifles and custom sigs that much sweeter
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm 35 own a lot of nice upper end guns, two newer vehicles that are paid off, and a very nice house with a low payment because I worked my ass off and saved a ton to pay on it before building. I owe for nothing besides my mortgage and the payment is less than most pay for rent. I don't think anyone here is worrying and some of us just get a laugh on making fun of the financially stupid and have seen over and over what usually happens. Did this answer your question?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We’re on the internets where a guy can be anyone he wants to be. These threads always turn into a group think circle jerk for guy’s too cheap to buy lube. LOL!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top