Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]

aka "profiling".  Mortage lenders ran afoul of using the same technique to deny loans and got sued for "red lining"

That being said, profiling works, who doesn't want 50% less crime?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So who is the "lucky" community?  

East Liberty just pushed out to Point Breeze, Fox Chapel (Don't want to believe me? Go to the new Market District) Wilkinsburg (whatever isn't already bombed out slums), Penn Hills, Plum, & Monroeville.  It just pushes east near mass transit. Look for a busway.  

Roughly following an old plumbing adage, East in Pgh is approximately downhill and don't chew your fingernails.  

This guy gets it.

Yup.  I get to live it.  Leaving the area soon.  Where's Merrell?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The cancer spread ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless they killed the former occupants they didn't reduce crime, they just moved it to another neighborhood.

The cancer spread ...

Which was the whole idea.

Re-normalizing the suburbs to be just as crime-ridden as the inner city, if not more so.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:51:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless they killed the former occupants they didn't reduce crime, they just moved it to another neighborhood.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cleveland didn't notice the uptick.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I’m not talking about subsidized projects or forcing people to move into certain areas.
I’m talking about city planning, i.e. the general rules a city puts up for how the city should be built.
Putting all the low income housing in the same place or mix them up with the middle and high income houses/buildings.
The same amount of buildings will be built anyway; it’s just a matter of where you build them.  
View Quote

Just curious, but how different is the culture/values of low income vs middle and high income people in Sweden?  Is it more or less homogeneous?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yup.  I get to live it. <snip>
View Quote

North Side here.  I'm within staggering distance between Light of Life and Zone 1 station.  I hear you on living it.  
I'll still take the north side over anything east of 16th street.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The big problem with how city planning works today, in all countries, is that we make areas with low value residences OR high value residences.
This means that we get high concentrations of poor people in the same place with little supporting infrastructure and social support etc.
A better way of planning is to ensure that the area have both high and low value residences.
This reduces segregation as many studies show; segregation is one of the corner pillars in organized crime and gang wars.

View Quote

Like someone posted earlier. Keep that crap in one place and don't go there.

After Katrina some less desirables moved into my neighborhood. Went downhill from there.

We moved.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Fights and shootings inside Monroeville Mall so they close it to the youts.  So now the youts are at the Waterfront throwing rocks at cops and running wild.  Same stuff different place.

Quoted:
Just wait until the move them to other areas in the state..

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Fights and shootings inside Monroeville Mall so they close it to the youts.  So now the youts are at the Waterfront throwing rocks at cops and running wild.  Same stuff different place.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just wait until the move them to other areas in the state..

I had not heard about the waterfront issues, but I had heard about the mall shooting.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where did the crime go?
View Quote

It went to Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills, etc...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But you obey the law (I assume)

If you had a sizable portion of the "elites" telling you it was OK to break the law because of your disability, would that change things for you?

Hell, you have a job and no criminal record.  Nothing defective about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I meant "bad" as in defective, not necessarily evil.

I'm saying that as a guy with a childhood brain injury who drives a forklift for a living. I'm one of the defective ones.

But you obey the law (I assume)

If you had a sizable portion of the "elites" telling you it was OK to break the law because of your disability, would that change things for you?

Hell, you have a job and no criminal record.  Nothing defective about that.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just curious, but how different is the culture/values of low income vs middle and high income people in Sweden?  Is it more or less homogeneous?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m not talking about subsidized projects or forcing people to move into certain areas.
I’m talking about city planning, i.e. the general rules a city puts up for how the city should be built.
Putting all the low income housing in the same place or mix them up with the middle and high income houses/buildings.
The same amount of buildings will be built anyway; it’s just a matter of where you build them.  

We don’t have a minimum wage set by the law but instead set by the particular branch and the unions.

It can be as low as 16 000 SEK per month, as a reference a newly graduated IT student can expect 30 000 – 32 000 a month.

Of course not everyone work full time or have a job at all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:57:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Same thing happened when they relocated folks after Katrina.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

After Katrina some less desirables moved into my neighborhood. Went downhill from there.

We moved.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The big problem with how city planning works today, in all countries, is that we make areas with low value residences OR high value residences.
This means that we get high concentrations of poor people in the same place with little supporting infrastructure and social support etc.
A better way of planning is to ensure that the area have both high and low value residences.
This reduces segregation as many studies show; segregation is one of the corner pillars in organized crime and gang wars.

We moved.

Yeah, the US has already created “bad” people and once a person I set on a certain path it’s hard to turn that around.  
I never said that we should forcibly move people or even that a sudden implementation of mixed income housing would fix you problems all at ones.
This is something that should have built into your city planning from the beginning. Maybe I wasn’t clear enough about that.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Same thing happened when they relocated folks after Katrina.

View Quote

Haha, I remember that. Came across some of the displaced Katrina victims while in Atlanta (job related). Apparently, they do not like exterior lighting as they disabled every last one in a motel's rear wing.

Good times...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where did the crime go?

Yup.

Nothing like leaving early to go to work and finding two dead guys in their SUV because you decided to take a shortcut.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They just haven't tasted the rainbow yet. Won't be long and that kumbaya attitude will change...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What are you basing this on?

My own experience supports his claim.  What's your skepticism based on?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even know where to start...

It doesn't work that way here.

My skepticism is based on the fact that when you start low value residences near high value residences, the high value residences' value begins to plummet.  Why would the property owners sit by and watch this happen?

So they sell and get the hell away from the people who tend to live in low value residences.

No one wants to live near a criminal element.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't even know where to start...

It doesn't work that way here.

My guess: reality.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We don’t have a minimum wage set by the law but instead set by the particular branch and the unions.

It can be as low as 16 000 SEK per month, as a reference a newly graduated IT student can expect 30 000 – 32 000 a month.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you misunderstood what I was asking.  I was not asking about how much money, I was wondering about if the different groups had them same societal norms etc..
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
OP, pittsburgh, and post gazette are all racist
View Quote

Don't forget Numeritics, Victoria Hill, and Carnegie Mellon University.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There were people in my precinct who paid $1 mil for brownstones that were 1 block from the projects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would anyone spend, say, $300,000 on a nice house that's located next door to a sec. 8 project?

There were people in my precinct who paid $1 mil for brownstones that were 1 block from the projects.

That is called running "them" (insert whomever the local them is) with stacks of $100 bills. Either the neighborhood becomes too expensive to live in or the policing gets exponentially greater because of the money involved.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are there any crime stats for the areas in TX where Katrina "victims" were moved or did they all go back to NO?

The funniest thing during that whole relocation debacle was when they tried sending "victims" to WV and they refused.
View Quote

Sometimes having a bad reputation is a great thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:36:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Re-normalizing the suburbs to be just as crime-ridden as the inner city, if not more so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cancer spread ...

The problem is this aint the 70s and the sheep are armed and unwilling in more than a few case to be sheared.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My skepticism is based on the fact that when you start low value residences near high value residences, the high value residences' value begins to plummet.  Why would the property owners sit by and watch this happen?

So they sell and get the hell away from the people who tend to live in low value residences.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nailed it.

In some of the areas where the criminal element began bumping into the burb those housing prices fell.  When the folks from the high crime area use the street as it transitions from Avenue to Road to dump off their ODing or wounded comrades people tend to get frustrated.

Many left.  Those houses did not sell for much more than what the owners paid for them ten, twenty, even thirty years before.  Now the houses are bought up by those who WANT to escape the hood life while others are bought out by flippers and landlords who are happy to get a little section 8 money.

Demographic change...and as those new folks move in some bring their old problems which can easily be transferred up and down road to avenue and vice versa.  This sends more residents of the burb moving away...and the demographics and crime inch forward.  In Pittsburgh's case most of it moved east and south following along main routes of travel.  The burb loses its higher tax paying residents as those who remain are lower income or stuck because of relatives (me).  A responsible minority middle class element is overshadowed by the minority element that tends to live in their old ways.  Schools get failing grades discouraging responsible families from moving in.  More people flee.  The elderly remain who don't pay as much taxes and are more vulnerable to crime.  The demographics change again shifting further and further out.  Housing prices stagnate or deflate; foreclosures common..  Businesses buy up the houses and turn them into section 8 rental properties...rinse, repeat, etc.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The cancer spread ...

It all works best when it is spread around........Hell the cities can't afford to pay for them anymore...........serves the suburbanites for fleeing. It's payback time.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That's what happened in good ole Chiraq. Daley torn down chunks of the projects and we call it "sharing the wealth" the sh*t moved its way down the nearest "free" expressways into the burbs- good luck to the surrounding burbs over there
View Quote

Yeah, when you remove crime from the city and send it to the suburbs, then crime in the city will go down.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We have this in Sweden in many places and the system is completely market driven.
From my experience it works really well. I live in a quite sizable house, 10 minutes by foot from the city center,
from the early years of the 20th century and a decent garden but there are several apartment buildings in my block.
We have very little crime, in fact the last time I heard a siren was last year.

Also, you Americans seem to be very confused about the political spectrum.
Just because you aren’t conservative you are not a communist.
Communists are seen as just as strange here in Sweden as in the US, they are extreme.
Even many people in the most leftist party in Sweden tend to look down at them.  

View Quote

a socialist is nothing more than a communist who lacks the courage of his convictions.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We have this in Sweden in many places and the system is completely market driven.
From my experience it works really well. I live in a quite sizable house, 10 minutes by foot from the city center,
from the early years of the 20th century and a decent garden but there are several apartment buildings in my block.
We have very little crime, in fact the last time I heard a siren was last year.

Also, you Americans seem to be very confused about the political spectrum.
Just because you aren’t conservative you are not a communist.
Communists are seen as just as strange here in Sweden as in the US, they are extreme.
Even many people in the most leftist party in Sweden tend to look down at them.  

View Quote

The Homogenous nature of your society contributes greatly to this working, probably to a greater degree than you realize.
You really can't compare apples to oranges. There are large segments of our society that have been raised in an environment so distinct from anything you or I can ever understand.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

One of the former police chiefs here used to say, "You can't stop crime, only move it around."
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That's what happened in good ole Chiraq. Daley torn down chunks of the projects and we call it "sharing the wealth" the sh*t moved its way down the nearest "free" expressways into the burbs- good luck to the surrounding burbs over there
View Quote

This, the southern suburbs used to be very nice when I was a kid.
Now the same neighborhood I grew up in is nearing "Wild Hundreds" levels of stupidity.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top