Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:03 AM EDT
I am in the market for a daily driver (12m each way), I have a 3800lbs trailer to tow, I have two elementary age kids and a wife unit. I hunt two weeks a year with mild to moderate off road needs..    Thinking the v6 4x4 Crew might work.  I looked at the Tacoma sr5 and it was a pretty uncomfortable ride and seemed a bit less refined...  Trying to stay sub 30k OTD, I am not sure what to get.  A full size Silverado with roughly the same options is 7-8k more...    Any insight?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
no.

buy a Dodge Ram
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The Tacoma is an old design, I drive a 2012.  Wait for the new Tacoma?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Guy at work bought a new GMC Canyon, it really is a beautiful truck and makes the Tacoma look like a cheap POS in comparison. But the sticker on it was $37K and Idon't think it even had all the bells and whistles. Just seems awfully high for a "small" pickup.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the Colorado any bigger inside than a Tacoma?  With 2 kids and a wife, trucks smaller than the 1/2 tons will start to feel a bit cramped.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I would buy a really nice used Silverado or similar with low miles for less money, but to each their own...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Amiri King has a good review of the Coloraydo on YouTube that is worth a watch. I think it will help you decide??
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I would never buy the first year of a new design.
Let somebody else work out the bugs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I say yes
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Dodge Ram is an option, but leaning towards the Chevys...   I have an offer from a dealer now   2015 silverado CC 4x4 v6 LT... New 32000....  The lil Colorado is not really that little, about six inches more narrow than full size...  Also, it seems that a under three year old Silverado is only about 3500 cheaper
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:37:44 AM EDT
[#10]
This will get flak, but can you look at yourself in the mirror at night when you brush your teeth knowing you bought a GM product? I'm actively searching for a Tacoma, which would be my first Japanese 4 wheel vehicle.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1733155_Trade_in__09_Mustang_GT_for_a__15_Tacoma__am_I_an_idiot_.html

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Under 30k will be hard to do for a nice one now because they are new. I like them too. I maybe looking at a 4dr 4x4 canyon when some rebates hit and they sit on the lot for a while
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:48:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Obama would want you to.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:51:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Obama would want you to.

View Quote

This.

FBHO

FGM
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Obama would want you to.

View Quote

I think you mean Bush and Obama.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:59:58 AM EDT
[#15]
The GMC version looks 100x better
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:04:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Priced a F150 recently?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The Tacoma, like most of the Toyota line up, is conservative at best and primitive at worst compared to all of their competitors.
Reliability isn't different anymore either.

The Chevy Colorado is much nicer all around compared to the Tacoma.
Full size pickups are priced into the stupid-sphere these days.

This:
Quoted:
The GMC version looks 100x better
View Quote

The GMC also has a few daily driver great to have / luxury items standard that must be bundled ( $$$$) on the Colorado
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Look for a two to three-year-old certified used vehicle if you can find one.

Most dealers offer extended warranty and free oil changes and a few other perks.

For those who scream Obama Motors, somebody else paid that tariff for you. Buy with a clear conscience.

BTW: if you have the wife and kids in a Colorado for any amount of time it will get very tight, very quick. I think you will be better served with an extended cab or four-door vehicle instead of a mid-sized truck.  Car seats are going to be a problem in a Colorado.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:28:10 AM EDT
[#19]
the F-150s put the Government motors trucks to shame. then again ARFCOM's truck is the Taco.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Most dealers offer extended warranty and free oil changes and a few other perks.

For those who scream Obama Motors, somebody else paid that tariff for you. Buy with a clear conscience.

BTW: if you have the wife and kids in a Colorado for any amount of time it will get very tight, very quick. I think you will be better served with an extended cab or four-door vehicle instead of a mid-sized truck.  Car seats are going to be a problem in a Colorado.

View Quote

I had a 2008 Colorado. Fit me and seven female friends from the bar one night just fine. It was a little tight but I wasn't complaining.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I looked at the Tacoma sr5 and it was a pretty uncomfortable ride and seemed a bit less refined...  Trying to stay sub 30k OTD, I am not sure what to get.  A full size Silverado with roughly the same options is 7-8k more...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Fuck Chevy / Gummint Motors.That is all.

ETA: Not a complete waste of post .357

And FBHO!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd be down for that four banger Duramax when they come out.  
Short of that,  I'm not really into the small pickup line.  If you want a pickup, get a big bed.  If you don't need the bigger bed,  get an SUV because you obviously didn't need the bed for anything.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you an electrical engineer? If no, pass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Good info on the Canyon, seems to offer a slightly better value...  I have not driven the Frontier..  Those of you guys that have not driven or sat in the 2015 Canyon/Colorado, I can say it is very roomy inside. I can sit in the back (6ft 2"  210) with 3-4 inches knees to seat.  I will say, it is shocking how expensive late model used trucks are these days. The old adage of losing 20% as soon as you drive off the lot is not true here.

As far as all the politics go...  GM vs Toyota vs Dodge vs?  -no f@cks given...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am in the market for a daily driver (12m each way), I have a 3800lbs trailer to tow, I have two elementary age kids and a wife unit. I hunt two weeks a year with mild to moderate off road needs..    Thinking the v6 4x4 Crew might work.  I looked at the Tacoma sr5 and it was a pretty uncomfortable ride and seemed a bit less refined...  Trying to stay sub 30k OTD, I am not sure what to get.  A full size Silverado with roughly the same options is 7-8k more...    Any insight?
View Quote

you DRIVE 12 meters. DUDE!

how often do you tow? refined ride in a TRUCK

buy a USED surburban for cash. or keep what you have.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would never buy the first year of a new design.
Let somebody else work out the bugs.
View Quote

It's been out as a Holden offering for a few years now.  This is its first year in the US.

I'd love to own one but I ain't paying thirty fucking thousand for one.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I looked at the Tacoma sr5 and it was a pretty uncomfortable ride and seemed a bit less refined...  Trying to stay sub 30k OTD, I am not sure what to get.  A full size Silverado with roughly the same options is 7-8k more...

http://www.skibane.com/Frontier_Crew_Cab_2015.jpg

I'm more than happy with mine, and my Xterra.  I got a 2011 Frontier Pro-4X with less than 8,000 on the clock for $24,900.  I'm sure the none-Pro-4X model would come in under $30k new.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:41:11 PM EDT
[#30]
A new Tacoma comes out this summer. You may want to check those out.  The new 3.5L V6 is supposed to be pretty fuel efficient while producing more HP than the current 4.0L.  I'm seriously considering a new TRD Off Road double cab Tacoma, but I need to see/drive one first.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#31]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.skibane.com/Frontier_Crew_Cab_2015.jpg

The antique Frontier with it's homely fenders has already been replaced in most of the world and the replacement is due here next year.

The replacement, like Toyota, has a conservative interior with classic console controls.
Chevy and Dodge are miles ahead in this important area.
The Mopar uConnect is the best out there now on vehicles without a Mercedes logo.

Nissan has always gotten the stick shift version of it's vehicles right. Foreign reviews indicate this one won't end that streak.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:06:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I always thought a four cylinder diesel truck would be awesome. Good torque for size, excellent fuel economy, it would be perfect for a light duty truck/long range camping vehicle.

If I had the money I'd be first in line for the diesel Colorado.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dodge Ram is an option, but leaning towards the Chevys...   I have an offer from a dealer now   2015 silverado CC 4x4 v6 LT... New 32000....  The lil Colorado is not really that little, about six inches more narrow than full size...  Also, it seems that a under three year old Silverado is only about 3500 cheaper
View Quote

I was a chevy guy thru and thru until I bought my 2009 Ram Mega Cab 4x4.

its got a better warranty and no on star.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Specs look good, but it is still a Chevy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had a 2008 Colorado. Fit me and seven female friends from the bar one night just fine. It was a little tight but I wasn't complaining.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

so you are a lesbian?
its ok. we have lesbians here.

glad to see the Colorado taking over where the Ford Ranger left off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Specs look good, but it is still a Chevy.
View Quote

I currently own and drive a 2004 Chevy Colorado ZQ8 Crew Cab with 175K+ miles.  It has served me well for the last 10 years and hopefully will for a couple more.  My son has a 2006 Extended Cab version with ~190K miles.  My son wants my crew cab when I am ready to trade.

Luckily I will not be in the market for a new truck for a couple of years.  By then the new Colorado will have been out for a while.  Additionally, the new Taco & Nissan will be available.  I will look at all 3 but am leaning towards the Colorado.  I only put about 5K/year on my truck now so this next truck could well be my last.  I do not want or need a full sized truck.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was until the bailout and obungo sticking his nose into GM.  FBHO and FGM.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#38]
How can you be looking at mid sized tucks and not even look at the Frontier? It's a 10 year proven design that will get you 200,000 miles easily at a great value.

If you buy a new Colorado, you better get the longest extended warranty they have and document the heck out of maintenance. You will likely need it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#39]
No thanks. I looked at the GM/Nissan offerings and bought a 2015 Tacoma.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Neighbor just got one, looks to be a nice truck. Personally I preferred the Ford Ranger over the Taco's. I looked at both and could never justify paying 5K more for less vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Buy what makes you happy and ignore the Obama Motors bullshit.  Look up the history of Japanese, and for that matter any countries auto industry for the historical mass support every .gov has given.  Toyota might as well be Ikeda Motors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top