Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/29/2015 12:06:16 AM EDT
Stoked to get back out to shoot some more prairie dogs, 110gr Hornady VMax .308 leaving the barrel at 3300fps, turns them inside out, quick no suffering for the little vermin.

Gun

Ammo

Target

Carnage, graphic so don't click if you get all fuzzy about the cute little critters.
Click To View Spoiler

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I love prairie dog shooting! It's so fun. But you're slingin' a lot of money downrange with .308's.  I shot 22-250s and .223's and could barely afford that we burned so much ammo...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:09:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love prairie dog shooting! It's so fun. But you're slingin' a lot of money downrange with .308's.  I shot 22-250s and .223's and could barely afford that we burned so much ammo...
View Quote

I load them myself so it's not to bad, don't want to spend the money on a 22-250, scope, brass, dies etc.

We usually go with 5 to 6 guys, it's just 2 of us this time, so I will probably burn more ammo than years past, I typically take 500 to 700 rounds and only burn thru 350 to 400 over the course of 3 days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:15:20 AM EDT
[#4]
This was the longest flight time from that first trip, two guys are at the launch, single is at the landing.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Target rich environment.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Hunting BLM?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:20:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I would not go walking into the midst of a prairie dog colony--they carry plague, don't you know?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hunting BLM?
View Quote

Mostly private land, have a buddy that lives out there and his cousin owns 5000 acres.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yup, prairie dog shooting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!  I go to South Dakota twice a year and have a blast.  Shoot whatever floats your boat but, an AR set up for shooting prairie dogs is the way to go for us.  If you get there at the right time in May, you need an AR to keep up with all the targets and with 80% hit rate it gets real interesting.

Good hunting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would not go walking into the midst of a prairie dog colony--they carry plague, don't you know?
View Quote

Meh, you gotta die of something.

Plus they make drugs to cure that nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Gillette
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#13]
.308 is the only cartridge I load myself (on a buddy's equipment, thankfully). I really like that pic of your loaded rounds in the cases. Never knew folks used .308 for Pdogs!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gillette
View Quote

What?  Don't like wind?     You're in SD.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:43:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gillette
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:02:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gillette

+1

It's been 2 years since I have been there, issues with the town? I saw online it's a bad Meth place now?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:05:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Nothing wrong with it.    Just boring, like any other small town.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:07:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Isn't it windy enough that when they poke their head up they just blow away?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#20]
That is a beautiful rifle OP.
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#21]
If I don't use 1k rounds in 3 days I consider it a boring dog shoot.  Plague went through our spot in SD, haven't been back since 2012
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:26:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That is a beautiful rifle OP.
Nice pics.
View Quote

Thanks, it's a bit heavy for humping thru the field, but it shoots lights out.

5 shot 100 yard target, bipod and rear bag.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If I don't use 1k rounds in 3 days I consider it a boring dog shoot.  Plague went through our spot in SD, haven't been back since 2012
View Quote

Damn, that must of been one hell of a town to sustain you killing 1000 in 3 days, or do you miss a lot?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Damn, that must of been one hell of a town to sustain you killing 1000 in 3 days, or do you miss a lot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I miss a few at long distances.  223 at 300+ can get tough for me if there's wind.  They move us around every day and try not to shoot a town more than once a week.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:42:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.  Last year rolled up on a dog town at 10am and fired 537 shots between then and 3pm.  My buddy that was with me did about the same.  These were all high percentage shots with many many doubles and triples with a smattering of quadruples thrown in.  A dog town in May with the young ones out and a town that hasn't been shoot up is something you need to experience to believe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice pics, OP.
I've always wanted to go out west for a prairie dog shoot, but I have no idea how to go about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:56:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nice pics, OP.
I've always wanted to go out west for a prairie dog shoot, but I have no idea how to go about it.
View Quote

First time you go, you might want to considered a guide, get the lay of the land and then find places to hunt on your own after that.  Guides are expensive and can be hit or miss on quality.  YMMV
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:57:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Gillette
View Quote
Oh come, now...  I got drunk enough to puke there in the 80's

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:00:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/mkiseeitj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/812/iseeit.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was the longest flight time from that first trip, two guys are at the launch, single is at the landing.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/ScottACousino/GRAPHIC%20Prairie%20Dog%20Hunt%20GRAPHIC/_MG_6868.jpg~original

<a href="https://imageshack.com/i/mkiseeitj" target="_blank">http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/812/iseeit.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:17:10 AM EDT
[#30]
A few picts from our last time out.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Holy shit, my ass would be living in a hole in the ground too if I knew somebody was trying to blow me to pieces like that.

Damn that looks like fun.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:34:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Next time I'd stay in Wright. Hell of a nice hotel there with a pretty good steakhouse attached. And it's not Gillette.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Truly, this is my favorite time of the year. We have ground squirrels around here, they are about half the size of prairie dogs, so they come apart pretty well when you connect

For calibers mainly we shoot a lot of .17 HMR. As far as center fire it's a mix of .22-250, .204 Ruger, .223, .20 VarTarg, 5.45x39 (if you are nvgeologist ) and the random pistol out of boredom. This year I just got this CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet, so that excites me greatly.

I'm taking it out tomorrow to zero it, so we will see how it goes.

Usually in 4-5 days between all of us we shoot 3,000-4,000 of the little bastards. Hell, if you are on your game you rotate rifles so that you can keep up your rate of fire. Last year it was rotating between 15 rounds .22-250, then 50 rounds .17 HMR, followed by as much 10/22 action as it took until the barrels of the others were only warm to the touch. At that point you reload and fo again.

This year I have a 24.3 megapixel camera that shoots 11 frames per second, along with HD video capability, Vortex Razor HD spotting scope with an adapter to mount my camera, and a phone scope, for slow motion video. Should be a good year for footage

Here are some pictures from past years.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#34]
pth.. i have a 6mm-284 that will do teh job better..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:58:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Next time I'd stay in Wright. Hell of a nice hotel there with a pretty good steakhouse attached. And it's not Gillette.
View Quote

Just searched 3 different sights, expedia, hotels.com and travelocity and they list no hotels in Wright? You have a  link or name of the hotel?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

That would definitely send them into low earth orbit, with quite the gusto. Only downside is barrel heat.

.223 on an AR we usually go either a full 20-30 round mag before letting it cool. The .22-250 you are pushing it at 15, 10 is more reasonable. .204 Ruger you get about 30, .17 HMR you can push about 70-100 through unless you're straight up cyclic on it. Last year was the first year for the .20 VarTarg, and we were getting about 40-45 rounds through it before you have to let it cool, so that was pretty awesome. I'm hoping for the same with the .17 Hornet (it should since it's half the powder).

We have shot them with damn near everything, up to and including .50 BMG and .338 Lapua. I have to say the smaller calibers are more fun. Big bore stuff like that you basically just break them in two, and obscure the mound with a dust cloud.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:04:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Just searched 3 different sights, expedia, hotels.com and travelocity and they list no hotels in Wright? You have a  link or name of the hotel?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.wrighthotel.com/

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That would definitely send them into low earth orbit, with quite the gusto. Only downside is barrel heat.

.223 on an AR we usually go either a full 20-30 round mag before letting it cool. The .22-250 you are pushing it at 15, 10 is more reasonable. .204 Ruger you get about 30, .17 HMR you can push about 70-100 through unless you're straight up cyclic on it. Last year was the first year for the .20 VarTarg, and we were getting about 40-45 rounds through it before you have to let it cool, so that was pretty awesome. I'm hoping for the same with the .17 Hornet (it should since it's half the powder).

We have shot them with damn near everything, up to and including .50 BMG and .338 Lapua. I have to say the smaller calibers are more fun. Big bore stuff like that you basically just break them in two, and obscure the mound with a dust cloud.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh ya its like a laser. running a full bull barrel, so heavy and bulky as all get out. but watching impacts in the scope is golden..
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#39]
do you leave the vermin where they lay to feed the buzzards or do you have to go collect them all?

i've never been. looks like a fun day of reactive targets if you leave em where they fall.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#40]
 I am jealous Op! Have not been out p-dog shooting in a few years, great times when we went. That's a sweet stick and good luck.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:10:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
do you leave the vermin where they lay to feed the buzzards or do you have to go collect them all?

i've never been. looks like a fun day of reactive targets if you leave em where they fall.
View Quote

PDs are cannibalistic, you shoot a few one day, their buddies will feast and there won't be much evidence the next day.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Anyone have a recommendation for a good guide? I'd love to set up a trip to do this but don't know the first thing about it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:03:18 AM EDT
[#43]
Looks fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

PDs are cannibalistic, you shoot a few one day, their buddies will feast and there won't be much evidence the next day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:39:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Douglas has a couple new hotels as well if you're further south.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:41 AM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.wrighthotel.com/

The Wright Hotel books up fast with work crews from the mines. The Steak House used to be good (but a little pricy) however, the last couple times I stayed there I wasn't impressed. Also there isn't crap in Wright besides the Hotel restaurant, a diner, Subway and the truck stop. Much more options in Gillette.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Prairie dog shooting is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  We go to North Dakota every year for a week or so.  We shoot from the front porch of our hotel.

Most of the time I use a 6mm BR Norma in 8 twist but I also take a .223, 243AI and a 6mm BR Remington 12 twist.  Last year I picked up a .222 Remington Contender.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Pics coming
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#49]
A few pics from our hunting trip in west Kansas, several years back.  He had 15,000 acres of PDogs.   We used bushmaster ARs and either 22mag or 17hmr for the short range dogs

Not just dogs out there so watch your step...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm finalizing plans as well.  Last summer was a recon mission to confirm the quality of shooting.  This summer the week before and after July 4th will be carnage north of Billings.

With the help of a 338 Lapua, the goal is a kill at or farther than 1760yds.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top