Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2015 11:41:41 PM EDT
For accuracy in some fiction I'm writing...

The military version of the humvee... is it similar to the civilian version H-1 in off road systems...i.e., "Four-wheel drive is standard and features TorqTrac 4 technology. It automatically reduces tire spin on severe terrain or slippery surfaces by applying the brake to the spinning wheel. This allows the differential to redistribute torque to those wheels with traction. As if that weren't enough, H1 owners may opt for the Off-Road Adventure Package. This package is the ultimate in off-road equipment, and includes a front and rear Eaton ELocker locking differential. Activated instantaneously at the push of a button, the front and rear differentials can be locked for optimum slow-speed capability in climbing over large rocks or up long, steep grades."

...or does it have a different all wheel drive system?

ETA-
Quoted:
Reminds me of most zombie/tac fiction I've read: paragraphs describing the benefits of vibrams soles and 5.11 socks.
View Quote

lol...sorry, but no....the quote in red above is a copy/paste from some 4x4 site for information only, not my writing. I've been suckered into that techno-babble trap in books that I've read before, and I'm doing my best to avoid it in my writing.  What I really need to know is if all 4 wheels turn under normal slippery conditions such as mud, or if there is a differential lock that must be engaged for all 4 wheels to turn under power?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer, but as a reader, the sort of details that would be provided by knowing that are the sort that belong in a technical manual and not in an enjoyable fiction read.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:43:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The front and rear differentials are Torsen type, and the center differential is a regular, lockable type. Torque-biasing differentials allows forward movement as long as at least one wheel has traction. It runs on specialized 37 x 12.5 radial tires with low-profile runflat devices.

The body is constructed from lightweight and rust-resistant aluminum, instead of conventional steel. It has all-wheel drive with an independent suspension and helical gear-reduction hubs similar to portal axles which attach towards the top rather than center of each wheel to allow the drivetrain shafts to be raised for a full 16 in (410 mm) of ground clearance.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:44:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Umm wait to start ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Reminds me of most zombie/tac fiction I've read: paragraphs describing the benefits of vibrams soles and 5.11 socks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The only tech is the transfer case..and I sat in one today. Portal axles, 4wd, high ground clearance....

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Chock block and drip pan!
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
not that good off-road, too wide for lots of trails.  Even though its large, there isn't that much usable space.  

My friend had a hummer for about a year and then sold it.  Opting for a pick-up for his off-roading adventures.

ETA: the TM's for them would be on SteelSoldiers.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Been awhile, but the only thing I really remember is that the thing had shitty seats, the doors didn't seal, and it stank.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. Stuff like that is stuck somewhere in the middle ground between advertisement, technical discourse, and everything you have ever read on an internet forum.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the above. Nothing super special about it. Doesn't off road very well, All wheel drive/4wheel drive. Very wide. Very uncomfortable and very little usable space. Very underpowered. Don't stop very well due to the brakes being on the differential instead of on the wheels.

I am fairly certain they don't have any fancy traction control. If they do, I have never seen it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:00:29 AM EDT
[#11]
You missed the part about something either breaking or leaking on a weekly basis
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been awhile, but the only thing I really remember is that the thing had shitty seats, the doors didn't seal, and it stank.
View Quote

And...always stalled out when in backing up, reverse, etc
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't think the military versions had any of that electronic stuff, the 6.2 diesel just made so little power that it was not possible to spin the tires.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#14]
A pound of pepper stolen from the DFAC will eliminate radiator leaks, for awhile anyway.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

It was fun watching the water come over the hood while crossing streams but I could have done without the wet feet.

Oh and what the fuck was that smell?  Every damn hummer had it and you could not wash it out. Combo of crotch gravy stank, funky B.O. and exhaust fumes with a touch of rank diesel. WTF!!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never understood why even brand new from the factory they stank like rotting canvas inside, how is that even possible?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Don't know the technical stuff. But that would be dry for a piece of fiction. Some stuff I remember form the old canvas sided ones I drove in 2008 though 2010ish.

Underpowered as fuck. If I remember the class I had to take to drive em 150ish horsepower.
Spartan as shit interior.

Felt like it was going to shake apart and explode at 45mph and above.

No electronic stuff, the ac/heat controls where these rods you pulled out. They often broke and basically just pulled a wire that moved a lever on side under dash.

Tiny steering wheel. My Miatas steering wheel is jumbo by comparison.

Tiny as shit in general inside. I'm 5'11" and around 155lbs. So I'm pretty scrawny throw a IBA on and the tiny steering wheel almost hit me in the gut and I had a hard time getting the seat belt on.

As another poster said don't forget the oil pan with a rickety chain and chock block.

The ones I drove where manufactured in 85. 8 months after I was born so I don't know if the newer ones or up armoured ones where any better. In my experience it is an extremely underwhelming vehicle from what you expected. If I were to acquire a .mil wheeled vehicle for the appocalypse I would prefer a LMTV. Those where like a caddy by comparison. More room a rifle rack better seats more power ac/heater was more rebust/was operational more often had a winch could fit a bunch of shit in the back etc.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#18]
a rock or something?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:24:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

You had doors?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of the problems were related to the engine or trans. Put a 6bt and Allison in there and watch it go away.

Never had any problems in mine (1123/1151/1152) towing radar arrays and trailers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:41:35 AM EDT
[#21]
if there were not sunflower seeds all over the floor board... its not a real GI one....
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:50:32 AM EDT
[#22]
For those saying the humvee sucked off road, what are you comparing them to? Desert race truck? RZR? A Jeep Wrangler?  

Don't forget it was designed in the early 80's with virtually no changes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:50:46 AM EDT
[#23]
I got stitches in my head due to one..

Fucken senior NCO is like....get on top get on top....

The front and rear differentials are Torsen type, and the center differential is a regular, lockable type. Torque-biasing differentials allows forward movement as long as at least one wheel has traction. It runs on specialized 37 x 12.5 radial tires with low-profile runflat devices.

The body is constructed from lightweight and rust-resistant aluminum, instead of conventional steel. It has all-wheel drive with an independent suspension and helical gear-reduction hubs similar to portal axles which attach towards the top rather than center of each wheel to allow the drivetrain shafts to be raised for a full 16 in (410 mm) of ground clearance.
View Quote

Very true and reminds me that training video I saw.

The upgraded ones are not bad...but damn are they underdog powered.

A/C seems to break down when you need it the most.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:56:24 AM EDT
[#24]
And the glow plugs were burnt out, always, because idiots would leave them on all the time and the motorpool guys gave up trying to fix them.

Starting in winter was kind of a big deal at times.  We may have used ether a time or two, if the WO-something in the motorpool caught us would freak out over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:57:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You had doors?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You had doors?

I always had doors, but the window zippers were usually jacked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:01:34 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Chock block and drip pan!
View Quote
True story: I had a First Sergeant that made his driver chain the chalk block to his (driver's) ankle because he kept driving off and leaving it. Needless to say, the driver made sure that it was in the vehicle with him before moving after that.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#27]
No brake modulation-they're either on or off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:04:07 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nothing in a military HMMWV is activated instantaneously at the push of a button. You have to use three different levers to turn the fucking headlights on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Activated instantaneously at the push of a button, the front and rear differentials can be locked for optimum slow-speed capability in climbing over large rocks or up long, steep grades.

Nothing in a military HMMWV is activated instantaneously at the push of a button. You have to use three different levers to turn the fucking headlights on.
The old ones.  The new model military standard light switch is push button.  Interchangeable with the lever model.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#30]
I own one.

Its a 95 with the mechanical injected NA 6.5 Diesel

As for being uncomfortable...it really isn't. There just isn't a ton of knee room side to side, but Ive driven it 12 hours one way before and got out without wanting to burn it.

As for sucking off road, Ive owned 7 JK and JKU Wranglers, including the Rubicon.  Ive owned every major quad including sports and sport utlity, I own or have owned most of the major dirt bikes, 450R, 450x, KTM 300, KLR 650, DRZ400, etc.

I have owned 2 RzR 2 seaters, both the 50" wide 800, and my current one the 1000XP.

Id say Im qualified to talk about being offroad.  

The thing does fine. It just doesn't articulate or flex at ALL.  Its stiff as a board.  However I have taken this one in some pretty knarly shit and made it out without the winch
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:13:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The old ones.  The new model military standard light switch is push button.  Interchangeable with the lever model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Activated instantaneously at the push of a button, the front and rear differentials can be locked for optimum slow-speed capability in climbing over large rocks or up long, steep grades.

I have still not seen that, though some of ours do have the LED headlights.  

Also, don't forget the battery being dead 50% of the time due to the aforementioned glow plugs and the completely non-intuitive light switch.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

No brake modulation-they're either on or off.
View Quote
No.  The way to lock the Torsen diffs is to press on the brakes fairly hard and then bring the rpms up and keep them steady.  You then essentially use the brake pedal to MODULATE your forward progress by lessening brake pressure.

Once all brake pressure is removed the diffs unlock.  

ETA Yes the diff locking is only on or off.  The above is why it's called brake modulation.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The body is constructed from lightweight and rust-resistant aluminum, instead of conventional steel..
View Quote

Sorry .mil

I always laugh when this comes up

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:37:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I fuckin' hate those vehicles.

I'm a tall dude, With IBA (which forced you to sit straighter, therefore higher) and a helmet on, I couldn't even sit in the TC's seat, always had to sit in the back or gunner. For such a huge vehicle, it's incredible how little space they have.

Also, what's up with the "lip" at the bottom of the door? Why the hell wouldn't they just make that more level with the floorboard? You have to bring your damn knee up to your chest when exiting the vehicle to clear this freakin' 6"  lip the door 'seals' to.

Although. I will say, if you've ever driven a thin skin HMMWV with an up-armored's engine (or at least that's what I was told it was) those things are fuckin' FAST, you can screech the tires and everything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#35]
To the OP, in slippery conditions, typically the driver performs BTM or Brake Throttle Modulation. This is where the driver applys both brake and throttle at the same time, adjusting each until forward motion is again acheived. The light application of brakes stops the slipping tire from spinning wildly and enough throttle keeps all four tires turning.

Its really simple to do and not hard to learn. From what I was told, this works because of the design of the differentials in the Hummer. Always worked for me.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:22:34 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys are spoiled... My career started out with M151 Jeeps... When we got the Humvee's, it was like Christmas. They would go lots of places a jeep could never go, had way more power and you had room to haul lots of shit... For the time and its design, it was great. They were designed to be utility vehicles to replace the jeep... not armored gun trucks like they were forced into later...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top