User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Upstate is a post apocalyptic wonderland, we have it all from collapsing, crime filled mini Detroits where ancient water mains blast water up into the streets and facades of buildings crash to the sidewalk; to the vast empty countryside with abandoned houses filled with raccoons and abandoned farms going wild.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are still Moose in NY, not very many but they are there.  As for elk, KY has been successful in reestablishing an elk herd, no reason why NY can't do the same.

NY has some pretty big unpopulated tracts of forest.

The state is run by city slickers who are engaged in an ethnic cleansing campaign against Upstate. That's why.

Upstate is a post apocalyptic wonderland, we have it all from collapsing, crime filled mini Detroits where ancient water mains blast water up into the streets and facades of buildings crash to the sidewalk; to the vast empty countryside with abandoned houses filled with raccoons and abandoned farms going wild.  

Thats fuckin poetry
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't think that article knows what expatriated means.

Probably meant extirpated
View Quote

No, they meant expatriated.

The elk left the state but New York still makes them pay taxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they even allowed to own a hunting rifle anymore?

Now you see how they can have a season for a non-existant animal with non-existant implements. genius.
The political benefit...

Hunting groups and animal rights groups make campaign contributions too!

To those in NY that will listen.  DO NOT let your DNR reintroduce wolves.  It will only take a very few years for wolves to multiply exponentially.  Once that occurs your Whitetail herd will be decimated within 5 years.

IBM site Somers, NY.  

I have a camp in the Catskills near margaretteville........what are these whitetail herds that you speak of?

Westchester cnty used to be crawling with deer.

Don't know about now; I left almost 10 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think that article knows what expatriated means.

Probably meant extirpated

I rost.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a camp in the Catskills near margaretteville........what are these whitetail herds that you speak of?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have one in the catskills too.  The deer are in the NYC though.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7537391/new-york-city-deer-problem

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Elk, I dont know.

Moose, 100%.  Last year they even put a page in the DEC rules stating moose are protected in NYS (along with feral pigs)

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/74663.html

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
They have to protect the feral pigs, too hard to distinguish them from our elected officials.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are still Moose in NY, not very many but they are there.  As for elk, KY has been successful in reestablishing an elk herd, no reason why NY can't do the same.

The state is run by city slickers who are engaged in an ethnic cleansing campaign against Upstate. That's why.

Hell it looked like that in the 80s when I passed through.

Won't look any better either as NYC has co-opted most of the state to keep them in clean water.

......In before some up-stater posts scenic pics taken in some park.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Won't look any better either as NYC has co-opted most of the state to keep them in clean water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't have to go to some park for scenery... Well unless you consider the fact that about 1/4 of upstate is parkland
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:28:06 AM EDT
[#11]
If you allow them to be killed and their is a market to kill them - someone will fill the niche if it is profitable.  We proved that in Texas with high fences and exotic game.  Funny part was the one that was endangered in it's home country - we had the largest herds in the world.  Had is operative, they made it illegal for us to sell the hunts, so those herds were slaughtered as keeping them alive was no longer economically viable.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#12]
No.

Quoted:

Never had Moose. Is it really tastier than Elk?.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Never had Moose. Is it really tastier than Elk?.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean like the finger lakes region? Not a park, and makes up a great deal of Upstate NY.

Canandaigua Lake...

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
lol  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol  

In truth, we have some really great land upstate. Unfortunately, like California, we're fucked politically. Our DEC is a joke, wild hogs are "too hard for regular hunters to regulate so the state must do it". Our hunting zones in the downstate an Long Island zones are retarded and not open to rifles in most places (Because sitting in the middle of a 1000 acre protected forest you "might hit someone"). Our parks dept. are wasteful as shit and still won't let bow hunting in the larger parks (talking 150ac here) despite being literally so overrun with deer they die on the side of the road from starvation or end up in the town.

Plus the entire state is nothing but NYC's pocketbook and credit card. We raised taxed to fund $330,000,000 for a universal pre-K program. $300,000,000 went to NYC, majority of the funds come from outside of NYC.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Buddy has a large Apple orchard/farm down the road from me, and has a mountain lion on his trail cam as well as one of the farm hands having seen one in a tree. We are also less than a thirty minute drive from where a mountain lion was run over (and verified wild by the DEC).

And moose barely raise an eyebrow anymore.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Elk is tasty and HUGE.

I would love to have an entire elk, ground up in the freezer.

View Quote

They make tasty steak too

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#17]
How about these in WA?  When I first saw them I thought they looked like "funny looking cattle."  They are NOT farmed elk.  The herd just wandered onto this guys property.

Photo taken with telephone/camera.  Call it, 300 yds away.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Are they even allowed to own a hunting rifle anymore?

Now you see how they can have a season for a non-existant animal with non-existant implements. genius.
The political benefit...

Hunting groups and animal rights groups make campaign contributions too!

To those in NY that will listen.  DO NOT let your DNR reintroduce wolves.  It will only take a very few years for wolves to multiply exponentially.  Once that occurs your Whitetail herd will be decimated within 5 years.

Well the herds are in and around the town of Margaretville, not margaretteville
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buddy has a large Apple orchard/farm down the road from me, and has a mountain lion on his trail cam as well as one of the farm hands having seen one in a tree. We are also less than a thirty minute drive from where a mountain lion was run over (and verified wild by the DEC).

And moose barely raise an eyebrow anymore.
View Quote

Sorry I am calling BS. If your buddy has one on camera get it and post it along with another pic of the exact same area side by side.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There are definitely moose in NY. I have seen them. Unlike cats, there is no mistaking a moose for anything else.
View Quote

Maybe way up there where the people talk like Canada, down here in farm country we just started getting black bears up from the Catskills in decent numbers.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cornell did catch and release sterilization, herd grew at the same rate  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't Ithaca try sterilization or some stupid shit?

That whole program was a massive waste of money, and despite all the bitching and moaning before it was implemented not a word was spoken of the failure in the news.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Maybe way up there where the people talk like Canada, down here in farm country we just started getting black bears up from the Catskills in decent numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are definitely moose in NY. I have seen them. Unlike cats, there is no mistaking a moose for anything else.

South of the 'dacks on the VT border. They shoot somewhere from 200-300 of them in VT every year, and people think they stop at the end of the Green Mountains.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#23]
There was a Moose that frequented Helldiver Pond and that's a ways from Vermont.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Elk is tasty and HUGE.

I would love to have an entire elk, ground up in the freezer.

View Quote

Dude.  I don't know where you are in TN but give it about 10-12 years and you'll have some.. Courtesy of Uncle Sugar!

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There ARE moose in NY state.  It is not some government secret.  Also, There was a fenced in Elk farm near my house a few years ago.  What a thrill to wake up on an early august moring to hear a bull elk bugling down the road.

The elk farm is gone, and some of them had escaped.  I've seen tracks in the snow when I was hunting that were way to big to be a whitetail deer.....
View Quote

Rt 79 near  Mecklinburg?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Didn't Ithaca try sterilization or some stupid shit?

The deer didn't stop breeding, and wait around to be sterilized? How rude!
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a friend who shot and Elk south of Buffalo a few years ago. He said it was a great hunting experience, although somewhat ruined by being guided to its location via frequent cell phone calls from the state police helicopter.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top