BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The gulf coast states would make up the rice production easily, there is thousands of acres in TX alone not being planted that used to be. Cali beef production is in the single digits and turkeys can be raised nearly anywhere. More cotton per acre means more water per acre.  Hmmm  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Cali was the main producer of meat, potatoes, rice, beans, wheat, cotton, corn, you know the staples I would be interested.
California is the main producer of dairy.  
You did notice that I did not mention dairy products.  

California produces about 20 percent of the US rice crop,
is seventh in bean production,
fourth in beef production,
seventh in turkey production,
is fifth in cotton production and produces twice as much cotton per acre than other regions,
as well as incidental crops in the other areas.
The gulf coast states would make up the rice production easily, there is thousands of acres in TX alone not being planted that used to be. Cali beef production is in the single digits and turkeys can be raised nearly anywhere. More cotton per acre means more water per acre.  Hmmm  

But mah strawberries!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:45:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I find it very sad that all you ignorant fucking haters are hoping and or don’t give a shit if the farmers in this state go under.
The countys they live - work - and vote in are the most red county’s in the state ... so you’re all hoping you’re fellow conservatives take a fucking .... thats real nice of you
View Quote

Well I don't feel that way at all. I agree that the best parts of California will be the ones affected most by this.

However, you've got to admit that when those liberal coastal cities in California (huge voting blocs) see that agriculture is using 77% of the state's water they're highly likely to screw you over without any help needed from the rest of America, correct?

That's pretty much the recent history of California right there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:49:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But mah strawberries!!!!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

is fifth in cotton production and produces twice as much cotton per acre than other regions,

But mah strawberries!!!!

Now replacing the almond and grape production could be a problem...

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes, very interesting.

Now what?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, very interesting.

Now what?

Sue, on the grounds that the "white" snow abandoned something and is responsible for someones problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But mah strawberries!!!!

PEAK BOX WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#7]
The worst quality produce in the US is all grown in California.

I can pass on white strawberries and watery cantaloupe.

In for OP revealing himself as a bleeding heart liberal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The worst quality produce in the US is all grown in California.

I can pass on white strawberries and watery cantaloupe.

In for OP revealing himself as a bleeding heart liberal.
View Quote

Uuuhh....spend a little time in FL.  springtime and report back
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Guess there is something to global warming?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Only 10% of CA water goes to personal usage; almost half over three quarters to farmland. A population reduction would make almost no difference.

But this is arfcom, so don't let that stop you from talking out your ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What percentage of californians actually participate in getting that food to the tables?  I would guess less than 20% possibly less than 10%.  Pare down the remaining 80% and the water problem would vanish.  

California as a whole wanting everyone else to care about their crops being threatened by their own stupid over-development of arid regions is a non starter when the problem is clear.

Only 10% of CA water goes to personal usage; almost half over three quarters to farmland. A population reduction would make almost no difference.

But this is arfcom, so don't let that stop you from talking out your ass.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:14 AM EDT
[#11]
There is no need to worry, I have it from the best of sources that Michigan will soon lead the world in agricultural production.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Guess there is something to global warming?
View Quote
Has been for about 4 billion years.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:14:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you talk to the California farmers who supply a good deal of the national food supply, you would find that most of them are pretty scared. But I thought that would have been obvious from the conversation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Six page thread.

Where does it say exactly why it's scary?

It doesn't look scary to me at all. Looks kind of nice, actually.

If you talk to the California farmers who supply a good deal of the national food supply, you would find that most of them are pretty scared. But I thought that would have been obvious from the conversation.

Won't they just move if they can't produce in CA any longer? Sure the prices will go up, but that has to be easier than trying to control the sun. I highly doubt ww3 is going to start because of your strawberries.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Dupe for a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe if we let them die of thirst they'll go back to Mexico...maybe then they can ask the UN for bottled water.
View Quote

Dumbass. This was Mexico. Then the gringos stole it and more gringos came and more gringos came and more gringos came and some more Mexicans came because teh gringos wanted then to mow the lawns they planted in a desert.  If you want to blame anyone for not enough water and too many Mexicans in CA, blame the gringos.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:22:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Im sure the farmers saved money from the good years.

Or do they need some subsidies to tide them through the scary times?

Raise taxes?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And.....too many people in too small an area to support them. Liberals talk about sustainability, but guess what? They don't live it.

A big die off would help. Some will get by, some won't. Luckily I live in a state that provides the 2nd most of it's food from local/in state sources behind AK and we damn sure aren't running out of water in my lifetime.

Already saw where a politican floated the idea of mass relocations paid for by the US government to other parts of the country, want to see an armed proptest go ahead. It's not the farmers that fucked the water supply, too many people in too small an area. Fuck em.

Yeah. That's why 80% of our water goes to agriculture and teh farmers have pumped the ground dry.  I guess it's time to relocate some of our farmers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe if we let them die of thirst they'll go back to Mexico...maybe then they can ask the UN for bottled water.

It may not look like it, but that's about 35 percent of your weekly meals you are looking at in those pictures.

And.....too many people in too small an area to support them. Liberals talk about sustainability, but guess what? They don't live it.

A big die off would help. Some will get by, some won't. Luckily I live in a state that provides the 2nd most of it's food from local/in state sources behind AK and we damn sure aren't running out of water in my lifetime.

Already saw where a politican floated the idea of mass relocations paid for by the US government to other parts of the country, want to see an armed proptest go ahead. It's not the farmers that fucked the water supply, too many people in too small an area. Fuck em.

Yeah. That's why 80% of our water goes to agriculture and teh farmers have pumped the ground dry.  I guess it's time to relocate some of our farmers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We can still raise taxes though right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
OMG, raise taxes to bring back the cocaine piles on the mountain!

Those weren't cocaine piles. That was food.

Of course we'll still raise taxes, and then we'll give a bunch of debt based currency to countries where it will be spent by the ruling class on more jewelry for their wives and on fancy parties and private jets...I mean, how else are we going to get that snow back on that mountain, right?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:31:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

We are going to have to do something better than taxes. But you can continue to cry about them, if you like. Don't let me interrupt a favorite rant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are going to have to do something better than taxes. But you can continue to cry about them, if you like. Don't let me interrupt a favorite rant.

If we elect Barack Obama again, do you think it'll go away?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Good thing local climates never change.  

I keep meaning to go visit those glaciers that created the lakes up north.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well fuck. Farming in an arid semi-desert climate ISN'T a good idea?

Someone update the Book of Good Ideas.

Seems to have been a pretty good idea up to now.

The glaciers are state secrets.  We don't let photos of them go out, but if you ask nicely we might let you look at one for a minute.  But you have to promise to say that they don't exist; otherwise Cali will try to take them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The glaciers are state secrets.  We don't let photos of them go out, but if you ask nicely we might let you look at one for a minute.  But you have to promise to say that they don't exist; otherwise Cali will try to take them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well fuck. Farming in an arid semi-desert climate ISN'T a good idea?

Someone update the Book of Good Ideas.

Seems to have been a pretty good idea up to now.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:04:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Dumbass. This was Mexico. Then the gringos stole it and more gringos came and more gringos came and more gringos came and some more Mexicans came because teh gringos wanted then to mow the lawns they planted in a desert.  If you want to blame anyone for not enough water and too many Mexicans in CA, blame the gringos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:13:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, I have been around a fair amount and this is the first time it has been that big a problem in my lifetime, so this is something new, regardless of the population.

Famine. Yes. The Chinese system of control that works so well. Thanks for your good wishes for everyone's sake.

Hope you don't like strawberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, almonds, or about three dozen other crops. Yeah, I live in a state that produces more food than yours ever did. We thought the same thing at one time, too. No worries, right?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Well, I have been around a fair amount and this is the first time it has been that big a problem in my lifetime, so this is something new, regardless of the population.

Famine. Yes. The Chinese system of control that works so well. Thanks for your good wishes for everyone's sake.

Hope you don't like strawberries, peaches, plums, nectarines, almonds, or about three dozen other crops. Yeah, I live in a state that produces more food than yours ever did. We thought the same thing at one time, too. No worries, right?

Except it's not something new. It's been known for centuries that the area settled in California are drought prone.  I read somewhere that there is evidence that there have been droughts that lasted decades in California.

The only reason your state is chosen to grow the food is because we've been convinced we should be able to get strawberries in January and avocados year round.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck do you want to do about it?  Much of Southern California is essentially a desert in the making that we try to stave off to make the land good for farming.  Nature is doing what it always has.  You guys can adapt or perish.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
hard to farm with no water.  think of the sierra snowpack as the water tower for CA agriculture.  bad snowpack = rough for farmers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doesn't  this open up more land to farm?

hard to farm with no water.  think of the sierra snowpack as the water tower for CA agriculture.  bad snowpack = rough for farmers.
Don't plant in the desert would be a good start

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically Gringo's didn't steal anything.

They beat the ever loving shit out of the Mexicans, who were weak and sucked at holding their land.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#26]

So, no snow on a mountain.  Ok?  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
PEAK BOX WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But mah strawberries!!!!

PEAK BOX WINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!P

Wine grapes won't be so much an issue as the Concord grape farms

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But mah strawberries!!!!

The wine is even better when drought stressed.  Too much rain waters down the wine
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I did some quick googling to see how many desal plants are in Cali. The article said over a dozen really small ones. And then some behemoth that is being built for SD.

Common sense tells me to build ...oh I don't know ...a hundred ? More if necessary.

You live against the ocean and whineass about a lack of water.....

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#30]
NathanL nailed  it  X 87 Gazillion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
"Califonia" is like a magic word that summons forth a gaggle of Arfcom idiots who spew forth poorly informed, badly articulated, ignorant and uneducated garbage and then wait around for a pat on the back from their equally retarded peers.

Its like either clockwork, or magic, or maybe a force of nature, but its real and its predictable.  Fucking dipshits.
View Quote

The word is almost as powerful as "Louis Farrakhan."

I think that part of the problem is that California used to give us such great politicians such as Reagan and Nixon, used to symbolize the best of the promise of post-WWII prosperity, used to be the playground of our imaginations, was a laboratory of participatory democracy (think Proposition 19)  and was so well run during the 1950's to the 1970's.

Now that it has been hijacked by socialists and foreigners, it is a bitter loss.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It may not look like it, but that's about 35 percent of your weekly meals you are looking at in those pictures.

How funny

Strawberrys, nectarines, almonds.....

That's not food.

Food is corn, wheat, beef, hogs.  California isn't even close to being in the top position in any of them.

Oh...oh...grow me some plums so I don't starve to death.

There is nothing that California produces that we need .....unless gays and liberals count.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#33]
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=13274
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:31:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

How funny

That's not food.

Food is corn, wheat, beef, hogs.  California isn't even close to being in the top position in any of them.

There is nothing that California produces that we need .....unless gays and liberals count.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How funny

That's not food.

For the most part California grows the things we want, not need, to eat in the winter. Hell I don't buy most of the California fruit grown all winter.  Prefer the taste of local fruit grown in its proper season.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Sorry to hear about your drought California. You know, we've got plenty of water up here. Maybe we can build a pipeliOH WAIT.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If it did it would probably shift a good deal of the production, and the resulting world power, to other countries. In the meantime, tomatoes might be $20 per pound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

California grows 65 percent of the entire US crop of peaches and more than 80 percent of the US crop of strawberries -  far more than the entire rest of the US combined. No other growing area even comes close. California produces 100 percent of the US supply of about three dozen common crops, including one-third of the world supply of tomatoes. If you go eat a pizza anywhere in the world, there is a good chance it is topped with California tomatoes.

You are under the impression that the Free Market would not adjust?

If it did it would probably shift a good deal of the production, and the resulting world power, to other countries. In the meantime, tomatoes might be $20 per pound.

That would be cool.  We grow lots of them and don't have to water here, God does it for us  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:32:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The current drought started back in 2002. Some good rain/snow years but overall less water retention than required

View All Quotes
Quoted:
The current drought started back in 2002. Some good rain/snow years but overall less water retention than required

Except the chart shows something different doesn't it.  

Snowpack looks relatively level yet they have drained all the lakes.  Maybe you should be asking to see the dam discharge records.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Wow. Phoenix degree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Califonia" is like a magic word that summons forth a gaggle of Arfcom idiots who spew forth poorly informed, badly articulated, ignorant and uneducated garbage and then wait around for a pat on the back from their equally retarded peers.

Its like either clockwork, or magic, or maybe a force of nature, but its real and its predictable.  Fucking dipshits.

Yet Californians demanding the whole country change because they fuck things up Is cool because?

Wow. Phoenix degree?

You are saying that demands for gun control do not come out of California? Laws to control the economy --I mean "combat global warming?"  Huge amounts of leftist memes and laws have their start in California.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:53:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I did some quick googling to see how many desal plants are in Cali. The article said over a dozen really small ones. And then some behemoth that is being built for SD.

Common sense tells me to build ...oh I don't know ...a hundred ? More if necessary.

View Quote

Problem is they also don't have enough electricity to run those plants you propose, because coal and nuclear are both evil.  Electricity can only come from moonbeams and unicorn farts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:37:28 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cant do it ... we gave away all the cash years ago so crappy states like yours could have paved roads and bridges.
BTW
Hows the sales of lake water to china going back there?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Problem is they also don't have enough electricity to run those plants you propose, because coal and nuclear are both evil.  Electricity can only come from moonbeams and unicorn farts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dont forget nuke power.  Easy 2 for 1 deal,  electricity AND desal..  But noooo,  can't have icky nuke power when unicorn farts are much more "green"
Fuck kalistan.  They deserve all the shit they bring on themselves.
Gice a fuck meter pegged at zero
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Only simple minded retards call for the death of their fellow countrymen because they don't agree with their politics.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only simple minded retards call for the death of their fellow countrymen because they don't agree with their politics.  

You mean like our Founding Fathers did? This nation was founded on the deaths of countrymen because of politics.  

And there are a shit ton of fucks in Cali that are not my fellow countrymen.  I was not born in Mexico, nor do I salute the Mexican flag.  

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm sure it's been said already but 5 years of pictures on a planet that is millions of years old don't really tell much of a story.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#44]
So I haven't followed all the strains of this thread or read every page. It already has been mentioned that California uses all that water to attempt to turn desert into agricultural land. It works, some of the time. But the CA agriculture fans should remember that the majority of CA agriculture is artificial, based on water pumping. Easy come, easy go.

ETA - I suspect that Cali is going to get a real scare when the Colorado River water compact gets redone. Oh, it will happen. Lake Mead will go down another 30' or so, and it will happen.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm sure it's been said already but 5 years of pictures on a planet that is millions of years old don't really tell much of a story.
View Quote

Five years is forever, if you're a strawberry.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You mean like our Founding Fathers did? This nation was founded on the deaths of countrymen because of politics.  

And there are a shit ton of fucks in Cali that are not my fellow countrymen.  I was not born in Mexico, nor do I salute the Mexican flag.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, Reconquista like a Ma'Fucker. Are non-Hispanic Whites a minority yet? You folks need to start breeding more. If you need help with that, I for one, will step up and help spread the seed of patriotism.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
The past 2500 years appear to have had recurrent persistent droughts.

Prolonged drought episodes appear to correspond with the timing of ice drift minima (solar maxima) identified from North Atlantic marine sediments, suggesting that changes in solar irradiance may be a possible mechanism influencing century-scale drought in the western Great Basin.

No, no NO.

It is because my truck doesn't blow sunshine and unicorns out the tailpipe.
Moar taxes and regulations are needed, because they will "fix" the cycles and changes that this planet has undergone since, well, since ever.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#48]
First... lol.

Second, OP is trolling or has the stupids:
OP sees a problem, and wants to solve it.
The solution will either make money, break even, or lose money. That's it. Those are the only options.
If the solution would make money, investors would be lining up in droves, if the OP didn't already have that money-making machinery in place.
It's not happening.
If it would break even, then the OP is talking about him (or others) funding the entirety of the solution. What's the estimated cost of space umbrellas? Let us say it's $1T+.
That's not happening.
The ONLY option left is losing money, and I can guaran-Goddamn-tee you that the OP isn't paying it. So where would that money come from?
There are only two sources: voluntary and mandatory. OP ain't getting my money, and I'd imagine that he ain't getting too much of anybody else's money...
So a mandatory money source it is, then. But where, you ask?
The taxpayers, of course.

Lastly, the OP can keep his money grubbing line-of-thought the fuck out of my wallet.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fellow countrymen my ass.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blah blah blah, move to where the food is.

Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top