BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get it now.  I thought this thread was about climate change but in reality it is just a vehicle for the OP to be an asshole to the respondents.
View Quote

I was having a problem figuring it out myself but I think you're on to something

I'm all for people using energy and water wisely and treating our environment with the respect it deserves but, the bottom line is there are far greater powers controlling the weather than what we can ever dream of overcoming (aka the Sun). To do so would be a great exercise in futility

...and we damn sure shouldn't start throwing taxpayers money at the problem trying to do so.  The Carbon Tax would be the worst power to give the .gov and it, unlike the climate, could NEVER be reversed, IMHO
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:28:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I find it very sad that all you ignorant fucking haters are hoping and or don’t give a shit if the farmers in this state go under.
The countys they live - work - and vote in are the most red county’s in the state ... so you’re all hoping you’re fellow conservatives take a fucking .... thats real nice of you
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:29:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I find it very sad that all you ignorant fucking haters are hoping and or don’t give a shit if the farmers in this state go under.

The counts they live - work - and vote in are the most red county’s in the state ... so you’re all hoping you’re fellow conservatives take a fucking .... thats real nice of you
View Quote

We care.

It's just that there isn't anything we can do about it.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You did notice that I did not mention dairy products.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Cali was the main producer of meat, potatoes, rice, beans, wheat, cotton, corn, you know the staples I would be interested.
California is the main producer of dairy.  

California produces about 20 percent of the US rice crop,
is seventh in bean production,
fourth in beef production,
seventh in turkey production,
is fifth in cotton production and produces twice as much cotton per acre than other regions,
as well as incidental crops in the other areas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
He offered to send a bottle of water.  You're the one who wanted cash.  Like the bum on the corner, they never take the sandwich you offer them, but always want cash instead.  
View Quote

And this disturbs you, why? Were you hoping for some of that water?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

We care.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The counts they live - work - and vote in are the most red county’s in the state ... so you’re all hoping you’re fellow conservatives take a fucking .... thats real nice of you

We care.

Read the thread and you'll see the ass hats im talking to
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Since you are So worried.....
Write a letter to someone important in your locale about how
Someone should build a California style Aquaduct type ditch from the annual flooding of the Midwest to the parched West.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prognosis is scary.  

The question is what specifically should we do about it?

Climate change *is* happening.

How much of it is due to human activity is not proven (and can't really be) since we don't have the luxury of a system to test hypotheses on.  We do have models that fit the data but correlation doesn't imply causation.  

So, if we suspect that human activity is causing this, what can we do and what effect might it have?  Reduce CO2 emissions? Reduce carbon emissions?  

How soon might that have an effect?

How much will it impact our economy or the global economy to force reductions in CO2 emissions?

How soon will it make things better?

What if the climate is changing due to reasons other than CO2, or partly due to reasons other than CO2?

Should we be investing in measures to deal with the effects of climate change, or investing in measures to reduce our impact on the climate (which aren't proven, and can't reliably be proven) or some other measures?

There's no question that the lack of snowpack in the Sierras is a problem for much of California.

It's not so clear who or what is causing it.

Well, we know that our own military and intelligence services have identified climate change as a major national security threat. So, in terms of importance to our security, it ranks right up there with a new fighter jet. That seems to be true whatever is causing it. If the place that supplies a huge chunk of our food supply gets damaged, for any reason -- whether it be climate change or the terrorists setting off a dirty bomb -- then we are going to have a major national problem and be a lot less capable of dealing with foreign problems. Less food makes you weaker. It is as simple as that.

Climate change -- from whatever cause you believe it came from -- can cause a whole lot less food.

If you look at national air pollution maps, you will see that this growing area is, itself, a visible proof that man can have serious impacts on the environment. The air is typically dirty brown-gray in the Central Valley, and quite thick. So I am pretty sure man can fuck up the environment to a huge degree, even if climate change has bigger influences.

So the natural conclusions are that: 1) It is a matter of real concern, no matter how you think it is caused. 2) We could do a better job of limiting our own garbage and shit. and 3) We can start seriously looking into it, or just blithely wait for the day when we wake up and we are toast.

Personally, I think that, even if one agrees that man is the primary cause, we are still going to have to think about some form of controlling the weather, just because the masses of people around the world would never get their shit together on a group basis, even if it was to fight off evil space aliens. And I would be really surprised if the US military hasn't done a lot of research on the possibilities already.

Someone should build a California style Aquaduct type ditch from the annual flooding of the Midwest to the parched West.

Well, I guess I don't have to. I did just a little bit of Google on "military research on climate control" and found that they have already been looking into it for more than twenty years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We care.

No, I get it. I saw those posts.

I'm just asking you what you expect us or them to do about it?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:34:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok. We get it. Ghk is madly in love with his shitty commie state and wants us to feel the same way,  because strawberries.
I lived in that state for 20 years..  Fuck that place. That is all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The countys they live - work - and vote in are the most red county’s in the state ... so you’re all hoping you’re fellow conservatives take a fucking .... thats real nice of you
View Quote

The general populous is reactive, they pile on, they know not what they do, til its over.
Kern County and The State of Jefferson is GTG, mostly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Six page thread.

Where does it say exactly why it's scary?

It doesn't look scary to me at all. Looks kind of nice, actually.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:37:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Global warming......it's real.
View Quote

yep, happens every spring
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:43:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Well fuck. Farming in an arid semi-desert climate ISN'T a good idea?

Someone update the Book of Good Ideas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Six page thread.

Where does it say exactly why it's scary?

It doesn't look scary to me at all. Looks kind of nice, actually.

View Quote

If you talk to the California farmers who supply a good deal of the national food supply, you would find that most of them are pretty scared. But I thought that would have been obvious from the conversation.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:45:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you talk to the California farmers who supply a good deal of the national food supply, you would find that most of them are pretty scared. But I thought that would have been obvious from the conversation.
View Quote
Ok, so you guys know that the lands aren't going to be fertile for ever, right?

My property is very fertile, but it was under the ocean just a short time ago.

How do you guys not understand history?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Seems to have been a pretty good idea up to now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I dont even eat california food.   I boycott that shit.
fuckin frisco queens.
View Quote

Wait until the field workers cannot find work here....

Migrant workers, their families and all of the Southern California crap will be picking apples and cherries in a Washington town near you.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Well, I guess I don't have to. I did just a little bit of Google on "military research on climate control" and found that they have already been looking into it for more than twenty years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The prognosis is scary.  

The question is what specifically should we do about it?

Climate change *is* happening.

How much of it is due to human activity is not proven (and can't really be) since we don't have the luxury of a system to test hypotheses on.  We do have models that fit the data but correlation doesn't imply causation.  

So, if we suspect that human activity is causing this, what can we do and what effect might it have?  Reduce CO2 emissions? Reduce carbon emissions?  

How soon might that have an effect?

How much will it impact our economy or the global economy to force reductions in CO2 emissions?

How soon will it make things better?

What if the climate is changing due to reasons other than CO2, or partly due to reasons other than CO2?

Should we be investing in measures to deal with the effects of climate change, or investing in measures to reduce our impact on the climate (which aren't proven, and can't reliably be proven) or some other measures?

There's no question that the lack of snowpack in the Sierras is a problem for much of California.

It's not so clear who or what is causing it.

Well, we know that our own military and intelligence services have identified climate change as a major national security threat. So, in terms of importance to our security, it ranks right up there with a new fighter jet. That seems to be true whatever is causing it. If the place that supplies a huge chunk of our food supply gets damaged, for any reason -- whether it be climate change or the terrorists setting off a dirty bomb -- then we are going to have a major national problem and be a lot less capable of dealing with foreign problems. Less food makes you weaker. It is as simple as that.

Climate change -- from whatever cause you believe it came from -- can cause a whole lot less food.

If you look at national air pollution maps, you will see that this growing area is, itself, a visible proof that man can have serious impacts on the environment. The air is typically dirty brown-gray in the Central Valley, and quite thick. So I am pretty sure man can fuck up the environment to a huge degree, even if climate change has bigger influences.

So the natural conclusions are that: 1) It is a matter of real concern, no matter how you think it is caused. 2) We could do a better job of limiting our own garbage and shit. and 3) We can start seriously looking into it, or just blithely wait for the day when we wake up and we are toast.

Personally, I think that, even if one agrees that man is the primary cause, we are still going to have to think about some form of controlling the weather, just because the masses of people around the world would never get their shit together on a group basis, even if it was to fight off evil space aliens. And I would be really surprised if the US military hasn't done a lot of research on the possibilities already.

Nicr. This just turned into a Chem trail thread.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And now?

Farming needs this stuff called 'water'. And while drier climates are actually usually pretty good farmlands (see: Italy, Spain, etc), that is with the caveat of normal and predictable rainy seasons.

America is fat. So very jiggly and fat. We'll survive the end of Californian large-scale farming.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand that all kinds of civilizations have been wiped off the map for all kinds of reasons, as well as a shitload of lesser disasters. All things considered, I would rather not have it happen to me and mine, if it is all the same to you. Not that you should give a shit about anyone else, or even the national food supply.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:49:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good thing local climates never change.

I keep meaning to go visit those glaciers that created the lakes up north.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Nicr. This just turned into a Chem trail thread.
View Quote

So the Air Force is doing research on Chem trails, too?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Yeah, I understand that all kinds of civilizations have been wiped off the map for all kinds of reasons, as well as a shitload of lesser disasters. All things considered, I would rather not have it happen to me and mine, if it is all the same to you. Not that you should give a shit about anyone else, or even the national food supply.

View Quote
You shouldn't presume to know what I do and don't give a shit about.

Assuming things doesn't reflect well on ones intelligence.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We care.

The asshat that's saying how much better your state is then the rest of the country,or a different asshat?

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Local" in this case meaning "entire western US". But don't worry, I am sure it won't cause you any problems.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:51:28 PM EDT
[#26]
The immensity of the San Joaquin Valley operations and efficiency are impressive, laugh a lot when your water dont arrive...enjoy the bonus tornadoes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently your reading skills are not what they should be. I didn't say anything about whether you actually cared about anything. I said there was no reason you should give a shit. Whether you actually do is a different question.

Try to keep up and not get too excited.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The asshat that's saying how much better your state is then the rest of the country,or a different asshat?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We care.

I am sorry if simple statistics make you feel inferior. That's just what the numbers are. Sorry if simple facts hurt your feelings. You can give stats on your state, too, if that makes you feel better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
"Local" in this case meaning "entire western US". But don't worry, I am sure it won't cause you any problems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone should have looked into this sooner!!!!

Oh wait.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I am sorry if simple statistics make you feel inferior. That's just what the numbers are. Sorry if simple facts hurt your feelings. You can give stats on your state, too, if that makes you feel better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We care.

We put out much more freedom then your state.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If it did it would probably shift a good deal of the production, and the resulting world power, to other countries. In the meantime, tomatoes might be $20 per pound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

California grows 65 percent of the entire US crop of peaches and more than 80 percent of the US crop of strawberries -  far more than the entire rest of the US combined. No other growing area even comes close. California produces 100 percent of the US supply of about three dozen common crops, including one-third of the world supply of tomatoes. If you go eat a pizza anywhere in the world, there is a good chance it is topped with California tomatoes.

You are under the impression that the Free Market would not adjust?

If it did it would probably shift a good deal of the production, and the resulting world power, to other countries. In the meantime, tomatoes might be $20 per pound.

Lol.  Several of my customers were busy with a meeting with Red Gold yesterday.  In Indiana.  Tell you what, we will pick up the slack on tomatoes and you dipshits in Cali can export cakes for all the gay weddings.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

is fifth in cotton production and produces twice as much cotton per acre than other regions,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Cali was the main producer of meat, potatoes, rice, beans, wheat, cotton, corn, you know the staples I would be interested.

You are #1 in barking moonbat production!!!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:01:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://www.jasonmunster.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Rainfall-in-US.jpg

Oh wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jasonmunster.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Rainfall-in-US.jpg

Oh wait.

Fuck Yes, I like that Map, I'll be gtg.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:04:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We care.

Tell me more about your global air conditioning apparatus, Carnot.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lol.  Several of my customers were busy with a meeting with Red Gold yesterday.  In Indiana.  Tell you what, we will pick up the slack on tomatoes and you dipshits in Cali can export cakes for all the gay weddings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

California grows 65 percent of the entire US crop of peaches and more than 80 percent of the US crop of strawberries -  far more than the entire rest of the US combined. No other growing area even comes close. California produces 100 percent of the US supply of about three dozen common crops, including one-third of the world supply of tomatoes. If you go eat a pizza anywhere in the world, there is a good chance it is topped with California tomatoes.

Why are all you California haters sooooo obsessed with gay people? You guys bring this up every time, like it is the only thing you are really interested in. I live in the state and the most frequent discussions of gay stuff -- sometimes including all the juicy details so you know they REALLY thought about it -- comes from the people on GD.

Why do you guys always pull out the gay thing right away? Is that all you think about?
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Google "Military research on climate control systems"
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:07:37 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Why are all you California haters sooooo obsessed with gay people? You guys bring this up every time, like it is the only thing you are really interested in. I live in the state and the most frequent discussions of gay stuff -- sometimes including all the juicy details so you know they REALLY thought about it -- comes from the people on GD.

Why do you guys always pull out the gay thing right away? Is that all you think about?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you call every one a California hater,maybe it's your smugness they all hate?

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:12:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Cool! the park can open early this year!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:13:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you weren't so worried about your god damned strawberries maybe you would have noticed the recent media furor over the law Indiana just passed that has the knickers of seemingly every gay person in America in a twist.

I was just pointing out there is precious little that is special about agriculture in California.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:15:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Google "thermodynamics for dummies". Also known as, "training liberal arts majors not to touch the stove'.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I have been on this forum since 2008 and haven't put anyone on ignore...until now

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#42]
ITT the OP might come to understand why its not a good idea to talk to people from other areas of the country like two year olds while simultaneously asking for people to care about the lack of water in his great state

Droughts are a part of life. What was the cause during the "Dust Bowl" era? Population increases? CO2 emissions?

In all seriousness though, it is a problem without many great solutions, aside from "hurry up and wait".  I truly believe that this too shall pass and we will figure out a solution for our evil thirsty brothers that no one wants to claim from California (yes I do have a brother that lives there and this thread is very much like our Xmas dinners )

I just hope that solution is more along the lines of de-sal plants and not taxing the rest of the country. If something can't stand on its own then that something needs to fundamentally change
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:25:27 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Lake Badwater has been pretty dry since I was little.  

Back in the 90s the same thing happened and then record snowfall that filled everything up again.  

View Quote
We are waiting for this to happen, next winter if we are lucky

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
ITT the OP might come to understand why its not a good idea to talk to people from other areas of the country like two year olds while simultaneously asking for people to care about the lack of water in his great state

Droughts are a part of life. What was the cause during the "Dust Bowl" era? Population increases? CO2 emissions?

In all seriousness though, it is a problem without many great solutions, aside from "hurry up and wait".  I truly believe that this too shall pass and we will figure out a solution for our evil thirsty brothers that no one wants to claim from California (yes I do have a brother that lives there and this thread is very much like our Xmas dinners )

I just hope that solution is more along the lines of de-sal plants and not taxing the rest of the country. If something can't stand on its own then that something needs to fundamentally change
View Quote

You used a few "key words" there.....plant!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:31:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The gulf coast states would make up the rice production easily, there is thousands of acres in TX alone not being planted that used to be. Cali beef production is in the single digits and turkeys can be raised nearly anywhere. More cotton per acre means more water per acre.  Hmmm

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#46]
you can use gatorade if you dont have water, its got what plants crave
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#47]

The current drought started back in 2002. Some good rain/snow years but overall less water retention than required

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
you can use gatorade if you dont have water, its got what plants crave
View Quote

Finally we are on to something !
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:39:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I am sorry. I have to remember that my mother always told me to try to go along with people who are completely uninformed and have trouble reading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I get it now.  I thought this thread was about climate change but in reality it is just a vehicle for the OP to be an asshole to the respondents.

I am sorry. I have to remember that my mother always told me to try to go along with people who are completely uninformed and have trouble reading.

"Completely uninformed" would be trying to make an argument that three, or five, or twenty years of WEATHER is indicative of CLIMATE.

Google "Vostok Ice Core Samples" or "deep ocean sediment paleoclimatology" for yet another lesson in why the real idiots are the ones who believe in anthropogenic global cooling, I mean anthropogenic global warming, I mean climate change.

Climate is measured in millennia, and it has had large, marked, recurring warming and cooling cycles as far back as we can measure.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:43:19 AM EDT
[#50]

Yes, very interesting.

Now what?
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top