Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2015 4:40:29 PM EDT
Basically I've narrowed it down to either a Nissan Armada or a Toyota Sequoia

Certified Pre Owned, my budget is under $30,000
I'd probably be looking for model years 2010-2013
I need 4WD and a rear view camera and would prefer leather/heated seats.

Certified Sequoias are hard to come by - I've searched countless dealers and Autotrader within 500 miles of me.
Armadas are a little easier.

If anyone has experience with these, chime in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Toyota all the way....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#2]
No Jeep Wrangler.  I don't want to participate anymore.  My wife loves her Nissan but it feels like way to much plastic for me.  I do like Toyota as well.  

But all said and done get the Jeep.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a 4 door Ram. Forget the Japanese crap, be a real American
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:47:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Jesus another thread about this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven't owned either one of these models, but I have owned both brands.  I'd never buy another Nissan, Toyota for sure!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think I'd be too interested in a 2010 or newer Sequoia I could buy for under $30K.

ETA: I'm wrong.  Just needs a lot of miles and the elusive SR4 package.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4946949126.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
GM          ,
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Where's the f150 option?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:59:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL!

Nissan Armada's are made in Mississippi

Toyota Sequia's are made in Indiana.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Audi Q5.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:24:15 PM EDT
[#11]
The correct answer is neither. I have not owned either. I have cross shopped them both.  When comparing the Nissan, the Toyota, the Tahoe and the expedition I found the Nissan and Toyota to look and feel cheap. The Tahoe or the expedition are a lot nicer vehicles.  I have owned 2 expeditions and two suburbans and while not perfect they are the better choices.  Drive them all and I believe you will understand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Was in the same boat last fall.

You can probably find my thread about it where it was carefully explained that I was 87 types of retarded for not getting g a chebby.

We went with the armada, for the following reasons:

1) my brother has had several suburbans/yukons, all have been trouble

2) my brother in law has a brand new (maybe 3k miles on it now) Yukon Denali XL, which has had major problems including a full tranny replacement

3) I have an 08 Titan with 160k on it. It's been great, despite a lot of abUse. It's off road daily, and frequently hauls heavy loads. Outside of maintenance items, my only problem has been damage to the electrical system on the underside due to offroading.

4) We compared a used Sequoia SR5 to a 2011 Armada Platinum (all that was available within a few hundred miles). The SR5 interior felt very cheesy compared to the Armada. Not apples to apples, but the Toyota interior felt very budgety for the amount we were shelling out.

5) This was the wife's car, and she was going from an audi s4 to a truck (kids will do that to your vehicle choices). She felt much more comfortable driving the armada. Ymmv

Either way, good choices. They're very reliable, non UAW, and you don't have to spend extra money on gold chains and drivetrains.

BTW, if you're tall, double check the Toyota. I'm 6'4" and have trouble getting into both the Tundra and Sequoia without hitting my noggin.

ETA: 6) wife and I both felt the newer sequoia looks too minivan ish compared to the earlier brawnier version
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Fucking Armada is a 15 year old design.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Audi Q5.
View Quote

I'm coming from an 03 Audi allroad that I bought at 110,000mi and now has 138k. I've poured all kinds of money into the car and still it needs more. Probably spent 2 grand this year alone and the code it's throwing me now is basically another $2000 plus if I get it fixed. I'm tired of the trips to the Shop.

It's my 3rd Audi and 4th VW product and I'm done with that brand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't think I'd be too interested in a 2010 or newer Sequoia I could buy for under $30K.

ETA: I'm wrong.  Just needs a lot of miles and the elusive SR4 package.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/4946949126.html
View Quote

no 5.7L engine and 2wd.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'm coming from an 03 Audi allroad that I bought at 110,000mi and now has 138k. I've poured all kinds of money into the car and still it needs more. Probably spent 2 grand this year alone and the code it's throwing me now is basically another $2000 plus if I get it fixed. I'm tired of the trips to the Shop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Audi Q5.

My S4 started missing on at least one cylinder the day before I traded it in on the armada.

My dad's A4 has had 2 injectors replaced under warranty. Similar issue.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I would say to buy the one that comes with the prettiest skirt and blouse.  

Geebus.  

You "need" 4wd but you are looking at those station wagons?  OK, then pick the one that comes with the corduroy skirt and comfortable shoes.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Geebus.  

You "need" 4wd but you are looking at those station wagons?  OK, then pick the one that comes with the corduroy skirt and comfortable shoes.  
View Quote

Lulz.

Not everyone who needs 4wd also needs to mount a magnifying glass over their dick.

-from a guy who has owned an f-150, yj, cj, titan, armada, and 3 atv (all yamahas, just because).
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:28:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Geebus.  

View Quote

I didn't know this was a dick measuring contest...
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 5:34:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where's the f150 option?
View Quote

look for a closeout 2014 model and get a new one for $30000 with better interest rates than a used vehicle
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like you need a 72 pinto with a 300 ford. Bore it .050, 9.4 comp ratio ( or higher if the turbo allows it), then a 60'ish mm turbo. You can use one off a 14 liter cummins , maybe it was a 6.5 chevy diesel. Idk of any stroker kits for this engine but since a 300 is just a stroked 200 something you might not have much room to play with that. Get a good intake and closed chamber heads, I read that the open chambers will be more prone to detonate and we don't want that.
Some forge Pistons, arp bolts in the bottom and top, and a real good cam ( gonna have to do your own research on that). A 72 pinto should be about 2500 pounds, probably gonna have to swap axles, definitely tranmissions. Tko 5 speeds are popular, Od is good because now you can gear it real low in the back. But 3 gear changes to direct might be more than you want. Tires you're also gonna have to figure out yourself. Of course an efi conversion would be cool. I think you can buy kits for that.

^^^^^ thats the car you want op. But it might not be the one you need. Who doesn't like torquey pinto's?

I'll be honest, I didnt read the op. Do what the man at the dealership tells you. He wouldn't lie, right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

LOL!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL!

And every cent went back to Asia, because that where the headquarters is (talking out my ass there, it's 6 in the morning and I'm on pain pills)

Although, it seems like a lot of old people buy these jap cars nowadays. I would figure they'd be more murica than that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:28:20 PM EDT
[#23]
bump
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks guys!!

Went with a 2008 Limited. Now to see about upgrades!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top