Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guy is total bullshit and is either looking for a cheap service or a way out of his house.

Even if you can't get cable, there are plenty of companies providing T1 services to everywhere there is a POTS line, ISDN, DSL, Sattelite, Cellular, Wireless, and Fiber to Home.
View Quote

Yep.  If I really liked my house and had to have service for work I'd get a T1.

ETA - we'll also bury fiber to anybody if they'll pay the install.  The install price could be pretty scary depending on where it is, but we'll do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
ever hear of satellite internet service,,,,,,,
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

didn't read the whole article? guy needs a reliable VPN connection to his office to work from home. not all satellite providers guarantee a connection stable enough for a VPN, or they filter out VPN traffic so they can charge extra fees for a "business" service class.

additionally, in this area of WA you sometimes have to cut a good sized stand of 200ft tall trees to get a line of sight to your satellite, most are geostationary in the southern hemisphere often below the treeline.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He can get high speed Internet and to his home.  He just doesn't want to pay for it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
He can get high speed Internet and to his home.  He just doesn't want to pay for it.

That now seems unlikely, considering that the house isn't wired for cable, and Comcast's nearest connection point is 2,500 feet away. Poor Seth had to learn this hard way, after half a dozen visits—both scheduled and unscheduled—from Comcast techs who hadn't been informed about his problem and arrived thinking they'd just have to install a cable box.

Instead, wiring the house for Comcast access is a complex engineering project involving permits and buried cables, and it would cost between $56,000 and $60,000. Morabito only learned this after several engineering requests were opened and then automatically closed by Comcast's system because—and this is where things get truly nightmarish—someone had incorrectly checked a box indicating he already had service.

I'm rural and we have high speed thru the phone line.
The co-op paid to lay it though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That now seems unlikely, considering that the house isn't wired for cable, and Comcast's nearest connection point is 2,500 feet away. Poor Seth had to learn this hard way, after half a dozen visits—both scheduled and unscheduled—from Comcast techs who hadn't been informed about his problem and arrived thinking they'd just have to install a cable box.

Instead, wiring the house for Comcast access is a complex engineering project involving permits and buried cables, and it would cost between $56,000 and $60,000. Morabito only learned this after several engineering requests were opened and then automatically closed by Comcast's system because—and this is where things get truly nightmarish—someone had incorrectly checked a box indicating he already had service.

Know how I know you didn't finish reading the article? Slap yourself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My two neighbors have comcast but they're refusing me service
View Quote

You've got it wrong, bud... Com rap is doing you a favor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know how I know you don't have any experience turning up circuits in rural areas?

It can be done (not through Comcast - and for a shit ton less than $60k). He either doesn't know about it, or refuses to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I really hope this whole Google Fiber thing takes off, with other companies like Amazon or Apple offering similar services. Not just because I want super fast internet, but also because I want to see the telecoms go down.
View Quote

How does google make money pulling fiber where comcast couldn't make money pulling coax?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ever heard that satellite internet service sucks balls?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:46:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

ETA - we'll also bury fiber to anybody if they'll pay the install.  The install price could be pretty scary depending on where it is, but we'll do it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy is total bullshit and is either looking for a cheap service or a way out of his house.

Even if you can't get cable, there are plenty of companies providing T1 services to everywhere there is a POTS line, ISDN, DSL, Sattelite, Cellular, Wireless, and Fiber to Home.

T1's are great for voice. But internet? In 2014? $700 a month for 1.544 Mb/s? lol
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'm having a similar issue with Time Warner. My family's company just bought another location, complete with a residence. I wanted to hook up phone and internet. Last week I was there doing some work there and I noticed two Time Warner trucks next door, hooking up cable to a little motel. We went over and talked to the guys, they walked over, looked at the line running in front of the house, hanging on the powerpole and said, yep, no problem.

I called Time Warner and said hook me up!

They sent me back an email telling me they didn't have service near my home.

WTF?

The line runs directly in front of my house!
View Quote
Yeah, Ive had a fiber line 20' from my house for two years now and the company refuses to hook me up.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:51:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

T1's are great for voice. But internet? In 2014? $700 a month for 1.544 Mb/s? lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A T1 doesn't cost $700/mo.  And it's not 2014.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a set up with Comcast a few years ago for a house I was moving into....and they kept pushing the install date every day this went on for 7-8 business days and because I was starting a new job I did not have time to mess with them...finally I got them to admit that they don't offer service at the address I had moved into...they still call and offer me service at an address they don't service

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is what he should do. Just buy someone's unlimited number from ebay and put in a myfi or a jailbroke iPhone and use it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about a wireless air card?

This is what he should do. Just buy someone's unlimited number from ebay and put in a myfi or a jailbroke iPhone and use it

Wait, you can do that?

Now I'm torn if I want to sell my data plan to get something NFA.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah, Ive had a fiber line 20' from my house for two years now and the company refuses to hook me up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm having a similar issue with Time Warner. My family's company just bought another location, complete with a residence. I wanted to hook up phone and internet. Last week I was there doing some work there and I noticed two Time Warner trucks next door, hooking up cable to a little motel. We went over and talked to the guys, they walked over, looked at the line running in front of the house, hanging on the powerpole and said, yep, no problem.

WTF?

Do you know what's on the fiber? You can't just splice into it and have internet.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Was that heavy duty cable also self-amplified?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen that before.  A person I know had a similar problem.  Comcast wanted $20k or so to run cable to his house on 40 acres.  He struck a "wink wink" deal with a local rep to leave some of their heavy duty cable in his field and he rented a trencher (if that's the right term) and ran the cable himself.  Comcast came back and tied him in for free and everyone was happy.

I'd sell a house over the same thing if the above wasn't an option.

Was that heavy duty cable also self-amplified?

No clue.  I just saw the ditch dug and the cable go in.  I know jack shit beyond that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Last time I looked into a T1 for a customer it was $600 a month. That was last year so I assumed the rates had gone up.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep.  T1's are cheap now... but still not 19.95 cheap.  He can probably snag a t1 for around 250 per month.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dumb ass can just get a couple bonded T1s.  If he can get phone service, he can get a T1.  But again probably doesn't want to pay for it.

Yep.  T1's are cheap now... but still not 19.95 cheap.  He can probably snag a t1 for around 250 per month.

I fhe was willing to crack off with $56K $250 per isn't shit.  just wait till his Obamacare kicks in. Oh his liberal tears wlil really flow.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Do you know what's on the fiber? You can't just splice into it and have internet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Internet for a development a few miles down the road.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Telecommuter here.

I understand but do not sympathize with the person in question. He should have known better than to trust the cable or phone company. I enjoy my cushy telecommuting job but I know it keeps me tied to the suburbs and that my ability to work from home is akin to someone else ability to work because the road crews clear snow.

Real estate gurus: Is it possible for part of the sale contract  to be dependent on internet access. I would personally have done something like offer $250 plus the monthly fees for the seller to have set up Internet at the house prior to the sale of the home and made it part of the inspection. Show up with my laptop for an hour or leave an old server there doing work for a day or something. Give the seller enough money to show good faith and not waste their time but also ensure that I can work and earn money to pay the mortgage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Had a supervisor for Comcast tell me the exact sale thing. "They'll lie to you to get the sale."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First off, F Comcast, just on principle.

Both Comcast and Frontier have lied to me, repeatedly and to my face, about service at a couple different locations I've checked with them. Whatever it takes to get the sale.

Had a supervisor for Comcast tell me the exact sale thing. "They'll lie to you to get the sale."

They tell you these things based on zip code. However an actual survey of the cable plant can determine if a house is serviceable and if its not give you a cost for extending the plant. Its a specific request.

It sounds like someone didn't ask the right questions. Do i blame the guy? Not exactly but i don't blame Comcast for him buying his house either. If cable internet was such a selling point he should have made more checks.

Not knowing what the conversations were with Comcast there is no way to tell if the seriousness of his inquiry was made clear to the reps helping him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is probably an access node that is fed by the fiber. It doesn't mean they can give you service just because the fiber goes by your house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Last time I billed a customer for a T1 it was $600 a month. That was last year so I assumed the rates had gone up.
View Quote

I have about ~200 remote sites, each with a T1. They run me around ~$350/mo. Admittedly, that's a negotiated price under contract, but it's more than just Internet access (it's an MPLS network).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:04:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.  If he really likes the house he should rent a 10x10 office in town and VPN from there.
View Quote

Can't agree with that.  Being able to work in pajamas, or skivvies or shorts is important.  Who wants to dress to go into town when you can be at home?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:05:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They tell you these things based on zip code. However an actual survey of the cable plant can determine if a house is serviceable and if its not give you a cost for extending the plant. Its a specific request.

It sounds like someone didn't ask the right questions. Do i blame the guy? Not exactly but i don't blame Comcast for him buying his house either. If cable internet was such a selling point he should have made more checks.

Not knowing what the conversations were with Comcast there is no way to tell if the seriousness of his inquiry was made clear to the reps helping him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both Comcast and Frontier have lied to me, repeatedly and to my face, about service at a couple different locations I've checked with them. Whatever it takes to get the sale.

Let me make sure I understand.

The business repeatedly told him he would have service, and you are saying its not the fault of the business for telling him he'd have service? Do I have that about right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I expect that it is due to the cost of fiber service is much more than coax service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really hope this whole Google Fiber thing takes off, with other companies like Amazon or Apple offering similar services. Not just because I want super fast internet, but also because I want to see the telecoms go down.

How does google make money pulling fiber where comcast couldn't make money pulling coax?

I expect that it is due to the cost of fiber service is much more than coax service.

Google charges $70 a month for gigabit ethernet, $120 for that and TV.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't imagine it costs $60k to run 2,500 feet of cable.  I ran 1,400 feet of power, underground, for about $3k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Any business will do whatever you want, you just have to convince them via money.  He's full of shit.  You can get Internet anywhere, just depends on if you're willing to pay for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the article, he explains that comcast backed off and said they wouldn't install it, same for the local DSL company.

Any business will do whatever you want, you just have to convince them via money.  He's full of shit.  You can get Internet anywhere, just depends on if you're willing to pay for it.

that's not completely true...

Lets assume its 60K to extend the plant for one house that pays 70 bucks a month for internet. Even on a 10 year contract How much money do you think the ISP will pay to maintain a line with one person on it?wear and tear, weather accident what ever. one indecent will eat an entire year or 12 of profits from one subscriber.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:08:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The business repeatedly told him he would have service, and you are saying its not the fault of the business for telling him he'd have service? Do I have that about right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's their fault. However...

..."Trust, but verify".

You don't fuck around on things that are SO IMPORTANT, that they affect your ability to live in the home. Some things, you don't leave to chance. Or a call center employees "word".

Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's what we ended up doing, ran a T1 over existing 4-wire phone line.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:10:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Lets assume its 60K to extend the plant for one house that pays 70 bucks a month for internet. Even on a 10 year contract How much money do you think the ISP will pay to maintain a line with one person on it?wear and tear, weather accident what ever. one indecent will eat an entire year or 12 of profits from one subscriber.
View Quote

You guys need to get over this idea that his only option is Comcast. It isn't. He's thinking more like a residential consumer, than a business customer. It's screwing him.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
A T1 is going to be very pricy and slow as hell. Unless he gets multiple bonded T1 connections, and that would be even more expensive.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
A T1 is going to be very pricy and slow as hell. Unless he gets multiple bonded T1 connections, and that would be even more expensive.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  He doesn't want to pay for it.  If it's so important have the business pay for the service and/or deduct it.

He can get his Internet, he just doesn't want to pay for it.  You can get Internet anywhere, if you pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:12:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There is probably an access node that is fed by the fiber. It doesn't mean they can give you service just because the fiber goes by your house.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just, like, hack me in there dood!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

They're doing you a favor.

I spent almost 10 hours on the phone with Comcast.  First to get my service connected, then to cancel the service that they couldn't figure out how to activate.  Then I had to return the cable box they sent me after I cancelled and returned all the equipment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My two neighbors have comcast but they're refusing me service

They're doing you a favor.

I spent almost 10 hours on the phone with Comcast.  First to get my service connected, then to cancel the service that they couldn't figure out how to activate.  Then I had to return the cable box they sent me after I cancelled and returned all the equipment.

Some of us don't have alternatives for high-speed. Verizon FIOS is out. ATT U-Verse isn't as fast and is unavailable as well. It sucks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

nope. If you dont have coax good luck getting fiber. Its all about how many houses you cross.

Its like setting up a Starbucks in the middle of the desert. Great, every one wants beverages in the desert. too bad there is no one there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF?

you just twist that shit together right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't imagine it costs $60k to run 2,500 feet of cable.  I ran 1,400 feet of power, underground, for about $3k.
View Quote

There's more to it than burying a wire in the ground.  Looking at the guy's home, I think the cost would've been secondary to the private easements that would've been necessary and are generally next to impossible to secure.  

Comcast: "Hey, Seth's neighbors, we want unfettered access to this portion of your property for the next XX years."

Neighbor 1: "Uh, okay."

Neighbor 2: "Hmm, let me think about it and get back to you."

Neighbor 3: "Get off my lawn!"

Comcast: "Okay, bye then."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on his job, it's more than enough.

I could do my job from home, full time, with a T1. I wouldn't be happy about it (no Netflix), but I could do it. I've seen me do it.

He's a software developer - it's a bit vague. If he's getting paid to write device drivers (just throwing shit out there - you get the idea), a T1 is more than enough to let him do that.

And if he's willing to get creative (and/or is willing to pay creative people who design networks for a living to engineer a solution for him), he can do better - and for a shit ton less than $50-60k.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:16:35 PM EDT
[#41]
His first mistake was not getting anything from cumcast in writing and believing it.

His second mistake was believing anything cumcast said, unless he could hold them to it.

His third mistake was thinking that the company was going to spend big bucks for a monthly subscription fee for him because he's a special snowflake.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:17:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

You guys need to get over this idea that his only option is Comcast. It isn't. He's thinking more like a residential consumer, than a business customer. It's screwing him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's thinking like a guy who is looking for a reason to back out on the sale of a house.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt say it was perfect but its how customer care in a ISP works. and it works 99% of the time. this dude has a 2k foot drive way. No way a Customer service rep has a picture of dudes house or actual plant maps to compare.

If i was in guys shoes i would have made more specific inquiries. then again i worked for a cable ISP for many years so i know how to navigate them.

I do not blame them for not hooking the dude up even if he paid for every penny of the install. Maintenance cost would negate any profitability of that expansion.

hate for Comcast has blinded some that a reasonable business decision on profitability was made by a private company.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's their fault. However...

..."Trust, but verify".

You don't fuck around on things that are SO IMPORTANT, that they affect your ability to live in the home. Some things, you don't leave to chance. Or a call center employees "word".

Just sayin'.
View Quote

Oh I agree. I already have back up options for the area I'm moving to, and I dont even know if I'm moving yet! I do this because I know the companies lie their ass off on these things. But at the same time, to some degree you should be able to trust a company when they say "We can provide you x,y and z services at the location you have requested".

I also dont agree with the idea services are available anywhere as a residential user. In the strictest sense of the word sure. If you want to pay multi millions you can get service anywhere you want. At a residential level though we all know thats not really reasonable. So speaking practically, no as a residential user you cant get service anywhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#45]
What a DUMBASS!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I was just pointing that even if he paid for every dime of install the long term profitability was nill on a single line 2000+ feet long with one sub on it.

I require internet for my current job. I would make sure i had broadband available to me before i ever bid on a house. whether its a cable, twisted pair, fiber or wireless of some sort.

its too important to leave up to a customer service rep making 10 bucks an hour.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

No

There aren't
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And isn't the slower fiber access free?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you're making life choices based on results from Comcast.. You're doing it wrong.
View Quote

LOL this is what I thought.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#50]
All in all it's very telling since I want to have a 1000' driveway.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top