Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/27/2015 2:29:11 PM EDT
http://gawker.com/man-forced-to-sell-his-new-house-because-comcast-lied-t-1694018196

A software engineer living in Washington state may have no choice but to sell the home he bought last December because, despite repeatedly checking with Comcast before he even considered buying the property, the company just can't (or won't) give him internet service.

Seth Morabito's thorough chronicle of how Comcast strung him along is some real Twilight Zone shit, and provides a grim cautionary tale about making any decision—let alone buying a house—based on assurances from the Worst Company in America.

Before he made the decision to move to rural Kitsap County, Morabito says, he called Comcast and Comcast Business to make sure he could get service—especially important because he works from home, and can't do his job without internet access. He says he was told it wouldn't be a problem, and Comcast Business even assured him a previous resident had an account with them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, F Comcast, just on principle.

Both Comcast and Frontier have lied to me, repeatedly and to my face, about service at a couple different locations I've checked with them. Whatever it takes to get the sale.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't pull up the article because of the stupid work firewall.  I realize Comcast blows goats but is satellite internet out the question?  I'd do that before I sold the house.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't pull up the article because of the stupid work firewall.  I realize Comcast blows goats but is satellite internet out the question?  I'd do that before I sold the house.
View Quote

From what I gleaned he tried that but they do not guarantee he could connect to his work through a VPN, and they had severe limits on data which he would far exceed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Not excusing Comcast's lies, but you'd think he'd have had the inspector check such a critical issue out.

They claimed the previous owner had service. An utter lack of Comcast equipment would've been a clue, including the lack of a cable hook up at all. That's how I knew Verizon was available to me.

When I was buying my house I didn't trust anybody that wasn't being directly paid by me, and then only a little bit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]
He can get high speed Internet and to his home.  He just doesn't want to pay for it.

That now seems unlikely, considering that the house isn't wired for cable, and Comcast's nearest connection point is 2,500 feet away. Poor Seth had to learn this hard way, after half a dozen visits—both scheduled and unscheduled—from Comcast techs who hadn't been informed about his problem and arrived thinking they'd just have to install a cable box.

Instead, wiring the house for Comcast access is a complex engineering project involving permits and buried cables, and it would cost between $56,000 and $60,000. Morabito only learned this after several engineering requests were opened and then automatically closed by Comcast's system because—and this is where things get truly nightmarish—someone had incorrectly checked a box indicating he already had service.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Satellite is slow as fuck. I doubt a software engineer could do his job using it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're making life choices based on results from Comcast.. You're doing it wrong.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:37:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Both Comcast and Frontier have lied to me, repeatedly and to my face, about service at a couple different locations I've checked with them. Whatever it takes to get the sale.
View Quote

Had a supervisor for Comcast tell me the exact sale thing. "They'll lie to you to get the sale."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
If you're not getting shit in writing from any of the mega democrat donor corporations, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He addresses most of them in a FAQ on his blog:

Why didn't he get something in writing from Comcast? He asked, but was told they don't do that.

Doesn't he have any other options for internet service? DSL? Satellite? Not really—Comcast's only real competitor in the area, CenturyLink, has marked Morabito's area as "permanent exhaust," meaning they're not hooking up any new customers.

He also tried the local point-to-point wireless company and got the best, worst response ever: "We used to serve your area, but last year somebody built a building between our tower and Poulsbo. We lost a lot of customers. There's nothing we can do for you."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not excusing Comcast's lies, but you'd think he'd have had the inspector check such a critical issue out.

They claimed the previous owner had service. An utter lack of Comcast equipment would've been a clue, including the lack of a cable hook up at all. That's how I knew Verizon was available to me.

When I was buying my house I didn't trust anybody that wasn't being directly paid by me, and then only a little bit.
View Quote
+1

Apparently VPN from home was critical to him, it sounds like he called comcast and got a $14 CS rep to look at a screen and say "No problem..."

I have a hard time feeling sorry for him.  If he really likes the house he should rent a 10x10 office in town and VPN from there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
My two neighbors have comcast but they're refusing me service
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The guy is total bullshit and is either looking for a cheap service or a way out of his house.

Even if you can't get cable, there are plenty of companies providing T1 services to everywhere there is a POTS line, ISDN, DSL, Sattelite, Cellular, Wireless, and Fiber to Home.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If you're making life choices based on results from Comcast.. You're doing it wrong.

View Quote

And I'm betting the person he talked to had a THICK Indian accent.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
He can get high speed Internet and to his home.  He just doesn't want to pay for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That now seems unlikely, considering that the house isn't wired for cable, and Comcast's nearest connection point is 2,500 feet away. Poor Seth had to learn this hard way, after half a dozen visits—both scheduled and unscheduled—from Comcast techs who hadn't been informed about his problem and arrived thinking they'd just have to install a cable box.

Instead, wiring the house for Comcast access is a complex engineering project involving permits and buried cables, and it would cost between $56,000 and $60,000. Morabito only learned this after several engineering requests were opened and then automatically closed by Comcast's system because—and this is where things get truly nightmarish—someone had incorrectly checked a box indicating he already had service.

Keep reading, he was willing to pay and comcast refused to do the hookup.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Robert called and told me that Comcast will not do the extension. No ifs, no ands, no buts, they just won't do it. They wouldn't even give me the chance to pay for it. Too much effort on their part.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:42:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur.  The more dependent you are on someone else, the less independent you are.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

keep reading...

After all of that, Morabito was willing to pay his share of the wiring costs—moving out of a house with only three months of equity is pretty expensive, too—and even researched contractors who could do part of the work for less than what Comcast was charging.

Then he got some awful news:

Robert called and told me that Comcast will not do the extension. No ifs, no ands, no buts, they just won't do it. They wouldn't even give me the chance to pay for it. Too much effort on their part.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:43:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  He refused to pay the $60,000 in build out expenses it would take to bring comcast to his house.

I can't see any carrier spend 60k for one 19.95 dollar a month customer.

Also, I know this field real well... He could pay the boring costs himself and get his own CLEC license... done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Dumb ass can just get a couple bonded T1s.  If he can get phone service, he can get a T1.  But again probably doesn't want to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

2 paragraphs later he says they wouldn't take his money.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
My two neighbors have comcast but they're refusing me service
View Quote

They're doing you a favor.

I spent almost 10 hours on the phone with Comcast.  First to get my service connected, then to cancel the service that they couldn't figure out how to activate.  Then I had to return the cable box they sent me after I cancelled and returned all the equipment.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

If you're not getting shit in writing from any of the mega democrat donor corporations, you're doing it wrong.
View Quote

He addresses most of them in a FAQ on his blog:

Why didn't he get something in writing from Comcast? He asked, but was told they don't do that.

Doesn't he have any other options for internet service? DSL? Satellite? Not really—Comcast's only real competitor in the area, CenturyLink, has marked Morabito's area as "permanent exhaust," meaning they're not hooking up any new customers.

He also tried the local point-to-point wireless company and got the best, worst response ever: "We used to serve your area, but last year somebody built a building between our tower and Poulsbo. We lost a lot of customers. There's nothing we can do for you."

All of this leaves him no option but to do his work from mobile hotspot whose bandwidth limits aren't enough to last him a whole month, and go to Starbucks whenever he needs to transfer a large file.

The only reasonable suggestion I've seen that could have prevented this fiasco was to make the sale of the home contingent on an internet connection being successfully installed—Comcast still would have screwed him, but at least they would've done before he moved in.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Dumb ass can just get a couple bonded T1s.  If he can get phone service, he can get a T1.  But again probably doesn't want to pay for it.
View Quote

Yep.  T1's are cheap now... but still not 19.95 cheap.  He can probably snag a t1 for around 250 per month.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I had the exact same thing happen with me and my new house. I was told on multiple occasions by att and the builder that internet was available. I call att day after closing to set up uverse and surprise surprise they claim it doesnt cover my street(subdivision) they wont even come out to install dsl. I could get charter if I was 1 street over in the subdivision but they are claiming they are 1000 ft. out.

If I dont have fast hardline internet by the time Star Wars Battlefront comes out Im going to shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Comcast is far from the worst.

Try CenturyLink
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guy is full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Had a supervisor for Comcast tell me the exact sale thing. "They'll lie to you to get the sale."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Verizon did the very same thing to me when I moved into these offices. I didn't find out I'd never get internet until the day the tech came out and said, "Yeah, no, that can't happen."

Thank God, I'd put it on my Amex. Verizon took me for a huge deposit, install, etc. and Amex reversed it immediately.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Satellite is slow as fuck. I doubt a software engineer could do his job using it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Certainly not easily.

That being said, he's a dumbass. This is not the company's fault.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

What sale?  There's no "sale" without a service activation.  No one got paid.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Not much of a "software engineer". This guy simply doesn't want to go the distance. If it were me I'd go visit my nearest neighbors who have service and contract with them and set up a wireless link between us.  "But what if it isn't line of sight?"  Set up a repeater.  Stop being such a quitter.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I had the exact same thing happen with me and my new house. I was told on multiple occasions by att and the builder that internet was available. I call att day after closing to set up uverse and surprise surprise they claim it doesnt cover my street(subdivision) they wont even come out to install dsl. I could get charter if I was 1 street over in the subdivision but they are claiming they are 1000 ft. out.

If I dont have fast hardline internet by the time Star Wars Battlefront comes out Im going to shit.
View Quote

I doubt it's still this way but there were a few streets here in the town I work in (population 40k) were you couldn't get AT&T DSL.  The area was surrounded by locations where you could get DSL.   I don't think it was a technical issue, just some database columns aligned and no internet for you.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

sat connections are typically a last ditch effort, not something you'd want to use for work if you had other choices.  latency is a bitch.

ETA:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  T1's are cheap now... but still not 19.95 cheap.  He can probably snag a t1 for around 250 per month.

This, and i'd rather have a T1 than cable any day.  this dude never should have relied on any company saying they'd provide service as a decision point for buying a damn house, that was absurd on his part.

also it's entirely possible to be a professional software engineer and not know jack shit about networking beyond whatever they touched on in college.  i work with many people like that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:50:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After all of that, Morabito was willing to pay his share of the wiring costs—moving out of a house with only three months of equity is pretty expensive, too—and even researched contractors who could do part of the work for less than what Comcast was charging.

He was only willing to pay part of it... not all of it or provide his own contractors to do the work.... comcast doesn't work like that.

His simplest of options would have been to get either an address 2k feet down the road where there is service and then relay it over wireless.   This is what some of my friends in the country did.   Put a nice pole up with some good radios and you're all set.

There are literally so many options.

He's also making a HUGE mistake.  Had he ordered Comcast business fiber, they will bore out there faster than a politican can ban a gun.... he could run a short contract with them.... once that's over he can simply then get regular business cable (10 bucks more per month).  Hint, it's cheaper than 60k for a contract.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He lives in Washington State, he can afford a T1 line.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Frontier's case, it was a FIOS drop that was coming "sometime soon" to my neighborhood. They wanted me to hook up TV and phone that day, with the promise of getting fiber internet at some indeterminate point in the future. That was two years ago and they still haven't pulled fiber to my block.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:51:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He was only willing to pay part of it... not all of it or provide his own contractors to do the work.... comcast doesn't work like that.

View Quote

Yep you're right.  I imagine he's trying to get out of the sale of his house.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Why doesnt he find the nearest high speed node and set a microwave shot??
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why doesnt he find the nearest high speed node and set a microwave shot??
View Quote

Because it's easier writing a bitching article and getting shit for free or getting out of a house contract.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

In Frontier's case, it was a FIOS drop that was coming "sometime soon" to my neighborhood. They wanted me to hook up TV and phone that day, with the promise of getting fiber internet at some indeterminate point in the future. That was two years ago and they still haven't pulled fiber to my block.
View Quote

They wanted you (and your neighbors) to pay enough for TV and phone that you'd pay for the rollout of FIOS.   They should have offered you just that, but then they'd have a contract they couldn't back out on.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#41]
I bet I grew up within 20 minutes of this guy.

we didn't get anything more than channel 4,5,7,11,13 (and 22 on a good day) until I had already moved out and headed off to college
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Why doesn't he just lease a space somewhere close to town with a cable internet connection?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
No.  He refused to pay the $60,000 in build out expenses it would take to bring comcast to his house.

Also, I know this field real well... He could pay the boring costs himself and get his own CLEC license... done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Robert called and told me that Comcast will not do the extension. No ifs, no ands, no buts, they just won't do it. They wouldn't even give me the chance to pay for it. Too much effort on their part."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#44]
My biggest fear right here. I'm moving to a remote office soon and reliable internet is a *must*. I'd be less than amused if my home internet was shit and I had to end up renting an office somewhere just to do my job.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Comcast is far from the worst.

Try CenturyLink
View Quote

Yup, the only reason CenturyLink isn't the worst company in the nation is because they are not in enough markets.  My dad had 5 of their modems shit the bed and every time it would take 2 weeks of fighting before they would admit their modem was the problem.  My buddy only gets 1.5mbps down on his Century link connection but is too inept to call them to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"Robert called and told me that Comcast will not do the extension. No ifs, no ands, no buts, they just won't do it. They wouldn't even give me the chance to pay for it. Too much effort on their part."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, like I said, he didn't even try.

Try the BUSINESS services option.

Let me put it this way.... I needed two 4" inner-ducts drilled to my building, it's a $10,000 easement fee to do so plus the boring costs under a concrete/ashphalt parking lot....  A job such as this would easily cost 50-60k after permits and everything.

I paid ZERO.

How?  I ordered comcast business cable internet for 49 per month... and since they did not have cable into the building they had to bore, but I told them that we plan to order additional future services and don't want more bores... so if they want the business, they HAVE to bore TWO 4" innerducts.

Guess what?  I got two 4" innerducts

To their benefit I did eventually order more fiber from them and another cable service, so they won and I won.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I dealt with this a couple of times including one case where a customer ran conduit (properly might I add) for cable service when he had power run to his new rural home. The same pole that he was accessing power off of had a cable distribution hub on it that was servicing his neighbors so he figured he was good to go.

The cable company wanted more to pull wire and set up his service then getting gas, power and water to his home cost him. I don't know the exact numbers he said they were stupid. He wound up with a WISP with a repeater on a local grocery store's roof, a repeater tower on the top of his lot and a receiving antenna on his house for about 1/2 what the cable company wanted to pull 1 wire through a pipe.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#48]
I fucking HATE comcast. So over priced and it's a pain in the ass to navigate their call menu. I wish I could get rid of them but I'm stuck with them a while longer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:00:28 PM EDT
[#49]
2500' of new build, and they said no? Huh?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My biggest fear right here. I'm moving to a remote office soon and reliable internet is a *must*. I'd be less than amused if my home internet was shit and I had to end up renting an office somewhere just to do my job.....
View Quote

You can bond a lot of T1s for less than the price of office space.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top