User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But then the electronics in your sights fail.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried out some of the Lucas stuff. It pretty nice, good and thick and stays where you put it..

But then the electronics in your sights fail.

<snicker>
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#2]
All lubes work differently, but all lubes have been the same since the 30's, with a small jump in the 60's.

WD-40 works great, so does CLP and other military contract variants, MG'ers lube, so on and so forth.

All depends what you're using it on.

Funny thing is what many people consider "bad" and "good" is subjective to the purpose of use.  

For instance, many people say WD-40 sucks, yet love hoppes, even though they share a lot of primary ingredients.

A lot of people say Mobile 1 is great because it works in cars that see higher abuse, yet it works in cars VERY differently than a firearm operates.  My rifles don't have oil pumps to use pressure and flow rate to cool, lubricate, and physically force components apart.  On the flip side, dedicated barrier lubricants for firearms can have WAY better chemistry for barrier lube in moving parts, in proportions that engines wouldn't be able to use.

Gun oil has turned into this hilarious pop culture keeping up with the joneses race, when at the end of the day, everything is still the same base materials from the 30's.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
All the bio-lubes (Fireclean,Froglube,Seal 1, etc) are repackaged Track Lube. I tried Frog Lube it worked ok.
I use mostly motor oil to lube,Hoppes and Kroil to clean.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Hoppes #9 for cleaning.
BreakFree LP for lubing.
Surplus M1 Garand grease for triggers.

I don't geek out over new cleaners and new lubes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you think lube and cleaning functions should be kept separate, why did you go out of your way to tell me CLP isn't a great cleaner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aw man, I haven't seen a good lube thread in years!  These used to get vicious back in the day

I like Breakfree CLP simply because:

-it works

-the DoD has had more time and funding for objective testing than I will in 7 lifetimes

-a year's supply of it costs less than a steak dinner

Designer lubes may do something better, but I've never quite figured out what.

DoD =lowest bidder.

CLP does not dissolve metal (copper nor lead)

Here:

http://youtu.be/xrHZL1Of07U
Give me a second, I'll post a YouTube link on CLP vs Ballistol vs Hoppes 9.

Thought we were talking about lube.

I don't really care if CLP doesn't scrub every last iota of fouling out my barrel.  It's good for wiping carbon off BCG parts and running a wet patch down the bore.  Serious cleaning to get rid of jacket material generally involves cat piss-smelling stuff like Sweet's 7.62, and except for my precision bolt gun, I don't clean my rifles that aggressively more than once a year.

As for lead, I have a couple of 1911 that get shot exclusively with No2 alloy cast bullets and cleaned with... CLP!!

Guess what?  Neither has any bore leading to speak of.  Of course, these are tuned loads but still, the bores clean up to a mirror shine with just a few minutes work.

Long story short:  If it cleans substantially better than CLP, it's going to be worthless as a lubricant. If someone wants to claim that something else on the market performs substantially better as a lubricant than CLP, I want to see some kind of experimental data and not a Youtube video.

Did you read my 1st post in this thread? Looks like you didn't.

If you think lube and cleaning functions should be kept separate, why did you go out of your way to tell me CLP isn't a great cleaner?

It does not dissolve lead nor copper.

It does not protect very well either.

There are cleaners that clean better than CLP. There are protectents that protect better and lubes that sustain higher flash points.

It's okay at best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:57:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There are cleaners that clean better than CLP. There are protectents that protect better and lubes that sustain higher flash points.
View Quote

Viscosity is also important. CLP is very thin. Many firearm components with critical lubrication needs undergo rapid accelleration, extreme shock/vibration, and high pressure gas exposure. These are all things which will quickly remove thin lubricants.

Within reason, thicker is actually better. The problem with thicker is the change in viscosity with temprature. A thick, perfect AR lubricant at 60 degrees may turn into molasses at 9 degrees. The quest for an "all conditions", 0-140 degree weather lubricant is why so many are very thin. Sacrificing warm weather qualities for cold weather capability.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Viscosity is also important. CLP is very thin. Many firearm components with critical lubrication needs undergo rapid accelleration, extreme shock/vibration, and high pressure gas exposure. These are all things which will quickly remove thin lubricants.

Within reason, thicker is actually better. The problem with thicker is the change in viscosity with temprature. A thick, perfect AR lubricant at 60 degrees may turn into molasses at 9 degrees. The quest for an "all conditions", 0-140 degree weather lubricant is why so many are very thin. Sacrificing warm weather qualities for cold weather capability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Molybdenum disulphide is very thin too, so thin when it's burnished into metal you can't see it and it looks dry, yet works as barrier lubricant just fine.

"Thick" and "Thin" has little to do with anything on firearms.  "Thicker is better"   not really.  The correct material properties for the application is better.
CLP has synthetic oils as well as petroleum oils for solvent.  Once the solvent evaporates off, the synthetic lube is left. Amazingly, it has all the correct material properties for use as a firearms lubricant across a wide temprature range.  Almost like....    it was designed for an exceedingly stringent government contract.

You say CLP is thin.   Giant multi-million/ billion dollar defense industry chemical labs with empirical testing say it's just right.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I am sure your gun is harder on lube than a 4 cyclinder, overhead cam engine running 900-12,000 rpm for 5000 miles.

I have used Rem oil for a long time on fudd guns but my bolts go dry on ARs and have to be reoiled. This never happens with Mobil 1.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of these wonderlubes cost more than the Aeroshell Fluid 18 that I purchase by the gallon ($38-$44 shipped i think).

I don't understand shelling out $$ for a consumable like this.

Pretty sure Mobil 1 is cheaper
Fluid 18 is an actual weapons lube though.  
I am sure your gun is harder on lube than a 4 cyclinder, overhead cam engine running 900-12,000 rpm for 5000 miles.

I have used Rem oil for a long time on fudd guns but my bolts go dry on ARs and have to be reoiled. This never happens with Mobil 1.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
They have a line of gun lubes now.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried out some of the Lucas stuff. It pretty nice, good and thick and stays where you put it..

Which one? The oil treatment?
They have a line of gun lubes now.  

Royal Purple has some as well
I tried it because I like Royal Purple
but im not qualified to say if its good or not

it works but I dont see much difference compared to say CLP
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For Grease I use Lubriplate SFL-0

For Oil I use Lubriplate FMO-350-AW

OR

I use Mobil 1 synthetic

(depending on what I a using it on)

I also have an old can (1950s era) "GREASE, RIFLE"

For less than $100 (much less) I have a lifetime supply of all the gun lube I will ever need.
View Quote

I do the same; slide rails and bcg gets Lubriplate SFL-0, anything else that needs a little lube gets mobile 1 synthetic. Range bag gets a small bottle of Mobile 1.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a modifed "Ed's Red" recipe..

60% Mobil 1

30% ATF

10% Marvel Mystery oil.  Works great, a quart lasts forever, and seems to make removing fouling much easier.  Maybe just wishful thinking.  At any rate, it's what I use, and it works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

10% Marvel Mystery oil.  Works great, a quart lasts forever, and seems to make removing fouling much easier.  Maybe just wishful thinking.  At any rate, it's what I use, and it works.

View Quote
It's mostly mineral oil, and Stoddard solvent (AKA paint thinner).  Just like WD-40, just in different proportions.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Gun grease on slide rails and charging handles.

Mobile 1 Synthetic on AR BCGs.

Everything else gets a light gun oil.

Don't over-think things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm not really qualified to respond but I'll just say I do like Froglube because it cleans pretty good but I've never used anything that protects as well against corrosion. I like the way it smells too, probably sticking with it for the foreseeable future.  
View Quote

Will never use froglube again, nothing but issues with it and cold weather. It does smell good though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Molybdenum disulphide is very thin too,
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd wager you don't know what MS2 actually is.

I have bags of the stuff on my desk. To compare it to a wet lubricant based on viscosity is silly, considering it is a solid.

And while powder filmed MS2 or TS2 is great for reducing friction, it is useless as a contaminate media, which firearms need.

I also hope you like corrosion. Unless you know what to add to your MS2 to inhibit sulfuric acid production and keep the pH acceptable.

"Thick" and "Thin" has little to do with anything on firearms.  "Thicker is better"   not really.  The correct material properties for the application is better.

You're incorrect. And viscosity is a material property relevant to the application.

You say CLP is thin.   Giant multi-million/ billion dollar defense industry chemical labs with empirical testing say it's just right.

1: The requirement for a wide temperature range (0-140+ degrees ambient conditions) is the driving reason for firearm lubricants to be thin.
2: CLP is hardly the pinnacle of lubricant technology in any way. It's cheap and a decent jack of all trades.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:34:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet: http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't buy into all the hype.  I clean with Hoppes.  Lube with CLP or Remoil.  Never a problem.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
this is from Fireclean's FB page.  Looking at the vent holes on the carrier, you can see what looks like a swipe with a QTip.  That's on Boresight Solution's suppressed SBR.  Ease of cleaning and longevity is ridiculous.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It does not dissolve lead nor copper. Didn't we just agree that's irrelevant?  

It does not protect very well either.  Compared to what?

There are cleaners that clean better than CLP. There are protectents that protect better and lubes that sustain higher flash points.  I've never had CLP "flash" in any application I've used it in.  Why would I care if about that?

It's okay at best.  Everything in engineering is "OK" compared to cost.  What are you claiming does a substantially better job?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DoD =lowest bidder.

CLP does not dissolve metal (copper nor lead)

Here:

http://youtu.be/xrHZL1Of07U
Give me a second, I'll post a YouTube link on CLP vs Ballistol vs Hoppes 9.

Thought we were talking about lube.

I don't really care if CLP doesn't scrub every last iota of fouling out my barrel.  It's good for wiping carbon off BCG parts and running a wet patch down the bore.  Serious cleaning to get rid of jacket material generally involves cat piss-smelling stuff like Sweet's 7.62, and except for my precision bolt gun, I don't clean my rifles that aggressively more than once a year.

As for lead, I have a couple of 1911 that get shot exclusively with No2 alloy cast bullets and cleaned with... CLP!!

Guess what?  Neither has any bore leading to speak of.  Of course, these are tuned loads but still, the bores clean up to a mirror shine with just a few minutes work.

Long story short:  If it cleans substantially better than CLP, it's going to be worthless as a lubricant. If someone wants to claim that something else on the market performs substantially better as a lubricant than CLP, I want to see some kind of experimental data and not a Youtube video.

Did you read my 1st post in this thread? Looks like you didn't.

It does not dissolve lead nor copper. Didn't we just agree that's irrelevant?  

It does not protect very well either.  Compared to what?

There are cleaners that clean better than CLP. There are protectents that protect better and lubes that sustain higher flash points.  I've never had CLP "flash" in any application I've used it in.  Why would I care if about that?

It's okay at best.  Everything in engineering is "OK" compared to cost.  What are you claiming does a substantially better job?

Use what you like.  Just don't expect me to jump on the DragonsBlutSuperTribo5000 bandwagon because they have a neat full page color ad in Guns&Ammo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All lubes work differently, but all lubes have been the same since the 30's, with a small jump in the 60's.
WD-40 works great, so does CLP and other military contract variants, MG'ers lube, so on and so forth.

Funny thing is what many people consider "bad" and "good" is subjective to the purpose of use.  
For instance, many people say WD-40 sucks, yet love hoppes, even though they share a lot of primary ingredients.

A lot of people say Mobile 1 is great because it works in cars that see higher abuse, yet it works in cars VERY differently than a firearm operates.  My rifles don't have oil pumps to use pressure and flow rate to cool, lubricate, and physically force components apart.  On the flip side, dedicated barrier lubricants for firearms can have WAY better chemistry for barrier lube in moving parts, in proportions that engines wouldn't be able to use.

Gun oil has turned into this hilarious pop culture keeping up with the joneses race, when at the end of the day, everything is still the same base materials from the 30's.

View Quote

You posted 200 words and yet didn't make any sense.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:53:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Don't use WD- 40 or any thing that "works great" for a long list of tools, machinery, sewing machines to lawnmowers that ends with "and guns".
View Quote

WD40 sucks donkey balls, it's a lousy excuse for a lubricant.  I refuse to use it on anything.  Mechanic of 40 years experience here.  Kroil works very well as a cleaner, it is not a lubricant.  I generally just use Breakfree CLP as a lube.  I've also tried Slipstream, it's okay.

Breakfree used to advertise an industrial lubricant, they called it PCL.  It works very well around the plant.  I tried to order some a while back, couldn't find the PCL anywhere.  I called up Safariland, the maker, they admitted that PCL was just a marketing ploy; it's the exact same formula as CLP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Been using slip 2000 ewl for years now, I like it because fouling doesn't stick to what's been lubed with it after a couple cycles of shooting/cleaning/relubing.

In fact, I have found I don't need cleaner at all except for the bore solvent to remove copper, the slip removed the powder fouling just fine.

It also makes actions noticeably smoother, things stay lubed longer (I guess it resists burn off)

its a little pricey at 32 bucks a quart but I spend so much damn money on everything else its a trivial price to pay.

oh- I still like CLP due to the aerosol spray, ill spray the outside of guns down with it if I think they are going to be in a corrosive environment, just a lot easier to apply en-mass then slip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet: http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
View Quote
The lubricant recommendations from that article have already been posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#24]
... look into Break-Free CLP

It's good stuff

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:31:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The lubricant recommendations from that article have already been posted in this thread.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but the article goes into much greater detail about why those recommendations were made which may be of interest to some.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:16:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Thought that was a magpul sling,

I have bags of the stuff on my desk. To compare it to a wet lubricant based on viscosity is silly, considering it is a solid.

And while powder filmed MS2 or TS2 is great for reducing friction, it is useless as a contaminate media, which firearms need.

I also hope you like corrosion. Unless you know what to add to your MS2 to inhibit sulfuric acid production and keep the pH acceptable.

You're incorrect. And viscosity is a material property relevant to the application.
1: The requirement for a wide temperature range (0-140+ degrees ambient conditions) is the driving reason for firearm lubricants to be thin.

2: CLP is hardly the pinnacle of lubricant technology in any way. It's cheap and a decent jack of all trades.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thought that was a magpul sling,

I was going to refute a lot of what you've said, because it would be pretty simple.

I was going to make a joke about ms2 being a magpul sling and how I was talking about Mos2, or how the "too thin" CLP works fine on M-16, 240's and other machine guns and has for decades... and passed an insane list of requirements to be adopted, but I just find myself lacking interest at this point.

You have your opinion, the internet can lead to factual data for those who actually care.
For those that DO like to read about stuff like this.

Stuff like this  

Or for those that don't like reading.

MoS

with particle sizes in the range of 1–100 µm is a common dry lubricant.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide#cite_note-13][13][/url]
Few alternatives exist that confer high lubricity and stability at up
to 350 °C in oxidizing environments. Sliding friction tests of MoS

using a pin on disc tester at low loads (0.1–2 N) give friction coefficient values of <0.1.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide#cite_note-14][14][/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide#cite_note-15][15][/url]

MoS

is often a component of blends and composites that require low friction. A variety of oils and greases
are used, because they retain their lubricity even in cases of almost
complete oil loss, thus finding a use in critical applications such as aircraft engines.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:19:33 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I'll simplify it for you.

Oil and lube hasn't changed in 70 years, 90% of oil for guns is marketing.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:29:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oil and lube have changed drastically in 70 years, for the better, and not just weapon lubricants.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What are the main ingredients in CLP types of cleaners, etc., like Breakfree?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Mobil 1 is designed for modern cars with roller tappets and low tension high chrome rings.  And full hydrodynamic lubrication That is filtered.

It isn't designed for total loss, boundary film lubrication.  But if you use enough, it might work in a firearm.

Since the 1990s, API has been working with the automotive manufacturers under pressure from the EPA to make exhaust catalysts have longer lives.  The largest contributors to early failure of catalysts and oxygen sensors are the extreme pressure anti wear additive packages containing zinc and sulfur.  These compounds are beneficial to boundary film lubrication.

If you use domestic ammo, the most wear happens due to extraneous dirt, that which enters the firearm from wind blow or thrown in dust.  Especially fine sand.  No miracle lube will protect against that.  And aside from sear surfaces and locking lugs, most parts in firearms are lightly loaded.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:48:36 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Oil and lube have changed drastically in 70 years, for the better, and not just weapon lubricants.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Synthetic oil and lube has been around since the 30's, Moly lubes are also from the 30's, and as shown in the link I posted in the other response, probably have been in use MUCH longer.  Silicone has been around since the early 1900's but I don't know when is started being used as a lube/ grease.   Bio/ vegetable based lubes have been around since forever.  Ever heard of Castroil? Yep Castor bean oil that was used as an additive (early 1900's as well). PTFE? AKA Teflon?  1938.   Of course stuff like WD40, Hoppes, starret, ballistol are all mineral oil based.  
So, what's changed? What's been drastically improved?

ETA- especially for firearms?  (Hint, one big thing that has changed is the Internet and marketing towards certain target audiences)

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:50:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have converted to Cherry Balmz Ma Duece Juice
View Quote

This, Austin talked a good game and it works for me.
Here is his site, with plenty of theory and SCIENCE.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Synthetic oil, teflon, and light petroleum oils. Depends on the brand.

Here's breakfree;

http://www1.mscdirect.com/MSDS/MSDS00029/77486207-20100925.PDF

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I've been pleased with Froglube on my carry pistols. It is too pricey to convert everything over though.

The smell is nice too. Clean up after a shooting session is pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 7:58:30 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm just saying its a cheap lubricant that's actually labeled as a gun lube. That's all. I don't have a problem with motor oil and guns. I don't think it has the anti-corrosion additive package that's in gun lube thought (as it isn't intended to be used in such a way).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All of these wonderlubes cost more than the Aeroshell Fluid 18 that I purchase by the gallon ($38-$44 shipped i think).

I don't understand shelling out $$ for a consumable like this.

Pretty sure Mobil 1 is cheaper
Fluid 18 is an actual weapons lube though.  

Which means...?
I'm just saying its a cheap lubricant that's actually labeled as a gun lube. That's all. I don't have a problem with motor oil and guns. I don't think it has the anti-corrosion additive package that's in gun lube thought (as it isn't intended to be used in such a way).

This,

It's perfectly fine as lube, however every corrosion test I've ever seen shows many superior products.

On the other hand, I store my guns in a climate controlled environment, not sea spray.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Here's breakfree;

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's breakfree;

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 8:04:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

snip

Thanks for the info.
No worries

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Vagisil
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:04:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Spit seems to work well.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top