Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/27/2015 11:43:09 AM EDT
Okay,

Any chemists or people with general knowledge of the contents of the 'in' lubricants? Everyone is head over heels for FIRECLEAN,
yet just a year or two ago, it was SLIP 2000. I fell into the fad around the Froglube, SLIP 2000. Before that it was Mil Comm or Miltec, several others. I'm sure
there's a more accurate time line, as I only have a small amount of experience. I'm just speaking in general.

Now, I understand the concept of the more popular lubricants being water based, versus petroleum. But what makes (For example) FIRECLEAN better or different
than say, SLIP 2000? Why should I drop that and start using FC?

Basically, what makes FC so much better than everything else right now that's in the same tier? I'm using FC as an example because it's the 'lube to have' now apparently.
Do top industry instructors and the like just shill from one product to the next? Help me out here.

Why?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#1]
All of these wonderlubes cost more than the Aeroshell Fluid 18 that I purchase by the gallon ($38-$44 shipped i think).

I don't understand shelling out $$ for a consumable like this.

EDIT: Looks like you might not be able to get Fluid 18 anymore, but according to the specs Royco 308CA is the same...and cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not really qualified to respond but I'll just say I do like Froglube because it cleans pretty good but I've never used anything that protects as well against corrosion. I like the way it smells too, probably sticking with it for the foreseeable future.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of these wonderlubes cost more than the Aeroshell Fluid 18 that I purchase by the gallon ($38-$44 shipped i think).

View Quote

Pretty sure Mobil 1 is cheaper
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fluid 18 is an actual weapons lube though.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't buy into all the hype.  I clean with Hoppes.  Lube with CLP or Remoil.  Never a problem.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which means...?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:54:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm still using Eezox which was the "in" lube when I first got into AR's, between that and Breakfree CLP I'm sure my guns are fine without the latest greatest lube.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:55:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Tech forums might be a better place to get an answer to this
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I think everyone is on the right track, keep your guns somewhat clean and keep some kind of lube on them and you'll be fine. It's probably mostly personal preference anyway.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sure your gun is harder on lube than a 4 cyclinder, overhead cam engine running 900-12,000 rpm for 5000 miles.

I have used Rem oil for a long time on fudd guns but my bolts go dry on ARs and have to be reoiled. This never happens with Mobil 1.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Been using Tri-Flow for years and years.  Just a good "all around" lube.  

About the only "hyped lube" I bought into was Mobil One.  It works too, and gives me something to do with the 18 ounces left over after I change the oil in my Toyota.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lube is lube.... For heavans sake you can use peanut oil and it will work the same.  The idea that weapon lube is different from any other lube is just crazy.  Lube is intended to lower the friction between two surfaces some have different viscosities\temps they will burn but they all have the same exact purpose.

I use whatever my car uses.  Mobil 1 full syn 10w-30
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Which means...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which means...?
I'm just saying its a cheap lubricant that's actually labeled as a gun lube. That's all. I don't have a problem with motor oil and guns. I don't think it has the anti-corrosion additive package that's in gun lube thought (as it isn't intended to be used in such a way).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
How much lube do you guys go through that it makes a fucking difference?  Buying it by the gallon?!  

I bought a bottle of Breakfree CLP probably five years ago, and I don't know that I've even used half of it.

I shoot twice a month, give or take, and clean every 2-3 months.  Keep it lightly oiled and every one of my rifles runs fine.  Takes a few drops every range trip.

Are you guys like bathing your shit in lube, cleaning it off, and relubing?  This stuff lasts a looooooooong time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#15]
On YouTube, a chemist took very sensitive equipment and measured the cleaning properties of;":

1. Hoppes 9
2. Break free CLP
3. Ballistol.

He measured 3 pieces of lead and copper. Submerged lead and copper sample in a tube surrounded by 1 of the 3 cleaners above.

Hoppes 9 dissolved the most lead and copper. Ballistol dissolved a little and CLP did not dissolve much metal.

He had the vials submerged for 2 weeks soaking in the solutions.

In basic economic terms, when a product excels in 1 area (cleaning, lubing etc) it will not do good another in another application, it's opportunity cost. Logically the active chemical in the lube that lubes or the cleaner that cleans fills up only so much volume in the formula. You add 75% cleaner and 25% lube, your formula will be a better cleaner than lube. vise versa a 25% cleaner and 75% lube will be a better lube than cleaner. A 50/50 is an average cleaner and lube. Not special, does a little of both, okay.

What you want is 100% cleaner of product x and 100% lube/protector in product y.

You cannot have a product be a wonderful cleaner and lube. The more it excels to 1 area, the less it excels to another.

Eezox and slip 2000 EWL are great lubes, but terrible cleaners.

Hoppes 9 is a great cleaner but terrible lube.

To maximize your firearm. You need to clean with the best cleaner and lube with the best lube, that way you get the best of both worlds and none of the worst.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't use WD- 40 or any thing that "works great" for a long list of tools, machinery, sewing machines to lawnmowers that ends with "and guns".
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:09:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been using Tri-Flow for years and years.  Just a good "all around" lube.  

About the only "hyped lube" I bought into was Mobil One.  It works too, and gives me something to do with the 18 ounces left over after I change the oil in my Toyota.
View Quote

Yup, use it one my bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Aw man, I haven't seen a good lube thread in years!  These used to get vicious back in the day

I like Breakfree CLP simply because:

-it works

-the DoD has had more time and funding for objective testing than I will in 7 lifetimes

-a year's supply of it costs less than a steak dinner

Designer lubes may do something better, but I've never quite figured out what.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How much lube do you guys go through that it makes a fucking difference?  Buying it by the gallon?!  

I bought a bottle of Breakfree CLP probably five years ago, and I don't know that I've even used half of it.

I shoot twice a month, give or take, and clean every 2-3 months.  Keep it lightly oiled and every one of my rifles runs fine.  Takes a few drops every range trip.

Are you guys like bathing your shit in lube, cleaning it off, and relubing?  This stuff lasts a looooooooong time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't use enough to save any significant amount of money by switching to something cheaper, and I use CLP for all kinds of other stuff besides firearms.

I'm not stingy with the application, either.  If it doesn't look wet under the dust cover, I'll spritz a bit into the BCG vent holes.

Quoted:
On YouTube, a chemist took very sensitive equipment and measured the cleaning properties of;":

1. Hoppes 9
2. Break free CLP
3. Ballistol.

Not directed at you, but anyone who thinks Hoppes No9 is a lube is pants-on-head stupid
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

1. Hoppes 9

2. Break free CLP

3. Ballistol.

He measured 3 pieces of lead and copper. Submerged lead and copper sample in a tube surrounded by 1 of the 3 cleaners above.

Hoppes 9 dissolved the most lead and copper. Ballistol dissolved a little and CLP did not dissolve much metal.

He had the vials submerged for 2 weeks soaking in the solutions.

In basic economic terms, when a product excels in 1 area (cleaning, lubing etc) it will not do good another in another application, it's opportunity cost. Logically the active chemical in the lube that lubes or the cleaner that cleans fills up only so much volume in the formula. You add 75% cleaner and 25% lube, your formula will be a better cleaner than lube. vise versa a 25% cleaner and 75% lube will be a better lube than cleaner. A 50/50 is an average cleaner and lube.

What you want is 100% cleaner of product x and 100% lube/protector in product y.

You cannot have a product be a wonderful cleaner and lube. The more it excels to 1 area, the less it excels to another.

Eezox and slip 2000 EWL are great lubes, but terrible cleaners.

To maximize your firearm. You need to clean with the best cleaner and lube with the best lube, that way you get the best of both worlds and none of the worst.
View Quote
Fixed for you. Hoppes solvent isn't a lube at all. lol

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:13:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Hoppes No. 9 to clean the barrel, moving parts get sprayed with Birchwood-Casey Gun Scrubber, moving parts then get Hoppes lubricating oil and if the weapon is being stored an extended amount of time, then the barrel gets a shot of Birchwood-Casey Barricade.

If I'm not fully cleaning a weapon, then the moving parts get touched up with some Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I clean with Hoppe's and lube with some Harley Davidson labeled synthetic a friend had left over after changing the oil in his bike.  It was about 8-10 oz and I've had it for years and still have a good bit.
The best all around is Break Free.  If you only want to deal with one that's the way to go, IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Lubricants aren't engineered by tribologists for the gun industry.

Lubricants are engineered by tribologists for aerospace, automotive and industrial applications.

Then a bunch of rednecks read the product flashcards, mix a few nearly random lubricants together, throw some sand and semen in there, repackage it, put a catchy name on it and sell it for ten times as much.

The list of "gun lubes" actually engineered by people with a clue and held to an independent standard for performance and content is short... Pretty much CLP, TW25B and... Yeah that's all I can think of.

Just make life easier and buy lubricants with desirable properties from aviation or automotive and repurpose them for your firearms. It's what these companies do anyway. And by doing it yourself, you actually know what you are getting, instead of wondering if it might be a mix of water, beadblasting media and snot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Aw man, I haven't seen a good lube thread in years!  These used to get vicious back in the day

-it works

-the DoD has had more time and funding for objective testing than I will in 7 lifetimes

View Quote

DoD =lowest bidder.

CLP does not dissolve metal (copper nor lead)

Here:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/xrHZL1Of07U[/youtube]
Give me a second, I'll post a YouTube link on CLP vs Ballistol vs Hoppes 9.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yeah, I don't use enough to save any significant amount of money by switching to something cheaper, and I use CLP for all kinds of other stuff besides firearms.

I'm not stingy with the application, either.  If it doesn't look wet under the dust cover, I'll spritz a bit into the BCG vent holes.

Not directed at you, but anyone who thinks Hoppes No9 is a lube is pants-on-head stupid
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

1. Hoppes 9
2. Break free CLP
3. Ballistol.

Can be temporary....as in a few days. Regardless, you got my point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

DoD =lowest bidder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

-it works

DoD =lowest bidder.

I don't think its supposed to per spec.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-it works

DoD =lowest bidder.

Doesn't sound like a good cleaner to me....maybe a lube. It's also not a very good protectent.

best protectent experiment
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:24:45 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to use clp bc it's what I used on my 240 and m4 when I was in the army. When fire clean came out I tried it. I'll never go back to clp. Unlike clp it doesn't dry up in storage. Or while shooting. You can lube your bcg and it will stay lubed for atleast a month. It's not that expensive and it doesn't have any funky odors. It's a great lubricant.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to use clp bc it's what I used on my 240 and m4 when I was in the army. When fire clean came out I tried it. I'll never go back to clp. Unlike clp it doesn't dry up in storage. Or while shooting. You can lube your bcg and it will stay lubed for atleast a month. It's not that expensive and it doesn't have any funky odors. It's a great lubricant.
View Quote

$15-20 for a 2oz bottle?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I tried out some of the Lucas stuff. It pretty nice, good and thick and stays where you put it..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which doesn't matter.

ETA:  I use a 60/40 mix of Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W-50/ATF.  My quart of each that I bought to mix will probably last my entire life.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#32]

If only there was some sort of internet forum for people who liked AR15s where we could read about the test results of different gun lubes existed somewhere in the universe.  I guess that's just too much to ask.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1626667_Huge_test__46_products__of_gun_cleaning_and_lube_products_.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

DoD =lowest bidder.

Here:

http://youtu.be/xrHZL1Of07U
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-it works

DoD =lowest bidder.

Here:

Thought we were talking about lube.

I don't really care if CLP doesn't scrub every last iota of fouling out my barrel.  It's good for wiping carbon off BCG parts and running a wet patch down the bore.  Serious cleaning to get rid of jacket material generally involves cat piss-smelling stuff like Sweet's 7.62, and except for my precision bolt gun, I don't clean my rifles that aggressively more than once a year.

As for lead, I have a couple of 1911 that get shot exclusively with No2 alloy cast bullets and cleaned with... CLP!!

Guess what?  Neither has any bore leading to speak of.  Of course, these are tuned loads but still, the bores clean up to a mirror shine with just a few minutes work.

Long story short:  If it cleans substantially better than CLP, it's going to be worthless as a lubricant.  If someone wants to claim that something else on the market performs substantially better as a lubricant than CLP, I want to see some kind of experimental data and not a Youtube video.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I tried out some of the Lucas stuff. It pretty nice, good and thick and stays where you put it..
View Quote

Which one? The oil treatment?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a line of gun lubes now.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gun lube.. the dude that owns Lucas is big into machine-guns and got tired of the so so lube that was out (the M2 keep burring off the lube), so he made his own. It looks like a thinner version of the power steering oil they sell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:43:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, but not here
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tech forums might be a better place to get an answer to this
View Quote

bob is the oil guy or check the data sheets if you can find them.

IIRC Remoil is mostly mineral spirits, Rand CLP is sunflower oil.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I have converted to Cherry Balmz Ma Duece Juice
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#40]
I use Breakfree CLP and Slip2K EWL. I lube the guns generously and encounter no problems.

FireClean and Froglube may work but I see no reason to fix what isn't broken.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#41]
I have clp,froglube,slip2000,gunzilla. They all lube about the same. Some last longer than others.  None clean as well as a dedicated bore cleaner like hoppes or such. I just use whatever it needs. I have a shelf of the stuff. Fuck ky jelly probably works good too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I don't really care if CLP doesn't scrub every last iota of fouling out my barrel.  It's good for wiping carbon off BCG parts and running a wet patch down the bore.  Serious cleaning to get rid of jacket material generally involves cat piss-smelling stuff like Sweet's 7.62, and except for my precision bolt gun, I don't clean my rifles that aggressively more than once a year.

As for lead, I have a couple of 1911 that get shot exclusively with No2 alloy cast bullets and cleaned with... CLP!!

Guess what?  Neither has any bore leading to speak of.  Of course, these are tuned loads but still, the bores clean up to a mirror shine with just a few minutes work.

Long story short:  If it cleans substantially better than CLP, it's going to be worthless as a lubricant. If someone wants to claim that something else on the market performs substantially better as a lubricant than CLP, I want to see some kind of experimental data and not a Youtube video.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-it works

DoD =lowest bidder.

Here:

Long story short:  If it cleans substantially better than CLP, it's going to be worthless as a lubricant. If someone wants to claim that something else on the market performs substantially better as a lubricant than CLP, I want to see some kind of experimental data and not a Youtube video.

Did you read my 1st post in this thread? Looks like you didn't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:57:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Then a bunch of rednecks read the product flashcards, mix a few nearly random lubricants together, throw some sand and semen in there, repackage it, put a catchy name on it and sell it for ten times as much.

View Quote

No fucking doubt!

I love it!

Bunch of gun owners trying to become lube scientists.

Hoppe's and motor oil.

Anything else and you're wasting money.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Never had an issue I use whatever synthetic motor oil I have..

Ignore the cheap light it was for shits and giggles
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:29:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

No fucking doubt!

I love it!

Hoppe's and motor oil.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No fucking doubt!

I love it!

Hoppe's and motor oil.

Is there a gun that runs 100% with super lube that starts malfunctioning when switched to Hoppe's and Mobil 1?

Is there a gun that isn't functioning properly when using Hoppe's and Mobil 1, that starts running 100% with a new super lube?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
For Grease I use Lubriplate SFL-0

For Oil I use Lubriplate FMO-350-AW

OR

I use Mobil 1 synthetic

(depending on what I a using it on)

I also have an old can (1950s era) "GREASE, RIFLE"

For less than $100 (much less) I have a lifetime supply of all the gun lube I will ever need.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I've been working through a can of Birchwood Casey Synthetic Oil for years now, with nary a problem.

This gets supplemented with plain jane Hoppes gun oil, when I misplace the synthetic stuff.

Pistol rails get a light coating or Garand grease.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-it works

DoD =lowest bidder.

Here:

If you think lube and cleaning functions should be kept separate, why did you go out of your way to tell me CLP isn't a great cleaner?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I've been working through a can of Birchwood Casey Synthetic Oil for years now, with nary a problem.

This gets supplemented with plain jane Hoppes gun oil, when I misplace the synthetic stuff.

Pistol rails get a light coating or Garand grease.
View Quote

I had a can of Birchwood Casey that rusted from the inside out.  Left a small hole in the bottom of the can and leaked oil all over my cupboard.  After I discovered this I inspected all my weapons that I had previously cleaned and they had a whitish film on them.  I went over them all with Hoppe's after that with no problems.  I just use motor oil now, works great and holds better too. I also like to use high temp bearing grease for certain areas.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

But then the electronics in your sights fail.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top