User Panel

Page / 16
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the ones wanting to not have to pay their share like those before them
View Quote

We all have tickets with a destination of "Off the cliff" and you're saying it's all going to be okay because some of the group got off on an intermediate stop.  The math simply does not support this ride continuing forever so don't be upset at the folks that are merely stating the only inevitable outcome.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Pretty funny to see guys on this site go from "red blooded, conservative American" to " big government, gotta get mine type" in no time flat when it comes to social security.

View Quote

I fucking paid  71/2 Per of my Gross since i was 16 into SS up until I went to work for the Railroad, then it all went to RRB. Now I'm some welfare leech for wanting the money I ACTUALLY MADE AND PAID IN while others draw from it who never worked a day in their life?  

Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

The ones that did this before had the exact same information available to them at the time and just didn't care because the insolvency date was long enough after their lifespan that they just didn't care.  That doesn't make them morally superior for "paying their share".
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I fucking paid  71/2 Per of my Gross since i was 16 into SS up until I went to work for the Railroad, then it all went to RRB. Now I'm some welfare leech for wanting the money I ACTUALLY MADE AND PAID IN while others draw from it who never worked a day in their life?  

Go fuck Yourself, only a windowlicker on GD would accuse people who actually work and pay money into the .gov's idiot programs of being welfare leeches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty funny to see guys on this site go from "red blooded, conservative American" to " big government, gotta get mine type" in no time flat when it comes to social security.

Go fuck Yourself, only a windowlicker on GD would accuse people who actually work and pay money into the .gov's idiot programs of being welfare leeches.

No matter how much you yell and call names it doesn't change the fact that you didn't "pay in" to anything more than a promise from a group of politicians.  There is no account with your name and a pile of money.  There is a stack of IOUs that has to be cashed off the backs of the next round of unwilling investors in the Ponzi scheme.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

TPNI
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No but I would support kicking everyone off that never paid a dime into it.

TPNI
This

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Would the government abolish the 16th Amendment?

If they didn't than if they got rid of Social Security they'd just keep on taxing me only I'd get even less out of the government at the end of the day.  So, would I approve just a straight up less money back from the government without any GUARANTEE that they wouldn't keep taking the same amount or more from me every year? NO FREAKING WAY.

If you think the Feds would go "well, we don't have SS anymore so let's just on our own tax the people less" you haven't been paying attention to D.C. for the last hundred years.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We all have tickets with a destination of "Off the cliff" and you're saying it's all going to be okay because some of the group got off on an intermediate stop.  The math simply does not support this ride continuing forever so don't be upset at the folks that are merely stating the only inevitable outcome.
<a href="http://s325.photobucket.com/user/smlnbndt/media/Forum%20Posts/Reusable/usa_train_crash_zps4qx9jdjs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/smlnbndt/Forum%20Posts/Reusable/usa_train_crash_zps4qx9jdjs.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s325.photobucket.com/user/smlnbndt/media/Forum%20Posts/Reusable/usa_train_crash_zps4qx9jdjs.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/smlnbndt/Forum%20Posts/Reusable/usa_train_crash_zps4qx9jdjs.jpg</a>

Once the Baby Boomers are all gone or they are paid back what was taken with compound interest the argument is moot. The millennial nose pickers are in a tight fix for sure but I highly doubt they would take any responsibility for their parents care out of pocket either. That would cost far more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If they didn't than if they got rid of Social Security they'd just keep on taxing me only I'd get even less out of the government at the end of the day.  So, would I approve just a straight up less money back from the government without any GUARANTEE that they wouldn't keep taking the same amount or more from me every year? NO FREAKING WAY.

If you think the Feds would go "well, we don't have SS anymore so let's just on our own tax the people less" you haven't been paying attention to D.C. for the last hundred years.
View Quote

This is the "Everyone else is looting stores, may as well get a new TV too." angle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Once the Baby Boomers are all gone or they are paid back what was taken with compound interest the argument is moot. The millennial nose pickers are in a tight fix for sure but I highly doubt they would take any responsibility for their parents care out of pocket either. That would cost far more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the argument moot then?  Everyone born after 1965 has been "paying in" just the same as boomers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:11:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is the "Everyone else is looting stores, may as well get a new TV too." angle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You seem genuinely butt hurt, you should call your politicians
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Jokes on the 538 who voted "No want my money" - most of you will get both, keeping it alive and still not seeing shit!

Those of you already collecting, well you fuckers elected the asshats who fucked the system.  You are why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Politicians want nothing to do with the third rail.  Look at how the proposal to partly privatize SS went back in Bush's presidency, and it's because on a generally conservative site like this 34% of the people want to keep it as is even though the end state is a given.

And as for being butt hurt I'm not, I am growing a little tired of telling the emperor that he's not wearing clothes however.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Politicians want nothing to do with the third rail.  Look at how the proposal to partly privatize SS went back in Bush's presidency, and it's because on a generally conservative site like this 34% of the people want to keep it as is even though the end state is a given.

And as for being butt hurt I'm not, I am growing a little tired of telling the emperor that he's not wearing clothes however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SS don't bother me one bit, my parents who are in their 70's paid into it all of their life and I don't feel like I'm any better than them or more entitled. I would actually feel bad trying to get out of paying my share like they did, I'm not a special snowflake like some feel they are.  

The welfare leaches  those that are collecting without paying in is what pisses me off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know...my grandmother survives solely on social security.  She grew up in a time where she was the homemaker and my grandfather was a miner that supported the entire family.  If it goes shut down...what's she supposed to do?  

It's not the best program...but I'm still okay with it.  What we need is more jobs and more people in the workforce being able to pay into it.  With Obongo in place and the economy dwindling away...it makes it too hard.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes and no, they need to come up with a cut off date, who ever is at that cut off and below a certain age stops paying in, who ever is before it gets their amount and if employed keep paying, they did in fact pay into it for decades at that point.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I don't know...my grandmother survives solely on social security.  She grew up in a time where she was the homemaker and my grandfather was a miner that supported the entire family.  If it goes shut down...what's she supposed to do?  

It's not the best program...but I'm still okay with it.  What we need is more jobs and more people in the workforce being able to pay into it.  With Obongo in place and the economy dwindling away...it makes it too hard.  
View Quote

Private charities would take care of her.

Once they weren't paying into Social Security everyone in this thread would just divert their SS withholdings to private charities.

No, they really would.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

She's your family, you figure out what to do with her.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow classy
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yes and no, they need to come up with a cut off date, who ever is at that cut off and below a certain age stops paying in, who ever is before it gets their amount and if employed keep paying, they did in fact pay into it for decades at that point.
View Quote

Except SS doesn't work that way. Without new people paying in there wouldn't be any money to pay the people receiving benefits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
SS don't bother me one bit, my parents who are in their 70's paid into it all of their life and I don't feel like I'm any better than them or more entitled. I would actually feel bad trying to get out of paying my share like they did, I'm not a special snowflake like some feel they are.  

The welfare leaches  those that are collecting without paying in is what pisses me off.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:49:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wow classy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow classy

I'll take care of my family.  Classy is using the barrel of someone else's gun to go rob people to take care of your family.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#22]
My plan to get rid of SS
20 plan

People who would continue to receive payments would receive a percentage of normal payments upon retirement at age 65

65 and retiring this Year 100%

64.                                95%

63.                                90%

And so on down with a loss of 5% per year to 45

A person who is 45 this year would quit paying in and have 20 years to save knowing they will not get ant SS

To continue to fund those who will receive benefits 44 down to 25

44 pays 5% of normal

43         10%

And so on

25 and under would pay normal deductions until everyone is off SS.

Might need some small tweaks.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks like my rough estimate of having paid in $80 K was a little off.

Here are my actual figures from ssa.gov:

For Social Security

Paid by you:

View Quote

$102,029

Paid by your employers:

$105,324

It wouldn't make financial sense for me to agree to forfeit that money in exchange for a 12.4% increase in salary for the rest of my working life.  There is no way I would earn an additional $207 K.  (I'm 57 and plan to have my debts all paid off by about age 65.)

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s325.photobucket.com/user/smlnbndt/media/Forum%20Posts/1Time/usgs_chartSp13f_zpsr9by6avi.png.html" target="_blank">http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/smlnbndt/Forum%20Posts/1Time/usgs_chartSp13f_zpsr9by6avi.png</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s325.photobucket.com/user/smlnbndt/media/Forum%20Posts/1Time/usgs_chartSp13f_zpsr9by6avi.png.html" target="_blank">http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k397/smlnbndt/Forum%20Posts/1Time/usgs_chartSp13f_zpsr9by6avi.png</a>

That's all you have to add
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now I'm some welfare leech for wanting the money I ACTUALLY MADE AND PAID IN
View Quote

They didn't keep your money. They gave it to the people drawing SS at the time you paid in.

You're a welfare leech if you think that makes it alright for others to have to pay for you once you start drawing SS.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck no! I've been paying into it for 35 years!
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

They didn't keep your money. They gave it to the people drawing SS at the time you paid in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not quite.  There is a surplus every year that gets put into Treasury securities.   About 1% is used to cover operating expenses.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Notice how no one has responded to a single one of the suggestions to cut every other FREEBIE benefit program first?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hell no.  

But how about shutting down welfare or at least making work mandatory except for those with PROVEN disabilties.  They can start by fixing up the shitty streets, especially in downtown Atlanta

Notice how no one has responded to a single one of the suggestions to cut every other FREEBIE benefit program first?

The left completely controls the narrative. You WILL talk about SS first, and when SS is eliminated, which will never happen, "we" can then discuss welfare.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not quite.  There is a surplus every year that gets put into Treasury securities.   About 1% is used to cover operating expenses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somebody needs to tell the SS trustees that because their latest report says:
Social Security’s total expenditures have exceeded non-interest income of its combined trust funds since 2010 and the Trustees estimate that Social Security cost will exceed non-interest income throughout the 75-year projection period. The Trustees project that this annual cash-flow deficit will average about $77 billion between 2014 and 2018 before rising steeply as income growth slows to its sustainable trend rate after the economic recovery is complete while the number of beneficiaries continues to grow at a substantially faster rate than the number of covered workers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A chart that shows why you should care seems appropriate to post.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#31]
When FBHO's low life degenerate, "If I had a son", no working FSA, thugs and gangstas, give up their free obammy phones, then we can talk about me giving up my $300+K I've paid in.

SO, I VOTE NO !!!!!!!!!!!!           But WTF do I know; I fart dust and draw a military retirement welfare paycheck in the process.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.
View Quote

This, I'm at 25 years paying into something I may never get back
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The funny thing is that there is another chart on the same page that you sourced that one from that exactly proves his point about welfare and entitlement spending (and shows how much larger it is) that you chose not to post
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The funny thing is that there is another chart on the same page that you sourced that one from that exactly proves his point about welfare and entitlement spending (and shows how much larger it is) that you chose not to post
View Quote

O rly?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/social_security_spending_by_year
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been paying into it for nearly forty years.  Sure, shut it down - give me a few years where I actually get to keep my money and pump it into my own retirement plan.  But pay me the fuck back everything I've paid in, at whatever interest would be reasonable.  Otherwise, you're just stealing from me.  And doing it openly and unapologetically at that.

This bears repeating, a million times over:

YOU'RE NOT PAYING INTO ANYTHING.

It is a tax, nothing more - they take your money to pay people now. That's the way it works; that's the way it always worked. The people paying SS tax now are simply funding the SS payments to qualified recipients now. You do not simply get your money back at some later date, nor was that the EVER the case.

The government admits that it's basically Ponzi scheme, but then says that somehow it's not - and is actually good - because it is compulsory and semi-transparent. Not because of any actual structural differences, just because they force it on you and don't quite completely lie about everything. Yeah, that makes everything all better.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

O rly?

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/social_security_spending_by_year

I can't fault you for that

Both charts are on this page

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/entitlement_spending
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:59:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shhhh that don't fit his narrative.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

It fits just fine.  I'm in the shut down everything that the feds shouldn't be doing in accordance with the Constitution.  I'm not willing to accept demands that other things get fixed first because it's "only" 5+% of GDP.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It fits just fine.  I'm in the shut down everything that the feds shouldn't be doing in accordance with the Constitution.  I'm not willing to accept demands that other things get fixed first because it's "only" 5+% of GDP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in pretty much the same camp ideologically, but just practically there are a lot of other area of wasteful government spending that rank higher on the scale for me.

Also, until you get rid of the other areas of entitlement spending, getting rid of social security would just serve to shift the burden from social security to welfare.  We aren't going to let old people starve and go homeless.  So we really gain nothing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'm not likely to ever see anything I paid in anyway, so I'd rather shut it down and quit paying that social security tax.
View Quote

This

Ideal would be 100% payout prior to shutting it down, but life is not ideal.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

$102,029

Paid by your employers:

$105,324

It wouldn't make financial sense for me to agree to forfeit that money in exchange for a 12.4% increase in salary for the rest of my working life.  There is no way I would earn an additional $207 K.  (I'm 57 and plan to have my debts all paid off by about age 65.)

View All Quotes
Quoted:

For Social Security
Paid by you:

$102,029

Paid by your employers:

$105,324

We're pretty close, but I'm 45 and would happily give up my $2,755/mo. to avoid continuing to pay in.

For Social Security
Paid by you:

$100,703
Paid by your employers:

$105,041
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wow classy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow classy

You should see him in LEO threads.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Absofuckinglutely NOT without some form of compensation. I'm not giving money free to the government. Fuck that noise, and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.

Want to get rid of it? OK. I'm fine with that, however, adjust my future tax liability on withdrawals from my 401k by the amount I contributed in SS taxes.

Another option: Adjust my federal income tax by the amount I contributed.

Simple and win/ win all around.

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Shut it down.
My retirement plan is working until I die.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow classy

I would probably get timeouts for telling him what he is
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you are doing the same with every family member.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No he is full of shit and will gladly accept SS someday like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Few if any of us were even alive when SS was established.
However we are required by law as well as our employer to contribute unless you are classified in some sort of work where the rules are different and you are exempt.
Those people are few compared to the relative numbers that do contribute.
So if you young ones want to change this do your best to change it.
My belief is you won't be able to.
Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any of my close family is welcome to move in if they need to.

But call me the bad guy because I don't think that families should expect everyone to take care of them and theirs.
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top