BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No change
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:50:29 PM EDT
[#2]

What most of GD doesn't know is that lack of a star makes you all our unknowing prey!!!

BTW, for the UC guys we also have a secret ass grab code....

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Here? I've seen quite a few posts by arfcom LEO's that speak highly of their character, seemingly counter to what most GD bashers are looking to film for youtube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've seen some that do nothing but troll, doesn't concern me, I Dont bite.

Here? I've seen quite a few posts by arfcom LEO's that speak highly of their character, seemingly counter to what most GD bashers are looking to film for youtube.

Most people here put on a show, but their demeanor in real life is quite different.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen some that do nothing but troll, doesn't concern me, I Dont bite.
View Quote

youve been here less than a month.  Unless you are a retread ?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
But police agencies COULD get rid of the turds, but they don't.  They actively promote ways to end-run rights when they should be actively protecting them, even from police investigation.  Drug dogs, for one.  Hard pushes for searches when no cause exists, etc.  Even if those things are legal, they aren't morally acceptable and a person with principals who believed in the USC and what america stands for wouldn't use those tactics because they would violate that ideal.  Yet we have plenty of cops who think that it's A-OK to con, to lie, to end-run rights in the name of "whatever it takes" while completely forgetting that every single time that they use those means to an end, they erode what this nation was built on, stands for, and became great due to.
View Quote

So all cops are 100% corrupt and abuse their power or do we only hear about the bad apples that do? Management can also be bad people that give bad cops an environment to thrive in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.
View Quote

You have only been here a few months, how can you base your opinions on a few months?

So easy to spot them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Do their thoughts and statements influence your attitude towards the Civilian Law Enforcement occupation as a whole?

If so, do you feel it is in a positive manner, or a negative manner?

View Quote

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching behind the anonymity of the internet.”

There's a VERY vocal minority of (alleged) cops here whose mission in life appears to be making the general population hate cops.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
It confirmed what I had always believed.

Most are really great guys.

Some are statist boot lickers aka Molon Dental

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
One here they seem the same as on the street.  A portion are super nice guys and then there is the group of power tripping A-holes.  
View Quote

Start a list please, i wanna see
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I was a P.O.S.T certified Officer and worked the job of Law Enforcement Officer for over 15 Years as a sworn officer. I don't care what a LEO post's, they as well as I am entitled to my opinion. Law Enforcement today is a bunch of militarized thugs for the most part with a smattering of good solid Officers. I realize that some here will disagree with me but I could care less, have a great day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No.  I've known plenty about police and the job since I was a kid.

I have garnered much more of a dislike for rabid cop haters though.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:08:22 PM EDT
[#14]
As the son of a former police officer I grew up listening to the stories. I saw the mindset of my father, my Uncle, and that of their friends.  I
see the same mindset in the people who I grew up with that became PO. The same mindset is conveyed here when PO's respond to threads that involve
the police. Not saying it is bad or good, but they all seem to see and respond to posts in the same way, which is in defense of their fellow officer. I do not want to go as far as saying it is an "us against them" but sometimes it seems that way. Obviously having the luxury of seeing events unfold on tape from a different angle while sitting at home under no stress plays a huge roll in how differently we see things.        

No doubt it is a tough job that is mentally taxing. Imagine going to work everyday and having to deal with people under less than favorable circumstances.
The criminals, the everyday people bitching and moaning over the ticket you gave them despite the fact that they were doing 50 in 20 in a school zone.
Now I am well aware that your average office will never discharge their weapon during the course of their career, but when you see some of the officer involved shootouts it definitely gives me pause. How quickly it goes down,  how quickly they have to evaluate and respond, pretty scary.

In summary I like when PO respond to threads because it allows people to gain a little insight into their thinking.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Increased.

I read Second City Cop and True News USA (50% racially nsfw, formerly named Detective Shaved Longcock)  every day.   Comment sections can be fairly illuminating from time to time.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Unchanged - There are good cops and bad cops out there. Some get high on asserting their power while there are thousands that are good officers and care bout their communities and do their jobs with integrity.

Granted I've been in LE for most of my adult life (started as an MP at age 19) and I like to hold myself up to a higher standard when dealing with the public. Having a badge doesn't give me right to be an a-hole, but you deal with a-holes on a daily basis in the course of your shift.

I won't speak for the entire LE community, just for myself; I make myself accountable for my actions and my actions alone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Oh I think it blew that out of the water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't the cops who wanted the icons hidden.

That whole fiasco... were you all just trying to outdo our tank clusterfuck?

Oh I think it blew that out of the water.

Just GET BOTH.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#18]
No change. Police are like the rest of the population. Some of them are remarkable individuals that make a positive impression on those they come in contact with. Some are average and some are complete assholes. Nothing I am going to read here is going to change my opinion of police.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:26:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Not much, if at all.

In the end, they're no different than any other person when it comes to posting on some forum.  For every one that posts something I disagree with, there's another that posts something I agree with.

Like any other profession there are the incompetent, the competent, and the exceptional.

I imagine that being an exceptional LEO is much harder than being an incompetent LEO and that the vast majority are just competent folks doing their best.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Increased.

I read Second City Cop and True News USA (50% racially nsfw, formerly named Detective Shaved Longcock)  every day.   Comment sections can be fairly illuminating from time to time.

View Quote

should not have clicked

Holy shit dude, you actually read that racist bullshit daily
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:53:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Arfcom has not actually been the deciding factor of how I view the police. Aside from a few negative childhood experiences, YouTube has drastically changed my outlook on law enforcement.

I am not as inclined as I was a decade ago to cooperate with police, and I am more willing to exercise what little rights I have left when dealing with them.

ETA: I read this blog a lot as well. It's a collection of news stories about police, security, and school officials shenanigans, good and bad. I think it's actually pretty unbiased.
http://privateofficerbreakingnews.blogspot.com/
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sometimes it's the delivery of the message that makes the difference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Certain LEOs on the forum have made my views of them worse, as well as those who hold their same values. However, in general, after coming to understand various police shootings and such, I've come to have a higher view of LE, and defend them more when accusations of racism and such are spouted. There are particular LEOs on the site, such as Bama-Shooter, of which I have a very high view of due to their beliefs and actions.

Sometimes it's the delivery of the message that makes the difference.

Which involves giving a shit on some level.

Some do, some don't.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How do you know when someone is a LEO on the internet? The same way you know if someone is a vegetarian or do crossfit...they tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you know if an ARFcom member is a police officer?

When we all can see, I'll renew my membership.

How do you know when someone is a LEO on the internet? The same way you know if someone is a vegetarian or do crossfit...they tell you.

LOL.

In defense of LEOs on ARFCOM, I haven't seen any post, "well, I'M a COP so therefore ...blah, blah, blah..."   I have seen some post in threads about police issues referencing their profession.

But I only visit ARFCOM I don't live here so I may have missed some thread topics "WHY I AM A COP AND WHY YOU NEED TO KNOW IT"
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.
View Quote

Exactly how I feel
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
But police agencies COULD get rid of the turds, but they don't.
View Quote

My department fired tons of guys every year.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:27:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On GD?
My opinion of LEOs has decreased greatly reading some of the LEO responses in threads.
I realize the respondents may be a skewed sample, but it gave me a troubling glimpse into the mindset of at least some cops.
View Quote

The opinions expressed here by cops are downright tame compared to some police forums.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#28]
The actions or posts by individuals do not form my opinion of groups as a whole.

Mostly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

Every one of what I would consider "bad cops" have been shit-canned at my Dept.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The opinions expressed here by cops are downright tame compared to some police forums.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

On GD?

My opinion of LEOs has decreased greatly reading some of the LEO responses in threads.

I realize the respondents may be a skewed sample, but it gave me a troubling glimpse into the mindset of at least some cops.

Imagine if they could sit in the break room.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I have a much better understanding of their job, than I did a decade ago.
View Quote
This.

I also understand that anything we post is a representation of the individual posting it, not of some imaginary collective "whole".

No opinion change at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On GD?

Anyone can view the unofficial NYPD page. No sugar coating going on in that forum.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On GD?

It's like sausage. If you enjoy it you prolly shouldnt watch it being made, the same can be said about policework.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#34]
ITT: Confirmation bias.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:43:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Keep in mind that some of those comments are coming from the "good" cops.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

No kidding.

Fuck those guys.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... and was turd free by the time you left?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the hiring standards that would be impossible.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:31:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Do their thoughts and statements influence your attitude towards the Civilian Law Enforcement occupation as a whole?

If so, do you feel it is in a positive manner, or a negative manner?

View Quote

generally in a negative way. Since the refuse to discuss things honestly. fast  to cover for their pals no matter what.  etc. and basically post this smiley as an alinsky tactic.  

So I've lost what respect I had since I've seen them go to great lengths at times with tremendous rationalizations o justify crazy crap.  Its like they have to or something. Its weird.

I am sure they are great guys to have beer with though. Ya know after the beat down and all

I ignore cops threads now because it all so boring at this point.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How do you know if an ARFcom member is a police officer?

When we all can see, I'll renew my membership.
View Quote

So.Much.Butthurt.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#42]
This same question can be applied to many professions on this board.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#43]
No change.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#44]
I knew that cops in general are douchebags before the Internet.

What GD has done for me is the few cops on here that I would agree with and commend, eventually they say shit that is even worse than the trolls and I question the decency of ALL COPS, or dare I say EVERY HUMAN BEING. I think that's the nature of the beast - you sit at a computer typing shit long enough in regards to highly controversial topics, and eventually you're going to cross the line from sounding reasonable and objective to showing your true bias, even more than you would in real life.

Cops tend to forget that they are doing a job that they chose, and off the top that doesn't mean I should respect you for it, and it shouldn't put you above suspicion. If anything, a cop should be slower to use deadly force in a violent encounter - that's a sacrifice. Going to your job everyday is not a sacrifice. I get shit pay for what I do too, it doesn't make it altruistic. Ferguson was a good shoot - screwing up and killing a woman because a dog was going to bite you? That's not a good shoot, and it violates all kinds of basic gun safety rules, and it's bullshit to use the standard of "he was a cop so he's allowed to spray and pray if he's in danger, no consequences". Wearing a badge does not make that catastrophic screw up anything less than manslaughter (that's what a civilian would be charged with for neglecting the basic rules of gun safety), and I have to question a professional that lets their own fear of screwing up and facing consequences ahead of basic moral judgement, or cling to the status quo of letting cops off the hook on bad shit just because they're biased. That's not even considering the gung ho trolls that would trade a kidney for a night stick and the chance to catch Rodney King taking a nap under a tree.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
This same question can be applied to many professions on this board.
View Quote

Except no one gives a shit if you're a landscaper.  Unless your something or other needs trimming.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Extorris and runcible are a good reminder that not all NY cops are power hungry Constitution shitting assholes. Another of the NY cops reminded me that many of them are.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:27:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Extorris and runcible are a good reminder that not all NY cops are power hungry Constitution shitting assholes. Another of the NY cops reminded me that many of them are.
View Quote

Come on....if you're going to talk shit about a guy at least have the balls to actually come out and say it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
No kidding.

Fuck those guys.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

No kidding.

Fuck those guys.

That's what they say. It could be open for discussion I guess.

but it does seem to reenforce the stereotype.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honesty most of Extorris posts both remind me of the fact that there are good guys out there, while somehow enforcing the bad cop stereotype at the same time. It's fucking amazing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:40:52 PM EDT
[#50]
No change.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top