Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/27/2015 2:11:28 AM EDT
Do their thoughts and statements influence your attitude towards the Civilian Law Enforcement occupation as a whole?

If so, do you feel it is in a positive manner, or a negative manner?

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen some that do nothing but troll, doesn't concern me, I Dont bite.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:15:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Here? I've seen quite a few posts by arfcom LEO's that speak highly of their character, seemingly counter to what most GD bashers are looking to film for youtube.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:19:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Here? I've seen quite a few posts by arfcom LEO's that speak highly of their character, seemingly counter to what most GD bashers are looking to film for youtube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everywhere, I Dont bite, doesn't matter to me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:23:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive seen some troll, but I have also seen business owners, computer nerds and mechanics troll so I ignore those ones. Ive seen others act like real humans who I can relate to. That makes me feel better about police.... SO its improved. Although I still don't trust them..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:23:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a much better understanding of their job, than I did a decade ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#7]
No. Some internet badass hiding behind the animosity of a screenname does not change my opinion of LEOs. (The LEOs who troll ARFCOM, not all LEOs on ARFCOM.)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:34:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a much better understanding of their job, than I did a decade ago.
View Quote

The first thing that popped into my mind with that response... now, I'm going to cook a small pizza and watch that movie.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:38:14 AM EDT
[#10]
anybody that pays much attention to most message boards and and blithely forms opinions is not thinking on all cylinders,

Like saying I used to believe that the North won the Civil War but after reading GD, I decided the South never fired on Ft. Sumter and only Northerners ever owned slaves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
anybody that pays much attention to most message boards and and blithely forms opinions is not thinking on all cylinders,

Like saying I used to believe that the North won the Civil War but after reading GD, I decided the South never fired on Ft. Sumter and only Northerners ever owned slaves.
View Quote

That is a terrible analogy. I'm not a wordsmith, by any means... but, man!
Cops post on message boards. I asked if that has changed anyone's opinion on that occupation.
You give me one Civil War era person, presently posting on a message board and you get a life membership, when the LLC opens the 'additional funding' gate.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope. They be trolls.. I'm just glad they don't live in my neck of the woods..
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#13]
How do you know if an ARFcom member is a police officer?

When we all can see, I'll renew my membership.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

How do you know when someone is a LEO on the internet? The same way you know if someone is a vegetarian or do crossfit...they tell you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're going to base your membership renewal on outing cops?

Edit- like Para says, Arfcom cops always show up for gd wrecks anyway......

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#16]
One here they seem the same as on the street.  A portion are super nice guys and then there is the group of power tripping A-holes.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:31:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I take issue with protecting them for their safety. They CHOSE to identify themselves.
Maybe give mil and leo the option of publicly sharing their status or, only outing to fellow mil/leo.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:33:28 AM EDT
[#18]
It just confirms what I always knew about them...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're all named Darren Wilson?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:55:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Sure, the more contact you have with any group of people the more they're going to inform and influence your opinion.

Bama_Shooter is an LEO and I think he comes across as a real solid dude.  There are other LEO's here who come across as solid dudes. How would I as a human being not be impacted by them whatsoever?

Does that mean I will dump my Constitutional rights at a drop of a hat for all LEO? Hell no, but I don't plan to ever be a "prick" to any of them. There is a way you handle things in a firm, but polite manner.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#21]
No.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:28:20 AM EDT
[#22]
It made me realize how truly human cops are. And that we share a similar sense of humor.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:31:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Dealing with cops is like a box of chocolates.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:33:31 AM EDT
[#24]
If seeing LEOs reveal their human side knocks them off their pedestal, you should have gotten out more.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#25]
We have some really great cops and some really shitty cops on arfcom.  If you claim their posts are influencing your opinion of cops as a whole, it's more likely you're only paying attention to the ones who confirm what you already believed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#26]
No....we are all kinds of people here and in the cyber realm some may take on different behaviors.  In real life most LEO exchanges have been positive and they are good people dealing with a lot low lives,  However,  I've had a few experiences and observed the outrageous cover ups to know their are bad apples and too often they are protected.  Be polite, consider the LEO's position and uncertainty of you, and do what you can to diffuse a situation.  Two hot heads with one that can easily apply an unrestricted amount of force is not a good position to be in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If they want you to know, they'll tell you.

Most aren't all that shy about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#28]
No change.

Police are just people. There are good and there are bad, the job does not make the person.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Most of the time, my opinion of LE isn't altered by posts here.

FedDC however is a whole different type.

He is precisely the type the founding fathers revolted against.

Go find the asset forfeiture thread for exhibit A.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#30]
If more cops were like Bama-shooter, I'd have a higher opinion.

However, there are a few guys who are also a little bit power-hungry and way to statist for my taste (who, sadly, outnumber the guys like Bama, who I respect).

the problem is that I don't get to pick which cop I get.  That's why I don't trust them.  It's not because I might get a guy like Bama, it's that I could get one of the statists.  Get rid of the statists and curb police powers back to constitutional (not necessarily what is considered legal today, but what would have been considered legal when constitutionality was actually payed homage to, not use mental gymnastics to get around like is done today.)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I take issue with protecting them for their safety. They CHOSE to identify themselves.
Maybe give mil and leo the option of publicly sharing their status or, only outing to fellow mil/leo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or treat it the same as a tank or any other symbol here, if you don't want to publicise your status, don't get one.  If you want to then do it.  There is no need for secret badges.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
No change.

Police are just people. There are good and there are bad, the job does not make the person.
View Quote

But police agencies COULD get rid of the turds, but they don't.  They actively promote ways to end-run rights when they should be actively protecting them, even from police investigation.  Drug dogs, for one.  Hard pushes for searches when no cause exists, etc.  Even if those things are legal, they aren't morally acceptable and a person with principals who believed in the USC and what america stands for wouldn't use those tactics because they would violate that ideal.  Yet we have plenty of cops who think that it's A-OK to con, to lie, to end-run rights in the name of "whatever it takes" while completely forgetting that every single time that they use those means to an end, they erode what this nation was built on, stands for, and became great due to.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Yes, now I don't feel so very very alone....  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:57:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Most of the cops on here very much improve my perceptions of police.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#35]
It's more or less confirmed what I already suspected.  Both good and bad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:16:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So have I but I've also seen the other side of that coin, probably more often.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So have I but I've also seen the other side of that coin, probably more often.

Yep.  One pro-liberty good guy and one conniving JBT shitbag do not average out to "everything's fine".
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#37]
On GD?

My opinion of LEOs has decreased greatly reading some of the LEO responses in threads.

I realize the respondents may be a skewed sample, but it gave me a troubling glimpse into the mindset of at least some cops.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Hasn't changed my opinion anymore than it has changed my opinion on any other person or profession.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:24:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Haven't really thought about it. but if anything, I'd say it has slightly improved my view of police.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Any individual doesn't change my opinion on the institution.

Come to think about it, I am not even sure I have much of an opinion on law enforcement in general: like life, you never know if the next person you encounter will be a good guy or a douche bag.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

It wasn't the cops who wanted the icons hidden.
View Quote

That whole fiasco... were you all just trying to outdo our tank clusterfuck?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#45]
If it helps (it's not 100% accurate for self-evident and obvious reasons), a great many of the guys I know for a fact are cops also have the firearms instructor badge.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Reports of what they do makes me not trust them as a whole.

Blue line defenders here make me realize how deep that rabbit hole goes. That is, it ain't just one bad apple in the bunch.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Before arfcom I supported police without question, reflexively. After joining arfcom and seeing how LEOs responded to YouTube videos of police abusing their authority and civilians, my opinion began to change. It seems like every shoot is a good shoot, every beat down, every choking or head stomping is good. I began to see that the blue line was very real, and many police have an us vs. them mentality.

My wife has noticed it and often comments about how my attitude toward the police has changed so much. I am still inclined to give LEOs the benefit of the doubt, but I am also more willing to criticize any failure on their part to maintain a very high standard of professional behavior.
View Quote

You haven't been here very long, so you must not have seen us rip bad LEOs apart over the years.  The main problem here now is that hardly a day goes by without an anti-police thread or ten on page one.  Most annoying of all are the ones who watched a few episodes of Cops and think they know "the law" and use-of-force policies for all LE agencies - or they could do our jobs better than we do them.  I worked IA and either cleared, suspended, fired, or prosecuted cops for a living, so I don't need lectures from keyboard commandos about the ills of LEOs.  And in all my time doing so, I realized that virtually all cops are damn good people who do a tough job.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If it helps (it's not 100% accurate for self-evident and obvious reasons), a great many of the guys I know for a fact are cops also have the firearms instructor badge.
View Quote

Hey bro, don't blow our cover.

Nobody had any idea until you had to say something.  I, myself, am deep under cover... Oh wait, my username.

Damn it...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Nobody had any idea until you had to say something.  I, myself, am deep under cover... Oh wait, my username.

Damn it...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn it...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Certain LEOs on the forum have made my views of them worse, as well as those who hold their same values. However, in general, after coming to understand various police shootings and such, I've come to have a higher view of LE, and defend them more when accusations of racism and such are spouted. There are particular LEOs on the site, such as Bama-Shooter, of which I have a very high view of due to their beliefs and actions.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top