Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just had a small build party at my house, cutting out prop-in-the-slot F-22 airframes for full-contact combat

Airframes are about $2 each, plus the price of a carbon rod (or bamboo skewers) for the wing and whatever hot glue you use. Reliable power combo is about $40, $6 servos, cheap pushrods, $8 lipo and a $9 receiver.

I used to sell them receiver-ready for about $75 just to get people into it. When you have 6-8 of them going at it, it's absolute hilarity. The airframes are made of Dollar Tree foamboard, and the design will keep flying with half a wing gone (I've done it many times). After that round is over, chop a roughly equal amount off of the opposite wing and do it again.

It's rare to damage the rest of the equipment but we've had a couple of flukes. I dead centered a friend from the top at full throttle and shattered his ESC, which caught on fire. Then his plane caught the field on fire

ETA: Here's a few Raptors I built

http://s4.postimg.org/p1obdd33g/combat.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...which led us to full contact combat, and building the planes to survive midair collisions.
I just had a small build party at my house, cutting out prop-in-the-slot F-22 airframes for full-contact combat

Airframes are about $2 each, plus the price of a carbon rod (or bamboo skewers) for the wing and whatever hot glue you use. Reliable power combo is about $40, $6 servos, cheap pushrods, $8 lipo and a $9 receiver.

I used to sell them receiver-ready for about $75 just to get people into it. When you have 6-8 of them going at it, it's absolute hilarity. The airframes are made of Dollar Tree foamboard, and the design will keep flying with half a wing gone (I've done it many times). After that round is over, chop a roughly equal amount off of the opposite wing and do it again.

It's rare to damage the rest of the equipment but we've had a couple of flukes. I dead centered a friend from the top at full throttle and shattered his ESC, which caught on fire. Then his plane caught the field on fire

Co2 Powered Full auto Bb guns, designed for battle ship combat.
Modify for weight and size.

Cheap Foam delta wing like you described.
cheap delta wing
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Nah, full-contact combat is more fun, and all you have to do is manage to break one of it's rotors to knock it down.

A Bluecor (FFF) flying wing should do fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So build an RC P-51 with BB guns and shoot it down.

Nah, full-contact combat is more fun, and all you have to do is manage to break one of it's rotors to knock it down.

Yep. A Ritewing doing 120 will turn a quad into little tiny pieces and keep trucking through.

I love flying RC stuff. The proliferation of the DJI quads that pretty much fly themselves kinda bugs me. Not because it brings new people into the hobby, but because it doesn't teach them any sense. I'm skilled enough to fly a scale aerobatic plane using a residential street as a runway. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so. Nor would it be safe or smart to use that same street and residential area to fly and land a scale jet. Quads are a particular problem, because if there's a problem, it's not like you can glide it to a safe place or ditch it away from people.

The first time someone drops one on top of a crowd because of an in-flight malfunction-like a bird strike or a short, everyone's gonna get slapped because of it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I still want a flying lawnmower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWfqVWC2KI
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yep. A Ritewing doing 120 will turn a quad into little tiny pieces and keep trucking through.

I love flying RC stuff. The proliferation of the DJI quads that pretty much fly themselves kinda bugs me. Not because it brings new people into the hobby, but because it doesn't teach them any sense. I'm skilled enough to fly a scale aerobatic plane using a residential street as a runway. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to do so. Nor would it be safe or smart to use that same street and residential area to fly and land a scale jet. Quads are a particular problem, because if there's a problem, it's not like you can glide it to a safe place or ditch it away from people.

The first time someone drops one on top of a crowd because of an in-flight malfunction-like a bird strike or a short, everyone's gonna get slapped because of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So build an RC P-51 with BB guns and shoot it down.

They now have drone parachute systems in case of malfunctions.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vJioUzeFSVI/maxresdefault.jpg

http://www.skycat.pro/

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cheap Foam delta wing like you described.
cheap delta wing
View Quote

Your link has a link to RCGroups (where that guy found the design).

I haven't spent any time on RCGroups, in ages (car wreck in 2005 messed up my neck, and it got difficult to look up, for several years).

-JPN (Justplanenuts)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Bluecor flying wings perform much better in that role, and if properly reinforced, they can take quite a few hits and come away with nothing worse than some scratches.  Of the flying wings, I like the Zagnuts.  It's also fun to fly a Pibros delta against a bunch of people (an every man for himself combat) flying Zagnuts, but I did crazy stuff like move the CG back a lot farther than it was supposed to be, and had control throws set up for close to 60 degrees up and around 45 degrees down (if I took my eyes off of it for a second, it would spin into the ground).  Our rules were simple: you hit the ground, you lose.  Sometimes you had to hit somebody several times, to knock them out of the air.  The guy that cut foam cores for a Meganuts (six and a half foot wingspan Zagnuts), then added OAK spars to the damn thing, and powered it with a Jetii Phasor and 10 cell NiCad pack, was nearly impossible to knock out of the air.

That's old school RC combat.  We tried that with the electrics, but in the days of NiCad packs and speed 400 brushed motors, the planes could barely fly while pulling the ribbons.

...which led us to full contact combat, and building the planes to survive midair collisions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Due to the potential issues putting weapons on an RC, I like the kamikaze plane idea. A guy at work into RC planes says you can build one thats basically a silhouette of a plane for a few bucks.   crash one into creep's more expensive quad and you are winning the quantity over quality war.

Bluecor flying wings perform much better in that role, and if properly reinforced, they can take quite a few hits and come away with nothing worse than some scratches.  Of the flying wings, I like the Zagnuts.  It's also fun to fly a Pibros delta against a bunch of people (an every man for himself combat) flying Zagnuts, but I did crazy stuff like move the CG back a lot farther than it was supposed to be, and had control throws set up for close to 60 degrees up and around 45 degrees down (if I took my eyes off of it for a second, it would spin into the ground).  Our rules were simple: you hit the ground, you lose.  Sometimes you had to hit somebody several times, to knock them out of the air.  The guy that cut foam cores for a Meganuts (six and a half foot wingspan Zagnuts), then added OAK spars to the damn thing, and powered it with a Jetii Phasor and 10 cell NiCad pack, was nearly impossible to knock out of the air.

better yet what if you had  quad with a tear away dangling ribbon to tangle his rotors.

That's old school RC combat.  We tried that with the electrics, but in the days of NiCad packs and speed 400 brushed motors, the planes could barely fly while pulling the ribbons.

The best plane I ever had for full contact combat was an IFO. I could loop it in its own length, I used a brushless outrunner and a propsaver so I could smash it into everything and never break a prop. A Curtek light system with the wires run through drinking straws (to protect them from prop strikes during night combat) and a 2 cell 1300mah lipo. I kept a spare roll of ripstop and rubber cement to patch any major damage, Called it Rasputin-it had been shot with fireworks, stabbed with props, and crashed into a pool and continued to live.

It's the one plane I recommend for anyone who wants to learn how to fly. I crashed it literally hundreds of times, and other people crashed it countless times as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#7]

+

=

fuck you
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have no idea how a falcon would respond to a copter.  That... that might actually work...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So many ways to bring that drone down legally.

They are not cheap, creeper would have to find another job to keep up with his creeper hobby.

What legal ways?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9WY3CKxnUP0YrbXWYM3vqhe4TWi8j7Re1-dbM_1K_rnyYuBZ6

I have no idea how a falcon would respond to a copter.  That... that might actually work...

I've seen birds of prey begin to circle overhead once or twice when flying my Nano CPX. None dove at it, but I have had a couple smaller birds try to chase it away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

How come you can't go within 500 feet of any of the grade schools in your area then??  

KIDDING!  Don't anyone think I'm being serious--I'm just trying to make a funny.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being a creep ain't illegal.

It sure is a huge red flag for those with children though.  Note he isn't just some guy flying his toy around.  He's specifically using it to FOLLOW CHILDREN HOME.  

If his thought processes view that as acceptable, then he is fucked in the head.  Illegal or not, he's fucked up.  

Taking pictures of children in public (not your own) isn't illegal.

Creepy, yes, illegal no.

Photography is not a crime!!!

How come you can't go within 500 feet of any of the grade schools in your area then??  

KIDDING!  Don't anyone think I'm being serious--I'm just trying to make a funny.  

Aimless got me off the list.

I think...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've seen birds of prey begin to circle overhead once or twice when flying my Nano CPX. None dove at it, but I have had a couple smaller birds try to chase it away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So many ways to bring that drone down legally.

They are not cheap, creeper would have to find another job to keep up with his creeper hobby.

What legal ways?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9WY3CKxnUP0YrbXWYM3vqhe4TWi8j7Re1-dbM_1K_rnyYuBZ6

I was flying my Syma X5C-1 up about 60ft+ or so and had some humming birds come right up to it and hover next to it for awhile.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nonsense, misdemeanor at best.
View Quote

Depends oN the cost of those things.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The best plane I ever had for full contact combat was an IFO. I could loop it in its own length, I used a brushless outrunner and a propsaver so I could smash it into everything and never break a prop. A Curtek light system with the wires run through drinking straws (to protect them from prop strikes during night combat) and a 2 cell 1300mah lipo. I kept a spare roll of ripstop and rubber cement to patch any major damage, Called it Rasputin-it had been shot with fireworks, stabbed with props, and crashed into a pool and continued to live.

It's the one plane I recommend for anyone who wants to learn how to fly. I crashed it literally hundreds of times, and other people crashed it countless times as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Due to the potential issues putting weapons on an RC, I like the kamikaze plane idea. A guy at work into RC planes says you can build one thats basically a silhouette of a plane for a few bucks.   crash one into creep's more expensive quad and you are winning the quantity over quality war.

better yet what if you had  quad with a tear away dangling ribbon to tangle his rotors.

Go on...

I have a couple Spektrum transmitters (DX6i and a DX9) and am well-practiced at crashing my tiny RC helis. Full contact RC combat sounds like something right up my alley.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
And no way of knowing whether it's privately owned.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Helps if you can get everybody to build something in the same general weight class.  

I found an old post on RCGroups, listing the drive setup that the guy flying the Meganutz was using.  A direct drive Jeti Phasor 30/3, 9x7 prop, and 10 cell 1900SCR NiCad.  He'd toss that thing in the air, and do a 45 degree climb from launch.  The structure was so overbuilt that it could dive into the ground, with power, and the worst that usually happened was ejecting the battery (Velcro, so nothing broke) and adding some grass stains to the leading edge.  I think at one point he built one with two of those Jeti Phasors, then decided the current draw was shortening his flight times, too much.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And no way of knowing whether it's privately owned.

View Quote

What is the penalty for shooting down a federal drone?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For all the guys talking about shooting down the drones, actually hitting a target moving erratically in 3 dimensions is tougher than you might think. For a few years (twice a year) before I messed up my back, I used to go with a friend to fly aerial targets at the Big Sandy machine gun shoot. We'd build 40 airframes or so, EPS deltas reinforced with packing tape and a spruce spar. They were easy to build, and more importantly, easy to fix. Unless you hit something vital, they just kept on going. Usual cause of death was a hit to a fuel tank. Put a hole in the tank and there wasn't any more pressure to force fuel to the motor, plane stops flying.

Occasionally, we would put packets of a binary agent aboard. Those planes, when they got hit in the money spot were never repairable, so it was usually the planes that had been giving us problems-motors that were getting cranky, planes with wonky servos, that kind of thing. If you're ever in AZ during the time of the shoots (March and October), I highly recommend you go. The firing line is about a quarter mile long and the range extends out to a bit over a thousand yards. MGS (the guys that run the range) are awesome-Ed and Kenton in particular. Anyway-back to planes...

these are the basic blank airframes

took this with a digital camera slung from a GWS Slow Stick. And yes, that tank has a live tube

Plane VS flame thrower at night (video)

Aerial photo platform

Rasputin - aerial combat and general mayhem plane.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Go on...

I have a couple Spektrum transmitters (DX6i and a DX9) and am well-practiced at crashing my tiny RC helis. Full contact RC combat sounds like something right up my alley.
View Quote

3 channels (with elevon mixing on your transmitter) is all you need for combat.

My DX7 was way too much radio for must of the planes I used it with.

ETA: Link to thread with Zagnutz plans in a zip file.
Link to Pibros plans.

The Zagnutz is definitely the easier to fly (and easier to modify) of the two.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is much ado about nothing.

Not exactly a criminal mastermind if he is using some an obnoxious device, that neighbors know is his, to hatch his kidnapping plans.

Sensationalized bullshit.

The kids probably point and wave at it.
View Quote

In the story the man claims he never followed children and he's going to paint his drone so that it is identifiable. The implication being that they may not know who is flying the drone in question.

Further, if the operator doesn't want to be identified, he would have trouble taking legal action if his drone is damaged.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Helps if you can get everybody to build something in the same general weight class.  

I found an old post on RCGroups, listing the drive setup that the guy flying the Meganutz was using.  A direct drive Jeti Phasor 30/3, 9x7 prop, and 10 cell 1900SCR NiCad.  He'd toss that thing in the air, and do a 45 degree climb from launch.  The structure was so overbuilt that it could dive into the ground, with power, and the worst that usually happened was ejecting the battery (Velcro, so nothing broke) and adding some grass stains to the leading edge.  I think at one point he built one with two of those Jeti Phasors, then decided the current draw was shortening his flight times, too much.
View Quote

We usually did combat with whatever we decided we wanted to see smashed. The rules were that if you hit the ground and couldn't immediately take off, you were out for the round. Zagis could smash stuff, but if they started to spin, they were done. The IFO was light enough and had enough control surface that it could bounce off a wall full speed and still recover before it hit the ground if it was more than 15 feet up. Blucor Tensor 4D's were fun too. If you could land on top of your opponent mid air, he was done.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

No rule sepercedes the safety of my kids. None. Fuck your car and your copter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All this bravado and anti-law rhetoric under the guise of protecting children. If people with these views vote R and think that's conservatism, I hope your party drowns in a shallow bathtub and takes their constituents with it.

Advocating beating a man, who was accused by the news media of doing something totally legal, if anything questionable happens to a child in the area? Lol... seriously, reading this thread has turned me from a staunch supporter of conservative viewpoints. appeal to emotion and advocate unlawful behavior because someone does something you dont agree with? You're all a bunch of fucking tyrants.

Whatever . Play with your toy all you want to. Freak my kid out with it and you will be minus it.  When it comes to their safety I will act like a tyrant and whomever doesnt like that may lick my left ball.

Yeah, screw the rules, I'm just going to do what I want and everyone else can deal with it.

Cars coming down the street when my kids want to play in it? Fuck them. I'll shoot the car.  My kids, my rules.

One of these days we're going to turn on the news to see you getting cuffed and stuffed.  Headline will read "Father discharges 12 gauge shotgun at passing vehicle.  Alleged perpetrator claims the driver was looking at his kids funny."
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

no an autonomous vehicle that moves under its own computer/gps is a drone. But lets all be hysterical emotional and make up whatever we want to call things. Please obama regulate this into safety. fucking hypocrites.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So we are still calling them drones
quad/hex copter with a camera is a drone  
no an autonomous vehicle that moves under its own computer/gps is a drone. But lets all be hysterical emotional and make up whatever we want to call things. Please obama regulate this into safety. fucking hypocrites.

DJI has GPS waypoints you can set.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I heard that at least one of the companies making the programmable stuff has created a 'no fly' database for their system.  As it gets closer to an airport, it lowers the maximum altitude that it will allow the system to fly at, getting down to something like 5 feet, when you are next to the airport.  Something was mentioned about eventually making a website where land owners could add their property to the 'no fly' database.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:29:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I was asked to help keep an eye on him, and report anything that I saw, that went beyond what they could already prove.  We only had one car, so I picked the (now)ex-wife up when she got off work.  I usually showed up a half hour or more early, so I had some time.  When they asked me to keep an eye on him, I was warned to not do anything other than observe, since doing anything would make me something other than a witness, if the police were called.

The guy had SEVERE issues with interacting with other people, and may have been mildly mentally retarded.  I watched him dry hump his car door, before he unlocked the door and got in the car.  

He never exposed himself (that I saw), but he frequently had one or both of his hands down the front of his sweatpants.

I reported everything that I observed, to the manager of the library branch.  They never had enough to file any charges, because he never talked to anybody, never touched anybody, and never exposed himself.
View Quote

you were concerned enough to take some sort of action against a suspected pervert, but people in this thread are stupid for being concerned about a suspected pervert....  so either you're also stupid or we aren't so stupid... i can't tell which side you're on here
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

you were concerned enough to take some sort of action against a suspected pervert, but people in this thread are stupid for being concerned about a suspected pervert....  so either you're also stupid or we aren't so stupid... i can't tell which side you're on here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was asked to help keep an eye on him, and report anything that I saw, that went beyond what they could already prove.  We only had one car, so I picked the (now)ex-wife up when she got off work.  I usually showed up a half hour or more early, so I had some time.  When they asked me to keep an eye on him, I was warned to not do anything other than observe, since doing anything would make me something other than a witness, if the police were called.

The guy had SEVERE issues with interacting with other people, and may have been mildly mentally retarded.  I watched him dry hump his car door, before he unlocked the door and got in the car.  

He never exposed himself (that I saw), but he frequently had one or both of his hands down the front of his sweatpants.

I reported everything that I observed, to the manager of the library branch.  They never had enough to file any charges, because he never talked to anybody, never touched anybody, and never exposed himself.

What action did I take?

I was there, anyway, and the library staff asked me to watch him, but cautioned me to do nothing else.  If I had done anything more than watch him, there would be a chance that I could be charged with something, if the police were eventually called.

There have been posts in this thread, indicating people think gunplay is justified.

ETA: To put things in another perspective, there have been threads along the lines of: "you see a guy walking down the street with an AR-15 or AK47, what do you do?",  Answers seem to range from observe his actions, to call the cops.

In the case of the weird guy at the library, I observed.

Do you think I should draw and fire, if I see a guy walking down the street with an AR-15?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's no mention of that in the article and it does say he agreed to stop using it to follow OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before those who will defend this as vociferously as the guy standing naked in his door way every time children pass by.  

I just wonder if he was following his own kid/kids.

There's no mention of that in the article and it does say he agreed to stop using it to follow OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS.

There's no proof that he followed anyone's kids. The article doesn't make that claim.

What we do have is a grandmother paraphrasing what a child of unspecified age allegedly said.

The pilot didn't say he would stop following other people's kids, he said he would choose another time and location to fly his toy and maintained that he wasn't following kids.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem why it freaked parents out is because the drone that he he using (Inpsire1) is freakin scary looking to someone who doesn't know anything about them.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The problem why it freaked parents out is because the drone that he he using (Inpsire1) is freakin scary looking to someone who doesn't know anything about them.

http://d333gi46xmu1md.cloudfront.net/uploads/photos/2015/1/how_to_fly.jpg
View Quote

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Get some Slayers.

I know no one in this video but it is pretty funny.  I've seen really short burning fuses on these and they are lucky.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?
About $3k-$3500, 15ish minutes and probably a couple of pounds without the camera (flight time drops rapidly as you add weight).

My company is probably getting one soon for cheap jobs.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

One of these days we're going to turn on the news to see you getting cuffed and stuffed.  Headline will read "Father discharges 12 gauge shotgun at passing vehicle.  Alleged perpetrator claims the driver was looking at his kids funny."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
All this bravado and anti-law rhetoric under the guise of protecting children. If people with these views vote R and think that's conservatism, I hope your party drowns in a shallow bathtub and takes their constituents with it.

Advocating beating a man, who was accused by the news media of doing something totally legal, if anything questionable happens to a child in the area? Lol... seriously, reading this thread has turned me from a staunch supporter of conservative viewpoints. appeal to emotion and advocate unlawful behavior because someone does something you dont agree with? You're all a bunch of fucking tyrants.

Whatever . Play with your toy all you want to. Freak my kid out with it and you will be minus it.  When it comes to their safety I will act like a tyrant and whomever doesnt like that may lick my left ball.

Yeah, screw the rules, I'm just going to do what I want and everyone else can deal with it.

Cars coming down the street when my kids want to play in it? Fuck them. I'll shoot the car.  My kids, my rules.

Ill bet you it wont.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#31]
This is a fascinating thread.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nonsense, misdemeanor at best.

Yup.   Octocopter with a 1dx hanging from it could easily surpass $10,000.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
About $3k-$3500, 15ish minutes and probably a couple of pounds without the camera (flight time drops rapidly as you add weight).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?

I'll stick with fixed wing, for now.

This discussion ended up reminding me that I've still got a Lanier U-2, still in the box, under my reloading bench (at least that's the last place I remember seeing it).  

Our avionics tech bought one (13 or 14 years ago) and set it up as a 3 channel R/E/T, with a speed 400 and a Zagi prop.  Got pretty good performance out of it, and the only real mod he did to the structure, was to cover the tail and fuselage with (1/2 ounce?) fiberglass cloth and thinned epoxy.

I was planning to take some of the dihedral out of the wing, and go 4 channel (or 5 channel for spoilerons/flaperons), then cover the whole thing with the light fiberglass and add carbon fiber tape for spar caps on the center section.  For some reason, I never got around to ordering the fiberglass.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I heard that at least one of the companies making the programmable stuff has created a 'no fly' database for their system.  As it gets closer to an airport, it lowers the maximum altitude that it will allow the system to fly at, getting down to something like 5 feet, when you are next to the airport.  Something was mentioned about eventually making a website where land owners could add their property to the 'no fly' database.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck with that.   Who wants to buy a crippled drone?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Easy thing to do would be to jam the signal...

highly illegal though I think
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Easy thing to do would be to jam the signal...

highly illegal though I think
View Quote

Yes.   Very illegal.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, but I didn't think the built-in safety locks would go over any better than a lead balloon, with gun owners.  Seems people have been finding ways to remove them.  

If the product is good enough, people will probably live with the 'no fly' feature, or find a patch to disable it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It sure is a huge red flag for those with children though.  Note he isn't just some guy flying his toy around.  He's specifically using it to FOLLOW CHILDREN HOME.  

If his thought processes view that as acceptable, then he is fucked in the head.  Illegal or not, he's fucked up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Being a creep ain't illegal.

The cops told the guy to respect his neighbors privacy and took off as he had broken no law.

He told them that he was practicing for a business venture.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No it's not.  It's an RC quad/hex with a camera.  A drone is autonomous.  SOME controllers support autonomous programming, but I don't believe the NAZA variant in the Phantom (most popular commercial "drone") does.  One of the reasons I won't be getting a Phantom.  :)

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This discussion ended up reminding me that I've still got a Lanier U-2, still in the box, under my reloading bench (at least that's the last place I remember seeing it).  

Our avionics tech bought one (13 or 14 years ago) and set it up as a 3 channel R/E/T, with a speed 400 and a Zagi prop.  Got pretty good performance out of it, and the only real mod he did to the structure, was to cover the tail and fuselage with (1/2 ounce?) fiberglass cloth and thinned epoxy.

I was planning to take some of the dihedral out of the wing, and go 4 channel (or 5 channel for spoilerons/flaperons), then cover the whole thing with the light fiberglass and add carbon fiber tape for spar caps on the center section.  For some reason, I never got around to ordering the fiberglass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?

Good luck. I've hated Lanier ever since my Dart

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No it's not.  It's an RC quad/hex with a camera.  A drone is autonomous.  SOME controllers support autonomous programming, but I don't believe the NAZA variant in the Phantom (most popular commercial "drone") does.  One of the reasons I won't be getting a Phantom.  :)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you guys keep getting the autonomous part?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 2:51:22 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?

A Slow Stick with a a Hacker 20 20L and a 1060  prop  is a fantastic fixed wing platform. I can't think of the company, but there are aftermarket carbon fiber landing gear (with a steerable tailwheel) you can pick up for about 20 bucks-replaces the whole stock hardware set. They changed the stick from 10mm square aluminum tubing to square CF tubing, so if you take a stick of spruce the length of the tube, coat it with 5 minute epoxy or hot glue and stuff it through the tubing, you can substantially reinforce it. I would highly recommend doing so if you're going with the hacker-I whacked the throttle to max and the screw holding the motor mount ripped through the CF, resulting in my motor and prop departing the airframe at a high rate of speed during a vertical climb. I never found it because I was focused on landing the airplane-fortunately the leads from the motor pulled clear of the ESC but didn't pull anything clear of the RX.

Reinforce the wing with string packing tape and you can loft a pretty serious payload, and the more weight you pile on, the more wind you can fly in (oversize blucore control surfaces and the biggest throws you can manage helps), but the more space you need to land. You can take off and climb out nearly vertically, but you need room to park. I saw a video on youtube once of a guy using  one with the stock GWS motor and a nicad pack to lift a red brick.

And if you wad it up, a new kit is only 35 bucks. Great trainer, too. Not with a Hacker on it-that's like stuffing the motor from a Veyron into a Smart Car.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:03:04 AM EDT
[#43]
I wish I understood WTF all that means because it sounds cool.

So you take this.

And after some mods, use it to lift one of these?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:15:35 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Price?

Flight duration?

Payload capacity?

Another decent one to look at is the Walkera Voyager3 which will be out next month. Will have a 4k camera and retractable landing gear. Will be around $2400.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AsEKDpAwsw
If you want heavy payload and long flight durations (45 minutes) check out the Matrix Turbo E quads (a step up over DJI Inspire). Can handle up to 45mph gusts and flys 60+mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNEn0wFl8ho

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Throw a rock at it.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:38:27 AM EDT
[#46]
It's probably just Leonard Embody trying to fight for the rights of other drone owners by fucking them over any way he can, you know just like he's done for gun rights with similar stunts he's pulled.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:48:13 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dunno if you know this but a lot of them CAN operate autonomously.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:54:15 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The vast majority that the general public call "drones" do not.

< Professional UAV pilot/operator for my last two jobs. None of us (at least that I've been around or worked with) use the term to describe our stuff.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm not getting some people's response to this news and their irrational fear of quadcopters.  

First off I don't own one or plan to.  I could care less if others own one.  It's not like the sky is infested with them and I've seen a few fly around.

Why would I care less?  Well what can it do?  So it has a camera.  So does everybody with a cell phone.  So some guy is following the kids.  I'd bet the kids thought it was cool.  Are the kids going to disrobe on their way from school?  Is this some intel gathering for a coordinated pedo assault?  I mean what will happen?  So the quadcopter has a camera.  So does every bank, store, asshole with a phone, some cars with dash cams, cop cars, it goes on.  And I hope it does have a camera so whomever is flying can see where they are going.  Whatever it will spy on you doing, you are doing it outdoors in public anyways.

Is it creepy?  What makes it creepy?  If you are that paranoid, never let your kids out of the house.  Ever!

So why the hate?

Just like the government irrational fear of what a terrorist will do with it.  Like what can a terrorist do with it?  It can't carry a large bomb.  an RC place or chopper possesses the same risk and they've been flying those for a better part of a half century.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 4:13:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I'm not getting some people's response to this news and their irrational fear of quadcopters.  

First off I don't own one or plan to.  I could care less if others own one.  It's not like the sky is infested with them and I've seen a few fly around.

Why would I care less?  Well what can it do?  So it has a camera.  So does everybody with a cell phone.  So some guy is following the kids.  I'd bet the kids thought it was cool.  Are the kids going to disrobe on their way from school?  Is this some intel gathering for a coordinated pedo assault?  I mean what will happen?  So the quadcopter has a camera.  So does every bank, store, asshole with a phone, some cars with dash cams, cop cars, it goes on.  And I hope it does have a camera so whomever is flying can see where they are going.  Whatever it will spy on you doing, you are doing it outdoors in public anyways.

Is it creepy?  What makes it creepy?  If you are that paranoid, never let your kids out of the house.  Ever!

So why the hate?

Just like the government irrational fear of what a terrorist will do with it.  Like what can a terrorist do with it?  It can't carry a large bomb.  an RC place or chopper possesses the same risk and they've been flying those for a better part of a half century.
View Quote
They're relatively new and still scary

I have full-scale planes flying over my house all the time and I guarantee some of them have cameras. Plus they can look down and see me with their EYES! It's surveillance I tell you. There ought to be a law

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top