User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 3/25/2015 7:16:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
So put your money where your mouth is and short it.

You'll make a killing.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
"you ain't seen bad yet but it's coming"

2015!

ETA: There will always be downturns, my investing horizon is long enough to just keep putting money in the market, regardless of timing

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:25:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

2015!
View Quote

... balanced diverse investments and moderation, WTF else are you gonna do?

No. Stuffed mattresses don't count
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
lol you put quite a lot of time into this thread.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure it will.  I hear this shit every year from another schmuck who has "it figured out".  Every. Single Year.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Inverse ETFs are a remarkably "safe" way to short the market.  Much better than actually shorting or buying a put option (which only lasts a limited time frame).

View Quote

The longer an inverse ETF is held, the less likely it is to track the inverse of its chosen index.

So, I can't see it as "safe", other than in the short term.

If  you are correct in your timing, the 2x and 3x time inverse ETFs will provide better returns, but you have to be correct in that timing.

The safest approach would seem to be buying a put, but not necessarily the most rewarding.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
OP should know better than to post negative stock market things in GD. Everyone in GD maxes out their 401k and has $3,000,000 saved for retirement already.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sure it will.  I hear this shit every year from another schmuck who has "it figured out".  Every. Single Year.
View Quote

Eventually, one of those schmucks will be right.

You can make your fortune while waiting for that to happen though.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Inverse ETFs are a remarkably "safe" way to short the market.  Much better than actually shorting or buying a put option (which only lasts a limited time frame).

Even if you only put $5000 in one, you could gain up to 10x that amount on a large crash.

Then flip around and put it in at the bottom and it grows more.

View Quote

Short term
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2015!

Hedge. I sold my sole position in VTI today at open and bought UVXE to a lesser extent. Actually hedging would have been to hold VTI and buy UVXE but I'm going all cash (except 100% equity in my TSP) until the market digests when and what the the rate hike will do.

Also durable goods came in negative this morning and several economist (fed, morgan Stanley, MLynch) revised their Q1 GDP forecast to either negative or less than one percent (also happened Q1 of last year fyi).

But what I sold isn't chump change and I do this for a living ....... Sort of, senior analyst for a bond portfolio

Oh a 40-50% drop would be something .....
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#14]
So what is your specific strategy and how are you poised to take advantage of the crash?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

so what you're saying is that sometimes people making these predictions are....right? Did you post a similarly vapid response in 2008? or 1999? or 1987?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You'll make a killing.
View Quote

Neck beard the shit outta that thing.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#18]
not this shit again.

Please show me where the excess is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#19]
My predictions are another 2008 correction.  Not a crash.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#20]
OP - typical of trolls, no solutions, just fear mongering
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

so what you're saying is that sometimes people making these predictions are....right? Did you post a similarly vapid response in 2008? or 1999? or 1987?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you want to talk about odds, you'd fare far better looking at it the other way.  They are way more often wrong than right.  But yes, i guess if you keep saying somethings going to happen over and over, it eventually will....mathematically speaking.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:44:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Moar gold for me...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Hedge. I sold my sole position in VTI today at open and bought UVXE to a lesser extent. Actually hedging would have been to hold VTI and buy UVXE but I'm going all cash (except 100% equity in my TSP) until the market digests when and what the the rate hike will do.

Also durable goods came in negative this morning and several economist (fed, morgan Stanley, MLynch) revised their Q1 GDP forecast to either negative or less than one percent (also happened Q1 of last year fyi).

But what I sold isn't chump change and I do this for a living ....... Sort of, senior analyst for a bond portfolio

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2015!

UVXY?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Reset coming....
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Solution has been posted.

Many people are keeping a larger percentage than normal of their accounts in cash.  Maybe 25%.

Why not put 1-2% in a inverse ETF?  Then when the market goes down, it goes up, and you have even more capital to put in at the bottom.

ETA:  or puts or shorts, but as I said, an ETF might be better for a small amount of money.  No infinite risk and no *poof* it's gone.
View Quote

Data is old, I bet since everyone is scared to shit over rate hikes a lot of positions have been covered, depending on what instrument it went into.  Interesting chart:

http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dshort/charts/markets/nyse-margin-debt.html?NYSE-investor-credit-SPX-since-1980.gif
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Many people are keeping a larger percentage than normal of their accounts in cash.  Maybe 25%.

Why not put 1-2% in a inverse ETF?  Then when the market goes down, it goes up, and you have even more capital to put in at the bottom.

ETA:  or puts or shorts, but as I said, an ETF might be better for a small amount of money.  No infinite risk and no *poof* it's gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which have you done?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Concur with LuckyDucky.  Either late this year or sometime early in 2016.  

Egon von Greyerz thinks the derivative bubble will burst soon. http://kingworldnews.com/worldwide-markets-to-see-total-panic-as-massive-derivatives-bubble-implodes/.

We were supposed to have crashed in 2008 but that's been delayed. This delay didn't fix the problem but only exacerbated it.  The Too Big To Fail of 2008 are even bigger than before.   The problem has only gotten bigger and folks are kidding themselves if they think there's been a recovery.  49 million on EBTs, our new hidden form of the soup kitchen.  Over 93 million unemployed Americans.  What recovery?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Is your prediction only for the US market or also for the European market

I have been following the German market and it has been on a massive up swing and it should also be due to a correction.

any thoughts
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:04:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:If you want to talk about odds, you'd fare far better looking at it the other way.  They are way more often wrong than right.  But yes, i guess if you keep saying somethings going to happen over and over, it eventually will....mathematically speaking.
View Quote

exactly. Regardless of the circumstances, bull markets do not last forever. It's never happened. Will the correction occur this year? I have no idea. Doesn't matter to me. When the market tanks, I just buy more. The fact remains, a correction is coming. Just a matter of time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:04:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Can't tell from my posts?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So which have you done?

Can't tell from my posts?

No, given your high level of conviction that route doesn't make sense.  I can see why you might recommend it to others who don't feel as strongly as you do
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Even if you only put $5000 in one, you could gain up to 10x that amount on a large crash.

View Quote
IF there's any capital LEFT with which  to pay your  paper returns.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Safe is not the best word since if your timing is of you are screwed. But ETFs are a good way to make money.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:06:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

What if you put some of your money in an inverse ETF at market peaks keeping the rest only invested at market peaks?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

What if you put some of your money in an inverse ETF at market peaks keeping the rest only invested at market peaks?

The trick would be knowing those peaks and if you could predict that accurately why would you only do some of your money?

People that try to time the market make less than people that cost average it. I don't have the ego to think I know better than the movers and shakers that drive the market. I am comfortable riding the wave and making money without gambling.

The point is that every time we have one of these doom and gloom threads, say once a month to be conservative, there are always a few deciding to go cash and a bunch more that say that the market is rigged so they don't participate. The link shows an absolute worse case scenario and it still made the "guy" a millionaire.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Based on the demographic data, worldwide, although not all exactly in sync.  But other than that, I haven't looked specifically at any other markets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is your prediction only for the US market or also for the European market

I have been following the German market and it has been on a massive up swing and it should also be due to a correction.

any thoughts

Based on the demographic data, worldwide, although not all exactly in sync.  But other than that, I haven't looked specifically at any other markets.

thanks for the reply

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Prepare for Y2.016K. Buy toilet paper, canned food, generators and water barrels while you can!
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#44]
It was about time for the annual stock market meltdown thread. Keep trying, one of these days you chicken littles will get some disaster right.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You'll make a killing.
View Quote

SPNI.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:36:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#47]
It will be set off by the republicans winning the white house by the liberal communist and done on purpose.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#49]
you know, i was gonna come in here and call busllshit, but you have charts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top