Very well said.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, that is a harsh but accurate view of moral relativism

And here's where your silly theory falls apart. I don't believe in god. No heaven, no hell, no easter bunny, ghosts or leprechauns. I treat people well because I posess something called empathy. It means that I can recognize when another person is in pain-either emotional or physical. It's part of the reason you cringe instinctively when you see someone on youtube take a bowling ball to the nuts. You empathize. Sociopaths and psychopaths don't posess empathy. They don't recognize pain (or joy) in other people. It has nothing to do with religion.

The whole atheist/moral relativism argument is idiotic and irrelevant. Someone who adheres to every tenet of Christianity but is a sociopath would be wholly unmoved by watching someone run over by a bus. They might mimic to fit in, but they wouldn't actually feel anything. Someone who is a particularly empathetic atheist who doesn't give a shit about the bible might be emotionally crushed by that same incident.

Very well said.

Not really. The existence or absence of empathy may explain human behavior, but it still does not define the "rightness" or "wrongness" of an action. Empathy still requires the use of moral objectivism. Whether or not someone is able to empathize with another human being may dictate their reaction to the plight of another human being but that is where it ends. Empathy gets thrown around a lot by atheists as the purpose for morality, but really all you are doing is attempting to build a bridge between relativism and objectivism. The two ideas are irreconcilable.

In practice, one does not look at Adam Lanza and say "wow, that guy really lacks empathy." No, you call him out for the evil bastard he was. This isn't just a cultural practice, its the way the human mind works.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Phil should learn the difference between atheism and nihilism, bless his heart.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

So what is "right and wrong" to you?

Do you just make it up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him and fuck his fagot god

Just because someone doesn't believe in a god doesn't mean they don't believe in right and wrong. Fuck him.

Do you just make it up?

LOL It's not rocket science. I try and treat people how I want to be treated. Leading a good, honest life is just as rewarding for the person leading it as it is for others. You lie, cheat, steal, or do fucked up shit, and it's gonna come back on you. I don't need a sky wizard to understand that.

I'm agnostic and in all reality would LOVE to have faith. I just can't believe in something I have no evidence of. I also don't have evidence of there NOT being a god. I'm not going to make a religion out of that either.

I get fucking sick and goddamned tired of assholes imposing their beliefs on everyone else. I file them in the same section as loudmouth gays, crossfitters, PITA types, vegetarians, and other pretentious types. Piss off
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:28:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LOL It's not rocket science. I try and treat people how I want to be treated. Leading a good, honest life is just as rewarding for the person leading it as it is for others. You lie, cheat, steal, or do fucked up shit, and it's gonna come back on you. I don't need a sky wizard to understand that.

I'm agnostic and in all reality would LOVE to have faith. I just can't believe in something I have no evidence of. I also don't have evidence of there NOT being a god. I'm not going to make a religion out of that either.

I get fucking sick and goddamned tired of assholes imposing their beliefs on everyone else. I file them in the same section as loudmouth gays, crossfitters, PITA types, vegetarians, and other pretentious types. Piss off
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because someone doesn't believe in a god doesn't mean they don't believe in right and wrong. Fuck him.

Do you just make it up?

So you make it up still? Whatever suits you and makes you feel good and rewarded?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet that cervantes44 wasn't a championship winning receiver either.

http://i.imgur.com/OTxwM8Y.jpg

What's the point?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I can't say what I think this deserves so I won't, but I like how an ex drunk/druggie feels they are now the hand of God.  

No joke.

Know what the difference between Phil Robertson and I is, besides the fact that he is religious and I am not?

I was never a drunk or a druggie.

Also, you were never first string quarterback ahead of Terry Bradshaw who was second string quarterback.

I'd be willing to bet that cervantes44 wasn't a championship winning receiver either.

http://i.imgur.com/OTxwM8Y.jpg

What's the point?

Now thats funny.  

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So you make it up still? Whatever suits you and makes you feel good and rewarded?
View Quote

Why so surprised? It's what you do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If God, Heaven and Hell, did not exist and life was meaningless I'd live for the moment.

If Jesus did not die on the cross and left man hopeless and lost.............

Life is short, live for now. Do whatever makes you feel good. Screw everyone else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So the only reason you do the right things instead of the wrong things is fear of repercussions in the afterlife? Seems like a dick move.

Nope. I'm not perfect.

I do get my sense of right and wrong from what God says because He makes the rules. His law is the law. 10 Commandments and all.

How would you live your life if the 10 Commandments didn't exist?

If God, Heaven and Hell, did not exist and life was meaningless I'd live for the moment.

If Jesus did not die on the cross and left man hopeless and lost.............

Life is short, live for now. Do whatever makes you feel good. Screw everyone else.

Yikes.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he had to have someone make it up for him.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:35:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quack, Quack,Quack,Quack,Quack,Quack,
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Being a sociopath or Pyshcopath (for most people) is just as much a choice as believeing in any one of the thousands of gods man has invented as the avatars and arbiters of social heteronomics. In many instances in the past people name themselves gods.

sociopathy can be normalized in civizations. It is in ours to a lesser degree then past times. Next time you watch TV, think about the disconnect from reality required to get lost in what you are seeing.

PS I have never seen an episode of duck dynasty.
View Quote

Sociopathy isn't a choice. Acting to harm people as a sociopath is a choice. There are tons of perfectly functional sociopaths-politicians, businessmen, even doctors.

As to "getting lost in what I'm seeing" on TV, at no point do I disassociate from reality. Not really sure what you mean by the blue bit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:36:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what he tells himself. But I don't think he really believes it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thankfully he has a work of fiction to bind him 'morally'...
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you just make it up?

Everything man knows, MAN "made up." All modern advances in technology were "made up." Are they as trivial as your tone would suggest?

A free society is nothing more than separate individuals pursuing their own separate interests. Once this can be acknowledged, society can move forward in a truly free manner. Altruism does NOT exist. You seek your god for YOUR salvation, not someone else's.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sociopathy isn't a choice. Acting to harm people as a sociopath is a choice. There are tons of perfectly functional sociopaths-politicians, businessmen, even doctors.

As to "getting lost in what I'm seeing" on TV, at no point do I disassociate from reality. Not really sure what you mean by the blue bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Being a sociopath or Pyshcopath (for most people) is just as much a choice as believeing in any one of the thousands of gods man has invented as the avatars and arbiters of social heteronomics. In many instances in the past people name themselves gods.

sociopathy can be normalized in civizations. It is in ours to a lesser degree then past times. Next time you watch TV, think about the disconnect from reality required to get lost in what you are seeing.

Red: sure it is. In the past whole civilzations took part in ritual canabalism. They watched people get torn to pieces for fun. they mutilated themselves in terrible ways.

Blue: so you set there watching people pretend to do stuff in front of a blue screen in rediculous outfits for fun, knowing all the while that what you are watching is absurd? how can you stand it?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Lol.  I love Phil.  He's a wise old man.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got spam mailed by Phil earlier this week. Apparently he also wrote The Bible, which was something of a surprise.

http://g.christianbook.com/dg/product/cbd/f400/016400.jpg

Phil is a businessman who makes a lot of money selling duck calls, Phil is also a businessman who makes a lot of money selling Christianity, he knows saying shit about homosexuals and atheists appeals to the buck toothed tards who will buy his coloring book Bible, he's just trolling to peddle McBibles

View Quote

It seems to work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So a guy feels a way about something?

Why are we supposed to care?
View Quote

Because it hurt someones tender feelings.

I wonder how many took what he said in context?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I got spam mailed by Phil earlier this week. Apparently he also wrote The Bible, which was something of a surprise.

Phil is a businessman who makes a lot of money selling duck calls, Phil is also a businessman who makes a lot of money selling Christianity, he knows saying shit about homosexuals and atheists appeals to the buck toothed tards who will buy his coloring book Bible, he's just trolling to peddle McBibles to suckers

View Quote

Yep. It's am image that's made them millionaires.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:43:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So where do atheists get their "morals" from?

I get mine from God and what He says in the Bible.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But not necessarily Atheism. Shocking to some, but an Atheist can be moral.

So where do atheists get their "morals" from?

I get mine from God and what He says in the Bible.

Not sure if serious.....
I was born with the basic ability to differentiate between good and bad. If I hit my brother and he cried, I felt horrible so I knew I'd never want to feel like that again. I also vividly remember trying to lie to my dad and my voice got all squeaky/weird so I knew it was wrong.

Also, my parents were very deeply moral people (atheists) and a child tends to pattern what they observe. I'd no sooner harm another human being (unless in self defense) than I would cut my own arm off. YMMV

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:43:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The people who like him will still like him, people who don't still won't.

But his logic is pretty stupid.  Atheist don't believe there isn't a right or wrong, they just don't believe in a god.
View Quote

But what if it were legal?  I've made this point quite a bit.  You either get your morals from God, or man.  There is no other choice.  God's moral code is unwavering.  Man's moral code sways with political winds and changes throughout time.  One only needs to look at the topic of abortion or gay marriage to see that I'm right.  Hey, as long as it's legal

ETA.....And to say that he's under fire would imply that he gives a shit what anybody thinks.  He obviously doesn't
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#25]
The atheist in question goes to beer bong tournaments a lot. He roofies his teammates and then butt rapes them.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#26]
There is nothing like a GD religious thread to remind me that the world is full of fucking crazies.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
It is hard for me to imagine a reality of the golden rule when all the people I see in positions of power are narcissists who do not believe that the rules apply to them.  Too many people believe that they are entitled to do onto others because that's what other's would do onto them - if they could.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The "boys" are definitely "McRednecks" playing a role.    edit not that there is anything wrong that that. I am sure everyone knows their TV show is just scripted skits. I watched it for awhile before I got bored with it

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Phil is a businessman who makes a lot of money selling duck calls, Phil is also a businessman who makes a lot of money selling Christianity, he knows saying shit about homosexuals and atheists appeals to the buck toothed tards who will buy his coloring book Bible, he's just trolling to peddle McBibles to suckers

Yep. It's am image that's made them millionaires.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-6eJr6zXvbTM/Ur5EIp0iyuI/AAAAAAAAIOw/q_S-tXmNcW4/s1600/beardlessRobertsons.jpg
The "boys" are definitely "McRednecks" playing a role.    edit not that there is anything wrong that that. I am sure everyone knows their TV show is just scripted skits. I watched it for awhile before I got bored with it

I think a lot of their supporters are unaware of that.  There are still tons of people who watch reality tv like it's real.  

These jokers are faker than Kim Kardashian and that's pretty fake.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I have no interest in reading all 4 pages.  I'm just here to say it's hilarious that some people think you can't believe in right or wrong without believing in god.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not really. The existence or absence of empathy may explain human behavior, but it still does not define the "rightness" or "wrongness" of an action. Empathy still requires the use of moral objectivism. Whether or not someone is able to empathize with another human being may dictate their reaction to the plight of another human being but that is where it ends. Empathy gets thrown around a lot by atheists as the purpose for morality, but really all you are doing is attempting to build a bridge between relativism and objectivism. The two ideas are irreconcilable.

In practice, one does not look at Adam Lanza and say "wow, that guy really lacks empathy." No, you call him out for the evil bastard he was. This isn't just a cultural practice, its the way the human mind works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And here's where your silly theory falls apart. I don't believe in god. No heaven, no hell, no easter bunny, ghosts or leprechauns. I treat people well because I posess something called empathy. It means that I can recognize when another person is in pain-either emotional or physical. It's part of the reason you cringe instinctively when you see someone on youtube take a bowling ball to the nuts. You empathize. Sociopaths and psychopaths don't posess empathy. They don't recognize pain (or joy) in other people. It has nothing to do with religion.

The whole atheist/moral relativism argument is idiotic and irrelevant. Someone who adheres to every tenet of Christianity but is a sociopath would be wholly unmoved by watching someone run over by a bus. They might mimic to fit in, but they wouldn't actually feel anything. Someone who is a particularly empathetic atheist who doesn't give a shit about the bible might be emotionally crushed by that same incident.

Very well said.

No, Lanza was a psychopath. As for right and wrong, If you cause harm to someone-steal, beat, imprison unjustly, murder, rape, Those are wrong. If you help someone out, treat others fairly, do unto others as you would have them do unto you (fantastic book of parables), you are doing right. If the state says that you should steal, beat, imprison unjustly, murder and rape, then you are following an incorrect morality. That is why the government shouldn't regulate morality beyond the basic "don't be a fucking dick" rules. The Nazi party instilled a faulty and wrong morality.

If you're a Christian, live by the rules of your religion-they're pretty much "don't be a dick" rules. Surprisingly, when everyone follows the basic tenets of "don't be a dick," things run pretty smooth. When one side or the other decides that the government (a big, dumb, blunt object) needs to enforce tenets of their particular rules that go beyond "don't be a dick," on other people who are happily not being a dick but aren't doing all the things the more rules people want, feces hits the rotary impeller and then the whole "don't be a dick" ideology goes down the toilet.

Prohibition was an example of people deciding to enforce their ideology on everyone, violating the "don't be a dick" rule and giving us things like the NFA.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I view it as this ALL people were created by God. In that forming of us he instilled
His Morals in us, and most NORMAL people have morals (weather believers or not).

Now sadly among us we have broken people who lack Morals and worse.....

The issue comes in when those broken people produce more
broken people then more people tell them the way they act is normal.

From the short clip I heard it sounds that he is showing an example of the condition people are falling into.
Believers in general (though we have more than our far share who do not live what they profess)
do tend to have a guide (the Bible) and live by the Two commandments.

Many on the side of the atheist (NOT ALL) have no guide other than their "Feelings" of what is right or wrong.

As a Christian I will openly admit Many Times my Desires and Feelings many times do not line up with Gods guidelines.
If I want on my feelings and what I believed in what was right and fair it would be far different for many assholes in this world.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
There are still openings on the Duck Commander cruise if the thought of all that greasy, grey beard hair plugging up the ship's pools and floating across the buffet line doesn't make you queasy

http://www.duckcommandercruise.com/#

View Quote

Carnival is already the Wal-Mart of the seas, wait until those guys and their followers get on a boat together.
It's nice that they are letting them make monthly payments on the tickets.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Larry the Cable Guy is fake too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think a lot of their supporters are unaware of that.  There are still tons of people who watch reality tv like it's real.  

These jokers are faker than Kim Kardashian and that's pretty fake.

Larry the Cable Guy is fake too.
And FPS Russia.  They're all fake.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#36]
That's real retarded.

I'm an atheist. There is still right and wrong.

I don't need a god to tell me murderers and rapists should be executed.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. I don't make up what is right and wrong.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah you do. You don't think you do, but you do.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Didn't this retard speak at a recent Republican convention?

Could've booked Bill Whittle, or Glenn Reynolds, or Andrew Klavan, or Ben Shapiro, or Billy Johnson. NOPE. Let's book the barely literate bearded religious fucknut. Why anyone thought this moron should be a conservative spokesman is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He's not gay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck him.

He's not gay.

If the guy "driving" is an atheist, does it matter?

He's just having fun.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That's real retarded.

View Quote

Did you take what he said in context?

Did you listen to it?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tha fuck?
View Quote

Maybe he decided he could use a vacation?

He's certainly looking to get whatever network they're on to rethink keeping them on.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But their are folks who enjoy assaulting other folks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's pretty easy, really. I don't like being stolen from, so I don't steal. I don't like being assaulted so I don't attack people. I have to imagine that being kidnapped or raped or murdered or getting my house burned down would all be things that i wouldn't care for, so I don't do them to other people.

But their are folks who enjoy assaulting other folks.

Indeed there are.  Some of those people follow through on those desires - despite one higher power (the law) telling them that they should not, and possibly another higher power (if they're religious) telling them the same.  People who want something badly enough will tell themselves anything in order to justify what they want to do.

On the other side of the coin, there are people who wish to commit evil acts who are restrained by the thought of one or both of these higher powers.  I never said that religion plays no part in morality, I've merely explained why religion isn't the sole source of moral behavior, nor its final arbiter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Phil Robertson is sick in the head
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Red: sure it is. In the past whole civilzations took part in ritual canabalism. They watched people get torn to pieces for fun. they mutilated themselves in terrible ways.

Blue: so you set there watching people pretend to do stuff in front of a blue screen in rediculous outfits for fun, knowing all the while that what you are watching is absurd? how can you stand it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, I get it. Sociopathy is an actual phsycological condition, not a societal condition. Cannibalism is a social act.

As to the blue, now that you've clarified, I can enjoy the story for what it is. And I usually prefer books. Though I'm still not sure what TV has to do with anything. The term you're looking for is "suspended disbelief," and that's why you can read a work of fiction or watch an episode of Fringe or Vikings or whatever your show of choice is and for a little while, you can enjoy the story, knowing the whole time that it's completely fictitious.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:04:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's real retarded.

View Quote

But you don't have the death penalty in Great Britain
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Uh oh. We found another one of Aimless' triggers. lol
View Quote

I would have clapped at your comment, but I did a silent jazz hands instead.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The people who like him will still like him, people who don't still won't.

But his logic is pretty stupid.  Atheist don't believe there isn't a right or wrong, they just don't believe in a god.
View Quote

Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top