Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I understand.  I only meant it as a "mental exercise" for an Atheist.  When I see Atheists say how "cruel and horrible" etc, etc God is, I always think that an ant would think the same thing about a human.

If God is Who the Bible says He is, then His ways are far above what we could ever think or understand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me ask you guys a question:  Have you ever considered that if God is Who the Bible says He is, then your protests would be like an ant protesting that he has looked at a human genius and decided that he thinks that human's actions are "cruel, mean, horrible, and unfair"?

Just as an ant cannot possible understand even a small part of what a human is and thinks, you and I cannot possibly understand an Infinite Creator, and our protests are as silly as the ant's.

Have you considered this?

Even though I have, the problem is your fundamental bias is completely unattached to anything requiring that I do so.

I understand.  I only meant it as a "mental exercise" for an Atheist.  When I see Atheists say how "cruel and horrible" etc, etc God is, I always think that an ant would think the same thing about a human.

If God is Who the Bible says He is, then His ways are far above what we could ever think or understand.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me ask you guys a question:  Have you ever considered that if God is Who the Bible says He is, then your protests would be like an ant protesting that he has looked at a human genius and decided that he thinks that human's actions are "cruel, mean, horrible, and unfair"?

Just as an ant cannot possible understand even a small part of what a human is and thinks, you and I cannot possibly understand an Infinite Creator, and our protests are as silly as the ant's.

Even though I have, the problem is your fundamental bias is completely unattached to anything requiring that I do so.

And that ant would be absolutely correct.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No they wouldn't.  The ant would not even begin to understand the arguments.  It could not even comprehend what the human was doing.  Just as you cannot possibly understand or comprehend what God is thinking or doing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No they wouldn't.  The ant would not even begin to understand the arguments.  It could not even comprehend what the human was doing.  Just as you cannot possibly understand or comprehend what God is thinking or doing.

So... someone stepping on and killing an ant on the sidewalk for no reason is okay because the human is smarter than the ant?  

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So... someone stepping on and killing an ant on the sidewalk for no reason is okay because the human is smarter than the ant?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you notice an insect on the ground, do you stop to consider it a fool? The life of an insect is so beneath you that it would be a waste of your time to even consider judging it. That would be an accurate summation on God's feelings towards humans.

And no, I'm not being serious.  That's a quote from a cartoon.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

When you notice an insect on the ground, do you stop to consider it a fool? The life of an insect is so beneath you that it would be a waste of your time to even consider judging it. That would be an accurate summation on God's feelings towards humans.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm reminded of the Outer Limits episode, The Sand Kings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandkings

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 7:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do people step on ants for no reason?  Because they are assholes.  Why does God (being in control of everything) let bad things happen to his people for no reason (like stepping on them for no reason)?  

But, just as the ant can't comprehend the human mind, the human can't comprehend God's mind, right?  Your analogy is flawed is all I'm saying.

ETA:  I was trying to quote O_P's response to me, but this is what I was referencing.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In God's case, it is called a Sovereign God, the Creator of the entire universe, Who has the right to rule it as He pleases. And He doesn't need your approval or permission.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What's it called when it's one all powerful guy in charge of everything that tells everybody what they're supposed to do upon pain of eternal torment?

In God's case, it is called a Sovereign God, the Creator of the entire universe, Who has the right to rule it as He pleases. And He doesn't need your approval or permission.
He has the right, but that doesn't make him moral.

And anyone, including humans, can point out immoral tyranny, cruelty, and evil in his actions.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is why people who claim to know what religion is correct, what interpretation of the scripture is correct, or what god thinks is moral or not are completely full of shit.

You don't know any of these things, you're simply stating a fallible human opinion, that is no different than anyone else's.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:12:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

What about the thousands of other creator gods? Odin, Prometheus, Brahma, Quetzalcoatl? Do they rule the universe as a committee? Take turns? Arm wrestle over who to smite?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And anyone, including humans, can point out immoral tyranny, cruelty, and evil in his actions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's it called when it's one all powerful guy in charge of everything that tells everybody what they're supposed to do upon pain of eternal torment?

Euthyphro? Is that you?

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which is why people who claim to know what religion is correct, what interpretation of the scripture is correct, or what god thinks is moral or not are completely full of shit.

You don't know any of these things, you're simply stating a fallible human opinion, that is no different than anyone else's.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He'sRightYouKnow.jpg
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would someone think something they don't believe in is "cruel and horrible"?  Now if they said that some of the people in the bible and their justifications for doing some things were "cruel and horrible", that would make sense.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why would someone think something they don't believe in is "cruel and horrible"?  Now if they said that some of the people in the bible and their justifications for doing some things were "cruel and horrible", that would make sense.
View Quote

You don't think Sauron was an asshole for wanting to burn down the Shire? In the same way, Yahweh's creation of flawed beings for the sake of torturing them is also a dick move.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:49:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You don't think Sauron was an asshole for wanting to burn down the Shire? In the same way, Yahweh's creation of flawed beings for the sake of torturing them is also a dick move.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the people in the book doing bad things to other people are assholes,  but since god is as real as sauron, I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:51:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
No different than yours.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No different than yours.

Right. Which is why I make no claims about "what is definitely true about god, the universe, or morality".
However, I can easily make definite claims about logic.
If someone says "god is too complex, you can't understand him", and then they turn around and tell you there is exactly 1 way to interpret god, and every other way is wrong, I know, with certainty, that they are wrong about one of those claims.

Anyone who claims to know that god is too complex to understand should be willing to amid that for reasons sufficiently complex for god, he is perfectly capable of leading multiple groups of people to believe there is only 1 true religion.

Doing so wouldn't be illogical, or immoral (as people have said), if it is truly what god wants and thinks is best.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

See - this is where you fail. You think you're stating the "absurdity of the stories" as an absolute truth, but that's not the case. You somehow seem to think yourself as someone who is the arbiter of what's correct and what's not, glibly dismissing what *I* believe.

Sorry - that's not how it works. My belief is just as valid as yours. You can dismiss beliefs only for yourself - not for others; you are no more moral, reasoned, correct, etc. than I am.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing against the validity of the bible. I don't need to. I don't buy it, and that's that. I'm just starting the absurdity of the stories.

See - this is where you fail. You think you're stating the "absurdity of the stories" as an absolute truth, but that's not the case. You somehow seem to think yourself as someone who is the arbiter of what's correct and what's not, glibly dismissing what *I* believe.

Sorry - that's not how it works. My belief is just as valid as yours. You can dismiss beliefs only for yourself - not for others; you are no more moral, reasoned, correct, etc. than I am.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#23]
So many logical fallacies in this thread I'm just going to post this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

MrsCheShirt just made me watch that this weekend.  Good episode, but now I need to track down the short story since it's apparently far more grim.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before the butt hurt atheists

View Quote

only atheists should be butthurt?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wow, someone took the time to compile 850 strawmen.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not valid when it comes to personal beliefs which can't be proved or disproved either way.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And just to be clear, I'm not arguing against the validity of the bible. I don't need to. I don't buy it, and that's that. I'm just starting the absurdity of the stories.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” - Isaac Asimov

Not valid when it comes to personal beliefs which can't be proved or disproved either way.

But if we agreed to that, GD would wither on the vine and die.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:04:29 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not strawmen judging from this thread every remotely religious thread in GD.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes, of course I have.

But I have had an encounter with the Jesus of the Bible.  He came into my heart and has assured me that He is just who the Bible says He is.  I could no more deny that He is God than I could deny that I am me.

Jesus has proven Himself to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure.

Have you considered the same about other religions that you considered to be false?

So it comes down to not only having faith... but having faith in the correct non-falsifiable religion.

Sounds like cosmic roulette.

Yes, of course I have.

But I have had an encounter with the Jesus of the Bible.  He came into my heart and has assured me that He is just who the Bible says He is.  I could no more deny that He is God than I could deny that I am me.

Jesus has proven Himself to me.

Lucky! ...Just think, if he would do this with everyone, then nobody would have to suffer for eternity!

Too bad he doesn't feel like it for some reason. 'Mysterious ways,' am I right?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolute truth? Nope. Just an observation and statement of my opinion. No failure there.

And in my opinion, a story where a supposedly all-knowing, all-powerful, benevolent creator makes such a mess of things is absurd. Killing children to get your way when you have infinite power at your disposal is absurd, cruel, unjust, and evil.

And no...I can dismiss your beliefs. It might not mean anything to you that I can dismiss beliefs as silly and irrational, but it isn't about you.

No hard feelings, though. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Some Christians have difficulty understanding how morals and ethics can even exist with an atheist.....
View Quote

If the atheist says "if it feels good, and I can get away with it, then it's "right", does that make it right?  Moral?  

Atheists have no moral compass.  There is no 10 commandments of atheism that all atheists agree on.

And without any moral compass, anything goes.  

When an atheist says "I'm a moral atheist", the atheist is really saying nothing, because the atheist is the one deciding what's moral and what's not.

But the worst thing about atheists is that when man does not have a God, he tends to create one, and the God of atheists more often than not is Government, and as would be expected, most liberals are atheists, so are most communists.  

Atheists are just bad news imho.    

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

If the atheist says "if it feels good, and I can get away with it, then it's "right", does that make it right?  Moral?  

Atheists have no moral compass.  There is no 10 commandments of atheism that all atheists agree on.

When an atheist says "I'm a moral atheist", the atheist is really saying nothing, because the atheist is the one deciding what's moral and what's not.

But the worst thing about atheists is that when man does not have a God, he tends to create one, and the God of atheists more often than not is Government, and as would be expected, most liberals are atheists, so are most communists.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Some Christians have difficulty understanding how morals and ethics can even exist with an atheist.....

It's like you've distilled all that's wrong with the last 22 pages into one post.

*high five*

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:24 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, no one is claiming that, sorry for your strawman.

Theists have no moral compass as far as I can tell. Divine command morality means they are completely unable to judge the morality of any new situation proposed to them.  There are no universal set of rules that all theists agree on.

When a theist says "I'm a moral xyz religion" they are really saying nothing, since there is not set of morality that all people of that religion agree on, and its theist choosing which interpretation of which parts of the religion he wants, and which ones he doesn't.

And the worst thing about a man that does have a god is he tends to pretend that god supports every little tyrannical thing that he wants to do, usually through the force of government.

Theists are just bad news IMHO.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

you say atheist make up their god, as if christians don't do that very thing.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

that's how it's done
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have. About 16 years ago, a former coworker and I had a very similar discussion. I was saved shortly after and my life has since been better in every way.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:33:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, the "all beliefs are equal" argument. That bum on the corner and Einstein? Equally valid beliefs about physics. Talking snakes and gravity? Equally valid beliefs.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/03/joker.gif

that's how it's done

I'm sure you'll love my equally valid reply, which shows how bad theists are in comparison.

I'd say, worse than atheists.

Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I haven't followed this whole mess of a thread but Phil Robertson for President doesn't sound too bad to me...
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

only love,

maximum love,

for all humanity,

forever.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I haven't followed this whole mess of a thread but Phil Robertson for President doesn't sound too bad to me...
View Quote

ayy lmao
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm sure you'll love my equally valid reply, which shows how bad theists are in comparison.

I'd say, worse than atheists.

View Quote

As you may have had occasion to notice, we're much of the same turn of mind on this topic

I just think in his case, you need to read between the lines, it's as if (as troubleshooter called it) he is "distilling" 22 pages of derp in one post, which is a high indicator of that elusive forum animal ... sarcasm
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

1) You surely can dismiss my opinion, but you don't get to claim that I'm inferior to you because I have a different opinion.
2) No hard feelings here either. You have your opinion, I have mine.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolute truth? Nope. Just an observation and statement of my opinion. No failure there.

And in my opinion, a story where a supposedly all-knowing, all-powerful, benevolent creator makes such a mess of things is absurd. Killing children to get your way when you have infinite power at your disposal is absurd, cruel, unjust, and evil.

And no...I can dismiss your beliefs. It might not mean anything to you that I can dismiss beliefs as silly and irrational, but it isn't about you.

No hard feelings, though. Just my opinion.

1) You surely can dismiss my opinion, but you don't get to claim that I'm inferior to you because I have a different opinion.
2) No hard feelings here either. You have your opinion, I have mine.

Never meant to imply that you are inferior. Sorry if it came across that way. Nothing wrong with differing opinions
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

lol

bless your heart.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:48:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Theists have no moral compass as far as I can tell. Divine command morality means they are completely unable to judge the morality of any new situation proposed to them.  There are no universal set of rules that all theists agree on.

When a theist says "I'm a moral xyz religion" they are really saying nothing, since there is not set of morality that all people of that religion agree on, and its theist choosing which interpretation of which parts of the religion he wants, and which ones he doesn't.

And the worst thing about a man that does have a god is he tends to pretend that god supports every little tyrannical thing that he wants to do, usually through the force of government.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow ANY established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code.  Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right?  I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, you're just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow any established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code. Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, your just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)
View Quote

But religious people do the same thing. They have made up a moral code that makes them feel good, then gave themselves selective amnesia and pretend the moral code from god, so they feel even gooder about having an absolute and superior moral code, a moral mandate from Heaven itself.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But religious people do the same thing. They have made up a moral code that makes them feel good, then gave themselves selective amnesia and pretend the moral code from god, so they feel even gooder about having an absolute and superior moral code, a moral mandate from Heaven itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But people decide to be Christians and part of that decision is deciding that they agree with the 10 commandments as their moral compass.  They could just as well have decided to follow the moral compass of Buddhism.  But an atheist choses not to follow any established moral code.  He makes it up to suit himself.   Imagine a world of nothing but atheists, all of them making up their own moral code. Many would have a moral code of if it feels good do it, if it doesn't feel good don't do it.  If they feel like having their way with a woman, who are you to tell them not to?  What right do you have to impose your morals on them?  You all just make up whatever morals you want right? I wouldn't be so down on atheists if you would organize and come up with some kind of recognized moral code.  Until then, your just a bunch of Godless barbarians.  Not that there's anything wrong with that:)

Works for me.  

Now if an Atheist was to tell me they follow the 10 commandments as their moral code, but they just don't believe in God, then I might be OK with that.
What I have a hard time with are the majority of atheists who say they make up their own morality as they go and then insist that they are just as moral as
I am.  Really?  You can't all agree on a single moral code but you are all equally moral?
Page / 25
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top