User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All that does is illustrate how hollow the US economy truly is.

Welcome to the service economy, where we make hardly anything useful and just trade the same bullshit back and forth like some weird game of three card monte.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Service based economy with the accompanying low pay scales means people aren't able to save
You basically need a middle class or higher income to save any substantial amount of money
A few years ago when the economy tanked and people were saving  bit more than usual the gov't was blaming part of the malaise on people saving more and not spending their cash

If the majority of Americans were financially frugal this country would be in a permanent recession. Our economy is consumption based. Quit buying things you really don't need and the economy stalls.

Welcome to the service economy, where we make hardly anything useful and just trade the same bullshit back and forth like some weird game of three card monte.

Page 6 ?
Well put!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#2]
So, I probably shouldn't have just renewed my gold membership here?  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:28:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Over half of arf are Millionaires though.  Something aint adding up
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Millionaire in what sense?
In debt a million or ...
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:50:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Rich is a state of mind
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

In debt a million or ...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In debt a million or ...

$30,000/yr millionaires.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Trillionaire here, but it's all Zimbabwean.   Thank you Robert Mugabe for making this possible.  You only ph*cked up the bread basket of Africa doing it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Americans are the most marketed to group in all of human history
View Quote

Osaka, Japan:

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Wut? Saving money is fo suckas
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:14:05 AM EDT
[#10]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Osaka, Japan:

http://f.fwallpapers.com/images/osaka-cityscape-japan.jpg

It has more to do with culture than marketing.

The boomers are to blame.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Osaka, Japan:

http://f.fwallpapers.com/images/osaka-cityscape-japan.jpg

LOL Until you've seen Japanese students throwing out bikes and TVs at the end of the semester, since there will be new models next semester, you haven't seen "most marketed".
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well if you put money in the bank then later need.....$5K for a used pick-up or car the banks are encouraged to call 911 on your ass.

Here again we see the doctrine on unintended consequences kicking in. As with guns so it goes with money. The more the .gov tries to control it the less people have in the bank....either from a general shit economy or people no longer trusting their financial institutions.

Personally I think people who have lots of money in the bank will come to regret it one day when our government kleptocracy goes full Cyprus on their ass.
View Quote

MY THINKING EXACTLY.   The precedent has been set now for this since Cyprus.  

Right now I have a savings account with low six-figures in it, as well as a couple of checking accounts at different credit unions.  

I am getting near retirement and hope to take that money out of the bank and pay cash for a retirement home.  

I hope to do this BEFORE a Cyprus-like event occurs.  

I know.  It's a gamble.  

But what isn't a gamble these days?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Over half of America is living off of the government.

Why would they bother saving anything?
View Quote

AND Barry Soetoro (or whoever he really is) wants that to be 100 percent with government acting as a big sugar daddy and controlling people's lives "for their own good" of course.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't save anything.  I keep enough in savings to cover 4 mos or so of living expenses and any potential capital calls that I might have in the next yr.  besides that everything gets invested asap.  If you have a lot of cash laying around for no specific reason, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

MY THINKING EXACTLY. The precedent has been set now for this since Cyprus.

Right now I have a savings account with low six-figures in it, as well as a couple of checking accounts at different credit unions.

I am getting near retirement and hope to take that money out of the bank and pay cash for a retirement home.

I know. It's a gamble.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well if you put money in the bank then later need.....$5K for a used pick-up or car the banks are encouraged to call 911 on your ass.

Here again we see the doctrine on unintended consequences kicking in. As with guns so it goes with money. The more the .gov tries to control it the less people have in the bank....either from a general shit economy or people no longer trusting their financial institutions.

Personally I think people who have lots of money in the bank will come to regret it one day when our government kleptocracy goes full Cyprus on their ass.

I know. It's a gamble.

I think fears of a Cyprus style haircut in America are overblown.  I think it is much more likely .gov will encourage QE and raise money through deficit spending for years to come.  Their is much less back lash in deflating the dollar and as long as the dollar is the world reserve currency they can keep doing it for awhile.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
GD just had a thread the other day talking shit about Tiny Houses and asking everyone to list the square footage of their homes.

I don't think your message is going to resonate very well here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone is trying to keep up with the Jone's but for all the wrong things. The real competition shouldn't be how big of a house you could get but how small.

GD just had a thread the other day talking shit about Tiny Houses and asking everyone to list the square footage of their homes.

I don't know anyone who gets stuff to "keep up with the jones". They get nice stuff because they want nice stuff.

Tiny houses are stupid. They might work for urban people close to amenities but who wants to be dependent on those kinds of things to do laundry, cook, recreation . . .

I remember when I lived in "tiny houses" or shacks, whatever you want to call them. It sucked. I like being able to do my laundry at home, being able to store tools and stuff to fix things, being able to store food so I don't have to run to the store every day to get something.

If I have to stay cooped up in the house for any length of time - I love it!! I have an entire wall of books, projects to do, a yard to sit in and watch birds. The last time I had a staycation (that's where you take time off work but don't go anywhere) I don't think I left the house the entire time.

Along with my ample 2K foot house I have a yard big enough for my dogs, chickens, and a garden. Since I'm older, and get quality things, I don't really have to shop for much. I have tools that will last, canning stuff that will last, I already got my guns and ammo, plus any replacement parts so my firearm shopping is pretty much over. I use airgun and pellet guns to practice - in my yard.

It's funny to read the gnashing of teeth about "keeping up with the jones" from a forum that is always asking about which firearm part to spend their spare thousands on. Or complaining because they can't shoot thousands of rounds of ammo every month.

Not saying people shouldn't do it, just pointing out that there is a lot of "keeping up with the jones" right here on GD.

I've seen the price of "tiny houses" and they cost a lot more than my older dated, but amply sized ranch style house.

There are nice affordable reasonably sized houses but for some reason people would rather get something new than something used and fix it up.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I think fears of a Cyprus style haircut in America are overblown. I think it is much more likely .gov will encourage QE and raise money through deficit spending for years to come. Their is much less back lash in deflating the dollar and as long as the dollar is the world reserve currency they can keep doing it for awhile.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know. It's a gamble.

I think fears of a Cyprus style haircut in America are overblown. I think it is much more likely .gov will encourage QE and raise money through deficit spending for years to come. Their is much less back lash in deflating the dollar and as long as the dollar is the world reserve currency they can keep doing it for awhile.

I've kind of come to that conclusion as well. The new normal, world wide, is to raise debt limits and kick the can down the road. Our road is longer, so we can kick it down further.

I think there will be other changes, lower standard of living, world wide unrest, which will lead to logistical problems and result in localized food and water shortages or some such thing.

It will be taken in stride, people already forget what life in this country used to be like. Not only that, they are brainwashed into thinking it was so bad that women, black folks, and teh ghey were hung from trees on every corner.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I don't save anything.  I keep enough in savings to cover 4 mos or so of living expenses and any potential capital calls that I might have in the next yr.  besides that everything gets invested asap.  If you have a lot of cash laying around for no specific reason, you are doing it wrong.
View Quote

I'm doing it wrong. What are some good investments?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tiny houses are stupid. They might work for urban people close to amenities but who wants to be dependent on those kinds of things to do laundry, cook, recreation . . .

I remember when I lived in "tiny houses" or shacks, whatever you want to call them. It sucked. I like being able to do my laundry at home, being able to store tools and stuff to fix things, being able to store food so I don't have to run to the store every day to get something.

If I have to stay cooped up in the house for any length of time - I love it!! I have an entire wall of books, projects to do, a yard to sit in and watch birds. The last time I had a staycation (that's where you take time off work but don't go anywhere) I don't think I left the house the entire time.

Along with my ample 2K foot house I have a yard big enough for my dogs, chickens, and a garden. Since I'm older, and get quality things, I don't really have to shop for much. I have tools that will last, canning stuff that will last, I already got my guns and ammo, plus any replacement parts so my firearm shopping is pretty much over. I use airgun and pellet guns to practice - in my yard.
View Quote

this is the thread for you:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1734399_ITT__we_shake_our_fist_at_the_tiny_house_movement_and_provide_the_square_footage_of_our_homes.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

first, the book referenced at the bottom of this post:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1732334_Doomers__Stock_Market_Crash_before_the_end_of_2016.html&page=3#i52775566

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1734399_ITT__we_shake_our_fist_at_the_tiny_house_movement_and_provide_the_square_footage_of_our_homes.html

ar-jedi

I already read and posted in that thread.

I come from proud hoarding stock, a product of the depression. You can't hoard in a tiny house.

Actually I could be pretty comfortable in a nice singlewide, and have been in the past. I have more stuff now and would need a nice barn. Actually I would need two nice barns, one for storage of household goods and one for the chickens and tractor and stuff.

I'll just make do with what I have now. I can see me getting something smaller after I retire though. Mostly because I want to move to Bft SC and the cost of living is a lot higher there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I come from proud hoarding stock, a product of the depression. You can't hoard in a tiny house.

Actually I could be pretty comfortable in a nice singlewide, and have been in the past. I have more stuff now and would need a nice barn. Actually I would need two nice barns, one for storage of household goods and one for the chickens and tractor and stuff.

I'll just make do with what I have now. I can see me getting something smaller after I retire though. Mostly because I want to move to Bft SC and the cost of living is a lot higher there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/679823_A_Thought_Experiment_to_Use_When_Considering_Throwing_Something_Out.html&page=1#i11627144

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#23]
The thread title may just as well say "More than half the country is Fucked"..
But we already knew that
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I know that I damn sure don't get to save any money. Thanks, PSA!  

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yep. In my experience, many of the people I know who "have families and can't afford to save" have a freaking smart phone for both parents and two or three kids, cable/satellite TV, EXTREMELY high speed internet, netflix, hulu plus, spotify premium, new cars, stockpiles of trinkets, eat out almost daily if not daily, etc.

Of course, then there are also some legit reasons such as medical bills which are out of control nowadays, but they'll sit there and talk about their medical bills and possibly even declare bankruptcy, but they still keep everything in the above categories and when it comes to saving for the future or retirement it's all "ain't got no time fo dat!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Among the simple changes I've made: taking lunch to work daily (sandwich / fruit or leftovers) and doing almost all of my grocery shopping at Aldi. If you figure you spend $7-10 on lunch out a day, that's $200 a month just for lunches out. My grocery bill has dropped by at least $10 a week, if not more by shopping at Aldi.

There are lots of adjustments people can do to their budget to save, but people say their too busy, can't be bothered, etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yep. In my experience, many of the people I know who "have families and can't afford to save" have a freaking smart phone for both parents and two or three kids, cable/satellite TV, EXTREMELY high speed internet, netflix, hulu plus, spotify premium, new cars, stockpiles of trinkets, eat out almost daily if not daily, etc.

Of course, then there are also some legit reasons such as medical bills which are out of control nowadays, but they'll sit there and talk about their medical bills and possibly even declare bankruptcy, but they still keep everything in the above categories and when it comes to saving for the future or retirement it's all "ain't got no time fo dat!"

Why is it that everytime these types of threads come up, there is continual posting about trucks, phones, ect. It's never about these kinds of things.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1735710_Selling_a_large_portion_of_my_collection_and_starting_over__What_to_buy_GD____.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Why is it that everytime these types of threads come up, there is continual posting about trucks, phones, ect. It's never about these kinds of things.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1735710_Selling_a_large_portion_of_my_collection_and_starting_over__What_to_buy_GD____.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Among the simple changes I've made: taking lunch to work daily (sandwich / fruit or leftovers) and doing almost all of my grocery shopping at Aldi. If you figure you spend $7-10 on lunch out a day, that's $200 a month just for lunches out. My grocery bill has dropped by at least $10 a week, if not more by shopping at Aldi.

There are lots of adjustments people can do to their budget to save, but people say their too busy, can't be bothered, etc.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

don't forget this also..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1735788_what_premium_1911_to_buy.html&page=1

What is the overall message that is sent to people ?  Even when I was a kid in the 70's it was "buy buy buy".   Nowhere did I ever hear the words "save, save, save", except from my parents who were products of the great depression.  

It's even worse now, especially with the overpriced/overhyped electronics that are thrown at us..

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There's a big element of this. 50% of the country is the bottom half of earners, folks. Not to mention, since 2008 the middle class beating has gotten worse. Jobs are paying less, hours are being reduced, but everything is costing more...fuck the fraudulent CPI. Food, energy, consumables, not getting any cheaper. Medical plans? Yeah....

I can't ridicule the people who just don't have it to save. They are the bulk of that figure, I'm sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You need to have money to save for this whole idea to work.

There's a big element of this. 50% of the country is the bottom half of earners, folks. Not to mention, since 2008 the middle class beating has gotten worse. Jobs are paying less, hours are being reduced, but everything is costing more...fuck the fraudulent CPI. Food, energy, consumables, not getting any cheaper. Medical plans? Yeah....

I can't ridicule the people who just don't have it to save. They are the bulk of that figure, I'm sure.

I agree with this analogy.  I used to be one of those people.  After necessities the wife and I were lucky to make the day before payday with $20 left.  My kids never went hungry though.  

It is why I encourage my kids who are both rock solid hard workers to NEVER under value their labor and not waste time with shit wage jobs and employers.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#28]
It's hard for the lower 50% to save money these days. Wages haven't kept up with inflation for over a decade.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit.  My grandparents talked about how hard things were after the depression, and before and during the war.  They made a point to always save 10%.  They were methodical, and they gave up luxuries to do it.  Today, people wont do that.  Gotta have those smokes and lotto's.  Satellite TV, and that flat screen.

Sure, that isn't everyone, but I don't buy the sob story, seen too much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  My grandparents talked about how hard things were after the depression, and before and during the war.  They made a point to always save 10%.  They were methodical, and they gave up luxuries to do it.  Today, people wont do that.  Gotta have those smokes and lotto's.  Satellite TV, and that flat screen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You hit the nail on the head. Luxuries are more important that savings today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I don't know anyone who gets stuff to "keep up with the jones". They get nice stuff because they want nice stuff.

It's funny to read the gnashing of teeth about "keeping up with the jones" from a forum that is always asking about which firearm part to spend their spare thousands on. Or complaining because they can't shoot thousands of rounds of ammo every month.

Not saying people shouldn't do it, just pointing out that there is a lot of "keeping up with the jones" right here on GD.

I've seen the price of "tiny houses" and they cost a lot more than my older dated, but amply sized ranch style house.

There are nice affordable reasonably sized houses but for some reason people would rather get something new than something used and fix it up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everyone is trying to keep up with the Jone's but for all the wrong things. The real competition shouldn't be how big of a house you could get but how small.

I could not live in one of those tiny doll houses either.
I bought my small enough(1100 sq.ft.) 3 bedroom home 35 years ago and like you I have a pretty large yard with shade and bird feeders and a shed for tools and lawn equipment and a garage for the motorcycle and room for even a large breed dog.
And it's paid for best of all!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

All available interest rates on savings are less than real inflation. Simple math.

Also...Savings are not investments. Investments are not savings.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While having an emergency reserve is a must...saving money is idiotic with such low interest rates and highish inflation. You are LOSING money.

The money I saved all my working life and invested is now giving me $150k a year in retirement.    

Tell me more about how I am losing money.

All available interest rates on savings are less than real inflation. Simple math.

Also...Savings are not investments. Investments are not savings.

Just stop.  You are making yourself look even dumber.  We get it.  You like to make a big deal about semantics....  even when everyone else understands.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
It's hard for the lower 50% to save money these days. Wages haven't kept up with inflation for over a decade.
View Quote

Bingo!  Hard to save money when you're flipping burgers, slewing coffee, stocking shelves or some other service industry job.  Since the '90s, middle class paying jobs have been slipping away to off shore locations.  The Clintonistas false promise that the service industry would replace the production jobs haven't panned out.  Many people simply aren't in a position to save money anymore.

Even if they were in a position to save, they're fools to save a lot in a savings institution.  Certainly we should have a reserve/rainy day fund but between inflation and the Fed Res' ZIRP, people are discouraged from saving and encouraged to either spend it or invest in the equity markets.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:45:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Bingo!  Hard to save money when you're flipping burgers, slewing coffee, stocking shelves or some other service industry job.  Since the '90s, middle class paying jobs have been slipping away to off shore locations.  The Clintonistas false promise that the service industry would replace the production jobs haven't panned out.  Many people simply aren't in a position to save money anymore.

Even if they were in a position to save, they're fools to save a lot in a savings institution.  Certainly we should have a reserve/rainy day fund but between inflation and the Fed Res' ZIRP, people are discouraged from saving and encouraged to either spend it or invest in the equity markets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And yet, every restaurant is booming.  All the parking lots in the stores are packed.  Home depot, I had to park WAY in the back yesterday with all the "poor people" who were buying up all kinds of lawn mulch, flowers, etc....  We cant even get a table without an hour wait anyplace around me on Friday or Sat nights.  Even the "dying" places are fill with people... like the malls, bestbuy, sears.... etc.

I keep hearing all this stuff about the middle class, but it sure seems like people are living damned well to me.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Service based economy with the accompanying low pay scales means people aren't able to save
You basically need a middle class or higher income to save any substantial amount of money
A few years ago when the economy tanked and people were saving  bit more than usual the gov't was blaming part of the malaise on people saving more and not spending their cash

If the majority of Americans were financially frugal this country would be in a permanent recession. Our economy is consumption based. Quit buying things you really don't need and the economy stalls.

That's an interesting way of looking at it and probably correct.  Now I'm going to do my part and buy that new car I really wanted.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Considering that over 53% are on some sort of govt assistance! this shouldn't surprise anyone.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And yet, every restaurant is booming.  All the parking lots in the stores are packed.  Home depot, I had to park WAY in the back yesterday with all the "poor people" who were buying up all kinds of lawn mulch, flowers, etc....  We cant even get a table without an hour wait anyplace around me on Friday or Sat nights.  Even the "dying" places are fill with people... like the malls, bestbuy, sears.... etc.

I keep hearing all this stuff about the middle class, but it sure seems like people are living damned well to me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I live in the Middle Class section of a town that has some very affluent people in it. As a result my kids have friends that live in some very fancy houses and whose families drive very fancy cars. However, I know that the parents are frequently in debt up to their eyeballs. Houses mortgaged to the hilt. Leased cars with the minimum down. Credit card debt. Essentially living paycheck to paycheck but having all the bells and whistles.

I on the other hand, drive a 15 year old car that's paid off, as is my house. Only owe on my wife's new car but that's because we got a 0.0% interest deal.

I've told them "Just because your friends have all these things, don't assume that their families are any better off than yours is."

It's all a matter of priorities.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBT's and extended unemployment FTW!  Ninety-three million Americans unemployed and many more underemployed.  About 50 million FSA!  We're #1.  We're #1!  We're #1!  Subprime housing loans are being supplemented by subprime auto loans to keep that consumer credit bubble growing with the confidence that the nation's economy has recovered.

Frankly, I'm grateful that most folks are buying the MSM & Whine Haus propaganda that we're in a recovery.  It buys me time for the economic reset.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:48:29 PM EDT
[#39]
no shit

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Former Reaganite David Stockman calls it theft:

“There is theft going on as a result of massive money printing and central bank financial repression all over the world.  Savers in the United States have been making exactly zero, after inflation and tax, maybe even negative, for 80-months now, since QE and ZIRP incepted in December of 2008.  I would say that’s theft."
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

link
View All Quotes
Quoted:

“There is theft going on as a result of massive money printing and central bank financial repression all over the world.  Savers in the United States have been making exactly zero, after inflation and tax, maybe even negative, for 80-months now, since QE and ZIRP incepted in December of 2008.  I would say that’s theft."

link

I look at it more of a penalty on those refusing to take risk. Why should people using the FDIC as a safety net be rewarded for basically taking no risk?
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I don't understand why people HAVE to have the newest phone or car, or have to have a million pair of shoes or buy a new outfit for EVERY special occasion. That lifestyle breeds financial irresponsibility. I see people on medicaid with newer iphones than my own. I put aside as much money as possible, and live WITHIN my means. I do live pay check to pay check, I buy a car that I can afford easily, a home thats within my income level, and set aside pretty much 1/3 of the money me and the wife make.  We have enough money in savings to cover 1 of our pre-tax salaries for a year. We both work, we both bring home roughly the same amount.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Actually this was a policy started by JFK, a Democrat, to force people to spend money and thereby improve the economy.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't understand why people HAVE to have the newest phone or car, or have to have a million pair of shoes or buy a new outfit for EVERY special occasion. That lifestyle breeds financial irresponsibility. I see people on medicaid with newer iphones than my own. I put aside as much money as possible, and live WITHIN my means. I do live pay check to pay check, I buy a car that I can afford easily, a home thats within my income level, and set aside pretty much 1/3 of the money me and the wife make.  We have enough money in savings to cover 1 of our pre-tax salaries for a year. We both work, we both bring home roughly the same amount.
View Quote

To some people spending money gives them a high, similar to gambling addicts. Other people are just really bad at math.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:58:13 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Just stop.  You are making yourself look even dumber.  We get it.  You like to make a big deal about semantics....  even when everyone else understands.
View Quote

Words mean things. They might even carry dictionaries at Home Depot.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:04:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

To some people spending money gives them a high, similar to gambling addicts. Other people are just really bad at math.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I itch for new things also, and get that "high" but not if it means I may not have money for food/housing/bills etc....
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top