BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 296
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the XP calc factors damage higher than kills.

personally though, i think the concept of "kill stealing" is silly.  if the game is about winning, all that matters is getting guns off the map as fast as possible.  i love having a cleveland or something nearby, both to soak up damage for me and to finish off something that i didn't quite kill and is now shooting at me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

WoWS needs to adjust the XP to give more credit to the people that wear a ship down and not the shithead that ninjas the kill. I was running a minakaze last night and had a CL following me. 3 ships in a row I fucked up with torps and that shit head would dart in and snake a gun kill to finish it off. If I hit a fresh BB with a spread of torps and take his HP below 1000, which I did twice in that match, the lions share of the XP should goto me, not the lazy shit following along.
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure the XP calc factors damage higher than kills.

personally though, i think the concept of "kill stealing" is silly.  if the game is about winning, all that matters is getting guns off the map as fast as possible.  i love having a cleveland or something nearby, both to soak up damage for me and to finish off something that i didn't quite kill and is now shooting at me.
this is why you should get additional points for kills.  because they are important.  If your choice is to shoot the ship with 1500HP or the ship with 25000HP, the correct answer is the ship with 1500HP; so it makes sense to reward "good play".

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I finally got my Clevland and my very first match in my shiny new ship was against 8 and 9's. Thankfully the other team went full potato, but I still had to play very cautiously and got a shit score, despite having 60+ hits on a IX BB.

WoWS needs to adjust the XP to give more credit to the people that wear a ship down and not the shithead that ninjas the kill. I was running a minakaze last night and had a CL following me. 3 ships in a row I fucked up with torps and that shit head would dart in and snake a gun kill to finish it off. If I hit a fresh BB with a spread of torps and take his HP below 1000, which I did twice in that match, the lions share of the XP should goto me, not the lazy shit following along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see the screw you over mode carried over from WOT.  Had about 4k Xp to get tonight in the Omaha to get into the Cleveland.   1 for fucking 6 and the 5 losses were epic tard fests.   I was over 60% win rate in it and then suddenly my guns couldn't hit shit, my rudder was connected to the wheel with rubber bands, and my armor ceased to exist.  Amazing how hard Wargaming tried to normalize everyone to 50%.

Tard was exceptionally thick.  Think its time for a bit of a break.

Edited as my language was probably a bit too strong.

I finally got my Clevland and my very first match in my shiny new ship was against 8 and 9's. Thankfully the other team went full potato, but I still had to play very cautiously and got a shit score, despite having 60+ hits on a IX BB.

You get more exp for damage done than you do for kills
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct.

Getting the killing shot only gives a small fraction of the total XP for damaging a ship.

ETA: if I can find the dev post again, I'll link it, but basically the killing blow is 15% of the total XP available for damaging a ship.  All damage is not equal....you get more XP for doing 50% damage to a DD than 30% to an equal tier BB (possible critical hit bonuses aside).  Also higher tier ships give more XP - the difference between their tier and your tier also affects this:  killing two tier 4s in Cleveland won't get as much XP as two tier 7s.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
this is why you should get additional points for kills.  because they are important.  If your choice is to shoot the ship with 1500HP or the ship with 25000HP, the correct answer is the ship with 1500HP; so it makes sense to reward "good play".  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, but that goes both ways.  a guy who finishes the game with 20K in damage and 2 kills is usually doing far, far less work than the guy with 80K and no kills.  we've all been in the middle of a reload when someone else grabs the kill, and we've all lucked into getting the kill while our ally is reloading.  most of the time, it's simply a matter of fortuitous timing.  and of course the flip side is true.  this game isn't as bad as WOT, where individual shot damage values are often higher than low-hp enemies, and therefore dummies will deliberately shoot healthier targets to get more damage.  but it still happens sometimes.  

perversely, sometimes it's the right thing to do, especially in the early game with torps.  if my DD is loaded up with 65K worth of torp hate, and i can choose between good shots on either the 2500hp wounded CA or the 40K BB, you'd better believe that i'm prioritizing the big guy.  since the pace of the game is so slow, and it's almost impossible to actually hide, i'll sometimes let my BBs handle the cleanup on that one (since they should be focusing him anyway).  without torps, the BB takes a long, long time to reduce, so the attrition calculus is a bit more complicated than in WOT.  it's just a matter of smart asset allocation.  

in all, i think damage should be prioritized in terms of XP.  i wouldn't be averse to seeing some sort of chaining multiplier, which rewards hitting the same guy over and over again (instead of alternating targets).  but that might be overthinking it somewhat.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone tried the Albany yet?  This is from a couple months back, in testing.  Wonder if stats are still the same?  In a ship vs ship vs ship comparison, the Albany came out underwhelming.  It has shorter range, slower speed, slower rudder.  All by large percentages (30-50% worse)

THERE IS A VERY GOOD NARRATIVE ON VIEW RANGE, AND DETECTION RANGE, STARTING AT 6:00

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone's running a cruiser they need to be doing cruiser things at match start, not tailgating a friendly DD in the hopes of getting a free kill. If I'm running solo and a BB or cruiser detects me, I usually have enough time to change course and get re-stealthed before they notice and get their guns to bear, then line up for a new approach to launch torps. I've lost count of the number of times I've had a cruiser follow my DD. Most of the time all they accomplish is to draw attention to what should be an empty patch of ocean. Then if I do get detected, my target already had his guns lined up because he was tracking that shithead cruiser that's tailgating me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone tried the Albany yet?  This is from a couple months back, in testing.  Wonder if stats are still the same?  In a ship vs ship vs ship comparison, the Albany came out underwhelming.  It has shorter range, slower speed, slower rudder.  All by large percentages (30-50% worse)

https://youtu.be/IC1lLZvwoBA

THERE IS A VERY GOOD NARRATIVE ON VIEW RANGE, AND DETECTION RANGE, STARTING AT 6:00

View Quote

In closed beta, it was called the "Lolbany" because of how bad it was.  I'll probably never use mine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:55:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Played one match with it just because it was free. Turret rotation could be measured with a sun dial or possibly moon phases.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Played one match with it just because it was free. Turret rotation could be measured with a sun dial or possibly moon phases.
View Quote

It's laughably bad.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's laughably bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's laughably bad.

Jingles reviewed it a while back and said it wasn't worth its price of 1.50 or whatever at the tme lol, but it is free and if you hate it you can always sell It and get a slight amount of credits, but mostly the free slot. It's main disadvantages are its combo of slow speed and low gun range (6.3km) compared to everything else at its tier, but its guns do decent damage for the tier at least.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Jingles reviewed it a while back and said it wasn't worth its price of 1.50 or whatever at the tme lol, but it is free and if you hate it you can always sell It and get a slight amount of credits, but mostly the free slot. It's main disadvantages are its combo of slow speed and low gun range (6.3km) compared to everything else at its tier, but its guns do decent damage for the tier at least.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's laughably bad.

I played 2 games in it. I got 2 kills in one game and 1 in the other. I did well with it but it is really not worth shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just played my best game of open beta:

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/BDfGobg.jpg
View Quote

Did your back hurt after that carry?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/BDfGobg.jpg
View Quote

I missed the dead ship

Killer game

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:01:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

This works, I just used it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Wargaming wishes us to enjoy its 17th anniversary, and offers us a free premium ship with a deck slot.

Just use the code "ALBANY" on you account management, option "Activate Bonus Code" and you will receive shortly the tier II premium cruiser Albany from the U.S.A. nation.

Found this on the EU site... enjoy.

Many thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Many thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Wargaming wishes us to enjoy its 17th anniversary, and offers us a free premium ship with a deck slot.

Just use the code "ALBANY" on you account management, option "Activate Bonus Code" and you will receive shortly the tier II premium cruiser Albany from the U.S.A. nation.

Many thanks!

A premium so bad, they give it away.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Many thanks!

Free port slot ftw!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Many thanks!

If nothing else, saved me 300 gold for the port slot!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:58:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I really need to work on not getting tunnel vision.  Never had that problem in ARMA, but maybe with this it's the slow speed of the turrets I don't know.  But I focus too much on one target and miss everything else.

In other news I'm getting happier with my battleship.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:40:15 PM EDT
[#20]
reinstalled.  this is a bad idea...
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:04:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm really struggling with my Atlanta, but I'm loving my Tier II destroyer.  Maybe I'll just play T2-4 forever, haha.

As you can see, pre-boost/bonus my score was more than double the top opfor score.  At one point, I was solo vs. half their team - it was a glorious death.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:23:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I think I got the hang of the DD

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm really struggling with my Atlanta, but I'm loving my Tier II destroyer.  Maybe I'll just play T2-4 forever, haha.

http://i.imgur.com/VHOgmN5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3Qy3MbK.jpg

As you can see, pre-boost/bonus my score was more than double the top opfor score.  At one point, I was solo vs. half their team - it was a glorious death.  
View Quote

Nice game.  

You're at a bit of a disadvantage jumping in to a tier 7 ship (Atlanta), because many (most?) people playing ships around that tier worked their way up and have much more experience than you.  The Atlanta also is an odd ship: great AA, high rate-of-fire, low damage per shot, weak armor, short range guns and even shorter range torpedoes.  I saw it written to play it like a large, less maneuverable, less stealthy DD with citadels and really good AA.  However, the enemy team's composition can affect the role you play.  For example:  if the enemy has more/better CVs, I like to play air defense and escort BBs or CVs.  If the enemy has a lot of DDs, I like to support my team's DDs.  Sometimes it's just cruiser hunting (get within 5km and surprise them by shooting AP!).

The best advice is to play and become more proficient with US destroyers and US cruisers, because an amalgamation of those play styles work best with the Atlanta.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nice game.  

You're at a bit of a disadvantage jumping in to a tier 7 ship (Atlanta), because many (most?) people playing ships around that tier worked their way up and have much more experience than you.  The Atlanta also is an odd ship: great AA, high rate-of-fire, low damage per shot, weak armor, short range guns and even shorter range torpedoes.  I saw it written to play it like a large, less maneuverable, less stealthy DD with citadels and really good AA.  However, the enemy team's composition can affect the role you play.  For example:  if the enemy has more/better CVs, I like to play air defense and escort BBs or CVs.  If the enemy has a lot of DDs, I like to support my team's DDs.  Sometimes it's just cruiser hunting (get within 5km and surprise them by shooting AP!).

The best advice is to play and become more proficient with US destroyers and US cruisers, because an amalgamation of those play styles work best with the Atlanta.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice game.  

I'm sure you're right. Lots of weak guns is a very accurate description.

I bought it mainly to generate credits, which it has done.

If only it could generate gold coins to convert all that wasted XP.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Nice game.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice game.  

This is good advice. The Atlanta is a great support ship. Its great to make it rain HE on CAs and BBs that are engaged with other ships. I learned the hard way (several times) not to engage directly. Most CAs can out range you and the turrets are made of glass. AA support is fun too.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I'm really struggling with my Atlanta, b
View Quote
With Atlanta, make sure you use AP ammo whenever the situation warrants it. (other cruisers)  To get Citadel hits, shoot under their smokestacks, at the water line.  They need to be close to perpendicular to you.  If you shoot their hull at 45 deg's, your shells are more likely to bounce.

The only citadel that is tricky is the Cleveland: the citadels (boilers) are offset and not directly below the 2 sets of 2 stacks.  

Here's a diagram I found, and colored in the citadel areas.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#27]
       some interesting history for the Omaha, for those who love playing it as much as I.

from wiki:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Omaha_(CL-4)

Beginnings

SS Omaha (CL-4) was the lead ship of Omaha class of light cruiser of the United States Navy. She was the second US Navy ship named for the city of Omaha, Nebraska.

Omaha was laid down on 6 December 1918 by the Todd SB & DD Co. of Tacoma, Washington. The ship was launched on 14 December 1920

Inter-war period

Following her commissioning, Omaha joined the Atlantic Fleet in peacetime. At this time, her primary mission was training, and she proved to be very capable by consistently winning fleet awards in gunnery and communications. She made many ports-of-call throughout the Mediterranean and Caribbean during her peacetime cruises, displaying the US flag.

Capture of Odenwald

Just prior to the US entry into World War II, on 6 November 1941, while on neutrality patrol with Somers in the mid-Atlantic near the Equator, Omaha sighted a vessel which aroused much suspicion by her actions. Refusing to satisfactorily identify herself, and taking evasive action, the stranger was ordered to heave to. She flew the American flag and carried the name Willmoto of Philadelphia on her stern.

Omaha crew members posing on the deck of the Odenwald

As Omaha's crew dispatched a boarding party to the freighter, its crew took to lifeboats and hoisted a signal which indicated that the ship was sinking. When their party pulled alongside, they could hear explosions from within the hull, while one of the fleeing crewmen shouted "This is a German ship and she is sinking!" In short order, the men of Omaha – despite the extreme risk – salvaged the vessel, rendered her safe and had her underway for Puerto Rico. The "American freighter Wilmoto", as it turned out, was the German freighter Odenwald carrying a cargo of rubber.

Odenwald was taken to Puerto Rico. An admiralty court ruled that since the ship was illegally claiming American registration, there was sufficient grounds for confiscation. A legal case was started claiming that the crews of the two American ships had salvage rights because Odenwald??'?s crew attempting to scuttle the ship was the equivalent of abandoning her. The court case – settled in 1947 – ruled the members of the boarding party and the prize crew were entitled to $3,000 apiece while all the other crewmen in Omaha and Somers were entitled to two months’ pay and allowances. This was the last prize money awarded by the US Navy.

Odenwald Incident, November 1941 - USS Omaha (CL 4), in right center, standing by the German blockade runner Odenwald, which has a U.S. boarding party on board, in the South Atlantic, 6 November 1941. Photographed from USS Somers (DD 381).

- U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph #NH 49935.

USS Omaha (CL 4) Aground in the Bahamas, 18 July 1937. Note lighthouse at right and vessels alongside Omaha.

- U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph #NH 43061.

USS Omaha (CL 4) Off the New York Navy Yard, 10 February 1943.

-Official U.S. Navy Photograph, from the collections of the Naval Historical Center #NH 97972.

World War II

After the United States entered the war, Omaha continued her South Atlantic patrol, instructed to stop German blockade runners. While patrolling out of a base in Brazil on 4 January 1944, with Jouett, she spotted a ship which immediately showed signs of being scuttled. The ship's crew took to the boats and she began settling by the stern. The following day, another ship was sighted and its crew set her afire. Omaha opened fire and the vessel disappeared beneath the waves. Both ships carried cargoes of rubber, which the Germans desperately needed.

In March, Omaha proceeded to Naples to prepare for landings in southern France. On 19 August, she protected the flank of the units bombarding Toulon, and three days later took part in the operations that resulted in the surrender of the German garrison on the island of Porquerolles.

Omaha was present at the surrender of Giens on 23 August, and on 25 August, she delivered a sustained bombardment on targets in the Toulon area. Shortly thereafter, she was detached from the operation and returned to patrol duties. The termination of hostilities (15 August 1945) found her patrolling in the South Atlantic.

Omaha was decommissioned on 1 November. Omaha was scrapped in February 1946 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Many thanks!

This.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Finally got my Nicholas.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#30]
interesting to see how gameplay has evolved since i was active last.

-in general, players seem to be better about grouping and escorting.  much rarer to see a BB wandering about on his own.  except the BBs on my teams, which often seem to think that they'll be invisible or something.

-ridiculous passivity.  seems like every battle, one side or the other turtles up almost immediately and hands map control to the other side.

-slow ships seem even worse about committing far from the center of the map, and therefore getting trapped out of the rest of the battle.  seems like few people think beyond shooting what is in front of them.

-AP works a whole lot better

but my CA curse is unchanged.  no matter which side i take my DD to, it will turn out to be the side where all the enemy CAs decided to go.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 4:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
The passivity is really bugging me.  Far too many games end in a draw.  

I recently had a game in my Atlanta, where a Cleveland, Aoba and I went left on Two Brothers.  We met an Atlanta, Myoko, and Mutsuki.  The two guys with me ran away, while I charged ahead, killed all three guys, then got the cap for the win.  I was very lucky to live, and it would have been a steamroll if my teammates weren't afraid of scratching their paint.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#32]
How in the hell do you make the game full frame?  So frustrating when fighting when you change frames.  

2 minutes of searching and it's alt+enter
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The passivity is really bugging me.  Far too many games end in a draw.  

I recently had a game in my Atlanta, where a Cleveland, Aoba and I went left on Two Brothers.  We met an Atlanta, Myoko, and Mutsuki.  The two guys with me ran away, while I charged ahead, killed all three guys, then got the cap for the win.  I was very lucky to live, and it would have been a steamroll if my teammates weren't afraid of scratching their paint.
View Quote

it almost seems like people got yelled at so much for yoloing that now they're doing the exact opposite.  it's an admittedly fine line between aggressive and stupid, but if i'm going to screw up, it's going to be by driving towards the enemy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How in the hell do you make the game full frame?  So frustrating when fighting when you change frames.
View Quote

settings>graphics>allow full frame (checkbox)
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#35]
My buddy at work got me turned on to this game. I played it when it first got released and shelved it. Just wasn't doing it for me. Got onlast night and played for an hour. I gotta say, blind launching torps only to have some schmoe drive around an island straight into them is quite satisfying.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My buddy at work got me turned on to this game. I played it when it first got released and shelved it. Just wasn't doing it for me. Got onlast night and played for an hour. I gotta say, blind launching torps only to have some schmoe drive around an island straight into them is quite satisfying.
View Quote

I HATE that, lol.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
it's an admittedly fine line between aggressive and stupid, but if i'm going to screw up, it's going to be by driving towards the enemy.
View Quote

Agreed.

Reminds me of a story I read once, of British soldiers during WWII describing part of what made their American counterparts such fierce fighters:  when a British unit is without leadership, they hunker down and defend their position, waiting for reinforcements.  When an American unit is without leadership, they attack.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#38]
So I'm brand new to WoWS. I'm playing the St. Louis and have what I think are decent games then prettry bad games. Just had a game which has been my best so far.

75 hits, 34k damage and no kills.

Decent or scrub territory?

Super dumb question time.

In the report page on details you get 3 categorie symbols, ship killed, impacts, and what is the 3rd one that looks like a lightning strike?

How do you make the in game ship list smaller without names of the player?

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
looking froward to German ships.. Admiral Graf Spee, for example....  just look at those oversizd guns!
One of the ways they cut weight to keep them under the treaty weight, was to use the new technique of electric welding, instead of rivets.
Early in the war, Graf Spee was tasked with raiding freighters off South America (Brazil). This was to strangle England. Supposedly they didn't kill any freighter crew, as Captain Hans Langsdorff grew up wanting to become a minister, but was sidetracked by WWI.

Royal Navy official photographer - IWMCollections IWM Photo No.:MH 2

WARSHIPS AT THE SPITHEAD FLEET REVIEW OF 1937, The German heavy cruiser ADMIRAL GRAF SPEE anchored off Spithead for the 1937 Fleet Review. In the background are the battleship HMS RESOLUTION and the battlecruiser HMS HOOD.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
So I'm brand new to WoWS. I'm playing the St. Louis and have what I think are decent games then prettry bad games. Just had a game which has been my best so far.

75 hits, 34k damage and no kills.

Decent or scrub territory?

Super dumb question time.

In the report page on details you get 3 categorie symbols, ship killed, impacts, and what is the 3rd one that looks like a lightning strike?

How do you make the in game ship list smaller without names of the player?
View Quote

that's a solid game for a stl.  to get your damage up, go through some of the vids posted on this page or the last about citadel hits, AP vs HE, and armor angling.  honestly, one of the best metrics of how you're doing in an american cruiser is whether the capital ships you're escorting get sunk by DDs or air.  in the stl and omaha, your main job is to use all those guns to kill enemy DDs that are trying to torp your BBs.  i'm a DD driver, and i absolutely HATE disciplined cruisers who stick with their BBs.  a st louis will ruin any DD's day--even up to tier 6-7--so long as he plays smart.  once you tier up, you'll also be responsible for providing AA cover for your group.

ship list is in the graphics part of the settings menu.  there's a checkbox for something like "abbreviate ship list".
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:07:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks, yeah I watched the videos on citadels etc.. I normally try to hang with the battleships. I don't think that match had any to be honest. 3/4 of the team on both sides were St. Louis's.

Thanks for the tip on ship list. Just missed it I guess. Guess I found it under controls, show team list.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Nobody is on
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

FREE SHIP + PORT SLOT

Many thanks!

Look at it as a free port slot and 275K in credits.  It really is that bad.  

I'm back at it, found 2500 gold in my WoT account that I've not touched in six months, so I now have 30 more days of premium.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Weird. I got called away from the computer  by someone at the door when I was waiting for the game to start, and couldn't get back until the very end.

Obviously, I didn't help the team, but I somehow still earned credits and XP.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:40:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Starting to kind of get the game now slowly. 9 games today in the ST. Louis and won 8 of them. Probably jinxed and lose 10 in a row now.

Hit 75k damage in two of the games.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:50:55 AM EDT
[#46]
This whole Cleveland thing really is cheating... I was just guarding our sole CV and came up with this game.  The reds just blindly charged us... nuked two jap cruisers (Aoba and FurryTaco), a Sims that wanted to fire his torps at me (HA HA Funny guy!, he lost his propulsion on the 2nd salvo and just sat there while I killed him), and a New Mexico that was just cruisin into our area (he focused on the carrier and I just burnt him down).  

ETA> I've 3/4 of the way to the Pensacola and didn't even realize it.  That's OK, the Cleveland will be in my harbor until the game ceases to exist.  

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:04:15 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Starting to kind of get the game now slowly. 9 games today in the ST. Louis and won 8 of them. Probably jinxed and lose 10 in a row now.

Hit 75k damage in two of the games.
View Quote

The secret to the St. Louis is to use AP on everything but battleships.  Your 152mm guns will penetrate anything you face (besides BBs) and you will get citadels quite often (seems like everything up to tier 5 has huge citadel locations).  This, along with angling your ship will allow you to wrack up massive totals.  It has become my seal clubbing weapon of choice.  

Biggest cruiser tip: keep moving... don't travel in a straight line, and use those islands to hide from big, bad BBs with 12" guns that will kill you in 2 or 3 good hits.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:15:19 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
With Atlanta, make sure you use AP ammo whenever the situation warrants it. (other cruisers)  To get Citadel hits, shoot under their smokestacks, at the water line.  They need to be close to perpendicular to you.  If you shoot their hull at 45 deg's, your shells are more likely to bounce.  

The only citadel that is tricky is the Cleveland: the citadels (boilers) are offset and not directly below the 2 sets of 2 stacks.  

http://i.imgur.com/lLNZnqT.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

#50 and #82 should also be highlighted--they're the engine rooms. 20 and 149 as well, since they're the barbette compartments--the lower deck of the turret.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:42:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty certain my default play style is entirely too aggressive for the Atlanta.  I had similar patience issues in T7+ WOT.  

I'll keep at it and keep improving (I hope).
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:06:00 AM EDT
[#50]
carried the team that fucking round

Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top