Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 296
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:57:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Either everyone sucks, or I'm actually good at one of the "World at ...." style games!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Few interesting observations tonight.

1)  Had a magazine detonation 2x.  Once in a DD (17000 damage in 1 shot) and once in a Crusier (23000 damage).  I was solid green and then suddenly all blown up.

2)  I managed to torpedo myself in my carrier.  Like usual, my team offered no defense and I was being swarmed by 2 DDs.  I got my planes launched and brought in some torpedoes danger close.  Got the DD's and myself!  

3)  I need to platoon.  The complete lack of strategy (and thus losing more than I'm winning) is just driving me insane.  I watched 4 BB's play world of bumper boats in the same grid square as they were all trying to get broad side for a shot on a light cruiser.  Some torpedo bombers and a couple destroyers made the best of it and boom, 3 of 4 dead in a matter of seconds.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:18:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the invite code, blackhawk! Much appreciated.

Taking a break from WOT but have the same name as on there so feel free to add me - asmx86routine

Just got to the Pensacola but kept my Cleveland since it's just a good all around ship and easy credit earner. Also have the Farragut but not sure I'll continue down that line. I like the mobility and the insane torpedo damage but it's so dependent on exact placement and timing that often times you either just get creamed in a single volley or you find yourself at the end of the match without having done much. I think in a platoon/division it would be more fun.

About 4k xp from the Fuso as well. The BB line is decent and I can't wait to see the US ships come out.

So far I think Cruisers are my favorite line but I still have yet to try carriers since it reminds me of arty in WoT and the gameplay just doesn't really appeal to me. I like brawling, maneuvering, and getting stuck on rocks too much.
View Quote

Good to see you
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Good to see you
View Quote

You too! Miss playing with you guys. And when I say that I totally mean it in a homo way.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Either everyone sucks, or I'm actually good at one of the "World at ...." style games!
View Quote

Are you sure you're not playing against bots?

You need to change the game type from co-op to random battle or you're just playing against AI.

Also why the fuck do my torp bombers always go out of their way to do head on attacks...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:47:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Do yourselves a favor if you haven't worked everything out already: look up the WoWs Captain's Academy and watch the videos.
View Quote

Thanks for pointing that out. As sort of a funny aside, the ad that ran before the vid was for Disney Cruiselines, hehe.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One very simple reason - to keep a teen rating in the US you may not show the simulated death of a human being or animal in any way. We almost got the rating yanked from us because one of the maps has a dog house - when you ran over it you heard a dog howl. That was a no-no for the ESRB so it was removed.

Plus since this is an international game some countries have an absolute no simulated human death policy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi all

All out of codes but have asked for more. I have 10 people on the waiting list currently!

I also making note of some of the good and can be improved things here which is what a Beta is for!

And yeah - don't have heart failure over winning or losing now since everyone will be wiped when the beta closes just before release. It's like you get a free re-roll without the stigma!  :)

Is there a reason WoT (and WoWS) never added crew to their open tanks? It'd be pretty cool to see some dudes on the lower tier ships where it's obvious dudes should be.

One very simple reason - to keep a teen rating in the US you may not show the simulated death of a human being or animal in any way. We almost got the rating yanked from us because one of the maps has a dog house - when you ran over it you heard a dog howl. That was a no-no for the ESRB so it was removed.

Plus since this is an international game some countries have an absolute no simulated human death policy.
Yet, warthunder has animations of crew members taking spall.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all

All out of codes but have asked for more. I have 10 people on the waiting list currently!

I also making note of some of the good and can be improved things here which is what a Beta is for!

And yeah - don't have heart failure over winning or losing now since everyone will be wiped when the beta closes just before release. It's like you get a free re-roll without the stigma!  :)

Is there a reason WoT (and WoWS) never added crew to their open tanks? It'd be pretty cool to see some dudes on the lower tier ships where it's obvious dudes should be.

No, those are animations of animations...totally different.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:17:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You need to change the game type from co-op to random battle or you're just playing against AI.

Also why the fuck do my torp bombers always go out of their way to do head on attacks...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap I need to check that. I just hit battle and don't really look at the game modes. I am only at tier 2. How do you guys scream up the lines that fast?

Damn I have been doing co-op. No wonder I was not getting shit.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. First night playing so I'm only up to Tier 2 but I'm having no problems tearing shit up. God this is fun. The DDGs are absolutely devastating if you know how to play them.

Record so far is 15 victories, 2 defeats. My first round with a carrier in it I sunk it solo. Using the Japanese Tier 2 destroyer.

It's so incredibly satisfying to make a fast torpedo run weaving between islands and leaving a wake of destruction in your path. At one point I fired narrow spread salvos from both sides and sank 2 ships I was darting between. All while both were trying to lite me up.

Please oh please, WG, don't fuck this game up. It's near perfect as is.

In game is same as on here; cgrant26

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:28:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Crap I need to check that. I just hit battle and don't really look at the game modes. I am only at tier 2. How do you guys scream up the lines that fast?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

On a positive note you net more xp for playing PVP than against the bots.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:38:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I wish I would have read through the thread again yesterday.  I didn't know about salvos and walking fire.

ETA:  Thanks again to OP for turning me onto waypoints.  Such a simple thing made for a nice quality of life change.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:41 AM EDT
[#13]
This was a loss.

edit:  fuck it, keeps resizing it.

87,000 damage total with 4 sinks
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Same here. First night playing so I'm only up to Tier 2 but I'm having no problems tearing shit up. God this is fun. The DDGs are absolutely devastating if you know how to play them.

Record so far is 15 victories, 2 defeats. My first round with a carrier in it I sunk it solo. Using the Japanese Tier 2 destroyer.

It's so incredibly satisfying to make a fast torpedo run weaving between islands and leaving a wake of destruction in your path. At one point I fired narrow spread salvos from both sides and sank 2 ships I was darting between. All while both were trying to lite me up.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wait till you get to the Mutsuki, then the reload time jumps to over 1:30 while still having terribly slow gun traverse.    
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:43:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Wait till you get to the Mutsuki, then the reload time jumps to over 1:30 while still having terribly slow gun traverse.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's just like WoT then, where every tech tree branch has a couple turds hanging from it that you have to work through to get to the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You too! Miss playing with you guys. And when I say that I totally mean it in a homo way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good to see you

I bet you say that to all the girls.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Pretty looking game. How things have changed since Navy Field...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wondered the same thing.  They do it because they basically fly straight to the waypoint you set for them when you attacked that ship.  Chances are the heading changed at some point.  What you can do is zoom into the map, and then you can drag the attack point around the circle.  This will show you the green cone that shows the spread of your torpedos.

You can drag it around to get a more broadside spread right up until the planes say they are attacking target.   Last night I found it effective to attack BB's with 2 squadrons of bombers.  One from each side.  That way if he turns to evade  your first round of torpedos you have a 2nd coming in as well and he's basically FUBAR.  Will try to get a screen shot.

Added some screen shots.

Initial point of aim

Dragging the point of aim around the circle to get a broad side spread.  Note I am trying to attack from both sides.

Resultant fish in the water

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:18:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Glad to help.

Without waypoints, if there is one island on the map, I will run aground.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wish I would have read through the thread again yesterday.  I didn't know about salvos and walking fire.

ETA:  Thanks again to OP for turning me onto waypoints.  Such a simple thing made for a nice quality of life change.

Glad to help.

Just get a Yamato.  Then it is not a mistake, it is glorious suicide mission to prevent Gajin from taking Okinawa!

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

You determine at what angle your torpedo bombers attack at.  When you select the squadron and then click your target there is a circle that surrounds it with a gray cone to show the angle your planes will attack from.  You can move the "cone" around to any point of the circle to have them approach from that side.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Glad to help.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to help.

You can run aground in the middle of the ocean without any land/mountains nearby. I got hung up on something last night, took me almost 4 minutes to break free and once I did break free and turn to head in another direction, I started receiving a collision warning, even though there was nothing but open water in front of me. The guy who dive bombed me for 70% of my health sure must have been happy though as I literally was a sitting duck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#23]
How are you guys getting Beta keys? No response from the WOWS website signup in my email. Is it a lottery?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I probably have something like an 80% win rate. It's kind of ridiculous.

One thing though Blackhawk, whenever I try to go into fullscreen mode, my graphics freak out. The contrast and saturation are all wrong. Would you like a screen shot of this?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#25]
       Here's my gameplay suggestion:  There should be a small window in one of the corners for forward view, so you can tell where the hell you are going.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
       Here's my gameplay suggestion:  There should be a small window in one of the corners for forward view, so you can tell where the hell you are going.  
View Quote

That would be nice when you are in binoc mode.  Just because you gunner is looking at a target doesn't mean the guy steering the ship is completely oblivious to terrain.

Got hit for 39,400 damage in one salvo just now in my Tier 4 Japanese battleship.  Went from nearly full HP to sunk instantly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:25:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Been playing the Langley in Co-op mode for the last two days and just can't seem to make it click.  If I pay attention to the planes, the ship gets shot up and if I pay attention to the ship, the planes get shot up.  I guess I need to learn to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

+eleventybajillion

So fricken frustrating when you're in the middle of a heated fight with multiple targets, maneuvering and firing, only to run head first into something. Now I'm no naval vessel expert, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one person firing/navigating these ships IRL. You should suggest it on the forum. I'm sure it will get lots of upvotes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Been playing the Langley in Co-op mode for the last two days and just can't seem to make it click.  If I pay attention to the planes, the ship gets shot up and if I pay attention to the ship, the planes get shot up.  I guess I need to learn to walk and chew gum at the same time.
View Quote

Far from an expert here, but this is what I've been doing with good success.

2 Squads of Torpedo planes, 1 Fighter.   Use the fighters to escort your bombers.  Have the fighters peel off if you enemy bombers nearby.  When torpedo planes are reloading on your deck use fighters for air cover for your ship.

Blackhawk...nice to see you in game bud.  Sucks we got absolutely steamrolled 1000 - 73 in that match.   Been my typical match recently.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Deleted
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

2 Squads of Torpedo planes, 1 Fighter.   Use the fighters to escort your bombers.  Have the fighters peel off if you enemy bombers nearby.  When torpedo planes are reloading on your deck use fighters for air cover for your ship.

Blackhawk...nice to see you in game bud.  Sucks we got absolutely steamrolled 1000 - 73 in that match.   Been my typical match recently.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEP! We got steamrolled!

btw here is the beer tap they installed this week in the employees lounge - you can bang down a glass during work hours. You get drunk and you are gone so they treat us like real adults.

Currently filled with Guns & Oil Maverick Lager....

Guns & Oil
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can run aground in the middle of the ocean without any land/mountains nearby. I got hung up on something last night, took me almost 4 minutes to break free and once I did break free and turn to head in another direction, I started receiving a collision warning, even though there was nothing but open water in front of me. The guy who dive bombed me for 70% of my health sure must have been happy though as I literally was a sitting duck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to help.

Do you remember which map, where it was and what you were driving? I would like to try and replicate it
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:48:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do you remember which map, where it was and what you were driving? I would like to try and replicate it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to help.

When I play again tonight, I'm sure I'll get the that map again, and depending where I spawn, I'll also try and replicate it. Offhand, it was a map where I spawned in the southeast, went north along the, is it the 0 line?, and about 1/2 way up the map on the next line to the left, the 9 line?, there is a long vertical island/mountain that extends north-south for maybe 2 or 3 grid squares. It was right to the south/southeast of that island where this happened. I remember someone mentioning that it was a popular route for ships to come down if they spawned in the north. Maybe that rings a bell. Is there any website that shows the different WOW maps? I'd be able to pick it out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
So it's just like WoT then, where every tech tree branch has a couple turds hanging from it that you have to work through to get to the good stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

After the Minekaze they all have over 1:30 torp reloads and turret travers that make the guns useless.

But the Minekaze is great, you'll really enjoy that one
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How are you guys getting Beta keys? No response from the WOWS website signup in my email. Is it a lottery?
View Quote

Blackhawk has been fixing us up.  Ask him nicely and when they pass out the next round of keys, he'll hook you up (probably.  You haven't been trolling him on WoT, have you? )  He's a great guy, though he never answers my hylarious chat messages in game.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
+eleventybajillion

So fricken frustrating when you're in the middle of a heated fight with multiple targets, maneuvering and firing, only to run head first into something. Now I'm no naval vessel expert, but I'm pretty sure there's more than one person firing/navigating these ships IRL. You should suggest it on the forum. I'm sure it will get lots of upvotes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

+eleventybajillion

This!  Oh, so This!  I'm a old guy, and my lightning reflexes these days are more nightlight reflexes.  I get stuck in and then ambushed from the rear (as has happened more than once) I sometimes don't have time to go back to over the shoulder view, what with ducking and dodging incoming fire and shooting, and it isn't difficult to find that I've gone from being safely within the battle space to being strung on the map border like a crappie on a stringer.

Got bounced by a BB in one game where I had been successfully dodging his guns and the guns of 2 other cruisers, only to suddenly find myself immobile.  Zoomed back to see that I was crossing the T, with the map border bisecting the dead center of my ship.  I used the cross to pray for my crew's immortal souls as the BB finished reloading and 1 salvoed me from 80% to broke in half.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Have clans been added yet?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

+eleventybajillion

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+eleventybajillion

Noted

But when you are binoced out you do know you can hold the right mouse key and you will zoom back out to see where you are going? Let the mouse key go and you snap right back into binoc mode
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not yet
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:33:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do not quote me on this but I do not think clans will be enabled for Beta. If they do it will be a while.

I am not even sure the Jap carriers or the American BBs will be added for beta (the Iowa is bad ass - played it in alpha) and Jap torp bombers are freaking deadly so shoot those bastards down quick as you can.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Also all out of codes currently.

I asked for more but got no reply today and I leave in about 30 minutes. So nothing until Monday probably - sorry everyone who is waiting!

I get blocks of 20 and you all gobbled up 80 this week!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#43]
http://worldofwarships.com/cbt/accounts/1001300483-sprayed150/
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Noted

But when you are binoced out you do know you can hold the right mouse key and you will zoom back out to see where you are going? Let the mouse key go and you snap right back into binoc mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+eleventybajillion

Noted

Interesting. That works reasonably well.

Here are some other notes.

1.  The ships look like RC models, because we are always in a looking down on them mode.... if the POV were lowered, so we are nearer the water, they would look more massive.

2.  The capture area needs a louder, and more visually stunning alert.  I have lost a couple battles because I didn't notice soon enough that the enemy was capping.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Noted

View Quote

Thanks!

Yep, I use that often. I also started using ctrl+x to lock guns, which is very helpful so you can zoom in without moving the guns. Thanks again for the invite code! Looking forward to seeing the game progress.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:24:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:37:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That would be nice when you are in binoc mode.  Just because you gunner is looking at a target doesn't mean the guy steering the ship is completely oblivious to terrain.

Got hit for 39,400 damage in one salvo just now in my Tier 4 Japanese battleship.  Went from nearly full HP to sunk instantly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When in binoc mode, right click occasionally to go back out to the wider field of view.  Then let go of right click, and you're back on target via binocs.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:51:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Made Rank 5 last night before I fell asleep...the Phoenix class cruisers are a lot of fun. Much faster and almost as well armed as the St. Louis class, with more range.

The extra speed is nice for bugging out, but it can get you into trouble by being too aggressive early on...a fault of mine.

Haven't played yet today (soon!) but I'll started working the IJN line next...time to see what driving a BB is like.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#49]
We really NEED a way to get more slots.  I like switching back and forth between ships, so I don't really want to sell any yet, but I'm left with no room to climb the Japanese ladder.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

YEP! We got steamrolled!

btw here is the beer tap they installed this week in the employees lounge - you can bang down a glass during work hours. You get drunk and you are gone so they treat us like real adults.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Merkatrig/IMG_17601_zpsv33tpyd4.jpg

Guns & Oil
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEP! We got steamrolled!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/Merkatrig/IMG_17601_zpsv33tpyd4.jpg

Guns & Oil

Very cool!  Also nice they treat you as adults.  There is a lot of talk these days about a more "relaxed" office environment as a way to help deal with stress.  Studies have shown that when folks have access to snacks, drinks (soft and perhaps alcohol), and some areas to relax, they are typically a bit more productive and also tend to put in more "discressionary" effort.
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top