Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 296
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:32:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I am not having any issues playing DDs/torping the hell out of everything on the map.  This is Tier 5 thru 8, IJN, USN and RUS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The torp nerf has gone too far.  It effectively nerfs two of the four classes of ships, with dive bombers still sucking.  They definitely need to find a better balance for the torp dependent ships before launch.

I agree.   Maybe make torps more powerful, or less torpedo belt armor.  Maybe increasing torp range on the lower tier ships, or increasing torp speed some too.  Maybe a compromise of the above.  

Dive bombers are pretty worthless, except for the occasional stopping a cap.

I should say that the last patch was great in some ways.  The ammo changes really has fixed the crit problem.  I haven't been one shotted at all lately.  And citadel hits seem pretty non-existent on small ships which makes the game much more fun.  (Of course, I lose turrets and torp tubes a lot more but this is much more acceptable that having all my health gone in 1 hit)

I am not having any issues playing DDs/torping the hell out of everything on the map.  This is Tier 5 thru 8, IJN, USN and RUS.

I still do fine with the DDs.  I play Gearing, Fletcher, Mahan, Sims, Benson, Wikkes and Nicholas on the US side, and Fubuki and Minekaze, Isokaze on IJN side.  I get plenty of kills, but I'm just noting that it is significantly harder to get kills on BBs.  Sure, when I pop up on one or they charge me through the smoke, putting 10 torps in their side is going to make sure they go down.  But there are less delayed deaths now, less instances of flooding also.  I remember when 4/5 torp hits would cause flooding.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Hey Slick, PM Blackhawk101 and/or Manic_Moran.  They work for WG and can get you codes.  I'd like to save those I have for the stream viewers but if Blackhawk and Manic are out of them I'll give you one from my list.  Just PM me.

E-95
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If anyone has an extra invite code, I'd appreciate one.
It seems your best bet at this point is the twitch give-aways eavery night from E-95 and Journeyman1, referenced earlier in this thread.  

Also, you can buy a $15 (I think that's right?) pre-order ship and get access plus a little gold to buy extra slots, etc...

Hey Slick, PM Blackhawk101 and/or Manic_Moran.  They work for WG and can get you codes.  I'd like to save those I have for the stream viewers but if Blackhawk and Manic are out of them I'll give you one from my list.  Just PM me.

E-95

I do have more codes but they are back at the office. It is out of the way for me but if I get around there this weekend I will stop in but the sammich maker has a full schedule for me. If I don't get out there then I will send one Tuesday morning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I do have more codes but they are back at the office. It is out of the way for me but if I get around there this weekend I will stop in but the sammich maker has a full schedule for me. If I don't get out there then I will send one Tuesday morning.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It seems your best bet at this point is the twitch give-aways eavery night from E-95 and Journeyman1, referenced earlier in this thread.  

Also, you can buy a $15 (I think that's right?) pre-order ship and get access plus a little gold to buy extra slots, etc...

E-95

And yet again, Blackhawk fucking rocks!  

E-95
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 2:22:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta love when you finally  get a Montana  and Iowa  on your team, and then both Yolo up the gut and get killed in about 5 minutes.  I had some not so nice things to say to them.  Looks like the same techniques  they used to speed grind to those ships that they kept doing once they finally got them.  Just like the super tomatoes  in wot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did NOT know that. Shit, 15 bucks doesn't seem too bad.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, I double checked... it is $30. I apologize.  It is for the Yubari class Cruiser, tier IV.  It is a very good ship.

It comes with 1500 gold and 30 days of premium account (1.5x mulitplier on XP and credit earning for each game)

The game is pretty fun.  Since you could just as easily spend $30.00 on a bottle of whiskey, it isn't all the much, if you look at it that way.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So, I double checked... it is $30. I apologize.  It is for the Yubari class Cruiser, tier IV.  It is a very good ship.   It comes with 1500 gold and 30 days of premium account (1.5x mulitplier on XP and credit earning for each game)

The game is pretty fun.  Since you could just as easily spend $30.00 on a bottle of whiskey, it isn't all the much, if you look at it that way.

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/preorders/?item=1070

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, I double checked... it is $30. I apologize.  It is for the Yubari class Cruiser, tier IV.  It is a very good ship.   It comes with 1500 gold and 30 days of premium account (1.5x mulitplier on XP and credit earning for each game)

https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wows/preorders/?item=1070

Definitely worth it.. unlike WoT, this is a game that I can fire up and play a few without getting pissed off.

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Interesting... if not 100% on topic.

very large Lego aircraft carrier

Link Posted: 5/24/2015 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#9]
       One Torpedo kills a Yamato

He talks a lot.. skip to 5:20 if you want to see only the devastation.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
       One Torpedo kills a Yamato

He talks a lot.. skip to 5:20 if you want to see only the devastation.

http://youtu.be/eJaNcFkvQOk

View Quote

That reaction... ha...
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:34:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Interesting... if not 100% on topic.very large Lego aircraft carrier

http://youtu.be/gsPTgKrJX8A  

View Quote
Someone did an Essex as well.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/happycynic/media/legocarrier2_zpsclfwl9fg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/happycynic/legocarrier2_zpsclfwl9fg.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s48.photobucket.com/user/happycynic/media/legocarrier2_zpsclfwl9fg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f210/happycynic/legocarrier2_zpsclfwl9fg.jpg</a>

Not just any Essex-class, that's USS Intrepid.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can you tell?

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:19:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How can you tell?  
View Quote
Unless he knows something I didn't catch, I bet it is because it is related to the Intrepid Museum, and this is a well known display.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/legomonster/sets/72157623014225989/

After a little digging, I found this really great site about the Lego version of HMS Hood

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Been playing for a day now and love it. Since the battleships are on sale, I decided to work that line first, mostly (I HAD to get a carrier). The South Carolina sucks ass, and I had no regrets burning free xp to get the Wyoming and selling the SC off. The range is too short to fight other BBs, like the New York's and Wyoming's I kept getting matched against. And the speed and maneuverability makes it hard to fight anything else. The Wyoming class is only a tier higher, but my damage output and XP per match is alot better.

I was surprised that there aren't more upgrades per class. A hull and fire control upgrade and that's it. What about different secondary loadouts or turret speed upgrades, or engine rebuilds or something?

And why can't we have PT boats?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#16]
You desire for more upgrades is one of the things that absolutely sucks about WoTs.
Many tanks are downright unplayable until upgraded.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You desire for more upgrades is one of the things that absolutely sucks about WoTs.Many tanks are downright unplayable until upgraded.
View Quote

I agree. But I think some flexibility in ship loadouts would be good. The hull upgrade is cool, but I think that the secondary weapons should be a different category and changeable according to the ships owner. Someone might want all AA guns, someone might want small cannons for close in work and someone might want a 50/50 mix.

And has anyone suggested a keyboard binding that would lock/unlock the rear turrets in place? Seems kind of silly to steam into a battle with all my turrets oriented towards the enemy, then have my rear turrets start rotating to the other side when I move my forward guns to engage a ship in front of me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Been playing for a day now and love it. Since the battleships are on sale, I decided to work that line first, mostly (I HAD to get a carrier). The South Carolina sucks ass, and I had no regrets burning free xp to get the Wyoming and selling the SC off. The range is too short to fight other BBs, like the New York's and Wyoming's I kept getting matched against. And the speed and maneuverability makes it hard to fight anything else. The Wyoming class is only a tier higher, but my damage output and XP per match is alot better.

I was surprised that there aren't more upgrades per class. A hull and fire control upgrade and that's it. What about different secondary loadouts or turret speed upgrades, or engine rebuilds or something?

And why can't we have PT boats?
View Quote

Destroyers are played like PT boats for the most part. They're my favorite class.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:40:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Ranger is definitely a step up.  I am liking American carriers again.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Blackhawk, please pass along how much I hate the current domination setup.

1.  I would prefer it be more like every other game that works, start both teams at 1000 and subtract.  If red and green are both on cap, it should be a stalemate.

2. alternatively, you already adjusted it from 4 to 3.... make it 2.

Every capped to win match this weekend ended with less than 1/2 the ships destroyed.

I was in a cruiser yesterday, and noticed the red team caping at around 600.  I moved toward a red cap circle, but even in a cruiser, I couldn't get there in time to affect the outcome.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Blackhawk, please pass along how much I hate the current domination setup.

1.  I would prefer it be more like every other game that works, start both teams at 1000 and subtract.  If red and green are both on cap, it should be a stalemate.

2. alternatively, you already adjusted it from 4 to 3.... make it 2.

Every capped to win match this weekend ended with less than 1/2 the ships destroyed.

I was in a cruiser yesterday, and noticed the red team caping at around 600.  I moved toward a red cap circle, but even in a cruiser, I couldn't get there in time to affect the outcome.

Most of the games I played today were 1000 to < 100.  I quit for the day after losing 3 consecutive battles where our team did not sink a ship or capture a cap area.   Some huge window lickers on today, and domination mode just magnifies that 87 times.

View Quote

I'll vent some more...nobody knows to focus fire, and I'm tired of guys telling me to "STFU" when I'm trying to designate a target.   So I played a few games in carriers and its amazing how much target fixation there is in the game.  I watched a full health Aoba sail right past a Fuso with < 2000hp left, as he was shooting at a full health Amagi 10km away.  The Fuso patiently adjusted course to sail along side the Aoba, who was destroyed in 2 salvos by the Fuso.  

So to your suggestion from a few pages ago, I think a voice over that says (Sir...enemy ship closing in, or enemy ship off the starboard side, 3000 meters) something.   Granted, I don't think most of the player care, or are smart enough to make any sort of a correction.  I think they just hit W 5 times and just sail for the nearest red dot and hope they land a few hits.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Bunch of us Arfcommers playing and streaming now come check us out and join up if you dare

Journeyman

Engine 95

Me Boomer1084
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
How can you tell?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you tell?  

The big "11" on the bow. Intrepid was CV-11 when in commission.

I've never been to the Intrepid Museum in NYC but it's on the list someday.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:13:57 PM EDT
[#24]
FIX Carrier matchmaking...holy crap it can't be that friggin hard.  No fucking reason to have to face a carrier +2 tiers, let alone + 1 tier given the HUGE imbalance in both quantity and quality of planes..  My 2 squads of fighters aren't fast enough or strong enough to shoot down 3 squads of torpedo planes and 3 squads of bombers.   Bull fucking shit.  Fix the broken fucking mm wargaming.  

The Essex sunk me with 6 torps and 2 bombs about 5 minutes in.  My fighters didn't shoot down a single plane, even though they spotted, and then chased his planes towards me.  And of course we win and its my 5x and I get just over 1k xp because I "didn't prove myself in battle."  If I wanted to be fucked in the ass like this I'd move to San Fransico and hang out by the pier.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
FIX Carrier matchmaking...holy crap it can't be that friggin hard.  No fucking reason to have to face a carrier +2 tiers, let alone + 1 tier given the HUGE imbalance in both quantity and quality of planes..  My 2 squads of fighters aren't fast enough or strong enough to shoot down 3 squads of torpedo planes and 3 squads of bombers.   Bull fucking shit.  Fix the broken fucking mm wargaming.  

The Essex sunk me with 6 torps and 2 bombs about 5 minutes in.  My fighters didn't shoot down a single plan, even though they spotted, and then chased his planes towards me.

<a href="http://s221.photobucket.com/user/jblomenberg16/media/WOWs/shot-15.05.25_23.04.22-0796_zpsnziibvy1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd136/jblomenberg16/WOWs/shot-15.05.25_23.04.22-0796_zpsnziibvy1.jpg</a>

View Quote

Yeah, it's really a crapshoot queuing with a carrier.  Even though I have an Essex, I'm completely outclassed by another Essex with the commander skill that's adds +1 plane per squadron.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Had some really good games tonight...and only a couple of sucky ones.

First game with the level 4 captains perk Pyromania for my Cleveland driver and shit got real, got the Arsonist medal.

Note that 10 fire hits did equal damage to 180 non-flammable hits.

The Pensacola...someone tell me the grind to the Nawlins is worth it, because I sure ain't feeling it.

It wouldn't be all that bad if it had just a little bit more armor that the wet TP it's currently sporting.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:44:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bunch of us Arfcommers playing and streaming now come check us out and join up if you dare

Journeyman

Engine 95

Me Boomer1084
View Quote

Glad you joined us on TS bud!  Journey and I ended up raffling off 25 beta codes today.  Fucking marathon streams.  Mine clocked in at 9:08:42 and Journey had already been streaming at least an hour before I got on.  I'm fucking wasted.

E-95
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Holy crap tonight is sucking. I think I have 2 wins out of 16 games. Bought a Kitakame and got a victory right off, then tried for the extra XP in the Mutsuki so I could get out of it. I think the 7th or 8th battle in it was finally a win. Burned free xp to get to the Hatsuhara.  Fuck my balls, the Mutsuki sucks. Sucks. The. Big. Balls.

Losses in everything else tonight. Can't get a win to save my balls.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote
most excellent! thanks for the heads-up.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#31]
The tier VIII IJN Mogami is a beast with the stock guns DPM.  It leaves the Atlanta eating it's dust, in terms of firepower, maneuverability, and torps.  I beat the hell out of a couple BBs with this thing.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:38:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The tier VIII IJN Mogami is a beast with the stock guns DPM.  It leaves the Atlanta eating it's dust, in terms of firepower, maneuverability, and torps.  I beat the hell out of a couple BBs with this thing.

http://i.imgur.com/HTgmL56.jpg

View Quote

It also has a very good camo rating for a ship it's size, and since you can mount the cloaking device on it, I forsee a great future as a "surprise cockfag" ship!

Seriously, I can't tell you how many ships I have closed to within 11-12km and just unloaded on them with 2-3 volleys before they even know what's going on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just a heads up I will be streaming WOWs every night at around 10:30est and will be raffling access codes every night thanks to Blackhawk. http://www.twitch.tv/journeyman1029

We will also be having a Q&A with Blackhawk on the stream more than likely on the 27th and I will confirm that as soon as I can!

Come hang out and drink with us!
View Quote

Followed see you tonight.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It also has a very good camo rating for a ship it's size, and since you can mount the cloaking device on it, I forsee a great future as a "surprise cockfag" ship!

Seriously, I can't tell you how many ships I have closed to within 11-12km and just unloaded on them with 2-3 volleys before they even know what's going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/HTgmL56.jpg

Wasn't the Mogami the Tier 7 prior to the last patch?  I think I had just unlocked it and played a few games with it before the patch.  The Myoko is also a good ship, so sounds like there is much to look forward to on the Mogami.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Wasn't the Mogami the Tier 7 prior to the last patch?  I think I had just unlocked it and played a few games with it before the patch.  The Myoko is also a good ship, so sounds like there is much to look forward to on the Mogami.

View Quote
Yes. They just added some HP to make it a tier VIII. I don't know what else the changed, stat-wise.  However, I would call it a big step up from the Myoko, which is a good enough ship in it's own right.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#36]
FWIW, the Mogami was a really nice looking ship...
(I wish WGing would place that nice looking ensign (?) on top of the mast, as in this pic.)

It's kind of interesting to see the aircraft loaded onboard.  It's interesting in the game, but to consider doing that for real and then having to land in the water and be hoisted back aboard, it is quite an undertaking.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Hey look, WGing got the battle damage pretty close!

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hey look, WGing got the battle damage pretty close!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/japan/images/mikuma7_usn_g414422.jpg

View Quote

That is a Mogami class cruiser as well.  She did not have a good time of it at Midway....
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:00:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FWIW, the Mogami was a really nice looking ship...(I wish WGing would place that nice looking ensign (?) on top of the mast, as in this pic.)
It's kind of interesting to see the aircraft loaded onboard.  It's interesting in the game, but to consider doing that for real and then having to land in the water and be hoisted back aboard, it is quite an undertaking.
http://www.perthone.com/images/ijn-mogami-color.jpg

View Quote

You will never see that flag flown as it is prohibited in some countries. In many places the Rising Sun flag has the same connotation as a Nazi swastika flag.

We did do research on damage done to ships. In many cases when it breaks apart and you can see interior compartments/deck structure that is accurate as well. And that's all I will say about that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw this in GD and thought that Wargaming would need to take some of our money and spend it on this for their HQ.

Ship stuff
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

You will never see that flag flown as it is prohibited in some countries. In many places the Rising Sun flag has the same connotation as a Nazi swastika flag.
View Quote
I was referring to the top flag, which I didn't think was the rising sun flag... it looks different.. although it is certainly similar to the rising sun flag?

ETA: for what it's worth, I looked to see how WT handles flags.  They include the Japanese Rising Sun, but not the German Nazi flag (they use a variation of the swastika flag, but with an iron cross instead).  It is interesting, and I understand the considerable thought that goes into these decisions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Probably more damned one way, than the other, though.  I really wish that they would put the appropriate content in game, and have you check a box with a disclaimer "some of the emblems may be offensive to some viewers...."for "historical emblems".  However, then those pics would end up on the internet and the developer would still be uncaring and insensitive.....

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Saw this in GD and thought that Wargaming would need to take some of our money and spend it on this for their HQ.

Ship stuff
View Quote
I suspect Warships will never make as much money as Tanks?

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

We did do research on damage done to ships. In many cases when it breaks apart and you can see interior compartments/deck structure that is accurate as well.
View Quote
When ships sink right next to an island, why do they sink into the sand and disappear?  Can the game engine not stop that?  It looks silly when they sink through the sand, 10 feet below the water.

Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When ships sink right next to an island, why do they sink into the sand and disappear?  Can the game engine not stop that?  It looks silly when they sink through the sand, 10 feet below the water.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did do research on damage done to ships. In many cases when it breaks apart and you can see interior compartments/deck structure that is accurate as well.

Its quicksand....
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ship stuff
View Quote

That would look nice in Blackhawk's office
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I was referring to the top flag, which I didn't think was the rising sun flag... it looks different.. although it is certainly similar to the rising sun flag?  

ETA: for what it's worth, I looked to see how WT handles flags.  They include the Japanese Rising Sun, but not the German Nazi flag (they use a variation of the swastika flag, but with an iron cross instead).  It is interesting, and I understand the considerable thought that goes into these decisions. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Probably more damned one way, than the other, though.  I really wish that they would put the appropriate content in game, and have you check a box with a disclaimer "some of the emblems may be offensive to some viewers...."for "historical emblems".  However, then those pics would end up on the internet and the developer would still be uncaring and insensitive.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The flags you see that don't quite look like the IJN ensign are flag officer standards.  That one in particular is an IJN Rear Admiral standard.

IJN Ensign

IJN Admiral Standard

IJN Vice Admiral Standard

IJN Rear Admiral Standard

IJN Commodore Standard

E-95
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:47:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Its quicksand....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its quicksand....

LOL!   But that quicksand is enough to cause a ship to get stuck in that same location, right?  :)  I'm giving you a hard time.  I'm not a programmer so not sure how big of a deal it is to have the ship settle on the bottom.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 4:10:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ship stuff

I dunno...probably really depends on how the big clans from WOT and other big gaming series take to WOW.  The game play right now definitely favors team work and there could be some epic team and clan battles, with lots of opportunity for strategy, etc.  I'd bet that word of mouth was a very effective recruiting tool for WOT ( I personally started playing because of the ARFCOM thread, and only after that did I start seeing some advertisements).  I'm a little worried that word of mouth for WOWs won't be as good as WOT, given the significant frustration a number of folks have with game play right now.  True, its CBT so the finished product may be better, but little things like ships sinking through the bottom of the ocean don't really concern me.  Its the extreme frustration that this game is even more dependent on drawing a team that has players with an IQ of > 70.  If you get a team with just a couple of really bad players, or guys that just want to speed grind, it pretty much seals the teams fate, as once teams have an advantage in firepower and HP pool, it is very difficult to overcome.  If nothing else, sometimes there just isn't enough time for the remaining ships to either counter the cap timers, or kill the remaining ships.

I'm still learning the game and techniques, and from my complaining and bitching, I think you guys can tell I'm clearly not at the top of my game.  WOT is/was always more fun playing with ARCOMMERs, but it is also something that seems to be fairly enjoyable playing solo, as a good player in a decent tank can influence the outcome of the game.  He could angle armor, get hull down, use cover, etc. to conserve his own HP and by shooting at weak spots or using premium ammo, could ensure he was dishing out max damage.

Proper positioning is still key in Ships, but it seems like at this stage, there is little a player can do to substantially minimize incoming damage.  With the relatively slow gun traverse of many of the ships, maneuvering to avoid fire or minimize damage often means you take your guns off target long enough that its tough to get a follow on shot during the reload (even if you are quick and able to lock your turrets on the position or use the RMB to hold them fixed while you maneuver).  Obviously using cover is a possibility for the faster ships, but even then takes their guns out of the fight.   So, players will have to adapt to new techniques on how to best use their ship, and that means most likely figuring out how to aim well enough to out damage your opponent.

Which, comes back to good team work.  When 2 or more ships work together to focus fire, they can take out just about any adversary.  Both the combined rate of fire, and the fact they are now dividing fire from the opponent means they have the upper hand.   I just don't know what can be done to drive team work in the average pub match.  I don't know the break down of $$ spent, but would think that its the average pubbie that buys a few thousand gold and maybe some premium time that is the bulk of the income.  Most of the good clans get gold through events and CW and don't really need to spend real $$ for it.

Just my two cents from the perspective of someone who is really struggling with the game at this point.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#49]
By the way, something I figured out over the weekend was how to control the flight path of my planes on the way back to the carrier.  I was pretty frustrated that after carefully routing a flight plan to stay out of the line of AA fire for as long as possible, that my planes were flying straight back to the ship, typically right over several ships ready and waiting to shoot them down.

I'm sure this is old news to a lot of you, but I just figured it out, and thought it might help a few folks out that are slow learners like me.

After finishing the attack run, you can hit "Alt+click" to set a new waypoint that isn't a straight line back to the carrier.  From there you can use "Shift+click" to set additional waypoints.  So far it looks like you can't set the final waypoint to actually land on the carrier, so once they are close you have to hit "F" to get them to land.

Also, if you are playing the IJN carriers, I highly highly recommend manually aiming your torpedoes, vs. using the default aiming spread.   The lower tier torpedoes are pretty slow and the attack distance is actually pretty far away.  Add to that only having 4 torpedos vs. 5 or 6 for the US lines, you leave a very wide gap for a ship to pass through.   If you launch at a ship that is paying attention you are unlikely to get a hit.  Also, its best to attack in pairs given the low number of torps per spread.  If you can interlock the spreads a bit you can usually negate a turning ship.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
By the way, something I figured out over the weekend was how to control the flight path of my planes on the way back to the carrier.  I was pretty frustrated that after carefully routing a flight plan to stay out of the line of AA fire for as long as possible, that my planes were flying straight back to the ship, typically right over several ships ready and waiting to shoot them down.

I'm sure this is old news to a lot of you, but I just figured it out, and thought it might help a few folks out that are slow learners like me.

After finishing the attack run, you can hit "Alt+click" to set a new waypoint that isn't a straight line back to the carrier.  From there you can use "Shift+click" to set additional waypoints.  So far it looks like you can't set the final waypoint to actually land on the carrier, so once they are close you have to hit "F" to get them to land.

Also, if you are playing the IJN carriers, I highly highly recommend manually aiming your torpedoes, vs. using the default aiming spread.   The lower tier torpedoes are pretty slow and the attack distance is actually pretty far away.  Add to that only having 4 torpedos vs. 5 or 6 for the US lines, you leave a very wide gap for a ship to pass through.   If you launch at a ship that is paying attention you are unlikely to get a hit.  Also, its best to attack in pairs given the low number of torps per spread.  If you can interlock the spreads a bit you can usually negate a turning ship.
View Quote

How do you manually aim torps?
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top