Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 296
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What happens when you run out of docks?  I just bought the Chester, and am six or eight matches from the destroyer.  I'mma run out of room in my port before too long, and there doesn't seem to be any way to add slots.  The gold is different than other wargaming games, and the "buy more" icon gets a not implemented yet message.  We locked to 6 ships total during the beta?
View Quote

Without piasters (gold for WoT folks) you can't get more dock slots.  I've been selling the previous ship as I upgrade to the next.  When it goes live your Wargaming account will be linked and all gold and free exp will be available between the games.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Just elited the Erie by unlocking the Sampson.  Now I've got to learn how to use torpedoes.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just elited the Erie by unlocking the Sampson.  Now I've got to learn how to use torpedoes.
View Quote

Look at the modules page for a specific ship and check the range on your torpedoes.  Use the "3" to bring up the torpedo aiming reticle.  If you put your reticle on the ship you want to target and hit "x" it will show you a grey cone that will hit the enemy assuming they don't change course.  You can change between a wide or narrow spread by pushing 3 while aiming as well.  Obviously the closer you are to the enemy ship the less chance they can maneuver out of the way but the greater chance they can hit you back.  Best approach is to find an enemy ship that is engaged with another 1 or 2 ships and sneak in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm really liking the U.S. cruiser line (up to Cleveland atm) but kinda meh about the BB line. That dispersion is painful though I understand why it is what it is. Shooting 3 straddling salvos at 20km for only 2-3 hits is frustration at its best, especially if none were crits.

I played 1 game as a CV and my planes were shot down while I was trying to figure out what the hell I was doing. 0 damage game. Wish they had a place to practice :(
View Quote

There is a battle vs. Bots mode that is a good way to practice.   You earn fewer credits and xp, but get to try things in a bit safer environment before you go against real players.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
will someone PM me a code pleassee?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Been playing since the beginning. I like it. I play mostly the Destroyers and Cruisers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I need a code, no response from the Beta test application...
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I just hope they never have stats for this game. It kinda took away from the fun of tanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I just hope they never have stats for this game. It kinda took away from the fun of tanks.
View Quote

forever blue

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Looks awesome...in for a code as well if anyone has one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

forever blue

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

forever blue

IKR?   damn, even the front face is blue.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:11:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

forever blue

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

forever blue

Who are you again?  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it gets as popular as WOT, I'm sure there will be all sorts of XVM mods for it and stats will be kept.  I have found myself already checking my profile page to see what my win rate is (48%) and trying to check my after battle damage and kill reports to make sure I'm averaging > 1 kills and > my own damage.   I'm not there yet, but given that we're all pretty motivated to win and also perform at a high level, I'm sure we'll find ways to compare our performance.  :)

What are you guys doing as far as shooting AP or HE?   I've been trying to use HE at first to set ships on fire and do some critical damage, and then switching to AP.   I am not quite able to tell which is better.   Seems like visually the HE shells do more damage but that could just be the special effects.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#15]
What I have heard is that you want to use AP against Battleships and HE against Destroyers/Cruisers.  In some case against the lighter armored boats you tend to over penetrate with AP at closer ranges and don't do the damage you could with HE.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If it gets as popular as WOT, I'm sure there will be all sorts of XVM mods for it and stats will be kept.  I have found myself already checking my profile page to see what my win rate is (48%) and trying to check my after battle damage and kill reports to make sure I'm averaging > 1 kills and > my own damage.   I'm not there yet, but given that we're all pretty motivated to win and also perform at a high level, I'm sure we'll find ways to compare our performance.  :)

What are you guys doing as far as shooting AP or HE?   I've been trying to use HE at first to set ships on fire and do some critical damage, and then switching to AP.   I am not quite able to tell which is better.   Seems like visually the HE shells do more damage but that could just be the special effects.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're probably right.

For distance shots I use HE just to cripple other boats. For shots where I know I can reliably hit the superstructure, I use AP. If I'm in a battleship its AP100% of the time
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:54:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, if that happens they ones playing for the stats will be the ones hanging way back and farming damage. They'll let others duke it out one by one, offering no assistance, and then after others have softened the enemy up, damaged their guns, turrets, steering, and propultion systems, they'll move in at full health, rack up massive damage, and get credit for the kill. And those will be the same ones bitching about the "tomatos", you know, the ones who they are using and let sacrificing themselves in order for them to have the good stats that they'll have. Having in game mods like aiming reticles and mini map mods will be cool, but having anything like in game XVM stats will make the game so less enjoyable.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Been playing since the beginning. I like it. I play mostly the Destroyers and Cruisers.
View Quote

Same here.  It's fun as hell  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#20]
TAG for an invite.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#21]
A guy told me WoT will be pretty desolate once WoW gets out of beta.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
dangit. I got fed up with WOT and started playing War Thunder, now this is calling my name.

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
I don't doubt it. Wot is broken and the player base is getting worse and worse. Bes thing I ever did was turn off chat.

Oh and about the farmers. Its a different story in wot compared to this. The skill in this is maneuvers rather than map awareness. Each tank in wot has its strong points and players who have half a brain will play to them. With ships, yeah, they each have strengths but its not like you can camp bush. And if you overextended, you get crushed, ruthlessly. There is almost margin of error for ships. You can't simply run away if you push around a small island and bam a BB is waiting for you guns at the ready.

Not sure what my point was but bad players will continue to yolo. The smart ones will guard their HP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Something learned yesterday--the Q button will lock your ship into a port turn (correct side Justin?).

Anyways, if that is also your queue button for speaking in TS, it could cause some problems.

OP and I went through that yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yep.  Every time I hit Q to talk, my ship took a hard left turn.  I don't know what exactly is best to do to correct the problem.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something learned yesterday--the Q button will lock your ship into a port turn (correct side Justin?).

Anyways, if that is also your queue button for speaking in TS, it could cause some problems.

Yep.  Every time I hit Q to talk, my ship took a hard left turn.  I don't know what exactly is best to do to correct the problem.

I had that same problem.  I was able to re-assign an extra button on my mouse for the push to talk on TS.  Now I'm not driving like I'm drinking...although while gaming I usually am driving while drinking
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had that same problem.  I was able to re-assign an extra button on my mouse for the push to talk on TS.  Now I'm not driving like I'm drinking...although while gaming I usually am driving while drinking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just went back to fart voice activated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You make good points.  As I noted, there is no "peak and boom" to this game.  Once you commit to go to a certain area, you are committed.  Turning is a long and slow process.

There are no "quick" moves.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh and about the farmers. Its a different story in wot compared to this. The skill in this is maneuvers rather than map awareness. Each tank in wot has its strong points and players who have half a brain will play to them. With ships, yeah, they each have strengths but its not like you can camp bush. And if you overextended, you get crushed, ruthlessly. There is almost margin of error for ships. You can't simply run away if you push around a small island and bam a BB is waiting for you guns at the ready.

Not sure what my point was but bad players will continue to yolo. The smart ones will guard their HP.

You make good points.  As I noted, there is no "peak and boom" to this game.  Once you commit to go to a certain area, you are committed.  Turning is a long and slow process.

Yeah, it is literally like a TOG caught in the open...no mercy given and no chance of escape.  All you can do is go down fighting.

I am using the waypoints a bit more and usually put a few "retreat" points in where if I get into a tussle that I will automatically turn away from the fire and hopefully get out of range ASAP.  My first few games I'd intentionally turn into a fight and realize that I was over committed and typically not able to fight my way out.  

Much like WOT, it seems like the sweet spot it using view range and gun range advantages and work the edges of those ranges.  I've noticed a lot of OPFOR is always just out of my gun range, and I'm realizing they are better than I am (or have more experience) and are intentionally staying just out of my range.

Also, I'm up to level 6 now...any first thoughts on added commander skills and ship upgrades?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Who are you again?  
View Quote

I picked up another bad habit...Mechwarrior Online. Same ole pew pew, but with more colors!

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah, it is literally like a TOG caught in the open...no mercy given and no chance of escape.  All you can do is go down fighting.

I am using the waypoints a bit more and usually put a few "retreat" points in where if I get into a tussle that I will automatically turn away from the fire and hopefully get out of range ASAP.  My first few games I'd intentionally turn into a fight and realize that I was over committed and typically not able to fight my way out.  

Much like WOT, it seems like the sweet spot it using view range and gun range advantages and work the edges of those ranges.  I've noticed a lot of OPFOR is always just out of my gun range, and I'm realizing they are better than I am (or have more experience) and are intentionally staying just out of my range.

Also, I'm up to level 6 now...any first thoughts on added commander skills and ship upgrades?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do as many as you can. They make a difference.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Does the game replicate immune zones for armored warships?
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:24:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

You're probably right.    

For distance shots I use HE just to cripple other boats. For shots where I know I can reliably hit the superstructure, I use AP. If I'm in a battleship its AP100% of the time

View Quote

noob, you only shoot HE at arty...

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep, port is left and starboard is right.

It used to be larboard and starboard, but that shit just sounds too much alike.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Regarding AP/HE:

I only use HE if I'm looking to damage superstructure, maybe disable torpedo launchers or turrets. I'm sure as they develop the damage control model of the game this will be even more relevant.
Otherwise, it's AP. Why? Because once you get the aiming and leading mechanics down, putting a salvo of AP right through the boiler room and machinery gets the job done. While destroyers are thin skinned comparatively, I still want my AP rounds to actually tear up the guuts of the ship. I have been grinding WT for the Tiger for a while, but now that I have it I'll get back on the WoWS beta and get out of the torp spam tiers. Even at low tiers, when the dessies are coming in close, I use AP and focus their engine rooms and the water line. Plenty of times i've managed a KO salvo by taking out its heart. Another is when they are coming head on zig-zagging. AP rounds hitting head on a destroyer can be devastating as they run longitudinally through all the important magazines and machinery. HE is really for shore bombardment, maybe starting fires. An HE salvo to the upper works followed by AP to the guts is the way to go.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't think so. I haven't found a spot on a ship of any class yet that can't be penetrated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:28:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Just picked up a key yesterday from a kind member here and am having a ton of fun. Once I get up a few tiers I'll join the TS and what not again.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just picked up a key yesterday from a kind member here and am having a ton of fun. Once I get up a few tiers I'll join the TS and what not again.
View Quote

Sounds good.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:52:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.  So far I'm just working my way in order on Captain skills with first on repair time / survivability and then the other level 1 skills.  Also focusing on using the upgrades on the ships for reducing repair time on busted main batteries.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Glad you got in!
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I don't think so. I haven't found a spot on a ship of any class yet that can't be penetrated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we're thinking of different things.  Immune zones changes the chance to penetrate based upon distance.  Too close and the shells penetrate through sheer kinetic force.  Too far and the angle of the plunging fire is steep enough to penetrate the thinner deck armor.  The immune zone was the range at which the armor performed the best in combat.  So a battleship with 14 inch guns would be designed to be relatively safe from 14 inch shells between x and y yards.  Outside that range and a much better chance of penetration.  

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Q does that and so does E

Good for when you have to say something in chat but need to turn
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I think we're thinking of different things.  Immune zones changes the chance to penetrate based upon distance.  Too close and the shells penetrate through sheer kinetic force.  Too far and the angle of the plunging fire is steep enough to penetrate the thinner deck armor.  The immune zone was the range at which the armor performed the best in combat.  So a battleship with 14 inch guns would be designed to be relatively safe from 14 inch shells between x and y yards.  Outside that range and a much better chance of penetration.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no doubt warthunder will do this I doubt wargaming will.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#45]
http://games.on.net/2015/03/world-of-warships-closed-beta-keys/

Website randomly giving away 200 keys in a drawing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Do yourselves a favor if you haven't worked everything out already: look up the WoWs Captain's Academy and watch the videos.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mouse with bindable thumb buttons.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Just got my client updated. looking forward to WG destroying this game like they did tanks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Click your captains profile
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top