Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 296
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My intention is to be helpful and not mean, so please excuse me if this sounds mean.  What you're describing is largely player skill - and not just the skill of your opponent, but your lack of skill/experience.  

1.  A ship hidden in a smoke cloud can see you, and aim it's torpedoes and guns.  You sailed in to a trap.  If you're not sitting still or sailing slowly in a straight line, it's almost impossible to be hit by an opponent who can't see you.  I highly recommend (in DDs and CL/CAs) getting the tier 3 commander skill "Situation Awareness", this will let you know when an enemy sees you - even if you can't see him!

Click To View Spoiler

1a.  I'm not sure what you mean about terrain...you can break line of sight behind the landmasses, and usually can't be seen by the enemy.  In fact, a great tactic is a DD hiding behind an island and ambushing a passing ship with a torpedo attack.
- One more related tip: in the Port screen, you can see the distance your ship can be detected at with an unobstructed view:

Click To View Spoiler

2.  Sure, once in a while there's a lucky shot that strikes the citadel, but it's usually the good aim of the player putting the shots in the area where they need to be.  There's a great post in the official beta forum describing armor angling and how to position your ship to mitigate the enemy's attack:
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19618-armour-angling-visual-guide/
That doesn't mean that any ship is going to survive heavy, concentrated fire, though.  If you're caught out in the open (especially at close range) for any length of time, expect to be sunk.

If you're inside of 10km, scoring citadel hits is generally pretty easy when you know where to aim.

3.  Torpedo planes are great once you figure them out, but they're a bit tricky at first.  I don't play a lot of carrier, so I suggest reading the excellent guides on the official beta forum.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just my opinion.  

1.  Game relies too much on luck.  Like a load of torps popping out of the smoke.  No time to turn weather or not your are a good or bad player, doesn't matter, you just got nuked by luck.  Too much 2D like that.  The whole game is 2D.  My destroyer gets 1 shotted by someone lucky that didn't even see me, but got a lucky hit.  This happens too often.  Since you can't use terrain like you can in WOT, 2D maneuverability becomes very important.  You could mitigate luck by having more responsiveness from the player.  The game is, in fact, an arcade game, lets add in some required skill and take out some luck factor. Why not make the destroyers faster and more maneuverable, like the scouts in WOT?  Make the cruisers a bit faster and more maneuverable also.  Or maybe add in a speed boost perk that you can use to speed up for a short time in the smaller ships.  

2.  What is up with the ratio of citadel hits?  This happens way way too much.  Destroyer just 1 shotted by a cruiser.  My battleship taken down 3/4 health by 1 lucky shot to the citadel.  I feel like I'm the Hood vs the Bismark even though in the game i'm fighting equal enemies.  

3.  Improve the way torpedo planes aim, so you can manually lay out how you want the spread and the planes will line up for you.  Maybe it already does this? but I haven't figured that out.  

ETA:  Just now, 3 shotted by a cruiser in my DD.  First shot ruined the engine, next shot caused fire and re-ruined my engine and rudder, 3rd shot dead.  Was way far away, even though I was zigzagging...  Not enough ability to zigzag I don't think, need more responsiveness on the small ships.  I care less about the game being so realistic as to make it not fun.  Either he was hacking (don't think so) or it was luck.  Too much luck once again.

My intention is to be helpful and not mean, so please excuse me if this sounds mean.  What you're describing is largely player skill - and not just the skill of your opponent, but your lack of skill/experience.  

1.  A ship hidden in a smoke cloud can see you, and aim it's torpedoes and guns.  You sailed in to a trap.  If you're not sitting still or sailing slowly in a straight line, it's almost impossible to be hit by an opponent who can't see you.  I highly recommend (in DDs and CL/CAs) getting the tier 3 commander skill "Situation Awareness", this will let you know when an enemy sees you - even if you can't see him!

Click To View Spoiler

1a.  I'm not sure what you mean about terrain...you can break line of sight behind the landmasses, and usually can't be seen by the enemy.  In fact, a great tactic is a DD hiding behind an island and ambushing a passing ship with a torpedo attack.
- One more related tip: in the Port screen, you can see the distance your ship can be detected at with an unobstructed view:

Click To View Spoiler

2.  Sure, once in a while there's a lucky shot that strikes the citadel, but it's usually the good aim of the player putting the shots in the area where they need to be.  There's a great post in the official beta forum describing armor angling and how to position your ship to mitigate the enemy's attack:
http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/19618-armour-angling-visual-guide/
That doesn't mean that any ship is going to survive heavy, concentrated fire, though.  If you're caught out in the open (especially at close range) for any length of time, expect to be sunk.

If you're inside of 10km, scoring citadel hits is generally pretty easy when you know where to aim.

3.  Torpedo planes are great once you figure them out, but they're a bit tricky at first.  I don't play a lot of carrier, so I suggest reading the excellent guides on the official beta forum.

Thanks for the answers.  

I still think that WOWS has the larger "luck" effect, instead of skill.  Repeated game play confirms this to me.  And I have read the game guides, how to aim, the angling of your ship, where to aim, etc etc.  They do help overall, but the amount in negligible compared to the huge luck part.  Especially compared to WOT.  This may just be a part of the game that you have to accept, but will probably be the reason I won't play long.   Getting nuked for 3/4 or all of my health by a lower or equal opponent with 1 hit isn't what I think is fun.  And there is no way that aiming plays a pays much of a part at 12km when my ship has a completely different angle that when he fired the shots.  Just ruins the game for me.    

At a minimum they need to do away with citadel hits doing so much damage.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:28:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you're in a BB and you're within torpedo range of 3 DDs, the strength of the torpedoes is not the problem.

Torpedoes dropped from planes also do significantly less damage than those launched by a DD. I just upgraded to the Fuso, but my Kongo could take 4 or 5 plane-dropped torpedoes and shrug it off. I've take 3 from a DD, hit "repair" and "repair party", and was back to full HP before the fight was over.

Also, BBs don't seem to hit their prime until the Kongo. The Kawachi doesn't have the range to play like a BB, and the Myogi isn't even a battleship at all, but a battlecruiser. They are nimble but lack the armor to slug it out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
After 3 days of playing ... torpedoes need to be re-adjusted.  

"Oh, your a battleship?  Well here's three flights of torpedo planes dropping on you, from two directions, and 3 DDs sending 6 each.   Enjoy the game."

TRG

If you're in a BB and you're within torpedo range of 3 DDs, the strength of the torpedoes is not the problem.

Torpedoes dropped from planes also do significantly less damage than those launched by a DD. I just upgraded to the Fuso, but my Kongo could take 4 or 5 plane-dropped torpedoes and shrug it off. I've take 3 from a DD, hit "repair" and "repair party", and was back to full HP before the fight was over.

Also, BBs don't seem to hit their prime until the Kongo. The Kawachi doesn't have the range to play like a BB, and the Myogi isn't even a battleship at all, but a battlecruiser. They are nimble but lack the armor to slug it out.

Probably part of my problem.  I am in the myogi and trying to get the needed EXP to move to the Kongo

TRG
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking Minekaze's
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ha ha.... I just bitch capped Chieftain.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Sweet. Thanks for the code Blackhawk. Currently downloading. You guys should have a newbie on in a few minutes to destroy.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's
View Quote

I'm about 400xp away.   good or bad?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I still think that WOWS has the larger "luck" effect, instead of skill.  Repeated game play confirms this to me.  And I have read the game guides, how to aim, the angling of your ship, where to aim, etc etc.  They do help overall, but the amount in negligible compared to the huge luck part.  Especially compared to WOT.  This may just be a part of the game that you have to accept, but will probably be the reason I won't play long.   Getting nuked for 3/4 or all of my health by a lower or equal opponent with 1 hit isn't what I think is fun.  And there is no way that aiming plays a pays much of a part at 12km when my ship has a completely different angle that when he fired the shots.  Just ruins the game for me.    

At a minimum they need to do away with citadel hits doing so much damage.  

View Quote
I think that luck factor, however, is realistic.  You're shooting guns over several miles in various weather conditions with barrels that wouldn't last through an average Arfcommer's range sessions.  There is a lot of luck involved, like when Bismarck one-shotted Hood.  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, so far I've got one game under my belt..a victory to boot! It's going to take me a while to get used to turning speed, and speed in general. I think I like it.
Not sure how much I'm going to play since I'm just getting comfortable launching Mavericks and dropping bombs in the A10-C in DCS world.
I couldn't log in with WOT acct. so I had to create a new account, so my name on WOWs is toosonmike.

Thanks for the code Blackhawk!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:42:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know Wargaming can't don much to drive team work in pub matches, but there has to be some way to discourage the selfish individual play.   Rant off.
View Quote

Let's just hope they don't implement the "Missions" like they did in WoT here.  They have been the single biggest problem in tanks since the majority of the missions reward individual play without regards for the battle outcome.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's

It's a great DD.  Stealthy as hell, good torps (the stock ones are better than the upgrades due to their speed).
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:17:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's a great DD.  Stealthy as hell, good torps (the stock ones are better than the upgrades due to their speed).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's

The speed is nice for some midrange shots, but I like being able to launch a spread in to a choke point.  The longer range and slower speed actually works to your advantage in that case.

In close, the speed doesn't matter because they're not going to be able to dodge anyway.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it bad that I'm taking a break from the shit teams in WOWs to play WOT, where it will be even worse?  

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's

I haven't played one, but I've played against those Klingon motherfuckers too often!

Cloaky as fuck. We are talking disappearing within 2km.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Let's just hope they don't implement the "Missions" like they did in WoT here.  They have been the single biggest problem in tanks since the majority of the missions reward individual play without regards for the battle outcome.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know Wargaming can't don much to drive team work in pub matches, but there has to be some way to discourage the selfish individual play.   Rant off.

It's not the missions that make people play as individuals, it's just the way it is with pubs. Same as here already. You get some people who do some good shit for others. I'm looking at you Mr. Cruiser who sped in and ate all those torps for me earlier, I'm sure Davy Jones has a nice spot in that locker of his for ya
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:28:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Is it bad that I'm taking a break from the shit teams in WOWs to play WOT, where it will be even worse?  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn that's some amazing shit. Some dude was cit hitting everyone at range like a boss. 2 salvo'd our Fuso. Shit was whack!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#17]
The Fuso is a mean bitch. I love this ship.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Fuso is a mean bitch. I love this ship.
View Quote

This may inspire me to give it another shake. Had it in my docks, and it's been most of a week since last I played it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:15:09 PM EDT
[#19]

A loss from a couple of days back in a Phoenix.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The speed is nice for some midrange shots, but I like being able to launch a spread in to a choke point.  The longer range and slower speed actually works to your advantage in that case.

In close, the speed doesn't matter because they're not going to be able to dodge anyway.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's

I like launching in closer with the faster torps because the further out you launch them, the further out they are detected.  It has worked well for me.  I avg 7 torp hits and 3 kills a game with my Minekaze right now....
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:25:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Which way is best in the US line? I have enough to move from the Erie(although, I kinda like it.)
On another note, I've been on one losing team so far! Let the hurt begin!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Killed a Yamato, Baltimore, Ibuki, and a Mogami. Tough game - those Yamatos have some crazy armor. The New Orleans that was helping me fight him only penned like once and I bounced at least one full salvo. Nagato stronkaru!
(XP shown is with 1.5x)

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Found a bit of a bug.
Got my DD stuck in this spot. I was a ship's width from this shore line when I came to an abrupt halt after being 2/3 of the way past that jut. Forward or reverse only pulled it in tighter against the land. Ship would not leave that spot the whole round. Red outline is where I was when I hit.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:14:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Omaha is fun...big fun.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:34:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Is there a way to change the default ammo type loaded at the beginning of the round? I keep forgetting to switch to AP when playing BBs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:40:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is there a way to change the default ammo type loaded at the beginning of the round? I keep forgetting to switch to AP when playing BBs.
View Quote

Double-tapping the 2 key will force an AP reload, but as far as I know, there's no way to start the game with AP loaded.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#27]
This was a nice game.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Double-tapping the 2 key will force an AP reload, but as far as I know, there's no way to start the game with AP loaded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can select the ammo type while the countdown is running.  All weapons (including torpedoes) have to load at the beginning or a match,  regardless if you switch ammo or not.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You can select the ammo type while the countdown is running.  All weapons (including torpedoes) have to load at the beginning or a match,  regardless if you switch ammo or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know, I just forget to do it occasionally. Nothing like spotting a distant BB, lining up the shot then realizing you're going to be firing HE because you forgot to switch to AP.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Bkackhawk:

Some feedback for you.

When in a division (platoon), more often than not, the teammates start on opposite sides of the map.  Is there a way that players in a division can start in roughly the same area?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking Minekaze's

Good to know, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:11:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Omaha is fun...big fun.

http://i.imgur.com/jrunVZt.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, I like the Omaha.  It can really tear up the enemy, although I'm not yet good enough to be able to take on higher tier boats.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Couple of minor issues to note:

1)  During login, it doesn't seem to save my password correctly.  I re-enter the same password as was saved, and then it logs in fine.

2)  I've noticed that the ships don't track very well to way points.   I've had a few that I've set to intentionally navigate close to an island but that should give me enough room to safely clear them.  What will happen is that the boat won't be tracking to the way point, and in the last 100m or so, it will make hard rudder input to try to hi the waypoint.  This has steered me into the island a few times when the intended track was to parallel it.   It may not be a game issue per se as much as just needing to better understand how the ship will react.

3)  I've had a few intermittent issues going into sniper mode when I'm zoomed all the way out in a "God's eye" view.  I'm using a mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out.  When trying to scroll back into sniper mode, it would not zoom in further than the "normal" view outside of the ship.  Shift key also did not work.  After about 30 seconds of clicking, hitting shift key, scrolling, etc. I finally got it to go into the sniper mode.  Not sure if it was a game issue or an issue on my part.

All in all I really like the game.  I think the mechanics are pretty good and as we all get used to different strengths of different vessels we can play them better.  I've of course been very vocal about the general lack of strategic thinking by most of the players thus far, but that can't be fixed easily unless the after battle payout structure some how can account for good team play.   Perhaps a small boost in income if you hit a ship that has been designated as a key target by a team mate?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Which way is best in the US line? I have enough to move from the Erie(although, I kinda like it.)
On another note, I've been on one losing team so far! Let the hurt begin!
View Quote

I liked the Chester quite a bit. I still have it as an elite tank. The St. Louis has a ton of guns, but it's slow as hell so be ready for that.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Jblomenberg, you made it on YouTube yesterday.... And you were the first to die.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Jblomenberg, you made it on YouTube yesterday.... And you were the first to die.
View Quote

LOL!!!  Who's stream was it, and what sorts of colorful things did I say to my team???   Got a link?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
LOL!!!  Who's stream was it, and what sorts of colorful things did I say to my team???   Got a link?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

C_menz. You were in a 30 minute video of him playing carriers....unsuccessfully. Starting at 19 minutes. I think you rammed a team mate. All you wrote was "sorry" and you were dead 2 minutes later. I don't think you wrote anything else. I just happened to catch it and thought it was kinda neat seeing you on there.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

C_menz. You were in a 30 minute video of him playing carriers....unsuccessfully. Starting at 19 minutes. I think you rammed a team mate. All you wrote was "sorry" and you were dead 2 minutes later. I don't think you wrote anything else. I just happened to catch it and thought it was kinda neat seeing you on there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's famous now!  Can I get an autograph?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I made it into one of iChase's videos. I got the first kill and I was the first to die on our team.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I made it into one of iChase's videos. I got the first kill and I was the first to die on our team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TRTmwdBNg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TRTmwdBNg

I'm developing a morbid fear of appearing in a stream as an example of what not to do.

About the last thing I need in this life is to have the Mighty Jingles laughing at me.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:27:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This is it.

Another money pit.

View Quote

Without reading the entire thread...........I have to admit that I have no idea what you are saying?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Without reading the entire thread...........I have to admit that I have no idea what you are saying?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is it.

Another money pit.

I do.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a code I applied few weeks back but haven't heard anything.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool!  I'll look for it.  I think I remember that game.  I think my waypoints put me too close to a guy and then as I come past an island, I got lit up by something.  Might have been one of those games I got "ammo racked" earlier this week.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust me...its not worth the paper it is written on, even if that paper is in my check book!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Ugh, that was an ugly 10 games this morning.

2 wins, 8 losses.

Got wet every single match.

One-shotted by a BB twice.

And just to make the morning extra-special, my team mate ran a whole spread of torps all up in my ass...boom.

Sigh.

It's enough to make a man take up drinking at noon.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Ugh, that was an ugly 10 games this morning.

2 wins, 8 losses.

Got wet every single match.

One-shotted by a BB twice.

And just to make the morning extra-special, my team mate ran a whole spread of torps all up in my ass...boom.

Sigh.

It's enough to make a man take up continue drinking at noon.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Nothing like going up against a Fuso that has 80% health when you're down to 20% and winning with 5 Citadel hits in one salvo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nothing like going up against a Fuso that has 80% health when you're down to 20% and winning with 5 Citadel hits in one salvo.
View Quote

Very satisfying when you pull it off, rage inducing when it happens to you.
Page / 296
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top