BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Considering the alternatives, or just the reasonably priced alternatives, AA seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Yeh ever notice that some folks need to see a 100% success rate or something is a failure.  There aren't many things I expect a 100% success rate.  One of those is landings when I'm flying.
View Quote

Oh, you will ALWAYS land.

Now, whether it's a nice trip fighting your way off a plane, or inside a flaming ball of scrap metal and avgas is the part that has varying rates.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...Not only does AA provide help for at least some of the people that try it, but it also does it without any outside contribution from taxpayers or society at large. I would much rather have alcoholics go to meetings to help them stay sober than go in and out of expensive medical treatment programs that Obamacare has mandated insurance companies pay for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...Not only does AA provide help for at least some of the people that try it, but it also does it without any outside contribution from taxpayers or society at large. I would much rather have alcoholics go to meetings to help them stay sober than go in and out of expensive medical treatment programs that Obamacare has mandated insurance companies pay for.

FWIW:
In 1970, Senator Harold Hughes of Iowa, a member of AA, persuaded Congress to pass the Comprehensive Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Prevention, Treatment, and Rehabilitation Act. It called for the establishment of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, and dedicated funding for the study and treatment of alcoholism. The NIAAA, in turn, funded Marty Mann’s nonprofit advocacy group, the National Council on Alcoholism, to educate the public. The nonprofit became a mouthpiece for AA’s beliefs, especially the importance of abstinence, and has at times worked to quash research that challenges those beliefs.

Also, don't think that insurance companies are the victims of obungo care.  They wrote the bill, in essence if not literally.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
it worked for me. i got sober and quit 7/14/1988
havent had a drink since then, i outgrew the meetings many
years ago,and im not a alcoholic anymore....if i drank today,im sure i would
quickly end up back where i came from. so i just dont drink,pretty simple.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So does just quitting.

In my experience I saw a LOT of miserable people feigning happiness through the program, a few who really took it to heart and changed their thinking, and quite a few who actually had their progress hindered or damaged by AA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Other than AA, a serious gutter ball event, or religious conversion, or some combination of the proceedings death is the only cure for true drunks that I know of.

well, there is the anecdtal expericne of some random guy and there is double blind repetable scientific research.  

Its not surpriseing that in your experience, in the US the predomanance of AA thinking and its various concepts such as "hitting bottom" "one an alcaholic always an alcaholic" etc have so permutated our culture, partially through this congressional funding arrangement setup by that Iowa senator described in the article, that most people are unaware that there are alternatives that are the producs of real scientific research.

Well it sure seems to work for people who want it to work. Like most things.

So does just quitting.

In my experience I saw a LOT of miserable people feigning happiness through the program, a few who really took it to heart and changed their thinking, and quite a few who actually had their progress hindered or damaged by AA.

+1 AA meetings made me want to drink. Been sober for 14 years without AA or NA
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, are you an alcoholic?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Golf clap.

Addicts need to learn some discipline and self control.  The rest of us can have a few beers act like a normal person.  For an addict, alcohol, drugs, whatever their crutch of the month, is just an excuse to unleash their unchecked narcissism.

THEN be free from the consequences......."it's not me, it's the alcohol"

Addicts / Narcissists / Borderlines are all weak people looking to shirk responsibility for their actions.

Then can stop any time they want, they just choose not too.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AA is a bunch of bullshit. Telling people they are not capable of handling themselves and they must submit to something else for strength isn't empowering, it's a transaction where they try to trade one crutch for another. Im so tired of victimization in all its forms, especially AfuckingA.

Golf clap.

Addicts need to learn some discipline and self control.  The rest of us can have a few beers act like a normal person.  For an addict, alcohol, drugs, whatever their crutch of the month, is just an excuse to unleash their unchecked narcissism.

Addicts / Narcissists / Borderlines are all weak people looking to shirk responsibility for their actions.

Do you write for The Onion? Is your response the well executed satire it appears to be?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I was in and out of rehabs and jail for years dealing with my issues with alcohol.

I have done 90 meetings in 90 days, and been to both AA focused and non AA rehabs.

I just ticked past two years of sobriety, and have made a 180 degree turnaround in my life.

I personally am not an AA guy.

The program emphasizes with every mantra, every chant, every meeting, the philosophy that you have no control over yourself. That the addiction is stronger than you are, that you are a victim of a disease, that you can't control yourself, that only AA can help, over and over and over again.

This never jived with me. I had to learn that life requires me to be in control of myself, it requires me to stand by my convictions, it requires me to make an effort, and it requires me to take the good with the bad and shrug it off. Being happy and content means understanding that you can do anything, including quitting drinking, if you put your mind to it. I learned to believe in myself, and as a result I quit drinking and drew myself up out of a deep, lifelong depression.

I believe AA sets many people up to fail in this manner. It doesn't reaffirm the individual, it doesn't enforce that YES! you can fucking do it. It just dwells on, and constantly fetishizes, the addiction. I saw time and time again, if a person found themselves in a situation where they had a beer, mentally they had BAM gone back to square negative 100, and instead of exhibiting any kind of self control, just gave in and went on a destructive bender. The mindset is not, "adapt, learn, improve" it is "come to meetings or fall into the pit of despair and doom."

I wanted to move on in my life, I want'ed to be normal, I wanted to be happy.

The last thing I want to do now is sit in a room and think solely about alcohol, about addiction, about that next drink. I have a life to live.

Also, the rate of success for people seeking to quit drinking is the same, regardless of what method they choose to use. Simply deciding to quit, going to rehab, or attending AA all have about a 5% success rate.

You have to make up your mind to do it!

View Quote

Keep up the sobriety.  Good job on two years sober!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Exactly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, alcoholism can't be a disease if the cure is going to meetings in order to have a spiritual awakening.  Imagine if we gave someone some treatment for cancer and when it failed we told them it was because they just didn't want it bad enough.

Exactly.

Alcoholism is due to their drinking. Some just cannot drink normally. The cure is not picking up the first drink.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:01:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Golf clap.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
AA is a bunch of bullshit. Telling people they are not capable of handling themselves and they must submit to something else for strength isn't empowering, it's a transaction where they try to trade one crutch for another. Im so tired of victimization in all its forms, especially AfuckingA.

Golf clap.

If all your bullshit were true, AA still works for a  whole lot of these awful, self indulgent weaklings. You can bash alcoholics, junkies and problem drinkers all you like, the proof is in the pudding.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

man, I get that you want people to be responsible for them selves, to be held resonsible, but we know a lot abought the actual brain chemistry involved in real alcoholosm, same as other addictions, ther is a real phisoliogical component that presents very specific challenges to the whole process where by a normal man is said to make a deliberate rational decision.  The whole situation that they have themseves in is a choice that they are responsible for, but getting out of the situation isn't as simple as deciding to have chicken rather than steak for dinner.  

The problem w/ AA is that it sort of undertands alcoholism as a disease, whatever they mean by that exactly, but they don't chose to have any reference to the understanding and treatments that have come from research in the last many decades or even address it in a medical fashion.  THey are a fundementally conservative organization, as in resistent to progress in its respective field, which doesn't admit for input from scientific research, nor do they admit that there are a spectrum of appropiate treatments for a spectrum of different forms/levels of alcohol abuse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Golf clap.

man, I get that you want people to be responsible for them selves, to be held resonsible, but we know a lot abought the actual brain chemistry involved in real alcoholosm, same as other addictions, ther is a real phisoliogical component that presents very specific challenges to the whole process where by a normal man is said to make a deliberate rational decision.  The whole situation that they have themseves in is a choice that they are responsible for, but getting out of the situation isn't as simple as deciding to have chicken rather than steak for dinner.  

The problem w/ AA is that it sort of undertands alcoholism as a disease, whatever they mean by that exactly, but they don't chose to have any reference to the understanding and treatments that have come from research in the last many decades or even address it in a medical fashion.  THey are a fundementally conservative organization, as in resistent to progress in its respective field, which doesn't admit for input from scientific research, nor do they admit that there are a spectrum of appropiate treatments for a spectrum of different forms/levels of alcohol abuse.

Here's the problem with "addicts", they all share most of the following negative personality traits:

Lack of self discipline
Lack of giving a fuck of hurting those around them that love them, with their wreckless, self destructive narcissism.
Moral weakness
If it wasn't the booze it would be drugs, gambling, women, etc.
Self destructiveness
Self loathing
An amazing ability to always abrogate responsibility for their actions

It ain't the booze that's the problem.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#13]

If you ever want to see what REAL alcoholics LOOK like, venture into any VFW on a Saturday around noon.  Smoking cig's and already on their 3rd drink.
My advice to anyone that winds up on a barstool more than twice a week at the VFW......do a gut check and see if you can quit cold turkey for 30 days.
If not, you got big problems.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's also unconstitutional to force someone to participate in AA (or should be) as it requires a belief in a god /higher power
View Quote

Judge ordered me to ASAP (a fucking scam but that's another thread), ASAP ordered me to AA.  Since ASAP is essentially probation; if you don't do everything they tell you to do then you get sent back to court for failure to comply.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#16]
I had my last drink 6/24/88 and went to AA meetings for about 3 years.
I have been sober for 27 years now and am glad I did the first 3 years.
27 years ago I was dead broke financially and just retired with 7 figures in the bank.
AA changed my way of thinking and decision making process and I don't give a rats ass for those that have never had to sober up yet think they have a qualified opinion on the subject.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's also unconstitutional to force someone to participate in AA (or should be) as it requires a belief in a god /higher power
View Quote

So, from the AA theory side of the house, the higher power doesn't have to be god, and certainly not the Judeo-Christian one.  A lot of people end up with that, because it's what they know, or what their sponsors know.  I knew a guy who decided that trees and nature were his higher power.  That said, you're not likely to find a lot of sympathetic ears if you don't toe Bill's line about God.

On the legal side, it's not so much forced as offered as an "alternative" to jail.  You can go to the Gray Bar Hotel or you can go to meetings.  You can opt out of AA and do something like Rational Recovery, but since most people know about AA, they end up in AA.   Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco found it unconstitutional I believe, but if you're standing before a judge, good luck springing that on him and not ending up in jail.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:19:42 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to both AA and NA meetings with my ex trying to get her to quit.

Very different types of meetings. The NA was very uplifting. The AA was very regimented and I wanted to drink when I left.

Actually I had come straight from work to go with her to the meeting. I was wearing my work clothes and very dirty. The guy came up to me and wanted to know about my drinking problem. My wife had to stop him and explain that I wasn't an alcoholic and I was just there to support her.

I just look like an alcoholic!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
That "tony stark" model of alcoholism where ohmigod you can never touch it or you will be overcome and wake up in Bangkok married to a transsexual midget is bullshit, AA just skips having people deal with whatever social/family etc problems lead to their abusing alcohol with mumbo jumbo and abstinence. Sure it works, is it the best answer, nope,
View Quote

With all due respect, you don't know much about AA or the wide spectrum that is problem drinking. Which is kind of nice, for you. But what do you accomplish if you convince a drunk to not bother with AA, when it could have helped him? Don't do that. Let people try it, see if it works or doesn't. Let them use it for what it can do for them, maybe in conjunction with psychotherapy or CBT. People respect you and listen to you, you know?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Here's the problem with "addicts", they all share most of the following negative personality traits:

Lack of self discipline
Lack of giving a fuck of hurting those around them that love them, with their wreckless, self destructive narcissism.
Moral weakness
Self destructiveness
Self loathing

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Golf clap.

Lack of self discipline
Moral weakness
Self destructiveness
Self loathing

Where did the drunkard touch you?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's a supreme power outside yourself, call it Ooga booga, God, Crom, still unconstitutional. Sure it's done all the time, even by super liberal judges in ny. Although most judges here have figured out you can't make people go, they can just lie and say they went, sign in sheets etc are a violation of AA. "Sure I went"  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, from the AA theory side of the house, the higher power doesn't have to be god, and certainly not the Judeo-Christian one.  A lot of people end up with that, because it's what they know, or what their sponsors know.  I knew a guy who decided that trees and nature were his higher power.  That said, you're not likely to find a lot of sympathetic ears if you don't toe Bill's line about God.

On the legal side, it's not so much forced as offered as an "alternative" to jail.  You can go to the Gray Bar Hotel or you can go to meetings.  You can opt out of AA and do something like Rational Recovery, but since most people know about AA, they end up in AA.   Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco found it unconstitutional I believe, but if you're standing before a judge, good luck springing that on him and not ending up in jail.
It's a supreme power outside yourself, call it Ooga booga, God, Crom, still unconstitutional. Sure it's done all the time, even by super liberal judges in ny. Although most judges here have figured out you can't make people go, they can just lie and say they went, sign in sheets etc are a violation of AA. "Sure I went"  

Didn't say I agreed with it, but that's their out and the circumstances in which you'd challenge it typically aren't the most favorable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Other than AA, a serious gutter ball event, or religious conversion, or some combination of the proceedings death is the only cure for true drunks that I know of.
View Quote

my uncle would drink anything he did rubbing alcohol once and still went back to drinking when he got out of the hospital he finally quit when he fell down the stairs and broke his neck.

barely knew him as he was a drunk and was mostly an outcast because of it i remember my dad picking him up from bars and shit a few times.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#26]
What exactly is the point of this thread.  Does the OP think that because there may be better options for the treatment of alcoholism that AA should go away?  It's free and it works for many people.  How can anyone have a problem with that?  I've never been to AA but I go to NA meetings regularly.  I've been clean for 2 months tomorrow.  That may not seem like long to people who've never dealt with an addiction, but for me it's huge.  While I don't agree with every aspect of the NA program I can say that it's the only thing I've found that works for me.  I've tried dealing with it alone, turned to my wife for help, talked to close friend, sought help through my church and none of it helped very much at all.  I can't afford treatment centers.  NA has probably saved my life.  To me the best thing about NA and AA is that it's one addict helping another.  I find that more helpful than seeking help from a Dr. that doesn't know shit about how actually feels to be an addict.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:44:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol, only in GD would people bitch and moan over a program that costs them no money and doesn't affect them in anyway unless they choose to participate in it and has a proven track record of helping people.

But, but, but, they say God!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Golf clap.

Lack of self discipline
Moral weakness
Self destructiveness
Self loathing

Just the tree of truth........
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That "tony stark" model of alcoholism where ohmigod you can never touch it or you will be overcome and wake up in Bangkok married to a transsexual midget is bullshit, AA just skips having people deal with whatever social/family etc problems lead to their abusing alcohol with mumbo jumbo and abstinence. Sure it works, is it the best answer, nope,
View Quote

You don't know much about AA do you?  The ignorance in this thread is unfuckingbelievable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What exactly is the point of this thread.  Does the OP think that because there may be better options for the treatment of alcoholism that AA should go away?  It's free and it works for many people.  How can anyone have a problem with that?  I've never been to AA but I go to NA meetings regularly.  I've been clean for 2 months tomorrow.  That may not seem like long to people who've never dealt with an addiction, but for me it's huge.  While I don't agree with every aspect of the NA program I can say that it's the only thing I've found that works for me.  I've tried dealing with it alone, turned to my wife for help, talked to close friend, sought help through my church and none of it helped very much at all.  I can't afford treatment centers.  NA has probably saved my life.  To me the best thing about NA and AA is that it's one addict helping another.  I find that more helpful than seeking help from a Dr. that doesn't know shit about how actually feels to be an addict.
View Quote

I think it was more of "Hey, look, here's an interesting tidbit", especially with the whole Bill W taking belladona and the current research into things like treating addiction and PTSD with hallucinogens and MDMA.  I don't think he was crapping on AA per se.

AA works for some people.  To The Penguin's point, others might need to figure out the underlying issues.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think it was more of "Hey, look, here's an interesting tidbit", especially with the whole Bill W taking belladona and the current research into things like treating addiction and PTSD with hallucinogens and MDMA.  I don't think he was crapping on AA per se.

AA works for some people.  To The Penguin's point, others might need to figure out the underlying issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do the steps you will find out the issues.  You'll find out a lot about yourself and learn how to deal with it.  The people I've met at NA that have worked the steps are some of the best people I've ever met.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I've got over twenty five years of dealing with alcoholics and various treatment providers. I'm not telling anyone not to go to AA. But it's a way to avoid dealing with underlying problems. Anyone who takes the advice of a cartoon penguin on the Internet on how to handle their substance abuse problems has bigger problems than drinking too much  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With all due respect, you don't know much about AA or the wide spectrum that is problem drinking. Which is kind of nice, for you. But what do you accomplish if you convince a drunk to not bother with AA, when it could have helped him? Don't do that. Let people try it, see if it works or doesn't. Let them use it for what it can do for them, maybe in conjunction with psychotherapy or CBT. People respect you and listen to you, you know?
I've got over twenty five years of dealing with alcoholics and various treatment providers. I'm not telling anyone not to go to AA. But it's a way to avoid dealing with underlying problems. Anyone who takes the advice of a cartoon penguin on the Internet on how to handle their substance abuse problems has bigger problems than drinking too much  

That may mean you're only seeing a part of the spectrum.

I've heard people in AA analyzing why they drink, and many see shrinks at the same time. Anything can be a way to avoid true introspection, but AA isn't worse than say, getting more exercise building model planes. It's just a support group with a belief and action buffet if you want it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Golf clap.

Lack of self discipline
Moral weakness
Self destructiveness
Self loathing

And your truth is helpful how? Your tree is rotten from root to leaf.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If you do the steps you will find out the issues.  You'll find out a lot about yourself and learn how to deal with it.  The people I've met at NA that have worked the steps are some of the best people I've ever met.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it depends on the person.  AA didn't work for me.  Tried cold turkey and almost died (DTs are a stone bitch), did detox and rehab and meetings and kept falling off.  AA just never sat right with me for my own reasons.  It took really looking at myself and wondering why I was trying to commit suicide one 750ml and 4 Mickey's tall boys every night for about a decade and then working through that.  No shrinks, no meetings, some good friends and family and a lot of time with myself.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:13:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess that makes me a fast learner.  I've spent 3 months in a similar program and know more about AA than you picked up in 25 years!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

A fundamental tenet of AA's approach is "higher power".

Atheists can't have that.

So it is now under attack as reactionary dogma, comrade.

View Quote

We all know that "higher power" is God or Jesus or something.  The same technique is used by Intelligent Design proponents, e.g. wonder who could be all powerful and quite a designer, must be God!  wink wink

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry Aimless, but like so many other people in this thread you just don't understand jack shit about AA.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#40]
That article is a complete load of crap. Talk about cherry-picking, this guy does it.

AA doesn't cost a penny to go to. So the whole argument about costs is worthless.

The part about hitting bottom is also bullshit. In the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous there is a part that addresses recovery before completely destroying your life. Written 80 years ago.

AA does not claim to be the only way to recover. If some members say otherwise, it is their opinion not AA's.

AA does not have much money so they can't do research.

I could go on but it would take a lot of time and get boring to the reader.

Lastly, look as AA's success. Millions of people owe their lives to AA.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
FWIW:

Also, don't think that insurance companies are the victims of obungo care.  They wrote the bill, in essence if not literally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FWIW:

In 1970, Senator Harold Hughes of Iowa, a member of AA, persuaded Congress to pass the Comprehensive Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Prevention, Treatment, and Rehabilitation Act. It called for the establishment of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, and dedicated funding for the study and treatment of alcoholism. The NIAAA, in turn, funded Marty Mann’s nonprofit advocacy group, the National Council on Alcoholism, to educate the public. The nonprofit became a mouthpiece for AA’s beliefs, especially the importance of abstinence, and has at times worked to quash research that challenges those beliefs.

Your quote in BOLD didn't prove a thing. AA does not cost taxpayers or even the alcoholic a thing. It survives by contributions.

Why are you attacking AA? What have they done to you?

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:28:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:31:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I think the point is there is more than one way to treat alcohol addiction.
View Quote

Nonsense.  Everything must be the same, or the country's done for.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:31:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Trading one addiction for another. If it works for you, great! By all means if it works for you, do it.

I was addicted to cigarettes many years ago, now I'm not. The very smell of cigarette smoke makes me wanna puke now.

Thus, the term "Once an addict, always an addict..." is complete and utter horseshit.

I had the chicken pox when I was a kid, I don't have it now either and I doubt I'll ever have it again.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rational Recovery
Ever wonder why alcoholics and problem drinkers drink so much? It’s because alcohol produces in them a pleasure greater than all others — an unspoken pleasure far greater than the normal survival drives of sex, eating, family life, the desire to succeed in life, and physical safety. The resulting drive to repeat that pleasure is proportionately stronger than normal survival drives. Alcohol is a synthetic, man-made substance, among a group of synthetic drugs that produce pleasure greater than evolution has prepared us to manage, a disorienting pleasure that causes one's moral compass to point south toward death rather than toward true north and life.

ORLY?  

AA is not the only group that is a little light on science....

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Bold = Pure Bullshit. You have zero knowledge of AA. The 12 Steps and continuing to work them is all about your life, the people in it and what lead up to your coming to AA. What a ridiculous comment.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Fruits can ferment into alcohol all by themselves and this even happens on the tree and on the ground below the tree.  Animals can get drunk eating that fruit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Rational Recovery
Ever wonder why alcoholics and problem drinkers drink so much? It’s because alcohol produces in them a pleasure greater than all others — an unspoken pleasure far greater than the normal survival drives of sex, eating, family life, the desire to succeed in life, and physical safety. The resulting drive to repeat that pleasure is proportionately stronger than normal survival drives. Alcohol is a synthetic, man-made substance, among a group of synthetic drugs that produce pleasure greater than evolution has prepared us to manage, a disorienting pleasure that causes one's moral compass to point south toward death rather than toward true north and life.
Fruits can ferment into alcohol all by themselves and this even happens on the tree and on the ground below the tree.  Animals can get drunk eating that fruit.

Alcohol fermentation occurs in nature with many types of sugar and starches.

Now, if they meant "distilled alcoholic beverages" are man-made, then they're correct, because at that point humans are creating something that would not normally occur in nature.

But the process of making beer and wine is simply allowing natural microorganisms to do what they normally do.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:48:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

on the other hand, science:
This is the differnce b/t a dogmatic once size all system resulting from a religious interpretation of a belladona trip that has not changed since the 30's, like at all, and what can be acheived by the scientific method.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

on the other hand, science:

For a glimpse of how treatment works elsewhere, I traveled to Finland, a country that shares with the United States a history of prohibition (inspired by the American temperance movement, the Finns outlawed alcohol from 1919 to 1932) and a culture of heavy drinking.

Finland’s treatment model is based in large part on the work of an American neuroscientist named John David Sinclair...he experimented with rats that had been given alcohol for an extended period. Sinclair expected that after several weeks without booze, the rats would lose their desire for it. Instead, when he gave them alcohol again, they went on week-long benders, drinking far more than they ever had before—more, he says, than any rat had ever been shown to drink.

Sinclair called this the alcohol-deprivation effect, and his laboratory results, which have since been confirmed by many other studies, suggested a fundamental flaw in abstinence-based treatment: going cold turkey only intensifies cravings. This discovery helped explain why relapses are common...

Sinclair came to believe that people develop drinking problems through a chemical process: each time they drink, the endorphins released in the brain strengthen certain synapses. The stronger these synapses grow, the more likely the person is to think about, and eventually crave, alcohol—until almost anything can trigger a thirst for booze, and drinking becomes compulsive.

Sinclair theorized that if you could stop the endorphins from reaching their target, the brain’s opiate receptors, you could gradually weaken the synapses, and the cravings would subside.  ...he administered opioid antagonists—drugs that block opiate receptors—to the specially bred alcohol-loving rats. He found that if the rats took the medication each time they were given alcohol, they gradually drank less and less. He published his findings in peer-reviewed journals beginning in the 1980s.

Subsequent studies found that an opioid antagonist called naltrexone was safe and effective for humans, and Sinclair began working with clinicians in Finland. He suggested prescribing naltrexone for patients to take an hour before drinking. As their cravings subsided, they could then learn to control their consumption. Numerous clinical trials have confirmed that the method is effective, and in 2001 Sinclair published a paper in the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism reporting a 78 percent success rate in helping patients reduce their drinking to about 10 drinks a week. Some stopped drinking entirely.

This is the differnce b/t a dogmatic once size all system resulting from a religious interpretation of a belladona trip that has not changed since the 30's, like at all, and what can be acheived by the scientific method.

Nice bait and switch.  AA supposedly has a 5% success rate when defined as stopping drinking entirely.  This "78% success rate" is for merely reducing the amount of alcohol consumed, not quitting entirely.  It would be quite revealing to see what percentage is signified by "some stopped drinking entirely"; it might be exactly the same or less than AA.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Rational Recovery

Link Posted: 3/24/2015 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Nobody thinks their religion is wrong  

There are people who swear by Amway and Scientology. It doesn't mean either is a good system with a history of overall success. Look at how hostile people are to the suggestion that overall it's a failure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry Aimless, but like so many other people in this thread you just don't understand jack shit about AA.
Nobody thinks their religion is wrong  

There are people who swear by Amway and Scientology. It doesn't mean either is a good system with a history of overall success. Look at how hostile people are to the suggestion that overall it's a failure.

Because everyone who uses AA works steps and has a sponsor and gets chips and all that. You really have no experience, or you have experience with a subset of AA.

I'm hostile because you're poopooing  something very useful, that a lot of people could get a lot of good from and you're using stuff you made up to do it.

Shitting on AA is beneath you.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top