User Panel

John Titor (Page 34 of 56)
Page / 56
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Qweevox:

We're all time travelers.

I remember that movie set in the future, now its future is 16 years in the past.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:
I'm thinking that it would be in your mind. Building holodecks would be cost prohibitive, but a small device that would interact with the user's brain and induce a dream, so to speak, would be more practical for mass production.  

Remember this movie?
https://youtu.be/5yaXPx6xWEQ

I remember that movie set in the future, now its future is 16 years in the past.  

That wasn't my point. I posted that as a reference as to what I thought an IVR device might be like. Granted, a MiniDisc wouldn't be involved, but the general idea is there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Tyrantresister:

How would you say it compares to Star Trek's "holodeck"?  Do you have to wear a device all of the time, or can you go into a room / area ala star trek where things are generated that you can actually physically interact with, and your senses can't tell the difference?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAV7p5wJUig
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tommy101:
Concerning IVR, imagine a world where all your fantasies become reality no matter how dark or crazy they might be. It's a major business. Not sure I wanna go into detail about some of it...

How would you say it compares to Star Trek's "holodeck"?  Do you have to wear a device all of the time, or can you go into a room / area ala star trek where things are generated that you can actually physically interact with, and your senses can't tell the difference?

There's not a "holodeck" that I know about.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
remember that scene in the movie with sandra bullock and Stallone where she gives him the wash cloth and that visual thing

mental sex vs physical,  I believe T101 hinted this will be a big deal with the Feds
View Quote

Mental sex=IVR and physical sex=Robot sex dolls
The federation heralds this as a great leap for mankind because population control is now being achieved along with all of the social problems. STD rates plummet, unwanted/teen pregnancies plummet and the financial burden associated with all of this controlled. Real sex (human to human) is now primarily for reproduction purposes and planned parenthood is involved with that heavily. In the case of surprises which still happen, planned parenthood has full authority to do what they feel is best. Even married couples use IVR as a primary outlet now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:57:06 PM EDT
[#4]

That wasn't my point. I posted that as a reference as to what I thought an IVR device might be like. Granted, a MiniDisc wouldn't be involved, but the general idea is there.
View All Quotes
I'm thinking that it would be in your mind. Building holodecks would be cost prohibitive, but a small device that would interact with the user's brain and induce a dream, so to speak, would be more practical for mass production.  

Remember this movie?

oh, I'm sorry.  I really wasn't trying to make a point.  Just an observation on how getting old sucks.  

I can remember when that movie came out.  (...not a great movie)  My wife and I went to see it in the theater.  From that point in time the year 2000 was in the future, and the VR technology in the movie seemed at least plausible, or plausible enough to suspend disbelief, given how fast things were changing.  

It seems like yesterday

...and now the "future" of the movie is 16 years in the past.   Time is indeed relative, the older you get the faster it goes.

Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:47:33 PM EDT
[#5]

oh, I'm sorry.  I really wasn't trying to make a point.  Just an observation on how getting old sucks.  

I can remember when that movie came out.  (...not a great movie)  My wife and I went to see it in the theater.  From that point in time the year 2000 was in the future, and the VR technology in the movie seemed at least plausible, or plausible enough to suspend disbelief, given how fast things were changing.  

It seems like yesterday

...and now the "future" of the movie is 16 years in the past.   Time is indeed relative, the older you get the faster it goes.

View All Quotes

Remember this movie?

It seems like yesterday

There have been interesting studies done on that, and how allegedly the perception of time does change as we age.  I don't have the links handy, though I recall it was mildly popularized by Michio Kaku a few years ago in one of his more layman-accessible shows.  It was neat, not riddled with academia or jargon, just real world tests, observations, etc... Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 3:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#6]

It seems like yesterday

View All Quotes

Remember this movie?

It seems like yesterday

Ok, now I see what you were saying.

Strange Days came out in '95, the year I graduated high school. I wanted to see it because I found the whole virtual reality aspect interesting, but never got around to it. I did see it on cable later on, and I was kinda glad I didn't waste a movie ticket on it. Lol. It was a turd, but so we're alot of films back then.

Doesn't seem em like it's been 20 years.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
How does time 'work' in IVR? Could you spend multiple hours, days, etc. in the virtual world, and have only a few minutes pass in real life?

If it's possible to live in the IVR world at an accelerated rate, you're looking at things like 100 years of technology being developed in 10. Star Trek becomes real.

Even if it's limited to a 'real time' perception, the impact on industry, education, society, and technology is on par with electricity. Kids going to school, working at an office, and life in general becomes just plugging in.

Elderly and disabled can live 'normally', and if you want to slay dragons, or actually be the dragon and eat peasants in your spare time, you can do that too. This is one of the few 'future' techs which right now (2016) we're on the cusp of, and i'm truly excited for.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 10:29:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: motoguy] [#8]
This thread is the first thing that came to my mind.  Lol

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
In IVR time is "slowed down", so what a day could pass by in just an hour in reality. It opens up a world of possibilities to go places and do things you've only dreamed or read about. It's a lot like dreaming. For those that dream you know that in your dream it feels so real and that you really did it, IVR is no different. . The IVR induces the dream you want if that makes sense. When you start out your not dreaming but it doesn't take long for your brain to switch over to the dream induced coma. There are time limits you can set also.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Not sure if y'all know this or not but Hillary Clinton's health isn't good.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

still due to her 2012 "fall" (crash) I assume...
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 4:59:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Riter] [#12]
View Quote

About two months ago I read a story that an aide has to sleep in her room to monitor her and make sure she does't stop breathing.

Who does Bill see when she crosses the Styx?

Link to discussion in GD: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1826590_HILLARY_s__HEALTH__HORRORS.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:56:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyrantresister] [#13]

The federation heralds this as a great leap for mankind because population control is now being achieved along with all of the social problems. STD rates plummet, unwanted/teen pregnancies plummet and the financial burden associated with all of this controlled. Real sex (human to human) is now primarily for reproduction purposes and planned parenthood is involved with that heavily. In the case of surprises which still happen, planned parenthood has full authority to do what they feel is best. Even married couples use IVR as a primary outlet now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By my2Dogs:
remember that scene in the movie with sandra bullock and Stallone where she gives him the wash cloth and that visual thing

mental sex vs physical,  I believe T101 hinted this will be a big deal with the Feds

That's just sad, IMHO.  Is real physical sex shunned those days?  Do horny teenagers still want to try to have sex, or is it like that futurama clip where everyone would rather just be involved with their fantasies?  

https://vimeo.com/12915013

As a curious aside, which is more similar to "the real thing"?  The sex bots, or the IVR?  

As a prediction, I can foresee females loosing a LOT of their power and influence if men are able to obtain sex (or its near equivalent) on demand.

(example 11:00 + 14:20, & 17:20 here)

http://bundy-online.blogspot.com/2013/01/user-friendly.html

Think of the power than an attractive female has to influence just because of how she looks with men white knighting to her in a slim chance to be able to get with her.  If that is gone, I foresee things going very badly for women.  Women get a lot of special treatment today based on the fact that they are attractive and inducing to most men (even "average" looking women).  What is the courting / dating / marriage process like in the future with men being able to have sex on demand from any fantasy / person they want?  

This also must get rid of a LOT of ambition from men in particular, as they no longer have to strive as hard to try to obtain what they want.  It must actually hurt progress and development.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:25:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tyrantresister] [#14]
Concerning IVR, imagine a world where all your fantasies become reality no matter how dark or crazy they might be. It's a major business. Not sure I wanna go into detail about some of it...
View Quote

Reminds me a lot of this!

And this!!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ2ujVlwcJc[/youtube]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 4v50:

About two months ago I read a story that an aide has to sleep in her room to monitor her and make sure she does't stop breathing.

Link to discussion in GD: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1826590_HILLARY_s__HEALTH__HORRORS.html
View All Quotes

I hope the aide takes a lot of smoke breaks
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:32:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#16]
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Isn't something "big" that is supposed to happen before year end?

We're down to less than 2 months.

View Quote

Yup, before year's end.  A lot can happen in 2 months.

...or it can be quiet as a church mouse.  

Either way, 2 months is nothing to see if something he says pans out.
View Quote

This is fun, even if the predictions don't come to pass.

+10 days
Link Posted: 1/11/2016 12:20:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#17]

In IVR time is "slowed down", so what a day could pass by in just an hour in reality. It opens up a world of possibilities to go places and do things you've only dreamed or read about. It's a lot like dreaming. For those that dream you know that in your dream it feels so real and that you really did it, IVR is no different. . The IVR induces the dream you want if that makes sense. When you start out your not dreaming but it doesn't take long for your brain to switch over to the dream induced coma. There are time limits you can set also.
View Quote
I've been thinking about this, and I don't know why it didn't dawn on me until now, but I guess that's the way my mind works.

I had watched the video for Guns N' Roses Paradise City on YouTube for the umpteenth time and stumbled upon a lesson for it. It's one of my all time favorite songs, but never bothered to learn it for some reason. But anyway, it dawned on me that if IVR would come to pass, it would be a great way to amass knowledge. It could change the way we learn. I don't know if you could "download" knowledge with it, but in my case, being able to cram a day or two of getting a song down into an hour or two would be great. I could see how it would also be a boon for learning in general. I could see colleges and universities using IVR to drastically shrink the time required to get a degree.

Many, many possibilities beyond just getting your rocks off with such a device.

Link Posted: 1/11/2016 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Remember this movie?

View All Quotes

Remember this movie?

That was one of the best cyberpunk movies of all time.  Highly underrated.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By sq40:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sq40:

Remember this movie?

Look cool. I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 10:57:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Y'all are right about females losing a lot of their power over men. Men typically prefer sex bots over IVR. I have done both and prefered the sexbot. Since the high functioning ultra realistic sex bots are owned only by the elite there are sexbot brothels for everyone else where you pay by the minute and they do very good business. Women overwhelmingly prefer IVR over sexbots or the real thing because they say its so much more passionate and sensual. The sexbot I owned was so high functioning and realistic it was scary.

You couldnt hardly tell the difference between that and a real woman. Now you can start to see how this would break up marriages and relationships. Men actually left their wives because they fell in love with their sexbot. I havent talked a whole lot about this cause i thought yall would think its too crazy but i think yall can somewhat see it happening now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:47:18 PM EDT
[#21]
What about what I was pondering earlier about using IVR for learning?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:49:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Was talking with a LEO friend and he feels IVR will be the adult pacificer of the future.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:00:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARfanboy] [#23]
Who has the most promising future in IVR?  Facebook, Google, HTC, Sony, or someone else?  HTC looked like they had the best experience at CES, but the lines were a lot longer for OR.  Sony's hardware was absent, but they will hit the ground running when they release.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By ARfanboy:

Who has the most promising future in IVR?  Facebook, Google, HTC, Sony, or someone else?  HTC looked like they had the best experience at CES, but the lines were a lot longer for OR.  Sony's hardware was absent, but they will hit the ground running when they release.
View Quote
Skim through page 33, it's mentioned there.

Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:32:26 AM EDT
[#25]

Virtual reality, sex bots, lol.  Right now I'm more curious about the Bernie Sanders thing.  Just a few weeks ago it seemed absurd.  Right now it's looking like a real possibility.  If this comes to pass...
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Was talking with a LEO friend and he feels IVR will be the adult pacificer of the future.
View Quote

You already see the start of it with all the zombies glued to their smartphones and the basement dwellers ignoring real life while hooked on high def. video games and porn.  Imagine that technology (and much more yet to be developed) cranked up to eleven. Heroin addiction and withdrawal will seem mild in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#27]
What does transportation infrastructure look like?

With so many new vehicles with 'auto-drive' I'm guessing there is a lot of automatic highways in the Federation...is there still an 'interstate'?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By HEATSEAKER:

You already see the start of it with all the zombies glued to their smartphones and the basement dwellers ignoring real life while hooked on high def. video games and porn.  Imagine that technology (and much more yet to be developed) cranked up to eleven. Heroin addiction and withdrawal will seem mild in comparison.
View All Quotes

Yep thats right, the disconnect from reality to fantasy is happening and will continue to grow until you will do anything as long as you can continue in your world of fantasy. I remember hearing the first reports of people that couldnt differentiate if they were in reality or virtual reality, that was one of the milestones for me that i vividly remember. Scary if you think about it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Yep thats right, the disconnect from reality to fantasy is happening and will continue to grow until you will do anything as long as you can continue in your world of fantasy. I remember hearing the first reports of people that couldnt differentiate if they were in reality or virtual reality, that was one of the milestones for me that i vividly remember. Scary if you think about it.
View All Quotes

Sounds like a South Park episode
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#30]
What if I told you there is a drug that will greatly extend your life and drastically cut your risk of cancer, heart attacks, dementia, etc... essentially a "fountain of youth" with life spans that will reach 130 and average 100+? What if I told you its something thats been around for a long time only used to treat something else?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#31]

What if I told you there is a drug that will greatly extend your life and drastically cut your risk of cancer, heart attacks, dementia, etc... essentially a "fountain of youth" with life spans that will reach 130 and average 100+? What if I told you its something thats been around for a long time only used to treat something else?
View Quote

If you link us to a click bait site...

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Metformin meets those points, and has been studied as a life extension drug for quite some time now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#33]
The elites of the federation take it daily no matter the age. It slows the aging process by increasing the life span of each individual cell so a person that is 80 might have the mind and body of a 50 year old. Its truly incredible but its not given to the general population because of population control. In 2048 we are theorizing that a person thst is given this since birth might reach 200. No hotlinking and nonpeddling anything. Simon says and simons right.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#34]
The elites of the federation take it daily no matter the age. It slows the aging process by increasing the life span of each individual cell so a person that is 80 might have the mind and body of a 50 year old. Its truly incredible but its not given to the general population because of population control. In 2048 we are theorizing that a person thst is given this since birth might reach 200. No hotlinking and nonpeddling anything. Simon says and simons right.
View Quote

That's the worst news I've read in this thread.

I apparently have the choice between dying 30 years early, or shitting myself every day.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Tommy -

Any big improvements in corrective eye/vision surgery or is the current procedures about as good as it gets without an implant?

Is it better to have the something like lasik surgery performed soon?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By BD77:
Tommy -

Any big improvements in corrective eye/vision surgery or is the current procedures about as good as it gets without an implant?

Is it better to have the something like lasik surgery performed soon?
View Quote

Didn't FerFal308 say he had it done?
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes

If that was true, and you couldn't tell the difference from reality, then how could the sexbots be better??  

How do the women not protest such a loss of the vast amount of power they currently hold?  That must be devastating to them, think of how people act and treat women now, especially decent looking women, just for being women?  From the laws to the punishments for breaking the laws, to the army of white knights at their beck and call.

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
If you told me that, I'd say you read the drudge report and keep up with current news.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12017112/Worlds-first-anti-ageing-drug-could-see-humans-live-to-120.html

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SamBram:
If you told me that, I'd say you read the drudge report and keep up with current news.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12017112/Worlds-first-anti-ageing-drug-could-see-humans-live-to-120.html

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SamBram:

[ LOL]
Don't ruin it for those who believe
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Do these pills decrease diseases too such as cancer?  If true, wouldn't Hilary be taking these pills by now?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Rem700PSS:

Do these pills decrease diseases too such as cancer?  If true, wouldn't Hilary be taking these pills by now?
View All Quotes

We're already on the verge of curing most types of cancers, through various means.

For instance, blue whales are many times larger than us, and yet they don't die of cancer at a higher rate. Why?

Well, it seems that they do in fact get cancers more often, but because they're bigger the tumor must be much larger before it has a significant impact. Since tumors cells reproduce faster than normal cells, they mutate more quickly as well. In short... their tumors get tumors. The meta-tumors consume all the resources of the tumor they're in, which dies effectively due to starvation. With the host tumor dead, the meta-tumor dies. (source)

We've said for a long time that we're only "20 years away" from curing cancer - but the fact of the matter is, there are a huge number of avenues being pursued and eventually one of them is going to turn into a practical cure. When that happens... well, the FDA will take ages to approve the treatment, especially if it's some as radical as giving your cancer cancer. I could totally see that process taking long enough that civil society goes through a major upheaval before the treatments make it out to the masses - and we all know good and well that those with the resources will always have access to the best treatments, regardless of whether or not they're "approved". I bet it's amazing how often people with liquid cash get selected to participate in medical studies for their terminal illnesses, and amazing how rarely they end up with the placebo.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 5:56:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Qweevox] [#42]

View All Quotes

The research is thin.  But it looks like metformin does have an effect on certain cancer cells.  For example there have been studies on stage 4 lung cancer, and metformin seems to improve results.  The problem with drugs like metformin is they're cheap, and unpatentable .  There's no money in it, so research is slow.

Who is going to pay to get a drug like metformin through FDA approval when there is absolutely no way to recoup the cost?  Once you've spent all the money, and the FDA approves it for a particular treatment, every generic producer in the world can sell it.  

That's why pharmaceutical companies will spend time and effort trying to find a slightly modified tweak to an existing drug, so they can get the government's protected monopoly on its use for a few years and recoup their cost.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#43]

If that was true, and you couldn't tell the difference from reality, then how could the sexbots be better??  

How do the women not protest such a loss of the vast amount of power they currently hold?  That must be devastating to them, think of how people act and treat women now, especially decent looking women, just for being women?  From the laws to the punishments for breaking the laws, to the army of white knights at their beck and call.

View All Quotes

You just tripped over a civilization ending event right there. The moment there is a VR or a sexbot that can replace the porking fantasies of the average guy, the entire economy will implode. It's debatable what would be more devastating. I would assume the Washing, Ironing, Fucking, Etcetera Unit will be the destroyer of worlds. The entire economy is built around impressing women for the off chance of getting laid. Remove all these impediments and level the playing field for all men to get whatever they desire and very few will put up with women's shit. Basically stealing the pussy monopoly and most likely creating the first person worth over a trillion dollars.

Tommy: Tell us more about the VR gear. Is it more like a controllable dream like state that your mind is put into? Or is it souped up Lawnmower Man version of head gear with the user hugging the a air? Is there like a permenantly attached spanking sock for catching the deposits and two Nintendo power gloves with wires on them?

Tell us about the nerds of the future.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gone_Shootin] [#44]
One big hole in this narrative that's been bugging me is how the Federation territories seem to be more or less a bunch of isolated city-states. It sounds like they only hold a certain amount of land outside of these cities, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Tommy.

But if I have things right in my mind, I just don't see how the Federation can feed itself. And the logistics of holding together a government who's territories are scattered around like a bunch of islands surrounded by hostile territory would be nearly impossible to keep up. Sure, they spposedly will own the air, but that is a very costly method of transportation.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#45]
One big hole in this narrative that's been bugging me is how the Federation territories seem to be more or less a bunch of isolated city-states. It sounds like they only hold a certain amount of land outside of these cities, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Tommy.

But if I have things right in my mind, I just don't see how the Federation can feed itself. And the logistics of holding together a government who's territories are scattered around like a bunch of islands surrounded by hostile territory would be nearly impossible to keep up. Sure, they spposedly will own the air, but that is a very costly method of transportation.

View Quote

...one big hole?
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#46]
He said a long time ago that they were making some kind of imitation gruel that 9 out of 10 orphans can't tell the difference. Something about synthetic food that sucked. If you didn't like it, JImbo Jones would tell you to shut up and eat your pine cone.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#47]

...one big hole?
View All Quotes

...one big hole?
I didn't say it was the only one.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:13:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:

He said a long time ago that they were making some kind of imitation gruel that 9 out of 10 orphans can't tell the difference. Something about synthetic food that sucked. If you didn't like it, JImbo Jones would tell you to shut up and eat your pine cone.
View Quote
Ok, I forgot about that part. But still, the lack of resources would make the whole thing not work.

Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
[#49]

View All Quotes

The saying "be careful what you wish for you might just get it" comes to mind. For the children, safety, crime, etc...
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes

Yes, dramatically.
Page / 56
John Titor (Page 34 of 56)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top