Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe you know, or read differently, but the engineers at Ford have stated otherwise in on the record publications.
View Quote

This came from people I know that personally had their hands on it before it was at the dealership.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
No Ford is using early 1980s technology.

Turbos have been around a LONG time.

Gasoline Turbos died in popularity by the late 1990s, due to fact they just don't last.

They don't even require fully synthetic oil.  Which is insane.

The Employment Prevention Agency and Ford don't care about engine longevity, why would they.

They won't last like the 5.0 will, which is great tried and tested engine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great synopsis.  People don't understand how the Ford tech is changing the ball game right now.  It is sad that the 302 will not benefit from a factory Ecoboost setup.  The next generation Ecoboost will be the cat's meow from what I see.

Gasoline Turbos died in popularity by the late 1990s, due to fact they just don't last.

The Employment Prevention Agency and Ford don't care about engine longevity, why would they.

This ain't your mullet wearing uncle's 5.0.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#3]
In this thread we will see people who don't understand just how rapidly automotive technology has changed in the past decade and don't know what they are talking about.

EB is great if you aren't going to touch it but if you are going for a performance truck like me a bigger engine will yield more power when you throw aftermarket parts and tunings on it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aluminum will shed paint. (Sorry, not covered under warranty)

Window motors will last 3 years.

Some major system will need a mid model upgrade.

View Quote

i have a 97 f-150. 240,000ish miles on her.

i haven't had any paint issues.
electric windows still work fine.
never had any system breakdown.
i've replaced tires,brakes,belts and fluids.

good luck with your rice burner.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any real world experience with gas milage on the eco boost vs. V8 with 3.73 gears?
View Quote

My v8 got about 15mpg more or less.

My EB has averaged 18 something IIRC (I posted it in the last EcoBoost thread).
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm still going with the 5.0 just because I cant be the guinea pig in the first year of this motor, I need
an absolutely bulletproof vehicle and the 2.7 may very well be, but I'm gonna sit on the sidelines for one more vehicle before I .

then drive to you're nearest GM dealer  ASAP  even a Dodge would be better
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm still going with the 5.0 just because I cant be the guinea pig in the first year of this motor, I need
an absolutely bulletproof vehicle and the 2.7 may very well be, but I'm gonna sit on the sidelines for one more vehicle before I .

then drive to you're nearest GM dealer  ASAP  even a Dodge would be better
View Quote

Lol my Chevy truck was a total POS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So I'm pulling the trigger on one of these babies and needed to formulate my own opinion on the engines after reading everyone else's.

I'd like to hear as many thoughts/responses as possible from current/future owners or even those that have test driven these things and how
their opinions jive with mine.
View Quote

I have a 2013 ecoboost and drive it like I stole it. I drove them both at the time (2012 5.0 vs 3.5TT) and then ordered mine they way I wanted it. My EB will outrun a lot of stuff that it shouldn't on the roads. I see no reason to get any engine instead of the EB and I would also say never buy an EB for the mileage because it's no fun to drive it that way. I'm impressed by the smaller EB but haven't driven one.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I just can't spend $60k on a truck
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
There is no substitute for displacement! I can't see how you can cram all that fuel and air in a small lightweight motor and expect it to pull or last like a larger motor. Maybe I am stuck in the past but turbo charging a small 4 or 6 cylinder motor and ask it to pull a loaded trailer or just work like a real truck in general and your asking for problems in my opinion. Sure if you want a truck to be cool or pull a small trailer or dump runs every other weekend fine it may work for you. Good luck on your purchase I truly hope it works out for you and please keep us informed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes. They are impressive but they cost too much.  I use a my pickup trucks to do work.  60k is too much money for something I am going to beat around in.

They make a perfect rich guys grocery getter though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:21:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is that 2.7 an inline, or a V engine?
View Quote

V-6. That engine really needs a new improved Ranger wrapped around it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
There is no substitute for displacement! I can't see how you can cram all that fuel and air in a small lightweight motor and expect it to pull or last like a larger motor. Maybe I am stuck in the past but turbo charging a small 4 or 6 cylinder motor and ask it to pull a loaded trailer or just work like a real truck in general and your asking for problems in my opinion. Sure if you want a truck to be cool or pull a small trailer or dump runs every other weekend fine it may work for you. Good luck on your purchase I truly hope it works out for you and please keep us informed.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is that 2.7 an inline, or a V engine?

OMG a ranger with a 3.5 or 2.7 would be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#17]
At work I get to play with a 13' 150 with the Eco boost and it is nothing short of awesome, it is a work truck used at a boat yard and we tow a lot of stuff, it is sweet

Then at the end of the day I have to hop back in my 05 with the 5.4 3v....at least I have 35" tires lol
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You are correct.

Gasoline turbos fell out of mainstream favour 15-20 years ago because they don't last.

Changing gasoline turbos at 80,000-120,000 miles isn't fun or cheap.

Unless the laws of physics have changed since then, they still won't last.  

Ford's PR on this was good though.  They didn't want to call it a Turbo, so it's an "Eco-boost"........
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:31:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

I bought my F150 3.5L EB crew cab brand new for $26k.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Yes. They are impressive but they cost too much.  I use a my pickup trucks to do work.  60k is too much money for something I am going to beat around in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They come in different trims and start at about $25k, only the fully loaded Platinum is $60k+.

The one I priced out and plan to order next week is the loaded Platinum and is roughly $58k out the door including tax tag and title.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong, all new trucks sell for $60k, arfcom told me.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Aluminum will shed paint. (Sorry, not covered under warranty)

Window motors will last 3 years.

Some major system will need a mid model upgrade.

Please explain how your comments are relevant to his.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got the 5.0 in my 2012 4x4 SCrew.  Having talked with others that had the EB, the fuel savings didn't justify the extra cost of the engine.  Not to mention the insurance premium between them was about $60 more per year for the EB (more expensive to repair if in a collision?)

Plus, I like the rumble of an 8 cylinder.  I replaced the muffler with a Magnaflow, dualed out the sides behind the rear tires with resonator tips.  I'm consistently getting 15.7/19.9 city/highway... not too far off the EB's advertised figures.

ETA: 3:55 rear end w/locker
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm really interested to see how these things last, they make me nervous getting this amount of power from 6 little cylinders.

It amazes me the my f150 with a 6.2 v8 can make the same power as a 3.5 v6 and get better mileage doing it.

I hope they turn out to be everything ford advertises them as.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I'm really interested to see how these things last, they make me nervous getting this amount of power from 6 little cylinders.

It amazes me the my f150 with a 6.2 v8 can make the same power as a 3.5 v6 and get better mileage doing it.

View Quote
Your 6.2 gets better mileage than an EB?

Or poor grammar?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They come in different trims and start at about $25k, only the fully loaded Platinum is $60k+.

The one I priced out and plan to order next week is the loaded Platinum and is roughly $58k out the door including tax tag and title.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could get a 4x4 EB with no extras for 25k then it would be worth it but they dont come that way.  If you want 4X4 and EB then your in the 40k+ price range. At least thats the way it was a few years ago when I was looking at them. It may of changed now but finding a basic truck with EB was damn near impossible back then.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great synopsis.  People don't understand how the Ford tech is changing the ball game right now.  It is sad that the 302 will not benefit from a factory Ecoboost setup.  The next generation Ecoboost will be the cat's meow from what I see.

QFT!  Completely different engine design.

I had a 2013 Mustang GT with a 5.0 in it.  It was a stout motor, but I had issues out of it and the crappy Getrag transmission they put in it.  I bought a new Chevy with the newest 5.3 (L83).  355hp/380lbft on 87.  380hp/416lbft on E85.  For government motors to make that kind of power and still be utilizing a push-rod V8 is impressive IMO.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If I could get a 4x4 EB with no extras for 25k then it would be worth it but they dont come that way.  If you want 4X4 and EB then your in the 40k+ price range.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I could get a 4x4 EB with no extras for 25k then it would be worth it but they dont come that way.  If you want 4X4 and EB then your in the 40k+ price range.

Eh, I don't know about that.  I bought mine at the very end of the year in 2012 when all the new 2013 models were on the lot.  It was one of 2 4x4 2012 models they had.  The other was a SCrew with EB, XLT trim, same exact thing as my truck including bucket seats, locking rear end, and tow package.  Mine was $29,XXX out the door, I think they EB was about a grand more.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You are correct.

Gasoline turbos fell out of mainstream favour 15-20 years ago because they don't last.

Ford's PR on this was good though.  They didn't want to call it a Turbo, so it's an "Eco-boost"........
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

VW never stopped using turbos and they make excellent motors. Yes, a turbo is a wear item and will need a rebuild eventually. If you don't beat on it constantly lets say your 120k estimate is true than after 120k miles (12 years for me at least) I can spend $600 and get my turbo rebuilt and keep getting good performance and gas milage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If I could get a 4x4 EB with no extras for 25k then it would be worth it but they dont come that way.  If you want 4X4 and EB then your in the 40k+ price range. At least thats the way it was a few years ago when I was looking at them. It may of changed now but finding a basic truck with EB was damn near impossible back then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can get a 4x4 3.6L EB for $30k, but that's the basic XL.

That's the X Plan price I got. But X is roughly invoice, so if you can negotiate, it's definitely possible.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DI has been around a long time but only recently put into widespread applications though there were some exceptions over the years.  Ford is definitely not the first, but as technology improves and with tighter restrictions....smaller displacement T/DI motors will increasingly be the future.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

_lol_, ok......

127,000 miles on my turbo car. No issues.

Hell, the paint isn't even falling off of the Aluminum body panels (*gasp*) and its 10 years old.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

There has been more technological advancement in the car industry in the last 20 years than every year prior. A turbo engine today is far superior to anything built in the 70's or 80's.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Who told you that the 3.5 is faster from 0-60 than Chevy's 6.2? I can tell you from first-hand experience, in the real world, that that is 100% false.

The 3.5 is better than I expected to be, but I still wouldn't buy one. And their mileage is not as good as Ford claims it to be...
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I've got a 2014 5.0 4x4 w/ the 3.73 rear end, and it's a rocket ship compared to the older generation or the F250 I was coming out of. I've driven the EB and it's a torque monster compared to 5.0, but I'm a fan of N/A motors over turbo'ed, and I like the sound.

I've got 15k on mine, without a single issue. Great truck.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've got a 2014 5.0 4x4 w/ the 3.73 rear end, and it's a rocket ship compared to the older generation or the F250 I was coming out of. I've driven the EB and it's a torque monster compared to 5.0, but I'm a fan of N/A motors over turbo'ed, and I like the sound.

View Quote

Guesses on gas milage in town and highway?  I'm really torn between the V8 and the EB.  Planning on 4x4 w/ 3.73.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any real world experience with gas milage on the eco boost vs. V8 with 3.73 gears?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I have been eying the ecoboost trucks but for the price I'd rather just get an F250 to replace my current diesel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

You are aware that you need to change both the oil in the engine and the air filter right? If you dont change those things then yes, you may have problems with your turbo. Also, dont turn the vehicle off when the turbo has just been whipped like a race horse. Give it a minute to cool down a bit before turning off the vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You are correct.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Guesses on gas milage in town and highway?  I'm really torn between the V8 and the EB.  Planning on 4x4 w/ 3.73.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

5.0 with 3:55 here.  I see high 15's and high 19's.  With 3:73's, probably closer to low 15's and high 18's.  I use 100% gasoline and not E10 fuel though, so that might make a difference depending on your locale.  Driving habits of course factor as well.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Driving my EB hard the lowest I can get to on the mpg is 16.4 mpg. I can get upper 22's on the interstate with the cruise set about 75mph. 3.55's 4x4 crew cab.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It's insane man, how they can squeeze that kind of grunt out of a tiny V6 and yet put it in a truck application, even commercial
use, then make it the standard motor in any 4x4 screw configuration is just mind boggling, you have to drive it to wrap your head
around it, if it turns out to be bulletproof and trouble free long term under hard use, the bar will have been raised, and I'm talking
automotive engine technology as a whole.
View Quote

I'm a little nervous.

As costs have continued to climb we've slowly downsized our fleet of service pickups from 4 door dually pickups to 1/2 tons with v6 engines. I lost 2 v6 dodge engines this year with less than 65k on the clock and 2 of my ecoboosts are burning a bit of oil at 40k.

I've got 4 pentastars and 4 ecoboosts. I'm not sure i'll buy any more at this point. The rest of our fleet is in a holding pattern until we see what the longevity of those is.

I can't say the larger engines are much better. I've got several hemi's and 6.0 gas engines that have never seen 10 mpg in their life just from carrying a bit of weight in tools and whatnot while my ecoboosts have never been over 14 and my pentastars have never seen 13
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Who told you that the 3.5 is faster from 0-60 than Chevy's 6.2? I can tell you from first-hand experience, in the real world, that that is 100% false.

The 3.5 is better than I expected to be, but I still wouldn't buy one. And their mileage is not as good as Ford claims it to be...
View Quote

There's several acceleration tests on youtube etc that pit the 3.5 EB agains the new chevy 6.2 with 8spd, the EB is a tick faster to 60
but the 6.2 catches and passes it in the quarter mile for a higher trap speed and lower ET, as expected.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm a little nervous.

As costs have continued to climb we've slowly downsized our fleet of service pickups from 4 door dually pickups to 1/2 tons with v6 engines. I lost 2 v6 dodge engines this year with less than 65k on the clock and 2 of my ecoboosts are burning a bit of oil at 40k.

I've got 4 pentastars and 4 ecoboosts. I'm not sure i'll buy any more at this point. The rest of our fleet is in a holding pattern until we see what the longevity of those is.

I can't say the larger engines are much better. I've got several hemi's and 6.0 gas engines that have never seen 10 mpg in their life just from carrying a bit of weight in tools and whatnot but my ecoboosts have never been over 14 and my pentastars have never seen 13
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's insane man, how they can squeeze that kind of grunt out of a tiny V6 and yet put it in a truck application, even commercial
use, then make it the standard motor in any 4x4 screw configuration is just mind boggling, you have to drive it to wrap your head
around it, if it turns out to be bulletproof and trouble free long term under hard use, the bar will have been raised, and I'm talking

I'm a little nervous.

I can't say the larger engines are much better. I've got several hemi's and 6.0 gas engines that have never seen 10 mpg in their life just from carrying a bit of weight in tools and whatnot but my ecoboosts have never been over 14 and my pentastars have never seen 13

You cant be surprised with the fuel bills though on the big engines. Buy a big horse, expect a big feed bill.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:43:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm a little nervous.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little nervous.

From what I've read the oil consumption is normal up to a certain percentage which is small, and is attributed to blow by.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:47:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

From what I've read the oil consumption is normal up to a certain percentage which is small, and is attributed to blow by.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little nervous.

According to all the manufacturers 1 quart per oil change is okay but when I buy something that doesn't use oil then starts to use oil I get nervous. Could be nothing.

But...

In all my years of getting that reasoning I've never had one that didn't get significantly worse within 80k miles. We have enough of a load on them the consumption always seems to increase. Time will tell though.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You cant be surprised with the fuel bills though on the big engines. Buy a big horse, expect a big feed bill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a little nervous.

I hear ya. I grew up in a household with 4 chevy 454's but it's tough to operate when you got guys not even pulling trailers that average 7 or 8 mpg.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I wish you guys would just buy all the EBs and drive down the price of diesel offerings.

kthx
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
You are aware that you need to change both the oil in the engine and the air filter right? If you dont change those things then yes, you may have problems with your turbo. Also, dont turn the vehicle off when the turbo has just been whipped like a race horse. Give it a minute to cool down a bit before turning off the vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct.

How the fuck do I change the oil in my air filter?

Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top