User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Are you sure? There is no way that weather is preventing them from getting anywhere right now especially if they can see him. I could take a canoe out there. I am under a mile from where all this is happening.

From what I saw yesterday and what I've heard from talking to people on scene I didn't think we'd find any thing identifiable as an individual body.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, they recovered 10 bodies and have eyes on the 11th but can't recover him due to weather conditions.

I'm glad I'm not at Lejeune today...

Are you sure? There is no way that weather is preventing them from getting anywhere right now especially if they can see him. I could take a canoe out there. I am under a mile from where all this is happening.

From what I saw yesterday and what I've heard from talking to people on scene I didn't think we'd find any thing identifiable as an individual body.

Yes, that was the official word but they didn't elaborate what the condition was.

ETA:  That actually applies to both queries...
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
opps
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 12:37:27 PM EDT
[#3]
From the liveblog link: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/liveblog-local-updates-from-the-search-and-rescue-mission-1.448964?tc=cr

11:01 a.m.  At a press conference in Navarre, Air Force officials said the search for the downed Blackhawk helicopter has shifted toward recovery and have no expectation of any survivors. Officials would not comment on how many bodies have been recovered so far. The Air Force is handing over the recovery mission to the Army National Guard and the Marine Corps Special Operation Command.

The helicopter wreckage has been located under about 25 feet of water in Santa Rosa Sound. Scuba divers found the wreckage but had a difficult time with visibility because the water was so murky. Dense fog is thought to have prevented anyone from witnessing the crash when it happened Tuesday night.

A safety review board has been convened and an investigation into the crash has begun. At the time of the crash, there were boats participating in the exercise in a safety capacity. The captains conducted their own search and rescue operations immediately following the crash but were thwarted by the dense fog.

U.S. Coast Guard boats are still out searching on Santa Rosa Sound.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2015 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Just to give yall an idea on how murky the water is in the sound, sometimes you aren't able to see your hand in front of you
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ho. Lee. Fook.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Bump for pics of aircraft recovery. Blackhawk hit HARD !!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn. When I took my first Seahawk flight they told me to hold on if we had to ditch and that we'd sink in a matter of seconds (after the shaking stopped). At least there was hope that I'd make it out alive. Doesn't look like there was much intact here at all.

ETA: 3/15
Talked to my buddy about this today. He's about to become the CO of a Seahawk squadron. He explained that the new birds are almost all carbon fiber and not aluminum like when I was in. That explains why the parts look shredded.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top