Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 12:30:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome stuff.

What are the names?> I kn ow the one who had his leg taken is Nugget, what is the other little guy's name?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome stuff.

What are the names?> I kn ow the one who had his leg taken is Nugget, what is the other little guy's name?
View Quote

Artax
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Fucking awesome!!

That is the cutest damn dog I've ever seen. All three of them I love them all. Loss for words.

How was the surgeon? Was he a people person?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 8:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fucking awesome!!

That is the cutest damn dog I've ever seen. All three of them I love them all. Loss for words.

View Quote

Surgeon was great, talked a lot to me about the options.  The thing that sold me on the amputation was that he said that if it was his dog he would do it in a second.  I believed him..
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Surgeon was great, talked a lot to me about the options.  The thing that sold me on the amputation was that he said that if it was his dog he would do it in a second.  I believed him..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fucking awesome!!

Very cool. So are you keeping both babies? Those are good looking dogs. Wish I had a place of my own I'd take them in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#7]

AWESOME!
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey OP.

What type of dog food are you using? I live in your area and want to help a bit if you would allow it.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#9]
We are in the process of trying to keep them.  Nugget still hasent even had his staples removed from the surgery so we are keeping him a little segregated until the wound heals, he has also not started training at all yet.

Artax is doing great, he is a bit too exuberant and jumps on everyone way too much, but we are all learning.  The hardest thing is having to monitor them so much because of the healing, and potty training.  Some days they have to spend a bit too much time in their kennels.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#10]
You found yourself two great looking dogs. You're a lucky man.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:14:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey OP.

What type of dog food are you using? I live in your area and want to help a bit if you would allow it.

View Quote

They get Blue Wilderness Puppy grain free.  I have them set up at petflow.com.  That is what I used for my dog as well.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Let me just say, after having a rather shitty day, this picture made me smile like a four year old with a new puppy.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Maybe the blurred tail is the effect you wanted, but a faster shutter speed will stop the blurring of that display of happiness.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Awesome

They look like they're going to be trouble soon, they got that look of shenanigans
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They get Blue Wilderness Puppy grain free.  I have them set up at petflow.com.  That is what I used for my dog as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.

There is a bunch listed.
Wet or dry?
What color is the bag?
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There is a bunch listed.
Wet or dry?
What color is the bag?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey OP.

There is a bunch listed.
Wet or dry?
What color is the bag?

Use code WOW30 for 30% off as well. My lady is on the same food as she has the worst allergies. Great food.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:38:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Cool.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:59:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Is Nuggets anemia getting better?

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is Nuggets anemia getting better?
View Quote

We are going to get the staples removed April 1st, and they said that they will take another blood sample and have the equipment to tell us there what his status is.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Here is another:

ETA: Turn your speakers down for this one.  One of them lets out some kind of glass shattering bark.

https://youtu.be/5crjewT-UUw
View Quote

Now thats a herd of fur Op

My 5 doges couldnt amount to them lol
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#23]
haha awesome.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I know Nugget was fixed when he became a tripod. What is the status of Artax?

ETA think I will make the above pic my desktop pic as well.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I know the OP and Tessa and everyone of us did this out of the kindness of our hearts but honestly, id luv to see a news station pick up this story and show how a bunch of "gun nuts" came together.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:09:11 PM EDT
[#26]
You did good work OP

One thing to consider going forward is 'littermate syndrome'...where two littermates who spend a lot of time together bond too closely and also fail to fully develop good social skills.  It doesn't always develope, and even when it does it can be from very mild to extreme. Still, the fix is easy, and that is once they are healthy enough purposely get some separation in their lives.  Just walking one (or one plus your GSD) and then walking the other, plus individual play time with each one (maybe human plus one pup play while GSD plus other pup play)
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You did good work OP

One thing to consider going forward is 'littermate syndrome'...where two littermates who spend a lot of time together bond too closely and also fail to fully develop good social skills.  It doesn't always develope, and even when it does it can be from very mild to extreme. Still, the fix is easy, and that is once they are healthy enough purposely get some separation in their lives.  Just walking one (or one plus your GSD) and then walking the other, plus individual play time with each one (maybe human plus one pup play while GSD plus other pup play)
View Quote

Oh I have done exactly this.  Nugget was gone for about 4 days for the surgery which gave us a chance to have Artax bond with us.  They eat separately, and go out separately most of the time.  They also sleep in separate kennels.  I, out of necessity have to train them separately as well.  

I am having a very hard time training Artax.  He is focused on everything but me.  With my GSD it was the opposite, all she would ever look at is you, and do whatever you say.  Artax could care less about you and just wants to explore and chase birds. Do you guys have any ideas about how to make that different? Nugget is more like Kimber, he is very focused on us... and food. ... he loves food.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#28]
IM me your address, so I can send a bunch of treats and chews for the dogs your way OP.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:19:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh I have done exactly this.  Nugget was gone for about 4 days for the surgery which gave us a change to have Artax bond with us.  They eat separately, and go out separately most of the time.  They also sleep in separate kennels.  I, out of necessity have to train them separately as well.  

I am having a very hard time training Artax.  He is focused on everything but me.  With my GSD it was the opposite, all she would ever look at is you, and do whatever you say.  Artax could care less about you and just wants to explore and chase birds. Do you guys have any ideas about how to make that different? Nugget is more like Kimber, he is very focused on us... and food. ... he loves food.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did good work OP

Oh I have done exactly this.  Nugget was gone for about 4 days for the surgery which gave us a change to have Artax bond with us.  They eat separately, and go out separately most of the time.  They also sleep in separate kennels.  I, out of necessity have to train them separately as well.  

I had a lab that was like Artax as a puppy, hard to keep focused.  Hot dogs cooked in the microwave till they were crisy and broken up or sliced into small treats worked very well. I only used them for training. He turned out to be one hell of a bird dog. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Both he and nugget are incredibly food centered.  They eat their food as fast as possible.  We had to get them bowls that are like puzzles so they take their time eating.  I have been trying to train with training treats that are supposed to be flavored like peanut butter, maybe they just are crappy.  I did see at the store training treats that are freeze dried chicken, so maybe I just need to switch.

The thing is, our GSD was so easy to train, that today, she needs no leash or collar and will literally do anything you say no matter how much she hates it.  She does stuff you know she hates just because you ask even if she has her head down and tail between her legs (when she needs a bath).  These guys are on a whole different wave length, and I am trying to bring them around.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Both he and nugget are incredibly food centered.  They eat their food as fast as possible.  We had to get them bowls that are like puzzles so they take their time eating.  I have been trying to train with training treats that are supposed to be flavored like peanut butter, maybe they just are crappy.  I did see at the store training treats that are freeze dried chicken, so maybe I just need to switch.

The thing is, our GSD was so easy to train, that today, she needs no leash or collar and will literally do anything you say no matter how much she hates it.  She does stuff you know she hates just because you ask even if she has her head down and tail between her legs (when she needs a bath).  These guys are on a whole different wave length, and I am trying to bring them around.
View Quote

Well, good luck, and thanks for your efforts. With their past, training is harder for you, and I appreciate what you two have done. Keep us posted. After I got to your gofundme site, I shared it on FB and even my mom is following. We're all pulling for them and you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Our pup is harder to train too OP. He's more interested in what the other two bigger dogs are doing. He's actually kind of skittish around us but plays away when the larger dogs are involved. He is learning, but seems to be learning from the larger male dog. Thank God Ruger is as good as he is or else we may have had to seperate them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I have had a few stubborn dogs.  You make treats:

Ingredients
2 ½ cups whole wheat flour (substitute regular flour or oats if your dog is sensitive to wheat)
1 tsp. salt (or less)
1 egg
1 tsp. Beef or chicken Bouillon granules (can substitute beef or chicken broth/stock)
½ cup hot water

4 to 6 strips of Bacon.  Diced or minced, cut to 1/4" squares.   You can pre-cook the bacon if you like, but not too crisp - the fat helps flavor the treats

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Dissolve bouillon in hot water
Add remaining ingredients
Knead dough until it forms a ball (approximately 3 minutes)
Roll dough until ½ inch thick

Cut into squares, 3/4 to 1" on a side
Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet
Cook for 30 minutes

Store them in the refrigerator.  Even a stubborn dog will work to get one of these.

You can substitute lunch meat, or cooked chicken - if you live bacon free.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Oh I have done exactly this.  Nugget was gone for about 4 days for the surgery which gave us a chance to have Artax bond with us.  They eat separately, and go out separately most of the time.  They also sleep in separate kennels.  I, out of necessity have to train them separately as well.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You did good work OP

They were independent long before they had to be.  

I rescued a dog that would eat bugs.  Even though we were feeding her crazy amounts of food.  She was used to eating them, and I suppose that she also was not sure for some time where her next meal would come from, so she ate what she could, when she could.

They are probably the same way, especially Artax, who likely had to fend for both of them.

Find a treat that works well for him.  Use it for training only.  Change it up a bit, so he doesn't always know what the reward will be (good treat, normal treat, kibble, rub).  When he tires of training or loses interest, go back to three good repetitions of something that he knows well (sit, lay, etc).  Stop there.  End on a high note.

Something else to consider is a clicker.  Click, give a treat.  Repeat.  He will soon associate the clicker with a treat and give you his attention.  You can then use the clicker to train other things too.  Again, vary the reward to keep him guessing.

It will come.  Just be patient and consistent.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:31:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

They're food motivated, so use that.  The freeze dried chicken would be good - make sure it isn't from China though.  There's a shop locally here that sells freeze dried bison lung (called Bison Cubes) - my Golden goes nuts for it.  They're from BoulderDogFoodCompany.com
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Just popping in to get my Monday Morning Puppy Fix.

How they coming along?
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#37]
don't expect those guys to focus n you like a german shep

try hand feeding the dog his meals he will definitely start focusing on you

it will also slow him down

just a little at time make him sit in between handfuls

a week or so and he will understand he needs to focus on you more
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Was Nugget getting his staples out today?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

He did.  He is no longer anemic, and he is cleared to be a normal dog again.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I had to euthanize a stray last night.  It was in really bad shape.

I fucking loathe people who abandon animals.  They are the worst form of barely sapient pond scum on earth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:40:32 PM EDT
[#41]
That's too bad.  Poor dog.  Are you a vet? It's nice that whatever you do, you are taking care of mistreated animals.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's too bad.  Poor dog.  Are you a vet? It's nice that whatever you do, you are taking care of mistreated animals.
View Quote

Andy has some awesome dog rescue threads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1622567_Demon_dog_hanging_out_at_my_front_gate___Another_demon_on_pg_14___.html
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woo and Hoo!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Andy has some awesome dog rescue threads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_75/1622567_Demon_dog_hanging_out_at_my_front_gate___Another_demon_on_pg_14___.html

I think having Dug is like a magnet for more strays.

Good on you, Johntlag.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Bravo OP!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:04:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Great to hear! OP is totally awesome for taking those two dogs in.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:11:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I know you have posted a bunch already but............

MOAR PITCHERS.....!!

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:59:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I know you have posted a bunch already but............

MOAR PITCHERS.....!!

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJoQBzEF6qSq7grTDjEDEt4zAt6xsztz9JyXWSjSryc3aJHghM
View Quote

Even Better, here is a video with bonus wife footage.

This is pretty much them all day.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:23:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Heartwarming to see them acting like regular, happy dogs. What a recovery. What a save.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top