BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where in the Bible does it clearly state that Jesus was a carpenter?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What kind of carpenter lives in a stone house

A carpenter might have meant a shipbuilder... Sea of Galilee, made friends with fishermen, and all that.

Something to consider.

Then he would have been a shipwright and not a carpenter

Matthew 13:55.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mark 6:3, but it's not He who claims it.

"Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary..."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful response..
Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read that the word carpenter is an incorrect translation. It is thought that Jesus was more of a "Wood Carver" than a carpenter. Wood was not really the primary item in construction of homes.

I could be wrong, but that I did read.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Absence of trees has always concerned me.  
I can't imagine wood being wasted on homes when there are zillions of stones laying around and what trees were used to produce food.  Boats, tools, some limited construction would be the uses for wood long before they started making furniture, etc..
View Quote

See my other post. I have read that he was more of a "wood carver" than what we know as a carpenter.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:10:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have read that the word carpenter is an incorrect translation. It is thought that Jesus was more of a "Wood Carver" than a carpenter. Wood was not really the primary item in construction of homes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still vote that he built boats... Always hanging out on the Galilee... Has fishermen for buddies... Boats are made of wood...

No way to really know, but it ties together rather well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe possibly wood framer then among other talents
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

There aren't exactly endless forests in that region.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#8]
The language can cause some confusion in a sense. Could be a builder in the general sense, or since livestock was big could have been for yokes and such. I could see tough a boat/ship builder as well with the importance they played.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Joseph was a "tekton" which is sometimes translated to carpenter but would also be used to describe any man who made a living with his hands.  There is strong belief among many Bible theologians that Jesus spent all or most of his time as a stone mason.  Demand for finished stone would have been much greater than for wood which was rarely used as a building material by the common folk.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Joseph was a "tekton" which is sometimes translated to carpenter but would also be used to describe any man who made a living with his hands.  There is strong belief among many Bible theologians that Jesus spent all or most of his time as a stone mason.  Demand for finished stone would have been much greater than for wood which was rarely used as a building material by the common folk.
View Quote

He is the cornerstone after all .
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

So basically a craftsman orr skilled tradesman, but no one can be certain what the trade actually was.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:21:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty of trees and forests all over the eastern mediteranean.
View Quote

It is as the Biblical account of the materials needed to build the house of God many refer to today as the Temple, or Solomon's Temple.
Many cedars and other great trees were floated down the coast to Israel from Lebanon paid for by King Solomon in gold and by many men.
Some forced labor, some who were supervisors and craftsmen who were not, and were paid handsomely for their endeavors for God and the king..

1st Kings 5:6
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

He grew up there so I take that to mean that he did not built it.
Maybe his dad was a Mason
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So basically a craftsman orr skilled tradesman, but no one can be certain what the trade actually was.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The meaning seems to favor a craftsman of wood... If that comes from a bias outside of the time and place of the texts origin is a matter for debate.

In theory, it could also mean author... In theory.

Plus we have the ultimate translation issue... The original text is in the Greek of the 1st century Eastern Med... But it is quoting people who were probably speaking Aramaic.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Because they spoke English, right?

Not so much. Carpentry as we think of it wasn't the biggest deal in Judea at that time. Building construction was not done with wood, furniture was a rarity for common people and much of it was stonework... But there are two things you would build out of wood in their culture; boats and chariots.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A carpenter might have meant a shipbuilder... Sea of Galilee, made friends with fishermen, and all that.

Something to consider.

Not so much. Carpentry as we think of it wasn't the biggest deal in Judea at that time. Building construction was not done with wood, furniture was a rarity for common people and much of it was stonework... But there are two things you would build out of wood in their culture; boats and chariots.

so you're saying Jesus could have been a used chariot salesman?

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something to consider.

meme time eh?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus built custom bikes. I think the evidence is clear on that.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:31:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something to consider.

New chariot salesman... Possible, but unlikely. To be honest those things weren't all that common, and could have been imported easily. Boats for the Galilee, however, would have to be built at the Galilee...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:17:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Currently there actually are

They have been planted recently but forests were there in the past.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:41:57 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the article. interesting to say the least. Everything is possible

QFT

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.607994346843475432&pid=1.7

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:20:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Have they found the house where Obama was born yet?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:52:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/Portals/0/WebSitesCreative_PostIt/675/7ac512a5-5dd2-4b68-970a-d72277ee9d06.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.israeltoday.co.il/Portals/0/WebSitesCreative_PostIt/675/7ac512a5-5dd2-4b68-970a-d72277ee9d06.jpg

Isn't it true that in just a little while Lebanon will become an orchard , and the orchard will seem like a forest? On that day (or in those latter times also) the deaf will hear the words of a document (or that of the Law of God), and out of the deep darkness the eyes of the blind will see. The humble will have joy after joy in the LORD, and the poor people (or the poor in spirit; the humble before God) will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

The Vision, Prophetic Message, and Inner-Testimony of ISAIAH
The Old Testament Book of ISAIAH; 29: 17-19 (direct commentary enclosed)
The Orchard of Lebanon: The Forest of God

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Solomon completed his entire palace-complex after thirteen years of construction.
He built the House of the Forest of Lebanon.
It was 150 feet long, 75 feet wide, and 45 feet high on four rows of cedar pillars, with cedar beams on top of the pillars. It was paneled above with cedar at the top of the chambers that rested on 45 pillars, fifteen per row.
There were three rows of window frames, facing each other in three tiers (Lit three times;= at three different places).
He made the hall of pillars 75 feet (Lit 50 cubits) long and 45 feet (Lit 30 cubits) wide.
A portico was in front of the pillars, and a canopy with pillars was in front of them.
He made the Hall of the Throne where he would judge-----the Hall of Judgment.
It was paneled with cedar from the floor to the rafters.

-----1st Kings; 7: 1-7
Construction of the Palace-Complex
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Carpenter in the sense of 1st century AD wasn't necessarily synonymous with wood worker. Israel was and is a desert, and good wood was scarce before the advent of modern trade.  In the sense of the nation of Israel at that time, the Greek word translated as "carpenter" could basically mean a builder or a stone mason.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:35:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Solomon's own palace where he would live, in the other courtyard behind the hall, was of similar construction.
And he made a house like this hall for Pharaoh's daughter, his wife.
All of these buildings were of costly stones, cut to size and sawed with saws on the inner and outer surfaces, from foundation to coping and from the outside to the great courtyard.
The foundation was made of large, costly stones 12 and 15 feet long (Lit ten cubits and eight cubits).
Above were also costly stones, cut to size, as well as cedar wood.
Around the great courtyard, as well as the inner courtyard of the LORD's temple and the portico of the temple, were three rows of dressed stone and a row of trimmed cedar beams.

-----1st Kings; 7: 8-12
Construction of the Palace-Complex
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

"IV. 1 After that again he went through the village, and a child ran and dashed against his shoulder. And Jesus was provoked and said unto him: Thou shalt not finish thy course (lit. go all thy way). And immediately he fell down and died...."

Shortly after He makes some people go blind cause they were upset about the whole situation .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just picture him doing something Mary chasing him down and he runs to a lake and just walks on the water so she can't get him.

"IV. 1 After that again he went through the village, and a child ran and dashed against his shoulder. And Jesus was provoked and said unto him: Thou shalt not finish thy course (lit. go all thy way). And immediately he fell down and died...."

Shortly after He makes some people go blind cause they were upset about the whole situation .

This is a quote from the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, which is a non-Biblical book that was written long after the Biblical gospels and is not accepted by Christianity as canonical.  IIRC, it was never included in any of the lists of accepted books by the Church Fathers and has never been considered by orthodox mainstream Christianity to be divinely inspired.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Carpenter in the sense of 1st century AD wasn't necessarily synonymous with wood worker. Israel was and is a desert, and good wood was scarce before the advent of modern trade.  In the sense of the nation of Israel at that time, the Greek word translated as "carpenter" could basically mean a builder or a stone mason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As it could also could be said here in Texas according to cheap labor and a process of underbidding by contractors who often break the law by the extensive use of unskilled and undocumented workers..
Cheap and not built to last in most cases and puts many real, "Carpenters," finish and framing crews out of business..
Ask me how I know..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

This is a quote from the Infancy Gospel of Thomas, which is a non-Biblical book that was written long after the Biblical gospels and is not accepted by Christianity as canonical.  IIRC, it was never included in any of the lists of accepted books by the Church Fathers and has never been considered by orthodox mainstream Christianity to be divinely inspired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just picture him doing something Mary chasing him down and he runs to a lake and just walks on the water so she can't get him.

Nor have I.
Thank you for this post..
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#31]
its definitely Jesus's childhood home. They found his football in the yard, the stitches were healed off of it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
its definitely Jesus's childhood home. They found his football in the yard, the stitches were healed off of it.
View Quote

I don't care what anyone says, cause that's a funny one right thar!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:57:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Very cool.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wonderful response..

Thank you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wonderful response..

Thank you.

At least he  can do it without the copy/paste

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wonderful response..
Thank you.

There's no, "copy/paste," according to what I post up, unless it has previously been originally posted by me which is less than about 30%.
They are Biblical Scriptures that I have selected with direct commentary enclosed and have been hand-typed by me directly from the word of God.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top