Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2015 1:25:06 PM EDT
http://youtu.be/mHjhgeyhuKk

Neat vid I found.

If someone would be so kind as to embed it for me please.

Now with a Brian Shul lecture!

http://youtu.be/o_Gyd6EYuXI

Would someone please embed this one too? Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just took the kids to see the SR-71 at the museaum out by the airport - the Udvar-Hazy (air and space) Museum.  

If anyone is planning to visit Washington D.C. this year:  here is a tip:  the BEST Air and Space museum to visit is the one by Dulles Airport in nearby Virginia.  You can also see a real space shuttle there, along with the one and only Enola Gay.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Neat vid I found.

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I post this whenever a Blackbird thread comes up. It's the story of moving the SR test bed to Area 51. Lots of pics too.

Moving the bird.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep - that picture was taken inside Udvar-Hazy.  The museum itself is free.  Parking is like $15 per truck/van/car load of people.  

They let you take food & gum inside, but you cant eat on the premises. There is a McDonalds in the museum.  Bring walking shoes - its a big place!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]
oh so tagged.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I post this whenever a Blackbird thread comes up. It's the story of moving the SR test bed to Area 51. Lots of pics too.

Moving the bird.
View Quote

And that's yet another cool story! Thanks for sharing it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Moving the bird.
View Quote

That was neat to see. Thanks for posting
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Very good and well worth the time.

Thanks

Why have I never heard of this place before? I have been to Dayton many times and the Air and Space In DC once.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Different than most vids. I think id really like to spend a day walking around he place with the capt. He seemed like a pretty good tour guide.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
State of the art 1962 computer:

State of the art 1962 airplane:

Fucking incredible.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Love SR-71 Tuesday!

Now I'm wondering after watching the Vid and knowing what I think I know about the USSR.

Did they ever develop an aircraft that was/is as capable as our SR-71 and did they overfly Canada/the US during the cold war?

Would love to hear those stories.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 5:27:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the closest plane they had was the MiG 25 reconnaissance version. It flew high and fast but not as high and fast as our SR, but did cause quite a stir when a pair overflew Israel and Middle East during the Six Day War (I think that was when it happened. Going from memory here and sometimes....)

But they never overflew the U.S.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:04:24 PM EDT
[#14]
A couple interesting facts about the Blackbird family:

- There are more Blackbirds in Alabama than any other state except perhaps the PRK.  However, none of them are SR-71's.

- The SR-71 first flew in Dec. 1964.  However, this is the last first flight of any Blackbird.  The A-12 first flew April 1962, the YF-12 first flew on August, 1963, and the M-21 variant first flew April, 1964.  

- Interestingly, the first flight of the M-21 with it's D-21 drone was on the exact same day as the first flight of the SR-71: 22 Dec., 1964.  The M-21 took off from Area 51 while the SR took off from Palmdale, CA.

- People ask what's the difference between the A-12 single seat vs. the two seat SR-71.  The answer is simple:  The A-12 did all the heavy lifting of Blackbird aircraft development and flight testing.  The SR-71 got all the glory.

Now you know.

http://www.blackbirds.net/sr71/sr-timeline/srtl60.html
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:07:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love SR-71 Tuesday!

Now I'm wondering after watching the Vid and knowing what I think I know about the USSR.

Did they ever develop an aircraft that was/is as capable as our SR-71 and did they overfly Canada/the US during the cold war?

View Quote

When I was in the AF there were rumors of "something" that flew in over the pole, south across the US & Canada, turned around and flew back north over the pole.  Supposedly whatever it was, was untouchably fast.

Per the rumor it only happened once.

Speculation in Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine was that it was a recon satellite flying a variation the "Molniya orbit" that put it at low altitude over the US, instead of a high altitude orbit normally seen with Russian Molniya TV satellites.  If not, it would indicate that in the 1970s the Russians had something along the lines of a space plane like some versions of the Aurora are described to be.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Photo of my wife sitting in one.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Very good and well worth the time.

Thanks

View Quote

Ditto I can't get enough of that plane
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:12:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Moving the bird.
View Quote

Thanks for posting that again. Cool stuff.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:08 AM EDT
[#21]
The SR71 has always been that holy grail aircraft for me, starting with my childhood.  The damn thing has been retired and reactivated too many times to count.  I lost hope in ever seeing an actual in flight, but wouldn't you know it, the moment immediately after being discharged, as I was walking out of our squadron HQ doors for the last time I heard the most god awful rumbling and roar coming from the flight line area.  

When I glanced over I saw an SR71 taking off.  For the first time in my life I finally was able to witness one in flight, and it so happened to be the day I said good bye to the USAF forever.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:28:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
NICE!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I would have that same tickled pink look on my face, too!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Can we please have that America back?

In a time when science and technology was looked up to and intelligence was something to be proud of?

What a fucking shame at the decline this country has had the past 20 alone.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#24]
There is NO question in my mind that the SR-71 uses 'borrowed' alien technology....that was only to be used in small closely-guarded uber secret projects. Proof?

THIS was the result of development started in 1957 (as the A-12):

Four years later, the development of this plane started:

yeah, ok.  I love me some F111 as much as the next guy....but forget about that being a decent plane and look at those 2 pictures and think about which one looks like the newer/better tech. That nose-on view of the 71 is SCREAMING alien spaceship!!!!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Tagscribe.

Remember the hat that said 6+
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#26]
I always ask for details on the cameras they used for the recon flights. Nobody ever replies...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:32:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is NO question in my mind that the SR-71 uses 'borrowed' alien technology....that was only to be used in small closely-guarded uber secret projects. Proof?

THIS was the result of development started in 1957 (as the A-12):

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/4103473/SR-71A_head-on_NASA_Dryden_1995.jpg

Four years later, the development of this plane started:

http://www.airpics.net/UserFiles/pics/medium/A8-127-General-Dynamics-F-111C-Royal-Australian-Air-Force/7300/7285m.jpg

yeah, ok.  I love me some F111 as much as the next guy....but forget about that being a decent plane and look at those 2 pictures and think about which one looks like the newer/better tech. That nose-on view of the 71 is SCREAMING alien spaceship!!!!
View Quote

How do you know what an alien spaceship looks like?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I always ask for details on the cameras they used for the recon flights. Nobody ever replies...
View Quote

Gee, I wonder why?

I'll bet the details on those cameras and sensors will be classified for a long time to come
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Great video, thanks.

Is that you in the LaRue Tactical het? That guy was proud of that hat!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Great video, thanks.

Is that you in the LaRue Tactical het? That guy was proud of that hat!
View Quote

Not me! But I loved how he faced it towards the camera!

Between that and his t-shirt I wondered what his screen name is.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:48:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When I was in the AF there were rumors of "something" that flew in over the pole, south across the US & Canada, turned around and flew back north over the pole.  Supposedly whatever it was, was untouchably fast.

Speculation in Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine was that it was a recon satellite flying a variation the "Molniya orbit" that put it at low altitude over the US, instead of a high altitude orbit normally seen with Russian Molniya TV satellites.  If not, it would indicate that in the 1970s the Russians had something along the lines of a space plane like some versions of the Aurora are described to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Love SR-71 Tuesday!

I'll bet it was more than once.

We flew all kinds of stuff all over the boarders of the USSR/China/N Korea/Vietnam/Libya/Egypt/Cuba etc and from what I recall hearing we lost a number of aircraft and crews on missions.  The U-2 was the most "famous" but I've also heard that B-56s and others were lost.
Now if we are doing this kind of thing.......I'm darn good and sure that our adversaries are doing it too. Canada is huge and it would take a sneeky bugger to get over Palmdale/or Central Nevada that's for sure but I'm guessing they at least tried.
We also developed some wicked fast anti aircraft missles back in the 60's (Nike and Ajax come to mind).  Why?

Fun times and Great stories.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#33]
SR used to leave Palmdale at 8:00 AM, fly around the perimeter of the continental US, and be back in time for lunch.

The one at U-H is the 'house bird' used to test subsystems.
It is loaded with thermocouples used tasting of equipment.

A real PITA to design equipment.
Everything required cooling.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not all that many.
It was mostly used as a 'prompt' aircraft while other systems watched how the enemy responded.

The vibration environment was not all that conducive to high resolution work.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I watched a show a few years back, I don't remember the channel, that showed the camera.  It was pretty neat, it twisted and spun on about 3 axis's to compensate for the motion of the plane across the ground.  That is how it could take perfectly clear photos at Mach 3+.

Kind of neat how they solved so many problems back then with just some clever ideas.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:35:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I was at the grocery store the other week.  When I was done and went back out to my jeep I saw the car that was parked beside me had a license plate on it that said "Roadrunners International" on it and the silhouettes of a SR71 and U2.  I thought that was interesting.  By the time I got my groceries put away and the cart put back I saw a old man walking toward my jeep, and subsequently the car that was beside my jeep.  I rolled my window down and asked him what he knew about the SR71.  

His eyes lit up and he began telling me about his story with the SR 71.  He was in on the project from the beginning.  For years his wife did not know where he worked at or what he did.  All she knew is he was transferred from the Navy to the Air Force after the war.

The part of the story that appeared to make him the happiest is when he told me about taking his grandson to the Udvar Hazy Museum and showed him the SR 71.  The museum curator allowed him and his grandson to actually check out the Blackbird.  The gentleman related that his grandson did not believe that "grandpa" could have been involved with something like the SR71.  Especially with out a computer!  He said it was slide rules that got the job done!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#38]

And oh yeah, it wasn't designed on any computer...just a slide rule.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just took the kids to see the SR-71 at the museaum out by the airport - the Udvar-Hazy (air and space) Museum.  

If anyone is planning to visit Washington D.C. this year:  here is a tip:  the BEST Air and Space museum to visit is the one by Dulles Airport in nearby Virginia.  You can also see a real space shuttle there, along with the one and only Enola Gay.
View Quote

I was there in January and it is awesome.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Never got to sit in one - but I got to climb a ladder and look into the cockpit, saw it take off later....uneventful in itself - but when you imagined what it could do once in flight....well, that was very exciting as a kid........Dad may or may not have worked on some parts of that aircraft......Still my favorite high speed plane.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:07:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I Love these threads. Gets me all warm and patriotic inside.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:08:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Great thread, thanks
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I was there in January and it is awesome.
View Quote
Plus the NRA museum is right down the road.  

Two of my favorite east coast museums!

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

iThingy
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:57:28 AM EDT
[#46]
I quoted it and then had to go back to work and forgot to watch it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:14:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://youtu.be/mHjhgeyhuKk

Neat vid I found.

Awsome.
Then right at the end the big guy with the Larue hat and a Black Sabbath t-shirt.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Awesome Vid!  Love all things Blackbird!
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I posted that because it's probably the best dumbed down explanation of how it works that I've seen. Especially about all of the different bleed doors, what they were for and what flight parameters they operated in.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iThingy

I posted that because it's probably the best dumbed down explanation of how it works that I've seen. Especially about all of the different bleed doors, what they were for and what flight parameters they operated in.

Okay. I stayed after work a bit to watch it. That is a cool, simple explanation. Thanks for sharing it Waldo!
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Bump with new video added.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top